Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you, aboon and Spotted Cat, for your much appreciated comments.

There are such a lot of fantastic new trip reports - I really don't know if I shall continue with mine at all ... But, "you must end things you have begun" - so I will go on ... :) :)

Bye bye, Kruger we have to say on 11.10.2007. The alarm clock rings around half past five and SO surprises me by getting up with the first ring. It is still pitch dark outside. We pack the car and hit the road around half past six. We have to stop at reception; there are still some postcards for the letter box. When we drive off, Skillie and Rick arrive at the other end of the parking lot. This gives us the opportunity for a very last good bye.

On our way we meet an Ellie Image
and three giraffes Image
We decide to have breakfast at Afsaal and to drive no more loops. Arriving at Afsaal we order a sumptuous breakfast with eggs and bacon. However some Tokos obviously think they could share our brekkie. But I manage to shoo them away.

Till Malelane gate we hardly see any animals. Not even the warthog family, which bade us good bye in February, is there today. We feel a little pain around the heart as we enter the real life again – it’s the last time Kruger for this year.

We will drive to Piet Retief today and have decided not to go through Swaziland.
Driving is easy, the weather quite OK and briefly before 1 p. m. we arrive at Piet Retief. 2 hours too early, because can check into our pre booked room only starting at 3 p. m. So we decide to take a look at the town of Piet Retief, have a light lunch.

We are greeted very warm and friendly at the farm Guesthouse where we will spend the night. It is cold, only around 12 degrees and we are happy, when the fire in the fire-place is lit. The only other guests are a French couple from Toulouse, they travel through southern Africa for three month – but unfortunately only he speaks very little English and we don’t speak any French. So talking is very difficult. But we converse nevertheless, he translates for his wife.

The night is deeply black, we sleep very well. The weather is wonderful today, I take some pics of the wonderful view from the farm house.
The day starts with a fantastic breakfast. We talk a lot with our hosts, about South Africa, Zimbabwe and Germany but then we have to leave. We are continuing to Cape Vidal on 12.10.2007.

(@ mods: please delete, if I'm too long about non SANP issues...)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie, MM and Pumbaa: thanks for your kind comments. Much appreciated! :)

Since the next part of the journey is not really SANParks related just the agenda:
12.10.2007 Piet Retief – Cape Vidal Beach Camp
13.10.2007 Cape Vidal Beach Camp
14.10.2007 Cape Vidal Beach Camp
15.10.2007 Cape Vidal Beach Camp – Amanzimtoti
16.10.2007 Amanzimtoti
17.10.2007 Amanzimtoti – Gonubie
18.10.2007 Gonubie
19.10.2007 Gonubie – Addo Camp Matyholweni

I am planning to sort the next photos in the following days and will start again with reporting on our Addo visit (with a big Forum meet, lots of Ellies ...) 8)
Please be patient ... to be continued ....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A beautiful report. I just like it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And this is my favorite:
:thumbs_up: :clap:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3