Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Watch out Sirheni!!
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Only 29 days now,only 29.OK stop daydreaming!!Kruger is close...sooo close.It is close now very close,8 school days to go and then it is vacation!From the 13th to the 18th of July we're going to KRUGER more specificaly Sirheni!!We're going North for the first time ever,what a time it won't be!! Looking forward for the last 9 or so months!!

Post subject: Re: Watch out Sirheni!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:34 am 

Amadeus, pretty much all the roads in the area can and do produce some amazing sightings, the S99 Mahonie loop, and of course if you can make it up to Crooks corner, a real treat, go and meet Frank at Paruri picnic site.
The Red rocks loop is also great, wonderful scenery if nothing else turns up.
The road out the Shingwedzi back gate down to Kanniedood Dam and back is also so worthwhile.
Look out for the Roan Antelope in the area, H1-7 around Mopani and Babalala.
We enjoyed our brekkie at Babalala pincic area, ask the attendant to show you where a African Rock Python sleeps in the thatch during the day. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Later today we're gonna go to my grandmother and my grandfather,as they are coming with us.This probably my last post on this topic before we leave.But there are a couple of things I can promise you!
1.We'll enjoy it,but that happens every time one goes to Kruger! :D
2.I'll (or my dad will) :D take lots of pics!
So the final goodbyes,but my mind is only thinking of one thing,that is KRUGER!!!
Se ya all on the 18th!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 1:Our drive into paradise!

As we entered Punda Maria gate the excitement was high!The Kruger was here and we could now enjoy it.We entered the gate at about 14:00.What do you think were the first animals we saw??Kudu!!We saw two or three just on the horizon.Didn't have the camera with me,my dad had it until we got to Punda.We also saw Elephant before we entered the camp.The first animal I could take a photo of was quite special:A Steenbok!!
We also stopped further along the road for our first Lilac-Breasted Roller!
We saw elephant again but luckily this time I managed a ok photo.There really is quite a bit more elephants north than south!!
Just after that there was quite a frightening incident.We saw some zebras on the left hand side of the road they were quite far in so we stopped just a short while so we can move on again.But just then a young zebra came running from the right hand side.The car before us braked immediately!The zebra fell slid to the grass on the other side of the road!Luckily it only walked away with a slight limp.The zebras further in
A little further on we saw this amazing Baobab!
On the private road towards Sirheni we also saw these Waterbuck eating next to the road.
Overall it had been a quiet day,but a wonderful build up to the excitement of the next day!

Last edited by Amedeus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 2:Drive to Babalala

Now this morning we decided to have our breakfast at Babalala picnic spot.Have I told you our number yet?No?Well it's lucky number 7!!The hippos serenaded us with their calls through the night.We didn't see much on our way to Babalala,except some Impala and Zebra.Babalala picnic site is beautiful!Except for the nosy hornbills!!
We headed back to the camp with the gravel road.On this road we saw this tree almost like a portrait!
We also saw our first Ellie of the morning!
We also saw this Crested Barbet aren't they beautiful birds?Or at least I think it's a crested Barbet I'm not sure about the English name?
We also saw these Impala not to far from the road.We were not yet on the Sirheni private road.
In the dry riverbed at the start of the private road we saw this old Ellie walking down it.
We saw some more Impala close to the camp.
Once at the camp I saw a Sanparks employee standing at the fence.I went over and talked to him and he said the Impala snorted!So he just came to see if he can see the leopard!After he went the Impala snorted again...

Last edited by Amedeus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Morning day:2 Special sighting at camp

This chapter will be short!!As I said after I spoke to Norman the Impala snorted again!! :shock: Can it be a leopard??Can it be my first in the wild??Just five minutes later I saw white paws coming down the rocks!!!!Yes it's a LEOPARD!!!

Strangely enough it didn't drink water? :huh: It just went behind some bushes and came back out again.Possibly marking and patrolling his territory!This animal was a big and beautiful male.It was quite a strange time to see leopard(09:30).

My dad was in the shower when I went to fetch him for the leopard and he came out with a towel around him,later he remarked that it wasn't needed cause nobody was looking at him!!The Leopard came down to at Lucky No.7!!!!!

Last edited by Amedeus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Rest of Day 2

We decided to stay at the camp for the rest of
the day after the Leopard and we didn't see
much more :( But luckily we saw
some Buffalo.At about 14:00 we saw a buffalo
coming down to the river :)

If you look close enough you can see that
his horns are sort of chopped of?Why do
you think this could be?A fight maybe or
was he born so?

The buffalo had a real nice mud bath!
After the buffalo went away I took a stroll
to the bird hide(close to no.13)and one
the way I saw Kudu on the far bank.
At the birdhide there were 2 more buffalo
grazing.
And this is one big crocodile!! :)

Close to sunset I went to the birdhide once
again and buffalo were still there.
Our second day in paradise and what a day
had it been!Tomorrow we're driving to Shingwedzi
and back!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wednesday:To Shingwedzi

The morning we decided to have our breakfast and then go to Shingwedzi at about 10:00,(I'd lie if I say it wasn't for the hope of seeing the leopard again :wink: ).
The first animals of the morning came down to drink water at about
8:00.Two buffalo!
And also from the bird hide I saw these hippos!What a fantastic life being a hippo!!Doing nothing in the day,then coming out at night and eating!No natural predators!!
How great is that!! :D
As we drove to Shingwedzi the first animals we saw were Impala!
In the dry riverbed we saw this antelope?I think it's a bushbuck?But it could also be an Impala?Just asking for confirmation?
There really are the most wonderful loops on the road next to the river and isn't this a beautiful dam?
These waterbuck peered at us through the thick bush!Beautiful young one!!
On this road there were also two Ground Squirrels mating!!Couldn't take a picture unfortunately!I think they prefer some privacy!!
We also saw some zebras.I think by now we were back on the main road,though not quite sure?
But we were definitely on the main road when we saw our first Giraffe!!
And after the turnoff to Shingwedzi camp we saw this herd of Impala.
About a kilometer before the camp we saw three or four cars parked next to the road!What do they see......LEOPARD!!We ask them where it is and they can't see it anymore! :( We waited there for about 10 minutes but still no luck! :cry:
Just before the camp we saw this magnificent bull elephant!!
Will continue with the road back later!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 3:The road back from shingwedzi

At the camp we got some ice creams and Coke. Just outside camp we decided to stop and see if we can see the leopard. There was another car but they couldn't find it! :( We waited a bit and then decided to move on. The elephant didn't really move on it was still in the riverbed although now on the far side.
We also saw this crested barbet:
The game was here and there I think this road is ok but not as good as the gravel road! We saw some more Impala
We also saw some more zebra which are quite common up north.
But the real weird thing is we've seen impala zebra but no wildebeest are they regularly seen up north? We also saw this lilac breasted roller
At the camp a surprise waited for us...No leopard nor lion but still one of the big five!A buffalo was grazing close to the fence!
We decided to take a stroll to the birdhide.The hippos were there as always!But they do look like the most gentle giants but of course we know they aren't!!
A bit later these waterbuck came to the water.
It was now around 16:30 and I decided to check out the bird hide at no.1.The animals are not as common here but still a birdhide that fills you with calmness!
The next day we went to Pafuri!Will write about that exciting trip tomorrow!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The drive to Pafuri (the unusual animals)

Once again the Sirheni private road was a quite road,only saw some Impala. As we rejoined the main road we saw a elephant quite a distance from the road.
Later we saw a car standing next to the road. What did they see? Well we could now tick 4 of the big 5!! A rhino!!
Before Punda Maria we saw another first!!! :D A Black backed Jackal!!
As we were passing the turnoff to Klopperfontein dam someone stopped us and told us to take the turn to Klopperfontein!!There were lions further on!!We took the road!The first animals we saw were impala
We also saw this giraffe hiding from us!!
About a kilometer away from the dam we were stopped by 250+ buffalo! We couldn't get through!!We waited there for about 10 minutes
But unfortunately some of us had to get to the toilet urgently so we turned round and decided we'll take this road on the way back in the hope of seeing the lions!!
Before baobab hill we saw a group of zebra
On the gravel road to Pafuri we saw our first Nyala!!
A couple of impala were browsing about a kilometer from pafuri and there were 2 confused Nyala who were with them!
Pafuri is one of the most beautiful places in the park!! The trees the sounds!! What a place!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The way back

At Pafuri we had a nice brunch. At Pafuri a couple of Nyala came! Luckily they didn't beg for food like some of the animals do at picnic sites!!
We also saw a couple of Vervet Monkeys at the site.
A photo of Baobab hill. This really is a magnificent tree!!
Before the road to Klopperfontein which we were taking. We saw Impala and later on a giraffe. They are less common in the north! Much less common! But that is unfortunate for my mother whose favourite animal is ...Giraffe!!
We took the road to Klopperfontein not much there. But we were going to continue to the next dam where the lions were this morning! At the dam 3 or 4 cars were parked!! Could this be the 5th of the Big 5!! Yes it was!!!! 6 or 7 lions were just lying there!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:
The quality of the photos aren't that good as they were quite a long way away!
After we drank our coffee we decided to move on! On the rest of the road we saw Zebra and Impala. Once we were back on the main road we saw Elephant!!
And also another birding first...A purple roller!
Then another Elephant close to Babalala picnic spot.
At babalala we saw this hornbill without tail feathers!! It really was the most unusual site!
We bought some drinks there and it was cheaper than a filling station near Polokwane!! Only R7! That is cheap if you take into consideration the effort just to get it there!
Also at the picnic site we saw this Red Billed Hornbill
And a couple of Kudu
This Impala male was close to the Kudu
And then guess what? Close to them was another first!! A warthog!!
This giraffe was about 2 kilometers on from that!
My grandmother noticed an unusual photo!!
What a day!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On Sunday I started to display flu like symptoms so we decided to go to a doctor on Monday fearing it was Malaria. Luckily the tests were negative but I do have Tick bite fever or that's what I think it is? I know it simply as "Bosluiskoors".Will continue when I feel better!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It's okay it could have been Malaria!! :shock: :big_eyes:

Friday: the come of the Elephants!!

Back at the camp that Thursday afternoon we saw a buffalo grazing and a hippo not too far away from him.
We also saw some baboon they crossed they same place as the leopard did a couple of days before.
The next couple of photos were took at about 09:00.A smallish group of elephants came to drink.There were 4 or 5 of them.
This old buffalo also came down to drink a bit later. The private road to Sirheni I can't really recommend :doh: But if you want to see game and relax just stay at the camp :wink: or drive the S56!
The elephant were still there at about 11:00! Thanks to Armondo for showing them to us!! He was really helpful over the week!!
I also went to the birdhide cause on my way I could get some shots of the ellies! Earlier this week my grandma told about some Kolgaans( don't know the english name please help) chicks
The resident hippos were also there!
Look at the view from no.7!! It's fantastic!!
I can't quite remember why I came running back from the birdhide but I did!And out of the corner of my eye I saw an ellie!! Right in front of no.7 again!!
I'm gonna leave you with this photo! Just a little taste of the next chapter! :wink: They stayed for almost 2 hours by the way! :wink: Hopefully this will persuade you to turn the page! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Elephants

As the first 2 came we hoped there were more...and there was!! There was a male completely away from them could he maybe be a young bull who has been kicked out of the herd?
I don't really know what to say these next pictures so I'm just gonna let you enjoy it! :)
A baby!!
Some of them were taking a mudbath!! A first for me and they started to make those trumpeting sounds and also those low rumbling noises!
Later they started to cross the river to our side, but they were moving to no.8/no.9.
And later another breeding herd came to the water!
The rest were now already on our side of the river
Here are 2 more photos of a male having a bath! I must say the first photo
was just taken at the right time! :wink:
I'll continue with the rest later! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The last elephant stayed for about 15 minutes in the mudbath area.
He then later also came across the river!
We then decided to go to the bird hide in the hope that we might have a very good view of them later. The herd was now in front of no.10 (or the leaders I should say).
At the bird hide there was another lone male across the river.
We could see the elephants from the bird hide now, they were getting closer maybe I could get a good photo now! :wink: But then suddenly they turned round quickly! They went back to the crossing with quite a speed! Why could this be maybe they saw the hippos?
They went across the river very quickly!!
But by the time they were back on the other side, they stayed there a bit longer. This baby fell when he/she was in the mud bath area.
This ellie really enjoyed himself!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next