Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: KTP and Augrabies Revisited
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:21 pm 

anne-marie wrote:
your son in law is courageous... through the reed :shock: (I think of spider !!!)

Anne-Marie, the last time we did the trail we saw leopard spoor so we were very nervy walking through the reeds. Having said there has never been any incidents that I know off for anybody doing the trail. The baboons also move away when they hear/see you whereas in other places they could get quite aggresive.

Ingrid, p@m, Vlekkie and wanderw and Lorraine the trail is really worth it and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 pm 

At arrow point you have the twin falls to the left and if you look ahead you see the "arrow" and the two gorges are on either side of you meeting at the point

Point 5 is a Sheperd's Tree with a smooth whitish bark and known as "the tree of life" in these ares. Used by grazing animals. A unique feature of the tree is its ability to lower the ground temperature beneath its branches from 70 degrees centigrade to about 20 degrees.

Clever primate sitting under the sheperd tree

Some not very clever primates sitting next to a dassie trail signpost

from left: my SO, son, daughter, son in law and yours truly in front.

The next point on the trail is moon rock, two exfoliation domes of Gneiss rock which are about 700m long and 100m high. It is a bit of a climb to the top

but you get panoramic views from the top

Last edited by Duke Ellieton on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:36 pm 

Thanks Lorraine and Pumbaa.

You going to have a great time on the dassie trail Pumbaa and 14 days in KTP :mrgreen:

A feature of moon rock is "a-frames" or pop ups which are the result of internal stresses in the Gneiss dome resuting in two slabs of rock breaking and ending up leaning on each other. Unfortunately about 80% of the pop ups on moon rock have been destroyed by visitors picking up rocks and placing them in piles to commemorate their visit

An "A-Frame" on moon rock

Another feature on the trail is the Potholes

Some random shots from the trail.

Surveying my domain

The trail was most enjoyable and we got back to camp at 10.30am.

Vlekkie, this is when we got our big disappointment for the trip. We could not go out on the drive to the look out points and the game area as they had reached capacity due to the number of day visitors. We were hoping to see the Verreaux (black) eagles.

We did have lunch in the restuarant and in my opinion the one at Augrabies still serves the best food of all the restaurants in national parks although the one at Lower Sabie has the best setting.

Thats all folks, until next time.

Last edited by Duke Ellieton on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2