Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bestesd KNP holiday ever(harrys,bookworm and tataruka)
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi friends, we just parked our bakkie and caravan after a unforgettable 8 days in KNP as campers in Punda Maria(2)Shinwedzi(4) and Letaba(2) and 4 days as day visitirs in KNP.

27 June 09:
We left Boksburg at 7:30 for Phalaborwa where we stayed the night. We however had some drama on our way there,first I lost my extended mirror just before Bella Bella :whistle: and down Magoebaskloof the brakes on the bakkie and the caravan got so hot that I could only stop with great difficulty and smoke pouring out off the brakes :big_eyes: and at Phalaborwa Safari park where we stayed the microwave popped :huh: .Dont worry that was the only real drama we had(They say it comes in threes)
We had our first sighting there in the camp as some warthogs visited the camp :) Our adventure in the park will follow when bookworm and tataruka will report.

KNP: Berg en Dal 7 to 10 August 2015

Post subject: Re: Bestesd KNP holiday ever(harrys,bookworm and tataruka)
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:02 pm 

28 June 09:
We left for Punda Maria and entered the park at Phalaborwa gate at 6:15.
We stopped at Maroela and went for breakfast. When we got back, there was a note from Mogart (Martie).

We saw the following animals:
Huge elephants and calves, a few eagles, hippo's, buffallo's with calves, Zebra's, warthoggs, bluewildebeast, giraffe's, nyala's, croc's, kudu's.

We arrived at Punda Maria at about 16:30 and set up camp.
We think Punda Maria is the black sheep in KNP because the camping area in Punda is not very camper-friendly.

More will follow...

KNP: Lower Sabie 27 April to 1 May 2012

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:14 pm 

29 June 09:
..........so we continue,at 6:40 we starded our adventure to Pafuri and Tulamela.I have never seen so many Boabab trees in my life,they are so huge and realy looks like they were planted up side down.I actually know why they call the Nyala drive this name,we saw so many njalas big and small.At Tulamela we had a bit off a dissapointment as we only found out then that you have to book with SANP to visit this site. :( We had to stop and wait for about 30 min as a big herd off ellies decided to cross the road very unruly,it looked like they were in a big hurry,dust everywhere and we were a bit scared.
After this exciting sighting we left for Crooks corner,on our way there we saw kudus,girafes,eagles,ellies and the odd impala or two :whistle: At Crooks corner we were amazed at all the crocs and wondered how crooks escaped these guys when they tried to cross the river.What a beautifull place.It was time to return to Punda.
We almost had a bad experince when we drove back,as we were driving along at about 35 km/h my dad uttered some foren words and the next moment I saw these long leg next to my window,we nearly colided with a giraffe that cam out off the mopanis next to the road!! :big_eyes: ,not one off us saw him,luckelyall was ok.Something I have to ask is,in this area we came across some girafes that was almost black,can anyone explain this.
We had a lovely braai and a real good day :dance:
Will this trip get any better??? :twisted: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

30 June 09:
Today we left for Shinwedzi,not much to see but we saw three animals very high on my list off have to see nl sable(about 8 also young),roan(1 alone and then 50m away about 10) and lastly tsesebe(3) :clap: These sightings was a highlight for us as we have never seen these animals before,later we saw some bufs,ellies,zebra and Alexanders "grave" nogal broaght a lump to ones throught. We arrived at Shingwedzi at 14:40 and set up camp.What a wonderfull flat camping area and very friendly and helpfull staff at reception,only complaint they did not have any stickers off the camp in the shop,can anyone help me find one.
We left at 16;00 for a afternoon drive to afsaal dam,here we saw lots off hippos,crocs,wildgeese,bushbuck,bluewildebeest,impala,waterbuck,giraffes(this time i saw them early!!?? :redface: )buffalo and ellies. :popcorn:
So far had great sightings but still no lions,leopard,rhino or cheetah...what will the next few days have to offer.

To be continued........... :cam:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:24 am 

1 July 09:

Lazy day today...sleeping late. Had a late brunch and and went for a drive at 11:20 to Red Rocks.
We took the S52 to Tshange lookout. It was a rather quiet day.
We saw the usual: elephants, buffalo's, impala's, kudu's, giraffes, nyala's, steenbok, duiker, bushbucks.

At Red Rocks we looked at the magnificent rock formation and saw some wild geese.
A very grumpy old ellie marched down the road and wouldn't let us pass. After reversing for about 800m, we desided to turn around and take another road.

We returned to Shingwedzi and took a quick nap.

Later that afternoon we went for an afternoon drive. A young elephant mock charged us and my mom spoke in forren languages :whistle:

We stopped at the watering hole (Lamont) and waited for some activity. Suddenly we heard a "dong" "dong" behind us at the dam. When we moved forward we saw a big ellie trying to drink from the concrete dam, we moved away and watched him drink water out of the dam.

My grandmother and grandgather went with us to the watering hole in a seperate car. When the ellie started moving towards them, my grandfather kept pushing the wrong button to start the jeepie.

After that excitement we saw some old buffs drinking and we left for camp.

On the Shingwedzi bridge we got out of the bakkie and watched 2 hayena's crossing the dry river bed.

Something interesting, was watching ellies digging holes and drinking water.

We had a braai and my dad tried to start the fire by pouring citronella oil over the wood. When he turned around the fire went WOOF at him, and almost burnt off his back hairs. You should have seen his face! :lol:
We turned in early because we planned an early start for tomorrow. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:44 am 

2 July 09:

Early start, we woke up at 5:20. :imsmilin:
Our route for the day, H1 -6 to Mopani S50 back to Shinwedzi.
When the gates opened, we started the day that wil hopefully be rewarding. It was stil a bit dark but before we reached the H1-6 we saw our first ellie for the day, after that it only got better. We had sightings of haynas, 9 giraffes together, a big herd of buffs, zebras, wildebeast, wharthog and sable, and only up to Mopani.
the outlook for the rest of the day looked promising. :hmz: :whistle:

After having lunch we stopped at Alexander ' s last resting place. we turned on to the S49 and were rewarded instantly by wharthog, wildebeast, zebra, giraffe and of course impala. We then turned on the S50 where it was quiet for a while, but only for a while... It all started with 3 uge herds of buffs. We also met some forum mites in a blue combi, but my dad forgot to ask their names, and he gave our names to them instead. We saw some more ellies, baboons, duiker, impala, kudu and steenbok. We also met lourens who told us to look out for roan.

Our spirits took a dip when we reached the kannie dood road, because we still haven't seen any lion or leopard...... little did we know.
On the last strech to Shingwedzi, we saw a herd of ellies, some hippos and crocs and a nyala...oh and we saw some LIONS! We were so excited and took lots of pictures and videotaped them. When we left after 45 minutes we stopped everyone and told them about the lions. When we tried to tell someone else about the lions, they told us that there was a LEOPARD next to the road. We thought they were looking at the hippos.
What a sighting! The leopard was so bright of black and yellow. It was the closest I've ever seen a leopard. We immediately drove till we got cell phone signal and phoned my mom and grandparents to come and look at the leopard and lions. Unfortionatly they did not see the leopard but they saw the lions. We stayed at the lions at 17:00. We went back to the camp very satisfied and happy. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :dance: :dance:

unfortanately we can not post photos because my dad doesn't how to resise them even though he tried several times. :(
More will follow soon... :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

3 July 09:

This morning we went on a pajama drive,when teh gates opened we hit the road.Still a dit dark as it is overcast,first sighting for the day was some hippos and a njala bull and 2 cows.Later on the kanniedood dam rd we saw aherd of about 20 ellies with small calves.After 1 and a half hours we went back to camp and I got back into bed as it was cold and I was still tired,slept for about 2 hours. :whistle: .

After relaxing for the rest off the morning and early afternoon we went on a drive at a bout 14;00. we drove to Redrocks but about 250m out off camp i nearly rolled the bakkie as i saw a leopard walking next to the road on the river side.This was the closesed that I have ever seen this magnivicent animal and it was only for about 5 min then it was gone. We drove to Redrock very upbeat and ready for more sightings.On the way there we saw a big herd off about 70 buffalo,impalas,girafes,wildebeast,monkeys,baboons,waterbuch.steenbokthree eagles and 5 vultures in a tree.At redrocks we where told that there was wild dogs nearby and so we sat and waited to see if at last we will see our first doggies but after 1 hour and 20 minutes we had to leave,very dissapointing. :( ,will I ever see these wonderfull animals :huh: .
We went back to camp via kanniedood dam,what a very good dicision...about 2 kms from the dam my SO nearly had a stroke and yelled,cried that i must go back,in the reeds there it was.......another leopard :big_eyes: (no 3 on our Kruger trip so far....... :whistle: )we sat and watched it lie in the reeds for 15 minutes when it got up and dissapeared in the bush.We went back to camp and made a lovely dinner and went to bed at about 11 very happy. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,I managed to resize the photos and will start posting them,hope its ok. :redface: Image[img]

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Image[IMG]

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Please help I can only post one at a time,how do i post more than one?
Buffs near mopani.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A calf

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:38 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next