Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Richprins stumbles in with Extended Family
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:08 pm 
Off to Northern Kruger tomorrow, for a sort of a 10 year get-together with my rather erratic family... :shock:

For a change, I have everything sorted and am not half-dead from some or other affliction.

Typically, though, family is slowly approaching from 3 provinces, and still not sure who is eventually going to enter... :roll:

So I still don't know where I'm going in, or how.

Otherwise, no panic...

Post subject: Re: Richprins stumbles in with Extended Family
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:31 pm 
Thanks for all the comments, all, and the updates, Rose! :clap:

DB, you've given me so many things to add to my list of things to remember! Underpants... :dance:

Was minding my business until the Phalaborwamites got hold of me...so am still recovering and will probably have to do the report in reverse now... :doh:

(The "China" thing seemed very funny last night...was hoping Scipio could remember why... 8) )

Last edited by Richprins on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:07 pm 
Foxy, I vaguely remember being stopped by a traffic cop today, for slight speeding, on the way back.

Now I normally look bedraggled at the best of times, but obviously worse after an unnamed forumite's idea of a quiet night of thoughtful discussion... :shock:

So I think the officer got a fright and let me go... :?

Micetta, "recognice" is spelled with an "s"... :roll: :P

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:02 pm 
Ok, this is going to take a while, as pics only downloading now...(Fancy cameras... :roll: )

The drive up to Pafuri is a long one, especially for an agoraphobic hypochondriac pseudo-insomniac-schizoprenic, so I mercilessly organised one of my nephews to be left at Phalaborwa to act as driver once I had made the first leg from Nelspruit the Saturday morning.

Rendezvoued at Spar, and did last minute shopping. This may sound simple, but somehow the family smells you out from all parts and telephones to demand new stuff! :wall:

All I had to remember for myself was buns and garlic bread...and I forgot the garlic bread... :doh:

So in we went...

Not much to see at that time of day, but pleasant weather and nice to catch up with Fam! :D

This chap refused to move at Letaba Low-water bridge...so got a nice close-up!

Mopane stop for G&T's, as is tradition. Pioneer Dam very full!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 pm 
Better move along! :shock: :?

Encountered this little chap about 10km south of Shingwedzi:

Now he looks big, but this bull is tiny! I could have gotten out and reached up and touched above his temple, I think, but I didn't, as there were others in the car!

He was also very docile.

Notice how short the trunk is, which shows it's a small ellie!

(Also notice how my vehicle, "The Golden Goose", has moved forward rather quickly! :lol: )
Still not bad! (I don't know the "new tuskers"...any info?)

Last edited by Richprins on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:51 pm 
Thanks, all!

Kitten, how old are you? You should have your parents watching over your shoulder when chatting with dirty old men over the internet! :D

Anyway, it seems the ellie pics have made Mafortini and co. commercially hungry! :shock: What should I do?! :?

Maybe R10 per pic? :?

At least I've made a new friend...heeh heeh.. :dance:

Just kidding, but to confuse the issue even more, I forgot about this next one, which was really a big ellie in stature!

Now the problem is, because I was so worried about my family, I can't quite remember where it was, but looking at the camera time, it was 2 hrs later, so probably around the Punda Tar turnoff... :hmz:

(Actually, a bit past my "bedtime"...too much stress and excitement required severe anaesthetic treatment... :| )

Last edited by Richprins on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:04 pm 
Ok, back to work!

Looks like the first ellie was "Machachule", after all! :roll:

The second one I shall dub "Richprins"! :twisted:

(In Siswati, that means "fat and shy with big teeth"...)

Eventually all the family were together around Nkovakhulu, in convoy, despite us having agreed to meet at Pafuri Picnic spot! :?

Very irritating for the Kampkommandant, as orders "ver not followed to ze letter!" :evil:

Here's my first godchild...lovely to see her! :dance:

That's my stupid middle brother in the background...He got the looks and the hair in the family... :doh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:58 pm 
Thanks, p@m!

(And kitten... 8) )

Anyway, after an extremely early night once eventually having all 12 unreliable family members safely behind bars at the accommodation, up bright and early at Crook's Corner...(10 am :doh: )

Limpopo River in full swing!!!!! :shock:
Never ever seen this, even in summer!

And eventually one of the many other tourists actually noticed this and drew our attention...it was directly in front of the lookout, which just goes to show how "peaceful" one can become when confronted by the splendour of Crook's Corner!!! :twisted:

See if you guys can work out what's happening!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:37 pm 
Welcome, new visitors! :shock:

pooky, were you there!?! :P

Eating a big nyala bull.

Personally, I think the thing got stuck in the loose underwater sand as it came to drink, as the crocs are pretty small... :hmz:

(I don't know how many of you have walked on clean submerged sand like that, but it can be a trap! :big_eyes: )

Shall post "carcass reduction" pics as the day wore on... :P

Here is a little video my nephew made in the Kruger Park.

Tip: It seems to be a high definition video, so if your link is slow, right-click and select low definition...maybe Duco can help... :?

View My Video

(Notice how I verbally abuse him in the background...heeh heeh... :twisted: )

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:48 pm 
DinkyBird wrote:
Just maybe next time say "please be quiet and do not spoil the moment, nor the video, with human voice" ... a bit more polite.

But notice I said "well done" afterwards...my theories on education are somewhat Pavlovian... :twisted:

Anyhoo, revisited the scene at lunchtime:

Remarkable how the carcass had been stripped of skin so fast!

And then late afternoon. For some reason the big crocs had only moved in now, and were doing the "spinning" thing, to get what remained.

There is a Hamerkop bird feeding on scraps.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:59 pm 
What was very remarkable was the difference in water clarity between the Limpopo an Luvhuvhu contributions.

Here is the silty Luvhuvhu below, not yet mixing with the clear water above! :shock:

Which made for nice pics at midday! :thumbs_up:

Tomorrow...search for new avatar... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:21 pm 
pooky wrote:

An SMS you sent at the beginning of the TR said it all :lol:

:shock:

Good point! (Shows you how dumb the others are...heeh heeh...)

A bit late tonight due to Municipal Workers' Strike in Nelspruit today, which for some reason included cutting off the power to half the city... :roll:

Anyway, which do you prefer...?

Alertprins:

Suspiciousprins:

Athletic-neckedprins:

A nice pic nearby in "Paradise within Paradise..." - notice the reflections!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 pm 
So a little "lie-in" the next morning, and wake up to find that my car is gone, including resident cooler that has to be stocked with iced tea and water for the day's proceedings! :shock:

Some ghastly family member had taken it/them/her for a drive, (they do that, you know... :evil: )

Discipline is failing in the camp, and I discover some other relative has taken my binoculars! :cry:

So I stamp around in a homicidal rage looking for someone else's vehicle to steal, but am not as expert at auto theft as my younger kin are, and am too scared to wake my mother... :redface:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Eventually my middle brother pitches up and casually reports seeing serval crossing the tar road to the Pafuri Border Post, and a herd of 7 eland near the Picnic Spot! :big_eyes:

The hypertension builds... :wall:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 pm 
BTW, you didn't really think I'd change my avatar, did you... :tongue:

I think this one would be the most appropriate! 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:10 pm 
Hey, joekin! Long time no smell!

Nobody tells me to shut up ! 8)

Except DB... :?

Past bedtime now: Tomorrow... some amazing sightings! :dance:

But more importantly added cooler trouble... :doh:

(Imberbe..that's me not bothering anyone! Surely a true "reflection"?! :shock: )

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next