Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Trip To KTP
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 am 

We left Cape Town on the 26th March and arrived in Twee Riverien on the 27th. We did not know what to expect as we were told that is was a dry and vast place. What we did find was that there had been some very good rains a month before and everything seemed quite lush. 20 Kms past Twee Riverien we came across an abundance of animals as soon as we got into the River Bed basin. It was absolutly wonderful to see so many animals and birds. We headed straight to Nassob and we had to do the detour as the road staight to Nassob from TR was being repaired. We were to stay in Nassob for 3 nights and then 2 nights in The Tented Camp and back to Nassob for 4 nights. I think that Nassob is the nicest camp as there seems to be more to see. The hide at Nassob is always great and you can sit there for hours just watching the Falcons and Harriers making kills. We saw many different prides of lions which was awesome and they were all in very good condition. The males with the black manes were incredible. We also saw such an aray of different bird species but if you like the birds of prey then this is the place for you. We were lucky to see just about everything exept leopard and spotted hyena but we did speak to people that did see them. the roads were not as bad as I had heard but they can be quite bad when they are thick with sand and havent been graded. All in all, I want to go back asap. For those who were there at the same time as us, it would be nice to hear from you. Cheers :D

Post subject: Re: First Trip To KTP
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:34 pm 

Thank you Micetta. I am going to try it now with a photo of some Gemsbok at a watering hole near Nassop.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:42 pm 

That one worked well so ill put in a few more. This is one of a crow chasing an Eagle away from the Nossob watering hole as well as a few Male Lions around the Marie se Draai waterhole.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:56 am 

Thank you to all of you for all the welcomes and support. I had no idea there was anything like this around. For those of you that have never been to KTP before and are wondering if a normal vehicle can go there, the answer is yes. You just cant take a normal car on the 4 x 4 routes. It is also a disadvantage to take a standard sadan as with the grading of the roads, the build up of sand on the sides and after some rains when the grass grows, you will find it difficult to see over it. We hired a Combi which gave us a lot of height and it was magic.

I have managed to download some more pics for those that are interested.

Here is a pic of Two Puff Adders doing what Puff Adders do: :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:07 am 

This is a Cheetah jumping over a Water hole on the road to Mata Mata.

And a Tawny Eagle drinking from the Nassob water hole.

A very large Drooling Male lion that was looking over a herd of Blue Wildebeest near Nassob.

And a beautiful lady model. She is gorgeous is'nt she ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:46 pm 

As I get chance to download more photos I will share them with you. Please help me with some of the names of the Birds as I am very much a novice Birder.

This is however my favourite, a Secratary Bird very close to the Tented Camp near Mata Mata.

This Corrie Bustard is quite common in the Park.

This is where I need your help. I think it may be a Bateluer. Spelling stinks. :wall: On the way North to Unions End.

The following two I really need help on. Please....

This one I know is not a bird but a Wildebeest trying to act like an Ostrich :lol:

Ill post some more as I download them. The problem is that when I start looking at the pics again I get all nostalgic and I just want to go back again. I think you know the feeling. :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm 

Hi Dreamer

I think these are the Cheetah that you might have seen up North. Were they a Female with cubs? We saw them on the same day that we met you in the hide.

But just to make you a little jealous, ive added this one. Unfortunately she has a collar on. We found between Twee Rivieren and Mata Mata.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:28 pm 

Someone mentioned a lion jumping at a waterhole. Well I dont have one of those but I do have a lion Slipping in at a waterhole. :lol:

Then I told this Hyena and a Wildebeest about the lion and the Hyena giggled and the Wildebeest rolled on the floor with laughter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
HAHA! Fugs' funny Kgalagadi

The raptor is a (blonde) tawny eagle.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:02 pm 

Hi everyone, sorry its been some time since I've submitted any photos but since I have found out that Caracal is a teacher, I am a bit worried about submitting anything in case I make a mistake. :lol: :lol: Just kidding, I actually ran out of download space from Flickr.

There were a few responces regarding the Cheetah jumping over the waterhole, so i've put the other two in as well. This one is when he is airborne.

And this is him landing.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:10 pm 

I thought that this was quite amazing, it is a pride of lions tucking into a wildebeest right next to a dead Cheetah. They made a kill about 50 meters from the Cheetah and then draged the kill to the tree where the Cheetah had died a few days before.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:30 pm 

Well everyone, that about covers our trip to the KTP, I have hundreds of other photos from the trip but I have picked the ones that I thought were the best to share with you. If anyone reading this and has not been to the KTP then I suggest that you make a plan to get there. It was my first trip there but definitely not my last. I think I would choose it over any other of the Parks that I have been to. Every one of the parks is different in some way, the Kruger Park was great, but to me, too commercial. Shamwari was fantastic, you can see all you want to see by just telling your ranger what you want and you get treated like royalty BUT that is not what I want. I want to drive my own vehicle, stop where I want to stop and stay as long as I want to stay. That is the only way that you can get the photos that you want to get. I hope to make another trip there soon and I will share all my magical moments with you again. Thank you all for all your wonderfull comments and look forward to reading about your trips and seeing all your photos.

Cheers for now. Doug

Unread postPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:19 am 

Hi Anne-Marie

Sorry I did not mention it earlier. When we arrived in Nassob we noticed a Cheetah lying under a tree near the water hole. When she came down to drink, she was walking with a very bad limp. We were told by the rangers that she was either knocked by a car or ran into something while hunting. The grass was very long at the time and this could have been the problem. We were at Nassob for 4 nights and then went to the tented camp for 2 nights. On our return to Nassob we were told that she had died. This is not the same Cheetah that are in the photos that I have submitted on the forum. The Cheetah jumping over the water hole was on the way to Mata Mata. Is is indeed very sad when you see such a beautifull animal that is injured and we were very shocked to find that she had died while we were away. The dead Cheetah was not touched by any scavanger and I think the reason for this is that she was touched by the Rangers when they took samples of her DNA to send away for testing. The smell of human on her was most probably the reason for the scavengers not touching her. There was a terrible stench in the hide for the last couple of nights that we were there. I hope that this answers your questions. Regards

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Anne Marie, very active on this forum :whistle: , asked me if I could get some information regarding the dead cheeath in the Nossob area. Margie Mills was very kind to answer my mail, telling us that it was a male cheetah, and that they could not identify him by the pictures sent by the rangers.
They think he might have been killed after a fight with other male cheetahs, as they are territorials.

The only good news in this, is that it's not a mum with cubs depending on her that was killed...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]