Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Pumbaa’s + Timon’s first KTP / Augrabies Adventures
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

But our two four-legged and spotted friends did not mind and fed on and on only interrupted by taking a close and careful look in all directions and only to take afterwards again bite after bite. :shock:

From time to time we had luck and both of them were lifting their heads and looking at us with their beautiful brown eyes. Oh my God how I love these animals and what an incredible luck that they allowed us to spent time with them. :dance:

Meanwhile it was also getting still a bit darker if ever possible and more and more rain came down but lucky for us that the cheetahs still had not enough of their breakfast.

Obviously their tummies still grew a bit :shock:

Buddy, I am full nothing fits anymore

But before you have all the rest I will try again whether any space left

Also here they leave the stomach of the springbok behind until the end as yesterday the leopard did. Either they left the best for last or they left the worst behind. I would go for the second as the one cheetah made a very disgusted face whilst the one opened the stomach and the greenish masse came out

After the stomach lost their attention both went back to the remaining scraps of the poor springbok

The one with the collar was still nibbling but his brother had finally enough

To be continued with the very last installment…… :cry:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:57 pm 

It is indeed not easy in doing this now but finally the very last installment is online :shock: :shock: :shock:

In between they changed their positions and the one with the collar was now feeding on the remains and the other one was now resting

But it took obviously too long and he decided that his brother had now finally enough and threw himself right on top of the kill – “Brother look at your tummy I think you have enough now”

But he definitely had not enough – Cruel picture as the face of the springbok was still visible but the death of one creature is the survival of the other – That’s nature :shock:

As it was now raining like hell and there was indeed nothing left from the kill both walked away but astonishing still elegant as far as possible due to the full tummies – They did not waddled like the lion we saw with the huge tummy around Nossob - that’s for sure :thumbs_up:

And left us with again a couple of hundred pictures and another 1 ½ hour extremely thrilling lifetime experience. We watched them slowly walking away over the dunes until they were totally out of sight. During the whole sighting we were only 2 cars. As it was Sunday most of the other people thought maybe to lie a bit in - we experienced this indeed a couple of times when in any park during Sundays.

As it was still quite early we decided to drive up to Dalkeith to check whether the dead springbok we discovered yesterday was still there. But whilst finally arriving with plenty of slithering through all the wet and muddy roads at the spot we unfortunately saw that the kill was somehow gone totally. During the whole drive we saw plenty of wet wildebeests which were indeed not that happy with the weather and two black backed jackals. One of them was carrying proudly a remaining leg from a kill and the other one constantly trying to steal the leg from the other. :big_eyes: Unfortunately due to the darkness and the rain no pictures. Originally we wanted to go as much to the North until we will find again the famous lion pride but we decided that we should make now our way back to TR and so we did.

Also the wet bokkie did not look that lucky with all the rain

The first kilos we indeed had no problems with the puddles and the mud but the much we drove in the Southern direction the more wetter it got. Moreover the rain stopped meanwhile but one car which came from TR told us something about a “road closure” :big_eyes: :shock: and this was the situation when we started to get a bit concerned whether we will definitely make it to TR this day. The following announcement I found on the forum whilst already back safe in Hamburg but I could not resist in including same in my report just to show you that we did not only had luck with our beloved spotted ones and moreover all the other brilliant sightings but also the rain followed us the whole time during our trip through the Kalahari:

Quote:

Rain comes to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

After a prolonged period of unusually high humidity levels, relief finally came with a heavy thunderstorm in the early hours of Sunday, 22 February 2009, when the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park received very good rainfall in the southern part of the park.

• Twee Rivieren - 71mm
• Mata-Mata - 18mm
• Gharagab - 35mm
• Kieliekrankie - 70mm
• Nossob - 14,7mm

Although the Auob River has not flooded, it does look like a river again with huge pools of shallow water that is quite a rare sight. There has been slight damage to some of the roads within the park, however, this will be repaired as soon as possible and should in no way hinder the enjoyment of tourists currently in the park.

The rainfall received for February 2009 is just over double the long term average for each February during the past 40 years.
Tourists visiting in the near future can look forward to seeing the park in a lush green splendor.

Unqoute

So obviously we experienced another rare sighting. As we were already Nossob puddle experienced we thought we will under all circumstances try to reach TR and so we did. The first part of the road we had only to cross really small puddles but between Kamqua and Gembokplein the whole road turned into a river but after driving the first couple of hundred meters we noticed that this river was by far not that deep as the Nossob wet experience and we will try to drive as far as possible. The Auchterlonie picnic spot came to my mind when we will make it up to this spot we maybe could spent the night in the car if the road is definitely closed. Although it luckily meanwhile stopped to rain we were still canoeing through the Auob river. The heavy rains had meanwhile formed waterfalls!!! :whistle: which came down from the dunes high above, overflooded the whole street only to flow into the deeper Auob river. It was indeed another one in a lifetime experience. 8) Unfortunately no pictures as we indeed did not want to get stuck in the river. Finally Auchterlonie came into sight and the river turned into huge puddles and the more we drove South the puddles shrinked more and more into smaller ones and as now again cars from this direction came into sight we calmed down as it was obviously possible to reach TR. Meanwhile the Auob river road turned into the dune road and from high above we finally could take a picture of the flooded Auob river.

Same is looking definitely not deep but believe me we had enough wet experience this day. This is the famous Samevloeiing waterhole at this point still totally flooded.

As it was now totally dry and the sky cleared up more and more the birdlife awoke again

A lone wildebeest was standing in the middle of the Nossob river as we were now meanwhile close to TR but we were too late with the camera so it already crossed the street in front of us.

Everything was flooded

Finally we reached safe TR and what a surprise awaited us when I was checking in - our car was totally clean. The whole mud which was stuck onto our car since Nossob was gone and the car was surprisingly white again. We were awarded with chalet No. 11 and after we had packed everything into it we visited the shop for an urgently needed ice cream. What a delicacy after suffering without ice cream nearly 15 days. Back in the chalet Timon started the download of the whole leopard and cheetah pictures and after watching all of them with open mouth it was nearly too late for an afternoon drive so we decided that we will stay in camp as the roads out there were still flooded so obviously not that much animals around.

We had dinner in the restaurant and also met one couple again which we met already during our yesterday’s leopard sighting. Back in our chalet we only realized that Timon’s mattress was wet – the roof was licking so we changed the mattress and put both beds together in the middle of the chalet and prayed that no rain was coming for this night. Satisfied with our sightings we had this day and full from our dinner we slept like babies only to realize in the middle of the night that there was a regular draught in our chalet. This draught turned out into two bates flying around and so we turned around and slept on.

Monday, 23.02.2009 TR – Upington

With very very heavy hearts we packed this morning everything into our car and headed North up to Auchterlonie for a short morning drive. Although all the water in the rivers meanwhile disappeared not many animals to be discovered only whilst driving back to TR with the first sunlight coming up the usual suspects appeared from nowhere. But far too soon it was time for us to say finally bye bye but another surprise awaited us whilst I waited in the queue in the reception to check out. We met again Marius from Urikaruus and also the repair guy which we met in nearly every camp. The drive back to Upington was really uneventful besides the amount of road kills which consisted mostly of bat eared foxes.

KTP you can be rest assured that we will be back. Up to now I did not know what we have done to be blessed with such incredible sightings during the whole trip which exceeded our expectations of what to see and experience by far. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I am so glad to be part of the forum family as I did not know whether I would have visited this park but the KTP maniacs with their amazing travel tales nearly forced us to visit this amazing place and not to forget Augrabies which was as starter also a fantastic experience. Believe me this was not our last visit here – we will be back!!!

The End of the several course compromising “I stopped counting” dinner menu of Pumbaa (words and most of the landscape pictures) and Timon (nearly all animal pictures).

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:33 pm 

Meanwhile quite a while passed and I and of course Timon too still do not want to miss to say a big enthusiastic thank (again!) for all your amazing, breathtaking and overwhelming comments and compliments.

Our very special thanks is going to Meandering Mouse, Sharifa and Duke, wanderw, Ingrid60, nightjar, Curious Canadian, lorrainepring, p@m, billyf, oddesy, Munchkin, anne-marie, Africat, anne catherinne, JohanN, Anja, Micetta, Skywalker2251, patries, Elsa, Spotted Cat, caracal, icurrie, Katydownunder, Jo, Dreamer, Vlekkie, Shadowdog, Sable, annalie, Stark, Salva, GavinW, lastpride, Mashona, Giraffe, Dotty, RayK, arks, RichardJ, A-J, droopy, Mike1916, Fugs, Wannabe Nerd, AtlantaJoe, Toddelelfe, Eagle Eyes, G@mespotter, davejenny, Janeli, Jock, rusky, AjayB, Mielie, UKbadger, expat, Sandiem, JustNature, mikerid and Morkel777 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: – You never get tired in posting your comments – some of you were so eager to post after each installment which deserves another big hug as without you as audience and without getting such great tremendous feedback I would have never written such a detailed report.

As part of our souls and hearts will forever left behind in the African bush same is already calling us back and we could hear the bush already still very silently but slowly still very slowly the clock is ticking down again – only 144 days to go – this time it is time for another South to North KNP trip which will be ending with 2 nights at the famous Safari tents in Punda Maria to which I personally look already very much forward. :dance: :dance: :dance:

It would be more than great if somehow our paths will be crossing somewhere on this amazing planet – the best would, however, be to meet somewhere on the road in our beloved South African bush to share our passion.

We are saying thank you!!!! :thumbs_up: Will post soon a picture of us in Members mugshot - promised :tongue:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3