Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: BB & Bullet in Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

My mate Bullet is more knowledgable about 4x4 driving and gadgets than anyone I know. We have been to Wilderness and Richtersveld together, plus other non SANP places. If I forget something, it does not matter, Bullet has brought 5. :roll: He brings his long suffering wife and 2 well behaved (disciplined) adorable children along. They all get on very well with my wife and I.

We are all going camping to Bontebok NP this weekend. It is largely a chill out time, but I hope to have some great bird sightings to up my list, and meet some of the mammals that live there.

We hope you will enjoy a virtual trip with us.

Post subject: Re: BB & Bullet in Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

First snag :wall:

Miss bullet is ill. Mom has stayed home with her while the men have gone tonight.

We leave in the morning. If miss has recovered sufficiently overnight, they will com with us.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Not my daughter Micetta, Bullet's.

I had just got up when the home phone rang. It was Mrs bullet, asking if we has left yet. :huh:
It was with happy hearts my wife & I detoured slightly to load up Mrs Bullet and the 'feeling much better' Miss Bullet, it was not the dreaded swine flu after all.

We were on the N2 east before sunrise, and the road to Swellendam was not as busy as I thought it would be, so our ETA at Bontebok was 9h30.

Bullet spoilt the surprise by ringing en route to say that there was no answer on his home phone, and the way he greeted his women when we arrived told us he was rather happy to see them.

We unloaded and pitched the tent, but now it is nearly time for Survivor.....

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Yeah I love survivor, especially the way some of the contestants say 'I didn't realize it was so tough' when they could have watched any of the other 14 series to see that. And the way some of the also rans think it is a game of integrity and honesty.

We survived Bontebok, no we enjoyed it.

After setting up camp, we went to the Canola festival in Swellendam where I met the legendary Afrikaans singer, David Fourie. Anyone heard of him? I hadn't.

We returned in the late afternoon, and by then had seen 21 bontebok, 14 Cape mountain zebra, 8 grey rhebok and a red hartebeest. Granted we had not driven around much. The birding was good, with weavers, sunbirds and shrikes in abundance and a black harrier near reception. We also saw a Denham's bustard.

We had a bread potjie and wors for supper, and retired for the night after a very warm day, as a heavy dew formed and the temperatures plummetted. My wife laughed at me when I packed the electric blanket, but she was thankful I did!

Pics to follow.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

We froze in the Karoo NP last year. Must be getting soft in my old age.

Malachite sunbird. They abound in the park.

The reason for the park. The lovely bontebok. Thereare about 200 in the park, and periodically they are exported to surrounding game parks to increase the numbers and broaden their footprint.

The Bullet family quarters

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Will post a few more pics of this lovely creature, but first I missed out some info.

The new gate is not yet in operation, so you still have to enter on the old road, which turns left off the N2 approaching from the east, at the right turn into the east side Swellendam. You pass the refuse dump and then the airfield, and over the railway line and you are in.

The lady who was on duty at reception all 3 days we were there was very pleasant and quite knowledgeable. There was not much available in the 'shop'. Booze, ice cream, biltong, crisps, cooldrinks and some souvenirs including an excellent brochure with lovely pictures, caps and t-shirts. The drinks etc were not overpriced.

The ice creams went down well in the 28 degree heat while we watched the malachite sunbird and some of his pals flitting from aloe to aloe. Not a bad pastime at all!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Both female and male have horns?

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Yes, the baby even shows small ones.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The blow up mattress has a small leak, so I had to top it up in the middle of the night. :doh:
The tent exterior was soaking with dew, but soon dried out as the morning temperature climbed in another perfect African morning. Things were happening rather slowly, so I went birding and yellow ribbon hunting. The usuial birds were about, and I was amused by the pin-tailed whydah. This cheeky chappie tolerated nobird, and was chasing off others well above his fighting eight.

A yellow ribbon! I had done my homework and found AlaninPhilly & family. They were enjoying the peace of Bontebok before heading for the hectic Kruger. We had a great chat, and I hop e theadvice I gave them was absorbed, but I am sure they are in for a blast!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Was at the great meet last night in CT. Read about that first please to gimme a chance to recover. No it's not what you're thinhking. I was last to leave and at work at 7h00. I have a meeting after work, so I will get to it as soon after that as I can get my notes in order.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Lunch time & I have some notes.

Something I forgot. On Sunday morning I saw an amazing sighting. I only twigged to get the camera when it was too late. :wall: It was totally unexpected, although I have seen similar ones in other national parks before. A large, rotund female of the human species walked the length of the camping area to the ablution block in brightly coloured pajamas with an unmatching gown covering some of them. On its head, was a towel and it carried a bag of some sort. Wow! some people must be in limbo like the guy on telly that feels at home in the hotel, when he comes down into the lobby in his flimsy underpants and passes, no forces wind while pouring his early morning coffee, and then realizing where he was, drops it on the floor. This lady didn't flinch!

I was ready for her on Monday, but she didn't appear. :cry:

Talking about the shower, I test drove it a bit later, and it was possibly the best I have ever had in a NP. The water flow was strong from both taps. THe hot water got hot quickly. Too hot in fact, and to make matters worse, I turned the wrong tap down and scalded myself, but that was no fault of the shower. :redface: There was a thick shower chrtain, which kept the other half totally dry, and tthere were 3 pegs to hang my stuff on, plus a fold up chair. My only reservation is that it could have been a bit bigger.

When we got everyone together for a drive, we took the eastern loop, and after a sharp bend, my wife briefly saw what looked like an eagle on the ground shaking its 'wings', but it disappeared :shock: .

Lunch time over.....

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

More things to report on.

This was the first time I have been to BNP and there were no animals during waking hours that is, that came into the campsite. It is rumoured that as soon as I got to sleep, a large herd of buffalo was heard near my tent. That is rubbish, as there are no buffs in BNP, but the same people also said they heard them in Richtersveld when we went there. How can you believe such people. :doh:

A little way from our tent was a Greek family, and the daughter told my wife that she had heard strange noises in the night and described them to her father, who said it might have been a leopard. :twisted: Now that sounds bettere than buffalo. :roll:

While we were doing the braai one pleasant evening this elderly foursome came past our campsite playing Boulle, the French version of travelling bowls. They had to endure some jibes from the spectators and were gracious enough not to klap me.

Will post some general pics soon.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]