Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Persistence + Patients = Magic
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone

Yesterday we came back from 5 nights in BnD and at the beginning of the trip I wasn't planning on writhing a TR but due to a certain amount of events I felt that I have to share our experience with everyone!

The trip started a day earlier than planned because friends of my parents were staying in a resort in wit rivier and they asked us to come for a braai and sleep over for the night!My dad had allot to do at work, so we only left JHB at 12 on the 1ste of Sept.We got to the resort between 17:00-17:30!

I could not wait to get home (KNP) and stay at BnD for the 1ste time!That night we had leke 'pap and vleis' and we all got a good nights sleep in woke up had a very nice breakfast and decided to enter at Paul Kruger gate coz we have not entered there for a while!

Ok so we left at around 9am heading to Paul Kruger gate.We got the gate at around 10:15-10:30

Finally I am home!

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Post subject: Re: Persistence + Patients = Magic
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the support guys!
G@mespotter :naughty: :naughty: :lol: :lol:

I am busy working through my 650 pics so hopefully if all goes well the 1ste installment will be done in the next two days!But to start off the day we left Witrivier was a disaster! :evil: :evil:

Stay tuned :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good day everyone

Today I will post the events from when we got to the gate!
Just before the gate we got pulled over by metro twice in less than 2km.The 1ste time was because we dont have reflector tape on our trailer and the 2nd time was just a license check.
Ok we got to the gate just after 10 and must say I cant remember Paul Kruger gate coz I was a little boy when we last entered there!Took a quick pic of the statue before we went in!

We took the tar road to Skz but didn't go to the camp coz we had a long drive down to BnD.As we entered we didn't see allot of game only a few impala.I have heard of so many people that see a leopard when the enter Paul Kruger gate but we were not that lucky.My goal for the trip was to see another leopard since we didn't see one the previous trip and my second goal was to see any animal that I have not yet seen before!

From Skz we took the H1-1 down to BnD.Just past Granotkop big 5 number 1 a Rhino no not just a rhino a BLACK rhino.It was very nice to see 1 again.I have only seen two before and that was my third so was very nice to start our trip with a black rhino.It was actually funny that certain people just had a look and drive off not even stopping just slowing down.Not realizing which animal it really is!

We drove on and I think it was a bit hot for most animals coz we didnt see much until we got to Kwaggaspan where there were a few giraffe a white rhino and some left-overs from a hyena.As we drove on from there we realized that something was not right coz the car was making a funny sound and it felt as if you are driving over those speed bumps near a tollgate.We thought ag its nothing maybe just because we are driving slow and the car is loaded!So we just drove on.

Big 5 number 2 came a while later just before afsaal I took a few pics and we are off again and that noise is getting worse and feels as if the whole car is shaking more than usual.We cant do anything about it now just have to wait til when we get back home!

Got some refreshments at afsaal and heading to BnD for the 1ste time.About 3km after renoster pan disaster struck with a car shaking and big bang.We all got a huge fright.I look out of my window and the left back tyre bursted.What now??? :huh: We are in the middel of Kruger and the tyre bursted.Well what can we do other than fix it! Luckily just as it happened a car stopped and asked if we are ok.My dad told him what happened and asked if they can just wait and keep watch while we change the tyre!ME my dad and brother got out.And if you drive a condor you know how hard it is to get the spare tyre! :wink: While my brother hold the trailer (happened on the middle of a hill) I was jacking the car up and my dad getting the spare wheel.While we were busy changing the tyre a police man stopped and asked if we are ok.YES were are getting there!Was 13:00pm and in the 30's.He said sorry he cannot help he needs to be somewhere!I asked my dad so why did he get out of his car just to ask us he could have stoped next to the car anyway was probably with good intention.Tyre of battled to get the flat tyre back under the car but eventually we got it done!

While driving on we debated what to do coz we still need to set up camp and all!Will we go get new tyres in the morning or will my dad drop us off and go do it?We decided that he must go to Malelane and get new tyres while we set up camp!We got to camp at 2pm and drove around got a nice spot and we packed out and dad went to malelane.Around 1½ hours later we just finished setting up my dad got back and got 2 new back tyres.

Everyone tyred I asked ok so who wants to go for a drive?No one wants to got so I went alone!Plan drive the S110 tar then onto H3 then onto S110 gravel and then S120 and then head back via H3 and the tar S110.Mission find those leopards we only hear about in the 'Berg and Dal sightings'.

While driving on the S120 a car drove past me with a YR.I only noticed it when they past and think they also only noticed when I stopped and reversed!And that is where I met Dalene D.And thay had some nice sightings but maybe she will have a TR and I dont want to spoil it.We had a quick chat and we are off!No LEOPARD but got a nice pic of an impala and a beautiful sunset!(1ste KNP trip with my new DSLR)

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone

It’s time for the next installment of our TR! We got into KNP yesterday and today is our 1ste full day. Objective of the day; find a leopard or any animal we have not yet seen!

Plan for the day is to meet my parent’s friends at Lower Sabie for lunch. We got out of camp at 06:19 due to a sleepy family (I was ready at 05:45).Ok so we took the tar S110 and not to far we came across a big 5 number 3 a herd of buff’s. Most probably the same herd we always read about from the berg and dal sightings. The rest of the road was very quite!

We turned left at the T-junction and then onto the S114. I don’t like to complain but speeding in the park is just getting worse. I know they are working on it but in the trip I only saw 1 speed trap. People don’t have any respect for nature. Why come to the parks and drive like a hooligan??? :huh: :huh: Pm me and I will get you some details of a race track or rally track! :sniper:

Let’s go on. We left the S114 and onto the S25! I was looking forward to the S25 and had high hopes for some nice game! I was a bit disappointed coz we barely saw an impala! Got a few kudu and waterbuck in the early part of the S25. :hmz:

We got to Croc Bridge and had the family had coffee and I had a coke! And then we are off to my favorite road in Kruger the S28.The last 4 times I drove it saw 8 cheetahs and 16 lions! But it looks like we are out of luck on this trip coz it was very quite! Got to Lower sabie at 12 and had some nice lunch and we were off again coz we had a long trip back to BnD!
Stopped at sunset day and saw a few nice hippos and a croc or 2! 2km from there we saw a small traffic jam. Lions. Big 5 number 4. There were 2 lionesses lying on the rocks on the opposite bank.2PM in the heat of the day in the sun on the hot rock??? :hmz: I don’t mind at least we saw then.

From there we took the S21.This road was more productive with general game! Saw impala’s and elephants but they were a bit far. Got a steenbok and a very nice :cam: of a lilacbreasted roller.

Eventually got onto the H3 and down to BnD! We stopped and had a look at majulu bridge to scan the tree’s. Nothing. I guy stopped and said any leopards NO was our reply. He said well if you go onto the S110 tar road there is lions just past malelane camp and I (he) saw a leopard crossing the road 1km before the lions! Luck you we said and we are off to the lions!

We got to the lions and you can only see a tail go p in the air and 1 male got up and all I could manage was this pic! Very hard to see. It still only looks like bush to me but he is in there!

Objectives completed = 0 out of 2 :(
I will leave you with this! In the next day 1 objective was completed!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Johan N wrote:
When those hooligans pass you on a dirt road, the dust is all over inside the car as well as on your camera equipment.
What irritates me the most is that they chase every animal away especially when you go onto a dirt road and you may be the 1ste car on the road and not knowing what is behind the next corner!

The next installment will be on later today I will start after breakfast :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good day everyone

Time has come for the next installment.

We got up nice and early today!Or lets say me dad and brother did mom decided to stay home and of all the days this is the day she should have come with!We left camp at around 06:05heading towards the spot where we saw the lions last night!And as we got there there were a few cars and guess who is there?And today they are not far into the bush they are right next to the road!At 1ste we only saw this young male lying basically in the road!

Then we noticed a few cars about 20m further and there were 2 more lions lying next to the road!

Then we went back to the 1ste male and saw the 4th lion!So there were 3 males and 1 female!

We eventually left the lions and headed to the Gardeniahide and then the S114 back to BnD!On the way we saw these mongooses on the ant mount and a flying squire!

Then we took a left onto the S114 and around 2km down I said Honey badger!It was standing on the side of the road and ran into the bush!Objective 1 was completed!My very 1ste Honey badger!I didn't get a shot of it coz it was to fast,so we slowly drove to the spot where it ran into the bush to try and spot him!And then all of a sudden he dashed over the road and I managed to get a few pics!

And just after than great sighting we had this very bad one!I realy dont understand how people think??? :huh: If I catch someone doing something like that I wont try and stop myself in what i would do!

Back at camp I decided to take a pic of our camp and I saw this little red bird!Can someone plz ID if for me?

Later that day we went for a drive and I saw this hornbill in the tree! According to me it's a grey hornbill!1Ste for me, and we saw a leopard tortoise and a rhino and calf and we went back to the lions and they were still there.I think they were there for like 3days!

Thats the end of this installment and still no leopard but I saw my very 1ste honey badger!So at least 1 of the 2 objectives are accomplished!

Cheers for now
Divan

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Brilliant day. That honeybadger - I'm so :mrgreen: I'm beginning to think that they must hibernate in winter when we go to Kruger, so many people are seeing them at the moment! Lovely photos. The little red bird is indeed a red-billed Firefinch. You can identify them from the other Firefinches because they have a yellowish eye-ring and pink bill. Thanks for a great episode.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The next installment has arrived!

Today the early morning plan was to drive the same route!But not the tar S110 but the gravel road!And then onto the S114 and then the Gardinia hide road again!And then back to BnD!

We saw a few hornbills and buffalo on the S110!Then we went onto the S114 and the S25 all being very quite today!

Then onto the S119 and just past the hide we came across 5 lions!They were a bit far but I managed to get a few pics!

We got back to camp to make breakfast and after we ate I went for a walk and saw some nice birds and a bushbuck close to the fence!

For the afternoon drive it was just me!I stoped at the store and as I was about to leave camp my dad phoned and saying he wanted to join me and what a good decision!So I had a bit of dad time!The plan was the same route as the morning(I love driving the same routes)

We didnt see much!On our return to camp we saw a woodpecker.Id plz?I know its 1 of 2 just not sure which 1?Further on the S110tar we saw a lone lioness in the grass!While we were standing there, there were a car with 4 people that could not see the lion!After about 5 min they updated us about some doggies at the Majulu waterhole.It was a 10km drive for us and told my dad I dont think we will make it coz diggies dont stick around!We drove fast what I mean is 50km/h on the tar is fast to me and 40km/h on gravel fast!

We got there and this is what we saw!2 doggies in the road!I was very glad coz my dad has not seen doggies in a while and I was happy coz I have only seen them twice and the last time was a pack of 13 close to orpen in jan 09!
So the doggies stuck around :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Thats it for today!Stick around coz the best day is still to come and it was our last day as well! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dad time + doggie time, not bad!! 8)

Methinks it's a cardinal woodpecker.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good day everyone!

Today was our last day in the park so my time to find a leopard is getting ever so short!Plan for the morning was to travel on the S110 tar then the S114 and then the H2-2 and have breakfast at Afsaal and then return to BnD!

The S110 was quite and we only saw an elephant!Then we got onto the S114 and our second big 5 of the morning a few buffalo!Not to far we came across another black rhino.Our 4th of the trip!Forgot to mention that I met Ecojunkie at the T-junction of the S110 and the H3 where there were 2 black rhino in the distance!

Then we got to the intersection of the S119 and S118 and the S114!We are going straight!We went through this river bed and on the other side is James waterhole!I told my dad that people saw a leopard and a cub here(Spoke to lady at sightingsboard) we switched off the car and just sat there all alone taking in the bush!The next moment we heard a growl and then again!We could clearly hear there is leopards in the thickets but cant see them!You could clearly hear that the mother is playing with the cub!We then went to the other side of the bridge and waited!Then my brother said there there there she is!Where?On the river wall We only saw her just before she went in the bush!But we waited and then we saw the cub!Pretty large!But we saw mom and the river wall and got this pics of the cub!But I got my leopard 2 actually and we saw the Big 5 within 2 hours since gate opening!

People drove up to us and we updated them about the leopards and they updated us about lions on the S118!3 males!We got there and saw them!But they were a bit far!

We ate breakfast at Afsaal and then drove the H3 down and then onto the S118 to see if we could find the lions again!And we did but this time there we no cars!And saw a nice white headed vulture!

On our way back to BnD on the S114 a car stopped and said 2 leopard cubs we drove forward and I only managed to see the 1ste one and got a few pics and then in the distance we saw the second one running!4 leopards in 1 day sofar!WOW my best leopard day ever!

That afternoon I decided to take a drive alone again!Went to majulu waterhole and got a few bee-eaters!

I decided to go the same route and see if I can find the leopards!I was onto the S114 and at the spot where we sa the 2 cubs I stopped and searched the trees but got nothing!As I went around the bend there were about 6 cars and I thought must be them!I asked what you looking at 2 leopard cubs?No was the reply only 1!And when I looked through my binos I saw mom in the shade.My 5th leopard of the day! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: !And then this :evil: %*&^ IDIOT %^&* :evil: ruined it for everyone and the cat stood up and walked!I took 1 last pic as she walked away!

Then I decided to go see if I could find the other 2 again!I got there and switched the car off on the side of the road!There were a few cars looking at the giraffe drinking water!As I took my binos there she was!next to the rocks and people driving past this magnificent animal!I managed to get this pic!And she also got up as I was explaining to people where to look!We saw her again but I had to leave to get the gate time!

Persistence=We drove the S114 S119 everyday and they paid off in full!
Patience=We sat at the mother and cub for about 45min although we knew there were lions on the S119 and the males on the S118!
Magic= Being in the bush MY Home

Oh wait the trip not over yet!The day we left still to come and who can guess which animal said fare well see you again in December?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:( :( We had to leave the park today and ja never enjoy it but at least we will be back in December for around 12-13 nights so its bitter sweet for us!

Anyway that morning we left camp after refueling and was out at around 06:30 and not even 2km from camp my dad said whats in that tree.Was a bit far so while I was busy taking out the binocs my mom said whats that whats that then we saw this and she was all to ourselves!What a great way to say BYE!

Until next time!
Divan :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]