Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: A dronk ou, a nie dronk vrou and a lesser grey dingus
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
How do we start a rip roaring trip report that includes international cricket, expert guides, mishaps, hilarious mistakes, lucky escapes, break ins and break outs, world class clots and a dyslexic driver...

Well let me start by introducing "Trusted Beauty", a much loved and much neglected :redface: agent of travel.

This is Trusted Beauty in her more pristine days.

Trusted Beauty became central to this story a very early stage when MM decided that it would be a waste of resources and petrol to make a lonely trip to Skukuza with only one inhabitant.

So MM started keeping a watchful eye for any available forumite brave enough to travel with a spatially challenged mite.
GP and Mads were both keen enough to get to the cricket to risk any adventures this might entail.

GP and MM left G'teng after dropping off Sarabi and "hit the road".
First mishap was GP's car sickness, :big_eyes:
"I don't feel to good" says GP after hitting the first open country.
MM glances at GPand realises that this is an emergency :shock:
GP is lookin horrible... she is pale and needing to stop immediately

MM pulls over, little realising that this was a portent to the next impending disaster.

:hmz: says GP, back in the car. "I don't normaly get car sick. I wonder what can be wrong."

little did we know...

We meet up with Mads a little while later and try to do some low flying to Nelspruit.
There is much to do and little time to waste. :dance: :dance:

Shortly before Belfast, MM suddenly feels as though she is driving on ice... that horrible, horrible feeling that says :big_eyes: blow out.. there is the dreaded flap, flap of shredded rubber, raw metal and burning tyre :(

"Oh my goodness," thinks MM, "this is not good news"

Well, the 3 angels climb out of the car.

The left back tyre is shedded into topside minced rubber :evil:

"Nothing to it", say MM, "we have to unpack all our carefull packing to get to the spare tyre.

Item by item, we unpack the back. There is a little lever that MM sees to pull. That is the magic lever that should release the spare tyre.

MM opens up and

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

no tyre...

MM feels like crying...

"who stole my tyre? " and there is a string of expletives rich enough for a sailor to be banned from a ship...

"What's this?", says GP, as she points to Trusted Beauty's rear end.

oh, so that's where they put the spare tyre :redface: :redface: :redface: :doh:

now MM is once more reminded why there will only ever be one "blonde of the year in perpetuity" award. :redface:

So 3 industrius angels get ready to change the tyre..

Next episode will let you know about how MM reconfirms her blonde status and wants to :wall:

Post subject: Re: A dronk ou, a nie dronk vrou and a lesser grey dingus
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... sorry is irresistible :redface:
the car is beautiful... and the wheels too :wink:
and then ... :popcorn: MM your tales are so nice

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Little did I know what a treat I was in for on this trip. 8) Arrived at MM's place on Thursday. Yip, I got sick. :? I'm not the most intelligent mechanical angel so didn't realize why the car was shaking so badly on my side. Thank goodness for the guy who stopped and helped us out. A real musketeer. 8) Sorry MM, but that spare tyre bit was hilarious! :lol: You should've seen her face guys! But all worked out.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am pleased that you are all enjoying this report :thumbs_up:

even if it is at MM's expense. :wink:

Well, there we were, 3 angels, surrounded by tents, bags, cameras, food, food and more food... all unpacked at the side of the road :roll:

and :big_eyes:

another shock,

We have found the spare tyre indeed :wall: with a neatly embedded nail. :wall:
MM looks at this.. how did this happen :hmz: "they told me that I had 4 new tyres when I bought "trusted Beauty", MM says :( not only that, but it was a deflated tyre with a nail in it :( :redface:

MM looks, Mads looks and GP looks.. :(

just then a knight in shining armour pulls up...
he is very keen to help... until he sees that this calls for :pray: and a miracle more than muscle and skill.

Our knight whips out his cell phone and while he is talking to emergency services it dies on him. :evil:

Our knight realises that this is way beyond him, wishes us well and rides off into the distance.

So MM, Mads and GP try to think of the next step.
MM looks at the spare tyre hoping it will inflate itself.

So, she :pray:

Another knight pulls up in a 4x4 and surveys the situation. I am sure he wondered why we were surrounded by bags and tents and chairs and cameras and food and food and more food, but he is very polite and says nothing.
He is also very polite and says nothing when he is told that, she there is a spare tyre, but it has a nail in it :redface: :wall: and no one has an emergency number to phone.

He offers to take us to a garage to have the spare tyre pumped up.
"You go" says Mads, looking at MM.
I think she thought that if this was indeed the mad murderer from the moors, MM deserved it. :roll:

So MM and the new knight left to find a garage.
Let me tell you, if you are ever in trouble, MM is the person to have with you. Her guardian angels have worked so hard that they know exactly what to do.

We found a garage, arrived back, and the good knight helped us to change the tyre.. a feat that needed a bit of muscle and skill.

If ever he reads this, I hope he realises how grateful we all are for all his help.

Not once did he mention the word blonde, the word, stupid, the word nuts or the word irresponsible.. he just smiled and got down to the job..

:hmz: I want one of those, thinks MM, or a very good secretary. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I hope that I can do justice to what turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable trip. As we move through the memories, you will be meeting many characters who provided moments of enjoyment and companionship.

Indeed, Ecojunkie, you are correct, the name of the thread has it's own explanation.

In actual fact, I will focus on the name in this episode.

We did eventually arrive at Pafuri Gate reasonably intact and after checking in, Mads was given the honour of driving.

Now let me paint a picture of this threesome to understand some of the dynamics of some of the drives.
GP is an enthusiastic, "leaving the nest", birder. That means, she has feathers, birding wings that are developing, a well used Sasol bird guide, and a lot of patience.

Mads is an experienced birder. That means that she has well used wings, a tatty Roberts bird guide, has migrated to other regions a few times and has many tales to tell.

MM is a stuck in the egg, don't know if I want to be one, birder. That means she has a new Roberts, often under the seat, and spends her times with other biders being amused, bemused or bedonered. :roll:

GP had a very special request this trip, to see birds, and :cam: Mads is a walking field guide, so it just seemed the right combination.

Our first bird was a European Roller. That is where the first 20 pictures were taken, with the Roller providing all of about 2 poses, one with the mouth open and one with the mouth closed.

Oh dear, thinks MM, this is going to be a loooooong trip.

Next, Wooly Necked Stork were found, and the next spool of pictures was taken, :roll: granted, there was a greater variety of poses. That is also where MM realised that her "camera clip thing" that has memory and stores pictures, was finished.

MM lost concentration at that point as she had the task of deleleting photos, just in case more pictures were needed of birds opening and closing their mouths.

Mads then starts a game, at least I think it was a game.. she asks, "what do you think will be the next bird we see?"..

For MM, that is an easy answer...she knows that those cheeky black birds with the forked tails are everywhere 8)

a dro-go she replies..full of enthusiasm
there is a moment of confused silence..
"you know", says MM, "the black ones with a forked tail".
2 angels think :roll:

A little while later MM is still deleting pictures and another bird is spotted.

The 2 angels in front then start this strange birding ritual. The birding bibles come out and comparisons are made. They ask profound questions like, "is that a stripe, or a spot?" "Is that yellow or maybe red?" "Could it be a lesser or a greater?", "maybe is a grey headed or a open chested?".

You must understand, that at this point, MM feels like an anthropologist studying the habits of a strange secret ritual. As we drive off, MM looks up and takes note of the bird that has caused so much consternation. Its black, grey and little.

We drive futher, GP in front, scanning the trees and Mads multi-tasking on her side... MM is now on full alert.

From the back of the car a shout suddenly comes out, MM has seen another of the birds that caused so much consternation look a lesser grey dingus

There was an explosion of laughter from the front.

"MM" says Mads kindly later, "in Afrikans we call those black birds with the forked tails, dronk ous, because that is how you pronounce the name in afrikaans".
MM thinks that is very funny.

GP suddenly chirps, "you know, that would be a very good name for a thread, a dronk ou, and a lesser grey dingus"..

and so the thread was born.

I am sure that my other companions will provide some lovely pictures of birds with open mouths and closed mouths, plus their view of dinguses. There is a lot more to come..

Wait till we get to the meaty bits. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a way to wake up. You have to understand guys, I wasn't going to pass up the birding possibilities with a field guide driving us around. 38 new ticks was the result. 8) At least MM has the same number of new ticks! :P We entered via Phabeni Gate btw, not Pafuri. :lol: Time to admit here that it must be the ugliest gate in the park! Whoever thought that would work had some kind of creative relapse. The staff were fast and friendly but there were no colddrinks or ice-cream in the fridges. :? Okay, waiting for the next installment.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:12 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Guess a direct translation is still needed?

Dronk ou = drunk man
Nie dronk vrou = not drunk woman/sober woman
Dingus = thingammy/whatdoyoucallit?/etc

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks ecojunkie! 8) I was making my morning coffee and realized we still haven't explained so logged back in. Drongo is pronounced the same way as "dronk ou" so it's the way we refer to them. Although I only found that out myself when Mads told us. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Only saw this thread now!! :twisted: :redface: :redface: :dance:

What a weekend!! Fantabulous!! Full of adventure!! :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

We arrived at Phabeni gate... not Pafuri :hmz: I think.... :whistle:

Drongo... sounds in afrikaans like dronk ou!! ....So the name stuck for the trip!!

I will definately post pics as soon as I get chance!! :rtm:

Well done MM!! :clap: :clap: Cant wait to read our memories!! GP, MM and Mads on this adventure to continue! :pray: :big_eyes: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi MM,

here is the first pics... hot of the press :mrgreen:

Our European roller...

A leopard tortoise in the road...

Woolly necked storks

Wahlbergs Eagle

Impis in the road

An elephant breeding herd

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
EJ, Mads, GP, Sue-M, great to have you all on board. :D
This is the Sunday "trusted Beauty" gang.

Mads keep the pictures coming :clap: :clap: :clap: they are lovely.
GP :hmz: methinks you had some great looking shots as well.
Sue-M, what about your very impressive looking lens?
EJ, thanks for filling people in on the translations.

To the rest of you all, :clap: :clap: :clap: for the encouragement.

Well, the 3 of us arrived at Skukuza, tired, but in good spirits. We booked in and found our way to the camping area. There we found an area, well and truly taken over by the forumites. We were given a warm welcome.

Ah :D MM immediately recognises the area. This is where she pitched her first tent, 3 years ago :D had a special encounter with a Hyena mum and pup while eating a toasted bacon and egg 8) slept, lying up a hill :roll: and left the tent poles behind :doh:

GP and MM then leave to find their accomodation. It is one of the newer, semi luxury bungalows close to the dip camp. When I say close to the didp camp, with a bit more jaw power, it could have been reached with a "bok droll spoeg".

"MM," GP laughs, "I think they wanted to make sure that this year you did not get lost".

Our arrival is greeted by the cutest group of Banded Mongoose making a reconnaisance trip.
"I could live here" 8) thinks MM.

For those ever wanting to use the facilities, I should imagine that it would be extremely comfortable for a longer stay. The sleeping area is larger, but what I liked was the closed off balcony area that could be used as an eating space in rainy or cold weather. The shower was also much more spacious than the standard bungalows.

By now it was 6 pm, time for the Friday night braai. :clap: :clap: :clap: In the distance, well a bok spoeg away, we could see people arriving for the braai.

GP went to take a shower and MM needed a cup of wake up coffee. We were now ready to go, and that is when we hit a snag.

We were locked in :big_eyes:

The powers that be had decided to make the bungalow baboon and monkey proof, but they had also made it GP and MM proof. :shock:
No matter how hard we tried, we could not turn the door handle from the inside.

"No problem", says MM an climbs out through a bedroom window.

A group of German tourists watched with :shock:

When we returned the next day, and used the door, the one man asked if it wouldn't be easier to just use the window :lol: :lol:

I think, maybe a few folks are thinking at this point :pray: "oh dear, is MM going to tell all". "What did she see at the Friday night braai?"

Don't worry, after setting the tone at last years braai by jumping, fully clothed into the pool, I will be discreet :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Actually my pics are up already. :lol: They're hidden in a quiet corner under "GP's cricket weekend in pics". Friday evening was the time to meet up with old acquaintances and meet new ones. A bit overwhelming for a GP who isn't all that comfortable around people. :lol: We received lovely shirts, a hat and bandana from Sanparks. Thanks to them for that! 8)

Edit by DQ at the request of GP, here are her photos:

Just the photo's, MM is doing the textversion here.

1. Image Link to large version

2. Image Link to large version

3. Image Link to large version

4. Image Link to large version

5. Image Link to large version

6. Image Link to large version

7. Image Link to large version

8. Image Link to large version

9. Image Link to large version

10. Image Link to large version

11. Image Link to large version

12. Image Link to large version

13. Image Link to large version

14. Image Link to large version

15. Image Link to large version

16. Image Link to large version

18. Image Link to large version

19. Image Link to large version

20. Image Link to large version

21. Image Link to large version

22. Image Link to large version

23. Image Link to large version

24. Image Link to large version

25. Image Link to large version

26. Image Link to large version

27. Image Link to large version

28. Image Link to large version

29. Image Link to large version

30. Image Link to large version

31. Image Link to large version

32. Image Link to large version

33. Image Link to large version

34. Image Link to large version

35. Image Link to large version

36. Image Link to large version

37. Image Link to large version

38. Image Link to large version

39. Image Link to large version

Just a few comments on some of the pics.
#2 Wahlberg's Eagle
#1 Greater Spotted Cuckoo Juvenile
#8 African Jacana Juvenile
#18 Sign at Nkuhlu
#19 Saturday dinner
#24 Molondozi Picnic Site
#27 Wire-tailed Swallow
#32 Only my second rhino ever that close in the rain on the S29
#33 The most evil wild lion I've ever seen! He was so skittish. I barely managed the pic. It's him in the pic of the riverbed.
#35 gives you the view from Lower Sabie Deck. My first time in camp ever - mighty impressed. 8)
#36 was also a first visit ever - Pretoriuskop. The bungalow pics are of the bungalow we had at Skukuza, next to the diplomatic camp.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I think folk need to be warned about that bungalow! I joined them there for a meal on Sunday evening - and also got stuck a couple of times :redface:

The door sometimes just will not open unless it is attacked from both sides.....

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
I think folk need to be warned about that bungalow! I joined them there for a meal on Sunday evening - and also got stuck a couple of times :redface:

The door sometimes just will not open unless it is attacked from both sides.....

That's right. When we returned on Saturday eve to shower for the dinner one of the Germans came over to offer his help. Betelgeuse locked an open gate, if that makes any sense :lol:, on Sunday so we didn't have to battle opening it. We all voiced a concern about elderly people getting stuck that way. We thought it was hilarious but somebody else won't. Just to add - Problem reported. 8) Thanks for the reminder, EJ!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you everyone for your very kind words... Sharifa, I suddenly realised that you were joined by Duke :D

Duke, a very warm welcome to you :D

GP, thanks for the pics :clap: :clap: :clap:
great stuff..

So onto the Friday night meet...

Firstly a very hearty "well done" to the organisers :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am always a bit overwhelmed when I first arrive at a meeting.. Yes, MM is actually rather on the shy side.. I needn't have worried.

Nedret and DB were there to settle us in and make everyone seem like family.
I noticed the Northern Devils looking very organised and looking part of the forum furniture :wink: I really do think that you guys need to become an official part of the weekend.
The atmosphere was relaxed and warm and in no time, people were talking like long lost friends.

We all had to collect out name tags, just in case we forgot who we were. :wink:
We had out very cool funky shirts waiting for us.. The ladies cricket shirt, as you might notice in the photo was very chick, almost French it was so sexy, and a bandana to go with it.... and then there was the coooolest of hats to protect us from the sun.

Most generous, thank you :clap: :clap: :clap:

The dip camp really is the most perfect place to start off the weekend. It is just the right size and the big braai fires in the middle added to the atmosphere..

MM, has also learnt, don't go to a forum braai on an empty stomach and a bottle of wine :rtm: The empty stomach wins and the bottle of wine soon becomes an ex bottle of wine..

This year the swimming pool was safe, at least from MM :wink: Maybe there are others that still need to learn that most painfull lesson.

Nedret started the procceedings of with some very sage advice and a lecture on Lions and pooh. It was a wonderful ice breaker :clap: :clap: It was also the point where she told us of the very generous prize for 6 people of an air trip in a two seater..
How lovely :clap: :clap:

The organisers had prepared mounds of salad, good old putu and tomato and onion sauce to accompany our meat.

I think that there was dessert, but as I don't eat dessert, someone else might have to fill us in. (I needed to fit into the sexy cricket shirt)

My moment of drama came when I decided I needed to make my way to the ladies. The cloakrooms are just off the conference room and separated from the rest of the centre by glass doors. Unbeknown to me, Joekin was busy trying to rescue a bat. He had closed the doors... the newly cleaned glass dorrs, and MM in her short sighted state, went walking full speed into the glass doors..

Fortunately for the Angel team, there was no serious head damage... at least I think there was no serious head damage. :roll:

GP and I left when the party was still in full swing.
I will be honest, after all the drama of the day, I suddenly felt as though someone had just let all the air out of my baloon and I needed to get some really good sleep.

I drifted off to sleep, happy and content.. yes there were a few pre-match nerves, especially as I knew that my new perscription glasses had broken :( so I had to play with last years eyes..but what the hell.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next