Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:20 pm 

Just received an sms from Jaco:

Quote:
Hyenas at fence.

It is P A R T Y time!!

Post subject: Southern Kruger Sightings for Sept 2005
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:43 pm 

Apparently we were very lucky - saw 4 leopards (none in trees though) - met some people who had only seen one in 9 years. Felt a bit guilty. Never saw a Cheetah or a wild dog - had to save something for next time I guess....

Saturday 10 September:

Elephant on H2-2 and Buffalo
Lion at Matjulu Watering Hole

Leopard at Mlambane River on S114

Hyena Pups on H3 on the way to Afsaal from S120 (Not exactly sure where)

Sunday 11 September:

Got caught in the middle of a herd of Buffalo crossing the road on Malelane to Berg-en-dal Road.
Leopard in the distance on Mtomeni River Bed (No picture so I can’t prove it)
Pride of Lions (Silhouettes through trees) near Gezantfombi Dam on H4-2 (Picture not worth posting)
Hippos in Crocodile River at Crocodile Bridge Camp
Warthog on Crocodile River Road

Baby elephant suckling along the S25 (Crocodile River Road) at about 15h00 in the afternoon.

Big Leopard crossing the road near James Road on S25 (probably the same leopard as Saturday)

Monday 12 September:

Blue headed tree Agama at campsite in Berg en Dal
Lilac Breasted Roller (No idea why I remember him)

Herd of Elephant crossing - middle of S118

Rock Monitor (I think) at intersection of S118 and H3 (Thought it was a cow pat, then it moved – heat and Amarula playing tricks on me)

Night Drive:
Civet
Rhino
Elephant
Pride of Lion (2 Male, 3 Female and 2 cubs)

White Tailed Mongoose

Tuesday 13 September:

Vulture near Matjulu
Maribou Stork outside Bergendal
Elephant walking past Afsaal
Leopard marking territory on bridge near Kwaggaspan (H3)

Wednesday 14 September:

Elephant and Baby

Small Bataleur Eagle
Lone Giraffe visiting the Abasini Ruins
Crested Barbet

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:13 pm 

The only action we got from the Lions was when one of the males shifted in his sleep - the female snapped at him and then moved - the cubs followed her later.

They really didn't seem bothered by the game viewing vehicle and all the spot lights... it was as if it happened every day (kinda zoo like). I think I selfishly preferred the things that we spotted on our own during the day... seemed less rehearsed - more surprising.

I am now a Kruger Holic and I keep telling myself that I must not get used to seeing sooo much, or we might be disapointed next time.

Still day dreaming about it.... darn and I've got work to do.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:36 am 

Just in from Jaco:

Quote:
Woke up to lion roar at 3 this morn. Saw zebs, buff, giraffe, kudu, waterbuck. Large herd (20-30) ellies.

It is P A R T Y time!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:07 pm 

we did see impalas... but yes, more leopards than impalas....

this one looks like it was trying to push a big rock, (idiot.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:00 am 

Got this an hour ago from Jaco:

Quote:
Rhino!

It is P A R T Y time!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What a trip! Will be remembered for various reasons. Mostly good and some bad.
DB, thank you for posting my sightings.

Friday 16/09
Left for BnD at 6:30, had a good trip down. Arrived at Malelane Gate at 11:30. Saw two beautiful sadlebillstork when we crossed the bridge over the Crocodile river. On our way to the camp we saw impala, giraffe, zebra, warthog. And off course the LIT. Saw a lot off cars stopped on the road. As I pulled up a friendly lady pointed out that there was a Leopard in a tree. It lay sleeping. WOW!!!! What a day (no pictures sorry, did not borrow a digi cam for this trip :(, besides, the camera I usually borrow would not have been capable off photographing that far)
Set up camp 2m from the fence.

Stayed in camp for the rest of the day, not out off choice but due to issues at work, had to stay within cell signal :(

Hyenas at the fence over dinner.
We had the most amazing experience with lions around camp. Woke up at 01:00 to check on my son. Heard lions roar to the west off camp. At 03:00 I woke from the lions roaring very close to camp. Then at 4:30 heard them again to the east of camp.

Saturday
Morning: Drove the S110 to Matjulu, and then on to the H3. Wentback via the H3 to camp. Saw giraffe, impies, kudu, warthog. Alos a large breeding herd of Ellies (20-30+) individuals. Also 5 Buffalo on the S110(tar)/H3 intersection.

Afternoon: Drove up the H3 to S120 followed that to the S110, Matjulu and back to camp. Saw Ellies, 20-30 buffalo and the usual: impies, giraffe, kudu, zebs.

Sunday
Packed up this morning, left camp at around 9. Went down to Malelane gate and left for home. On our way out we saw, kudu, zebs, impies, warthog. And then about 1.5km from the gate one lone rhino!!! I jumped for joy, nearly struck out on rhino this trip.

It was good to take "new" visitors to KNP. The boys (both aged 5) had a ball. My son had his first real sighting. He pointed out a giraffe we did not see. He was more than chuffed :). If it was not for issues at work (I was kept busy on Saturday as well), the weekend would have been perfect. You can't win them all.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
Thanks for the report Jaco!! Pity about the work interruptions on such a short visit :evil:

How are the burnt areas in the Park looking?

Glad the boys had such a great time. Have we some new Krugerholics? Did the first timers enjoy the Park?

The burnt areas around BnD is much the same as when I was there in June. There is new shoots visible, but these will be gone soon if there is no rain. The park is realy dry, most of the natural waterpools are dry.

I hope I was able to create an awareness of KNP. I know there is more to KNP than the big 5, but that was the idea for this weekend. Just to get them hooked. Only time will tell. They enjoyed it tremendously. The kids loved the hyena patrolling the fence.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:55 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

But I'm home safe, also after a mixed weekend.
The park was, as always, fantastic, we did the Madlabantu 4 x 4 adventure trail and didn't see another vehicle all day, amazing. Can't wait to do all the others now. These trails really are worth every cent. We booked at 7am when reception opened and and spent till 5pm on the trail, a herd of buffs held us up for over an hour and the road is so narrow you just have to be patient, every sighting is just yours :) .
We saw steenbock, duiker, giraffe, rhino, kudu, impala, zebra, klipspringer, squirrel, wildebeest, bushbuck, buffalo, elephant, mongoose and had Mtshawu Dam all to ourselves with lots of hippos out of the water.
The camp site at Pretoriuskop is another story, it was so noisy with the weekend party people who never leave camp that I now think the camping sites are way underpriced and that they attract the sort of people who don't care about wildlife but just want a cheap weekend away from the town.
Better not say anymore or I may get thrown off.

Post subject: Fevertree's day visit 18 September
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Entered at Phabeni at 6 am - within 50m of the gate had seen a buffalo (standing in the middle of the Albasini ruins :) ) and elephant in the Phabeni Spruit.
Traveled along the S3. Very little game along this road, despite its proximity to the Sabie River.
From Skukuza, went north towards Tshokwane. Great general game viewing at all the dams along this route. Interestingly, ground hornbill families at each of the dams (Mantimahle, Jones, and Siloweni).
Travelled south over Nkumbe and found the biggest concentrations of zebra and wildebeest I have seen in the Park in along time around the few remaining pools of water in the Mlondozi Spruit. I am sure there must be hordes of lions around with these game concentrations. Greta ostrich sightings as well in this area.
Rhino spotted just south of Mlondozi dam, as well as a large herd of buffalo and elephants all along the route.
Travelled back to Skukuza via the "highway". Large pride of lions in the Sabi River at the Lubye Lubye Bridge west of LS. Great sighting, but boy what a traffic jam :(
Another highlight was a white headed vulture along this road.
Overall, the Park is depressingly dry. The grazing along the banks of the Sabie river is non existent. Can see the impala and warthogs are beginning to take strain - hip bones sticking out and condition not great overall.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I certainly hope so. Must say, that the frogs were going off there heads last night with their calling. I really though I would wake up to rain this morning, but no luck, hot and sunny again. But the frogs must know something is on the way for all their activity last night. Can only hope.
When you see a post with the heading RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN then you know that we have had rain in the Lowveld! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:32 pm 

...how lucky can 1 person be!??? staying in Nelspruit, going to Kruger for the day..... :evil: I'm jealous.... :lol:

I was in the Park last weekend (9-11 Sept) and also found it to be very dry.... (stayed at L/Sabie)...... feel sad for all the animals. However, sightings were good and saw many game (incl. a cheetah with her 4 cubs as well as a leopard in a tree (!!!!) on Salitje road....).....

Envious of your lifestyle (however, when I'm overwhelmed with blues for KNP, I don't hesitate to jump in my car and drive out there for a weekend).

Thanx for your report.

Post subject: Kruger trip report 15-20 Sept.
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all, just quick report

Camps stayed at - Satara, Skukuza, Croc bridge, and Mbyamiti.

Night drives - Satara - lions seen, then Skukuza - leopard, but Mbyamiti - no big furries, but best sunset drive experience - guide good.

Some highlights -
- Lake panic - great birding and 'hippoing', that dam has become great for photographers
-female leopard - Lower sabie rd, W Lubyelubye crossing - she was bit injured, and may be in that area for while - check if anyones going soon - taht drainage below where the bee-eaters nest on that sand cliff.
- Gymnogene (African harrier hawk) - clambering about trees and probing its feet into holes after all and sundry.
- lions - vurhami spruit crossing, N Croc bridge - usual deal.
-Ntanyathi hide - nice spot, general game and birding,
- Mbyamiti river rd. - abounding with all big 5, big herds of buff, rhino, eles, and the cats were seen by some at same time - good rd to do now - strongly recommended.
- 6 lionesses on hunt between old Malelane-Skukuza rd. & Mbyamiti camp in Mbyamiti.
-Croc river from the bridge at Malelane gate - great spot to observe riverine/ aquatic species interactions.
Saw cormorant course after a fish and catch in from above !! and three little black crakes that harassed a small leguaan by chasing it away and pecking at its tail while doing so - that was very interesting to see (personal highlight - though not discrediting seeing lions and what not !). Plenty of fish, crocs, birds etc. and the water is clear and all. Great spot for avid photographers to spend some time..

Regards all,

w

Post subject: DavenJan's trip to KNP and Ngwenya Lodge 16-19 Sept
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Friday 16th.
Packed up the wife two daughters and 5½ year old grandson (Dean) and headed for Numbi.

Entered at 10.50, first impression, drought and fire , no long grass in fact hardly any grass. Small herd of buffalo after about 1km. Not much other game except for a number of Duiker and Steinbuck along the way. Stopped at Shitlave dam, not much water, but ‘Drifters’ like tour ‘wagon’ with a couple out of the vehicle. It became obvious the young lady was looking for the toilet. We left before she embarrassed us and herself.

Saw plenty of kudu a few impala and giraffe on road to Transport dam.
More water here, saw hippo, waterbuck, impala, and glimpsed a rhino.
Onwards towards skukuza, family of Klipspringer on rocks before Malelane turning.

Stopped at Skukuza to show the ‘girls’ the changes since the floods and showed Dean the bats in the lapas. Sorry about the focus, but this bat seems to have a collar.

Not too busy, cooled off in the shop, left wallet in the car. Hey with three women you can’t be too careful!

Heading for Lower Sabie, not much around, heat and scarce vegetation not helping. Saw elephant, Kudu and Impala, baboon and vervets. Stopped at Nhuhlu picnic site for a stretch. Never seen so little water in the river.

Nice family of ground hornbill by the road, obviously get fed as one headed towards the car. About 2km from L/S traffic jam, lions on a kill, can only see one an kill, with 3 seen in bush nearby. Tree full of Vultures, and idiot sitting through sun roof to take photos (see picture – Mozambique registration.).

Onwards to Sunset dam ( one of my favourite places), lots of hippos, and on the banks and lots of big crocs.
Have to head onward to Crocodile Bridge and Ngwenya. Saw more elephant, giraffe, zebra and at last 3 wildebeest. Lovely sighting of Martial Eagle.

Left Croc bridge at about 16.30 for Ngwnya. Chalet at west end , when we opened the curtains the elephants were just off the patio!

They moved on so we could sit outside later. Its quite dry there but water is flowing in places. Resident hippos crocs and buffalo. Lots of smaller birds around, weavers, sparrows, waxbills,hornbills, doves/pidgeons. Great discovery, there is a Green Pidgeon nesting in the tree by our patio.
Heard lions roaring during the night, but were not close.

Off to Cric bridge gate for opening, what a circus. Headed for L/S on the sand road and saw two rhino then another 3,
and a lovely pearl spotted owl next to the road

Not much activity at the Nhlanganzwani Dam, but we stopped at the bird hide and a Fish Eagle came to visit. Hippos in the water and also saw Goliath heron, openbilled stork, little bee eater. Seeing lots of Kudu along the way some zebra and giraffe but no wildebeest.
Stopped at L/S for a break and snack then on to Mlondozi Dam. It was quieter at the restaurant at LS than at Mlondozi. Seems to have become the breakfast/brunch stop of note. Lots of hippo, waterbuck impala and baboons around, but unfortunately it was not enjoyable to just sit and enjoy the views.

Headed back for Croc bridge finding two lovely male lions resting along the way , must be hot a giraffe walk past in the background ignored by the lions.

Left croc bridge about 14.00 and back to Ngwenya . Spent the rest of the weekend lazing on the patio watching the game and birds come to visit us, and lounging around the pool.

Sunday evening the buffalos were grazing about 20 meters from the patio, and later in the evening a hyena strolled past, fortunately scared off by the torch light.

We had a great weekend, quite restful overall, saw 4 of big 5 on both visits to park ( no leopard) and Ngwenya was terrific, a great break. Saw a great variety of game and over 90 birds without really trying.

Unfortunately as we were inside packing up to leave on Monday morning something raided the Green Pidgeon nest and cleaned it out.
For more pictures go to :-
my Flickr site

Post subject: Re: Kruger trip report 15-20 Sept.
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:00 am 

wildjohn wrote:
-Croc river from the bridge at Malelane gate - great spot to observe riverine/ aquatic species interactions.
Saw cormorant course after a fish and catch in from above !! and three little black crakes that harassed a small leguaan by chasing it away and pecking at its tail while doing so - that was very interesting to see (personal highlight - though not discrediting seeing lions and what not !). Plenty of fish, crocs, birds etc. and the water is clear and all. Great spot for avid photographers to spend some time..

Thanx for the report.Can't wait to see some pics.

Yes we stayed longer on the bridge than we thought leaving the Park on that way in 2003.
It's a great spot just to stay there and watch.
We saw a cormorant chasing fishes too.And lots of huge crocs.

We will stop there again this year in November.

katy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next