Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kruger + Winter = Magic!
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:49 pm 

Day 10 – 2 July

Roads traveled for the day:
S110
H3
S114
S25
S26
H5
S102
S110
S120
S118

Today we will tackle the gravel roads between B&D and LS and on the hunt for Wild dogs! We’ve had terrible luck over the years in our KNP visits when it comes to the doggies (only seen twice in 23 years and never seen a pack!). We desperately wanted to see a pack this time around!

There were parrots everywhere in the park! The most I have seen ever!

We came across 4 Hyenas that slept as if they were very busy the previous night!!!

This one almost looked dead – he was just sleeping though!

We spend almost 2 hours at Mpondo dam – great dam with a lot of animal life

This water buck didn’t trust vulture very much or he was just looking for some trouble. He was staring at the bird for almost 10 minutes!

The rest of the day was quiet but when we took our late afternoon drive we saw this male leopard standing next to road on the S114 in that dip before you get the tar road. It was the biggest leopard I have ever seen with the most beautiful colors! This was really special for me! I got a bit of “cat fright” when we stopped that I forgot to take a photo of him while he was standing there looking at us (about 5 meters from us!). I only got some where he walked away.

The leopard sighting really made our day!

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Returning to Kruger in December 2013!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:41 pm 

Today was my first day back at work and it felt like walking onto a war field. I have to do our 5 year budget plan before Friday so I will be having a couple of late nights working on it.

I miss the Kruger already! Think I need a break! :D

I will try to finish my TR over the weekend so stay tuned for more!

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:14 pm 

Day 11 – 3 July

H3
H2-2
Fayi Loop
H1-1
S65
H11
S114
H5
S102
S26
S110

Today we wanted to go to Pretoriuskop via the Voortrekker road, to Skukuza and instead of taking the H3 back to BnD, we wanted to take the S114.

On the Voortrekker road we got this big guy running zig-zag across the road for almost 2 minutes. He was really close to us!

We saw the Slender Mongoose, Banded Mongoose and the Dwarf Mongoose on the gravel road before we got to Pretoriuskop.

Just before we reached the end of the Voortrekker road, my brother spotted this beautiful female leopard with her youngster in the thick bushes. They stood there for one photo and then walked further into the bushes.

On the Fayi loop another Reedbuck!

We had a nice breakfast at PK and then we left for Skukuza. No real luck!

After some hours of no sightings, a Honey Badger ran over the road about 100meters in front of us. When we got the spot, he was gone! He ran with the speed of light into the grass – there is no way that you will see an animal with the size of a HB in that tall grass. We found his tracks in the sand next to the road where we last saw him. It happened on the S114 near the S121 turnoff.

Just a few kilometers from our HB sighting this beautiful Black Rhino waited for us. He kept his distance like they usually do!

After these two sightings we had no luck further for the day.

The time is running out to see (in my view) the ultimate animal – the African Wild Dog! What must we do more to see one??? One day left to see it!

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:09 pm 

Day 12 – 4 July “Our Last Day”

S110
H3
H1-1
S11
Fayi Loop
H2-2
S114
S25

Our time has come to an end! It is the last day of our fantastic trip and we still need to see a wild dog! Did our luck run out? We still haven’t seen any Lions since we came to Berg en Dal!

We just left the camp when we had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing this Civet…

It looks like the deed of a speeding car in the dark!

I don’t want to spoil my TR with a complaint like this but I believe that something must be done against this! It really touched me to see this poor animal laying there because of us humans that do not respect them enough by disobeying the rules!

We were first in the row every morning at the camp gates and the amount of cars that travel in the park before opening time is also very concerning for me! This accident had to happen before the gates opened because we were the first car out of the camp and no cars passed us before we arrived at the dead Civet…

Sorry about that… lets go back to the TR!

A beautiful sunrise in the Kruger

Then we had one of the most special sightings ever!

We did not plan to stop at Mathekenyane (Granokop) lookout point today. As we approached the PK turnoff (H1-1) I told my brother that we must go there and stretch our legs a bit. We stopped there and looked around and saw some Ground Hornbills walking on the tar road. After some 5 minutes or so we got into the bakkie and drove off. Just as we reached the end of the short gravel road this Wild Dog came running out of the bushes right in front of us as if she was sent to come to us!

She ran passed us, chased some Impalas away that were just standing there and then ran onto the rock / lookout point and ran exactly over the spot where we stood less than a minute earlier and then she went off again on the other side.

We turned around to follow her but when we reached the top of the lookout point, she was gone. Bravely we climbed out to look over the edges of the rock if we can’t see anything. Nothing... We looked on the other side to see if we can’t find anything and there she was! The most beautiful animal in the world to see in the wild and what made it so special; we could see her on foot! And even more special, her pups had a quick look outside their den and went back in. My brother could count three of them but I guess there could have been more inside. He had a better view over them than me, I could not see clearly.

Our trip just became sort of perfect with this sighting! Who would ever thought with our “wild dog -bad luck” that we will be standing at a lookout point looking at a Wild Dog and her puppies on the rocks at the other side? Only fresh air between us and her, nothing else! Perfect!

We did keep our distance for those of you who might be thinking we are mad or stupid and it actually looks much closer on the photo than it actually was!!

After all the excitement and adrenalin, we left and went to PK to have a quick meal.

On the Voortrekker road we saw some Tsessebe’s

For the afternoon drive we took the S25. We could see some clouds heading in our direction.

No real luck on the afternoon drive.

Our day was made with the WD sighting! It is one of the top sightings in my life so far! Truly amazing!

During the night / early morning we could hear the rain falling hard outside and just the thought of us standing outside in the rain to pack our stuff gave me a sleepless night. The alarm went off at 5h00 but it was raining too hard. Eventually we were up at around 6h00 and had to start with the tent and packing all the stuff. Everything was wet!!!

We left Berg en Dal and decided to take the Voortrekker road and go out at Numbi. We still wanted to see the Lichtenstein Hartbees!

Here are some antelopes that we saw on our last drive of the trip. No Lichtenstein unfortunately!

Our trip came to an end and we left the park with mixed emotions…
1) Sad because we had to go home.
2) Excited to go and tell friends and family about our great trip.
3) Happy because we came to see certain animals and we did! Just to be in the bush makes me happy!

Thank you so much for reading this Trip Report and I truly hope that you enjoyed it! We certainly enjoyed the Trip and can’t wait for the next one!!!

Always remember to thank God for His creation when you visit the Kruger and for the privilege we have to enjoy it!

On a lighter note, don’t ever doubt these words:

Kruger + Winter = Magic!

Herewith a list of our great sightings
Roan x 3
Ground Hornbill x 35
Dassie x 1
Eland x 24
Hyena x 27
Cheetah x 14 (including a catch)
Genet x 1
Lion x 63 (all in the first 8 days)
Leopard x 8
Honey Badger x 1
Reedbuck x 6
Black-backed Jackal x 13
Side-strip Jackal x 1
Secretary Bird x 3
Sharpe’s Grysbok x 4
Black Rhino x 1
Sable x 1
Tsessebe x 38
African Wild Cat x 1
Wild Dog x 4
White Rhino x 46

Until the next Trip Report…

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2