Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Rooikat’s visit: South 29/07/05 to 01/08/05
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:31 pm 

It was a weekend of bateleurs, ground hornbills and rhinos!
Impala lilies were flowering in the veld everywhere – so pretty!

29/07/05: Berg-en-Dal, Matjulu loop
Huge herds of impala, few elephants and lots of waterbuck

30/07/05: S114, S26, S113 and back on H3 past Afsaal
Fish eagle at bridge over Crocodile river
Highlight of day, was a honey badger (first time for me in Kruger) on start of S114 and a bateleur just after that and steenbok
Lots of kudu and ground hornbill on S26
Four rhinos on H3 close to Afsaal (two sightings, one before and one after Afsaal)

Had late lunch at restaurant in Malelane (town) looking over Croc. river – saw elephant with young calves drinking in river, chasing hippo

31/07/05: H3 from Malelane to Skukuza, quick visit to Lake Panic, then H4-1 to Lower Sabie and S82, H4-2 to Croc.BridgeFish eagle at bridge over Crocodile river
Again lots of kudu, two huge impala herds and drinking zebra at Renosterpan and rhino too on road to the pan
Another two rhino sightings just south of Afsaal and African scops owl at Afsaal
Ground hornbill on H3 and two more bateleurs

Crocodile and jolly hippo at Lake Panic, also saddle-billed stork
Lunch at Skukuza restaurant – great buffalo pie!
More ground hornbill on H4-1
Idiot giving a baboon a big, full packet of chips on H4-1…
Herd of ten giraffe in river bed on H4-1

Lioness 6 km’s before Lower Sabie and buffalo just before Sunset dam – dam itself still had lots of crocs and hippo and baboons playing, also yellow-billed stork
Went to look out at Lower Sabie (first time), very disappointed…3/4 of it looks into the roof! Surely it must have been designed not to have the roof overhang that far…
Elephants (breeding herd) in Sabie river on H4-2 and more ellies blocking the road for 15 minutes that we waited, before turning around and taking S82 south…on S82, we found a rhino in the middle of the dirt road!
More rhino and bateleurs on H4-2

01/08/05: Malelane to Afsaal and back
Road kill on H3 – looked like nightjar
Renosterpan great – impala, giraffe drinking, wildebeest and warthog
Black backed jackal and rhino just before Afsaal
Two more bateleurs
Ground hornbill (first young one – yellow - of the weekend)
Scops owl still sitting in tree at Afsaal, about 50 yellow- and red-billed hornbill competing for our breakfast
Another rhino sighting on our way back to Malelane

Not a single yellow ribbon….

All in all: Seven rhino sightings, seven bateleurs and nine ground hornbill (four sightings)! Renosterpan was tops over the weekend – always had lots of active/drinking game!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Eventually!!!!!! I have time to sit and do this. So enjoy!

I need to get the names of the birds translated from Afrikaans to English, will post a bird list later. :redface:

Sunday 24 July: H4-2 Crocodilebridge - Lower Sabie
Drove up to LS and met Freda along the way. She sms’ed me earlier about the mating lions at Gezantfombidam. We did not see them when passing, but we did see lots of cars at the dam, so they where there.

Sightings:
Impala, Zebs, Wildebeest, Kudu, Giraffe, Peeegs, Buffalo, and a lot of Ellies. As GP reported, 2 of them block the road just before the H10 turn off. They moved off as the cars started pilling up :lol:

Monday 25 July Morning drive: H4-1 Lower Sabie – Skukuza, up to N’watimhiri Causeway

Sightings:
Hippo, Crocs, Bushbuck, Impala , Kudu, Duiker.
The highlight was a pride of lion, as we where heading back towards LS. They where quite a way in to the bush, so we could not see them clearly. We could see lionesses and young lions. Of course there was the nice complementary traffic jam :x. We drove off as the pride was moving deeper into the bush. About 100m down the road I caught a movement in the rearview mirror, they had turned aound and the cubs where crossing the road. Unfortunately no pics :(

Monday 25 July Afternoon drive: S82 Mativuhlungu loop, H4-2, S130 Gomondwane loop, S137 past Duke’s waterhole, S28, H4-2 back to camp

Sightings:
Impala, Baboons, Peeegs, Kudu, Giraffe, Ellies, Hippo, Crocs.

Did not see Duke, the tusker that is :). Area is very dry, with no water in the duke waterhole.

Tuesday 26 July Day drive: H4-1 Lower Sabie – Skukuza, H1-1 Towards Mallelane, S114 to Renosterkoppies and the Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial, S22 to S114, H5 Randspruitroad, H4-2 back to camp

Sightings:
Wildebeest, Peeegs, Waterbuck, Ellies, Baboons, Monitor Lizard, Kudu, Vervet Monkeys, Buffalo, Giraffe, Banded Mongoose, Zebs, Duiker and from bridge across Sabieriver Terrapin.

Large areas around the Randspruitroad has been burnt. The road has bad corrugations, not a fond memory of this trip :(
Took pics of the springbok at Skukuza dayvisitors. Had an ellie browsing close to us while having lunch at Skukuza

Last edited by Jaco V on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Episode 2: The day of the Rhino :lol:

Wednesday 27 July: H10 to Mlondozidam (N’wagovillahill), S29 Mlondoziroad, S122 Muntshe Loop, H10, S128 Old Tshokwaneroad back to camp

Sightings:
Rhino, Rhino and more Rhino. Saw 12 for the day, 7 of them on the S122. Giraffe, Wildebeest, Duiker, Steenbok, Zebra, “Rooi-ribbokâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Episode 3: The Pictures

Got some Pics ready and uploaded, enjoy!!! Will post some of them under the animal threads aswell. :)

Rhino with calf

Bakkie charging Rhino

Mongoose

Snake

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And some more:

Monitor Lizard

Hyena

Male Lion

Mating Lions of the S30

Ellie Crossing

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

One last Rhino

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
Super pics Jaco, thanks.

How did you enjoy your stay in the camp - what did you think of LS? Are you happy that you spent the week in just one camp?

I like LS. Not my favourite camp, P/kop has much more character.
I only now LS as it currently is, only started going to KNP seriously from last year. As a caravan camper, I like the fact that there are demarcated camp sites, although I know others don't like formal sites :) Another negative is that the campsites are not next to the fence :(

Last year we spent 4 nights at Satara, and another 4 at P/kop. This year it was 7 at LS. There are enough routes around LS to drive, so it was fine. Although by Friday I wondered if I should not try to move camp to Crocbridge.

Next time I will again go for about 4 nights in a camp and then move on. It gives you enough time to appreciate the camp and drive the routes in the area.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3