Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 5
 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Are we there yet??? - Me and my Baas go South.
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 pm 

25 more sleeps to go. :shock: It seems long and yet the time flies by.

We are getting sooooo excited and now I'm spending at least an hour a day here just enjoying the other forumites tales and info. Lets start our adventure with some teasers.....

Background and the Plan.

Last year I decided to go out to Cape Town to visit my family who I hadn’t seen for many years. I asked my boss for time off and told him my plans. He came in to work the following Monday and asked if I needed anyone to help carry the suitcases. I thought he was joking but he was really keen and had spoken to his SO and everything. Unfortunately as I was going to be with family it was a bit awkward. In the end I said to him that we could organise another trip sometime. One year later and we were looking at various African safaris in Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa. Most were way too expensive and too long :cry: . Eventually I suggested going to KNP and doing a self drive rather than an organised trip. This proved much cheaper and better as we could decide where to go and for how long. The owner of the company we work for would only give us a week off :wall: :wall: :sniper: so had to plan the trip for the August bank holiday here in UK. I got onto the SANParks website and discovered this great forum with all you wonderful people here to help with all our requests and knowledge. It has been an absolute brilliant place to find out all kinds of stuff :thumbs_up: :dance: . We booked our flights with Lufthanza and got the camps organised in Kruger. So the plan is to fly out via Frankfurt on the 29th August arriving in Jo’ies on the 30th. We then fly straight out to Nelspruit and pick up our hire car for the trip. We have booked into a place near Hazyview for the first night and we hope to go to Gods Window and Bourkes etc. on the Monday. We shall leave Hazyview at around 4 a.m. on Tuesday and head for Orpen Gate. Into the park. We have the rest of the day to get to Satara. Next morning up and out at gate opening to make our way down to Skukuza for the second night in the park. Again up and out at gate opening to go to Crocodile Bridge for our final night in the park. Out again at opening and a final drive :cry: to get to the airport for lunchtime flight back to Jo’burg and out home. So that's the plan and now we sit back and bite our nails waiting for the day to arrive.............

Robbie (and the Baas).

2009 and 2010 trips are a distant memory but will remain special.

TMNP - Got Married and had the Honeymoon blinkers on!! Too busy for TMNP!!.

Post subject: Re: Are we there yet??? - Me and my Baas go South.
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:45 am 

Thanks Pikkie, Micetta, Chickadee, Elsa, BillyF and Pjw. :dance:

We've just been psyching ourselves up by watching some video clips on Youtube about lion attacks and buffalo and rhino charges in KNP :doh: :shock:

While we want some close encounters we sure don't want to be on the receiving end of some of those charges :big_eyes:

Don't mention Pith Helmets here as the Baas (Mike) has been having problems trying to get a hat he is happy with. He bought one that was guaranteed to keep the head cool and was made from some superdooper materials...........First time he wore it here in UK it cooked his head and then promptly shrunk in size. :huh: He is now like a bear with a sore head and wants a refund. :sniper:

I got my trousers with many pockets ready......just don't know what to fill them with yet. :twisted:

Picked up the currency and my international driving license yesterday so all set with passports etc. WT......get them Buffalo in the mincing machine........we're only 3 weeks away now. :dance: :dance:

Robbie

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 am 

5 Sleeps to go before lift off

Panic mode is now on us. What have we forgotten to do?? :doh:

We have the cases to prepare, the camera gear to get ready, the passport, drivers license and currency to store in safe place, paperwork to find. Maleria doses to begin, work to finish and customers to please.........Arghhhhh :wall: :wall: :shock:

What if............

The plane is delayed, we get stuck in traffic, our bags go missing, we can't find where to go.........?? :shock: :big_eyes:

All this stress and upset to spend a few days in paradise. It better be worth it. :hmz: :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have a great trip. Travel safely. You will be back. :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:06 pm 

One sleep since returning home :( :( :(

Well our trip has come and gone in the blink of an eye. Our only regret is the soooooooooo very short time we had in such a beautiful place. We are both shattered from the hectic rush having flown from the UK on Saturday last week and returning yesterday afternoon.

The first part of this report will be outside the park so strictly not really KNP but still part of our adventures.

Day 1 - UK to Mpumalanga

We left home at 5 a.m. for the drive to London and Heathrow airport. We live in Weymouth down on the south coast of England and are some 3 hours away from the BIG SMOKE (london). My Baas (Mike) asked his brother in law to give us a lift as the parking charges are very high here and we weren't prepared to pay for the car to sit at the airport (tight I know but.....) :D

We arrived at Terminal 2 to catch our first plane to Frankfurt in Germany. Guess what........our flight was not listed anywhere and there was no sign of a Lufthanza representative anywhere either. After much hunting around we asked a policeman wh said that they were closing terminal 2 for renovations and our flight was moved to terminal 3. What a rush to get there in time for the plane :big_eyes: . 2 hours later we are in Frankfurt airport transit area waiting for our J'Burg flight which isn't for 6 hours. Boredom and frustration set in as we just want to get to SA as fast as possible :wall: . We finally board our SAA flight and get under way. 11 hours later we touch down at O. Tambo. The flight was good and the food quite impressive (for a plane). Unfortunately we didn't get any sleep so both of us are tired and smelly. We collect our bags (at least they are here :clap: ) and head for the domestic terminal to wait for our last flight to Mpumalanga. Mike is really suffering from heat and lack of sleep and says we need to stop and get a drink. We go and sit down at the eating area and a waiter comes and takes the order. 2 large glasses of ice cold Sprite. We drink them down and I am telling Mike all about the money (Rands and coins etc.) and about tipping people........ the waiter comes and takes our glasses away and we get up and go....... I suddenly realise we have not paid and rush back upstairs. The waiter is looking around for the 2 theives who ran off without paying :shock: :doh: .

A very short flight to Nelspruit and we are nearly at the end of day 1. Mike is really impressed with the friendliness of everyone and good service and everything. Much better than in the UK. We pick up our hire car (Nissan X-Trail) and head for Hazyview and our first night sleep in 2 days.............. To be continued..........

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:23 pm 

Sanpfan wrote:
First time he wore it here in UK it cooked his head and then promptly shrunk in size. :huh: He is now like a bear with a sore head and wants a refund. :sniper:

Robbie

Caught up with your tread just now Robbie.
What shrunk. The hat or the head? :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:28 pm 

Nice post Rob.

Anxcious to hear the rest.
And two days without any sleep is "normal" when you travel via another airport. (see my TR) :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:46 pm 

Quote:

The hat shrunk, his head can't shrink as too full of Sh....... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great start Sanpfan, cant wait for the next episode . . . .

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Our only regret is the soooooooooo very short time we had in such a beautiful place

I did tell you it was too little time :naughty: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:04 pm 

Sanpfan wrote:
Quote:

The hat shrunk, his head can't shrink as too full of Sh....... :twisted:

:funny: :funny:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Exiting start Sanpfan!! :clap: :clap:

Now for the rest of it please! :pray: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:47 pm 

:lotsocoffee: :tongue: Just brewing another pot !

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:10 am 

Day 2 - Mpumalanga

We have been a bit refreshed having slept all night and had a superb breakfast at the place we are staying. The owners are really great and so helpful with everything. We decide to go to see some of the waterfalls and also Gods Window and Bourkes Luck Potholes. The scenery around here is simply stunning and Mike is getting more and more excited about his stay in SA. We stop off at Graskop and Mike finally finds a new hat that keeps him cool and doesn't look like a mushroom cap on his head :lol:. On to Bridal Veil Falls and we park in the car park and start to walk up to the falls. It is getting hotter and we are blowing and puffing like a pair of old steam trains by the time we reach the viewpoint. Well worth the effort as the falls are magnificant. Not too much water coming over as this is the wrong time of year for such things but still great to marvel at the height and rock structure. Mike sees his first african wasp :shock: and can't get over the size of it. On to Gods Window and another climb up some steps in the heat. We have come from our summer in UK where it was 22ish degrees but now we are at 27 and feeling it a bit.

It is a bit hazy today so the view isn't as clear as I've seen it before. The height is still very impressive and we spend a good amount of time looking out from the various viewpoints.

Then we are off to Bourkes Luck Potholes. When I was there last we could paddle and swim in the river and there were no barriers or anything as such. Now there are walkways and lots of restrictions :rtm: :naughty: . Still mighty impressive how the power of nature works. We see our first troup of Baboons there and the male is a large one. They stay up on the hill behind the potholes and we can't get any real good shots of them. The swallows are skimming the water in the pools and we try in vain to capture them on photograph. :roll: .

On our way back to Hazyview we stop off at Berlin Falls in the low sunlight. Although we can't get so close the sight is even more impressive than Bridal Veil and we see several Ibis coming in to roost on the cliff face..........

continued tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:18 am 

Oops, sorry about the photo sizes. I shall have to reduce the others to comply with the forum sizing as we continue our journey.

Robbie :doh:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next