Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Katydownunder and Francolin in KTP 2008 - The Full Story
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just read all through and caught up..... Wow is all I can say :clap: Thank you for sharing your special moments with us :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And yet another morning, where we do not have to make the decision which direction we are going to take.
Nossob road still closed…..

First sighting this morning was still in camp.
A Woodpecker checking nearly every single tree.

Image Larger View

At Samevloeiing we saw a lovely herd of Oryx.

Image Larger View

Oryx at Samevloeiing

After that we once again made our way to the Mata Mata direction.
At the turnoff to the lookout at Houmoed waterhole we saw this little chap on the signpost.

Image Larger View

We checked the lookout and after that returned back to the main road.
Here we discovered another Shrub Hare.
Amazing how many Hares we had already sighted during this trip.

Image Larger View

Further along the road we saw a Pygmy Falcon having breakfast.
And another one sitting closer to the ground in the tree.

Image Larger View

Pygmy Falcons

Soon after that someone stopped us. And he told us that further on near Monro Waterhole there was a Lion in the Riverbed. Walking towards the southern direction, calling and that he had a Porcupine quill in his cheek.

And indeed we found the Lion, instead of walking he was now lying in the shade of a tree having a snooze.

Image Larger View

Our next stop would be Auchterlonie.
Just shortly before we reached the turnoff, we saw this wonderful Tawny Eagle checking the area.

Image Larger View

And a Kori Bustard in the shade of a bush.
I never saw a Kori lying down on the ground before…

Image Larger View

Right at the turnoff we stopped for a Lark that was sitting in one of the bushes close to the road.
She observed us very curious, but was not worried at all and stayed where she was.

Image Larger View

I bet the sign at the entrance to Auchterlonie warns us against larger animals than the ones that were lying near the sign . :lol:

Image Larger View

We planned to drive up to Kij Gamies recently there had been regular Lion and Cheetah sightings .
En route we saw this group of Oryx youngsters closely watched by the adults from a distance.

Image Larger View

At Kij Gamies…. nothing.

After the rain during the last couple of days we saw more and more young Springboks.
But no really “fresh” ones…

But aren’t they cute, such big ears and eyes.

Image Larger View

At Monro we checked the trees again for the Owls and indeed they were still there.

Image Larger View

We used the time in the Camp for a little afternoon nap. Again it was unbelievable hot.
So we had no sightings on the way back to the Auob Riverbed, we were sure it was still too hot for the animals as well.

We could see that the recent rain already had some side effects.

Image Larger View

Three Ostriches had a sand bath in the Auob.

Image Larger View

Again we checked the lookout point at Houmoed Waterhole and disturbed a couple of Larks that were hiding beneath the shrub.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

We drove up till Monro and decided to return back to camp.
It was already too late to drive any further, moreover we had to pack again as we were leaving for Mata Mata the next morning.
On the way back we heard quite a few Korhaans in the dunes, but only managed to take one decent photo.

Image Larger View

Back at TR we had one last lovely dinner at the restaurant.
A nice glass of wine at the bungalow while listening to the sounds of the night and looking forward to our drive up to Mata Mata tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well as said before we were leaving for Mata Mata today.
Checking the Nossob road again, maybe we could drive via Kij Kij and the lower Dunes Road, but it was still closed…..

So we headed through the dunes once more towards the Auob Riverbed.
Our first sightings was an unbelievable yellow little bird.
A Yellow Canary.

Image Larger View

We simply could not believe our eyes when we sighted the Meerkats again.
How lucky can someone get ?!

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Close to the turnoff to the Houmoed Lookout there is that dead tree lying on the ground, here we suddenly saw a movement.
On closer examination we discovered another Cape Fox Den. Unfortunately the Foxes were not very active and moreover the Den was quite far from the road.
But the little one was really small, smaller than the ones we saw before.

Image Larger View

Soon we left to drive to Auchterlonie,when we had a sad sighting.
A roadkill.
Obviously a Nightjar who was not fast enough….. :cry:
In my opinion this might be a Rufous-cheeked Nightjar ( as far as I can tell by looking the wings).

Image Larger View

Of course we had breakfast again at Auchterlonie before heading further north.
Along the way we had an interesting sighting.
A Squirrel and a Cape Cobra. Instead of running away the Squirrel kept mobbing the Snake. She was pretty annoyed and even tried to attack the Squirrel showing her hood. :shock:
The Squirrel jumped aside, but instead stopping it’s crazy behaviour it kept following the Snake before she was able to slide down some kind of burrow in the ground.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

I know not really brilliant captures , but very interesting to watch, I just read afterwards in the Peter Apps book that this a kind of “normal” behaviour Squirrels have….

Crazy Squirrel

Just after we had passed Gemsbokplein we saw a Slender Mongoose.
She was hiding beneath some bushes and started to run as soon as we stopped the car (as usual.) stopping every now and then to hide again.
They are always very hard to photograph…. :roll:

Image Larger View

Slender Mongoose

Then between Batulama and Montrose Francolin made me stop the car again.
She told me that she saw the tip of an ear in one of the caves to the left of the road. Maybe an AWC.
And indeed having a closer look there was a Wildcat.
But hey it was not just one Wildcat…. It was a Wildcat mum with a Kitten!

Image Larger View

And looking at them, we could see another movement. There was a second Kitten slowly approaching from behind. :dance:

Image Larger View

We simply could not believe it.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

AWC Kittens 1

AWC Kittens 2

AWC Kittens 3

There was no other car around during the whole sighting.
It was magic.

It was no more than e few kilometres when I discovered something in a tree right beside the road….
We were still over the moon with these brilliant sightings when we sighted this other Wildcat!
Maybe that was Daddy ?!

Image Larger View

Just before we reached Kamqua Picnic Spot we saw these Thick-knees with chicks.
They are so tiny….

Image Larger View

At Kamqua we met this not very cooperative Chestnut-vented Tit-Babbler. :lol:

Image Larger View

And this White-browed Sparrow-Weaver (you find them everywhere)

Image Larger View

We were still chuffed when we reached Mata Mata.
We checked into our “ home” for just one night.
Due to availability we did not manage to book a second night .

In the afternoon we just drove till Craig Lockhardt.
On the way we saw a nice Juvenile Greater Kestrel (?).

Image Larger View

And an Oryx at the waterhole.

Image Larger View

But that was it.
So we returned back to the camp, had a braai with delicious toasted Cheese and Onion Sandwiches and soon fell asleep listening to the lullaby of the Namibian generator…. :tongue:

Last edited by katydownunder on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Awesome TR Katy and francolin :clap: :clap: kittens :mrgreen:
What a spectacular day!!
I found the squirrell and snake encounter very interesting :clap:
I've watched the video and had another look at the pics. the 3rd one is a "bum" shot of the squirrell and to me it looks like a lactating mommy (if that is the right phrase :roll: ). Their young are born in hollow trees .... could it be that she was defending her young and that is why she was so brazen? In the video a second squirrell appeared ... could it be her partner? What do you think?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all again ingrid60,Caracal,p@m,anne-marie,Salva,wanderw,Mashona,Jo,Dreamer,JohanN,Zypresse,Pumbaa,
Vlekkie,lorrainepring and Spotted Cat 8)

@ ingrid60
You are you would never have been the only car at a sighting like that in Kruger. Thank good we have never been in any traffic jams at sightings in KTP so far.

@ Salva
:lol: hearing the shutter clicks....
But indeed having the sound of the videos brings back the memories even better.

@ Jo
The November is well worth a visit, although it is for sure veeery hot :wink:

@ Pumbaa
There are always several good reasons to return to KTP :wink:

@ SC
I found this in Peter App's "Wild Ways":
Quote:
"Unless taken by surprise ground Squirrels on the surface have no great fear of snakes.Rather than fleeing they mob the snake and harass it with sideways swishes of their tails until it leaves the area."

Good point that it may be a mum with youngsters somewhere. This gives her even a better reason for her beahviour.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After just one night we were moving again….
This time back to Nossob.
We were looking forward to it. Recently there had been many good sightings up there.

So it was again repacking all our stuff.
But first a nice cup of coffee. Opening the door I felt a bit embarrassed…

We stayed in the second family hut from the left (for those who know Mata Mata) and I could clearly see that all our rubbish was scattered all over the place .Starting from our hut to the (think they are called) Park homes. Some kind of animal (maybe Jackal) managed to knock over our dustbin. I could clearly see the remains of Lemons, Cucumber, packaging of Bacon, Cheese and Butter. So I started to pick everything and putting it back into the bin. While waving a goodbye to each and everyone who was leaving for their morning game drives…… :redface: :lol:

After that I now had my cuppa.
I observed a Groundscrapers Trush that was investigating our car. The window, the mirror the wiper etc. He had a crippled foot, but that does not seem to bother him in any way.

Image Larger View

But now it was time to leave and soon as the car was packed we were off and on our way.

Our first sighting on the way to Craig Lockhart was a beautiful Bateleur.
They are really so pretty. We watched him for quite a while.

Image Larger View

On the way to the Vertiende Boorgat we met the nice couple with the baby again and they told us that not far away a Cheetah was lying close by the road with her cub. The cub was injured, hardly able to move.

Oh no, these are not the news you want to hear….. :cry:
And indeed we found her.
A beautiful Cheetah with a collar. But we could not really enjoy the sighting as it has this very sad smack. I still have tears in my eyes remembering that moment.

We took some pics and video of the mum. So far we still had not discovered the cub.

Image Larger View

Every now and then she was checking the direction where obviously the cub was still lying…

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Cheetah

I felt so sorry for her…..

At that moment a car stopped right beside us.
A friendly hello and than the question: Who are you on the forum? While pointing at our Yellow Ribbon.
What a gorgeous surprise it was ndoto (the writer of Bushwoman Diaries) and partner.
She was as upset about the whole situation as us.
She gave us the information that Gus Mills has already been informed and that he, maybe together with a vet, was coming up from TR to have a closer look,right at that moment.

Now we discovered the cub as well.
Lifting his head from time to time to check if mum was still there.

Image Larger View

We had followed the two Cheetahs on the forum, we saw Skinny (he obviously was Skinny) growing up in the trip reports. We were so much looking forward to find them ourselves, and now we saw him in this condition…

And although I know now that he survived and is now running with his mother again. I am still feeling very sad writing this.
I know it’s nature and things like that happen, but….
Looking at ndotos eyes we could see that she felt the very same way…

For now we exchanged some dates and discovered that we probably would see each other on the road again and that were going to stay in TR on the same dates.
So after a short farewell we were on the road again.

We had a small rest at Kamqua, before heading through the dunes.
It was again very hot. No sightings of any kind along the Upper Dunes Road.

At Kaspersdraai we literally stumbled over some Lions. :lol:
They obviously had a very good meal and were now too exhausted to move an inch.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Lions

When we passed them they were in “touching” distance (not that I want to do that).
You can be very glad that you see the photo without the odour. This boy was a bit smelly…. :wink:

Not too much further up the road we could see tire marks in the road and by the way they were leading everywhere, from left to right and criss-cross we thought there must have been a great sighting. So we checked the area, but could see nothing.

So we drove on to Nossob, stopped at the reception and as soon as we switched of the engine. Someone asked: Have you seen the Cheetah kill down at Kaspersdraai?!
Don’t you love if someone does that?
Telling you what you have just missed..... :roll: :lol:

He than told us that not far from the Lions, a Cheetah mum with 4 cubs killed a Springbok right beside the road and then dragged it into the Riverbed.
Now we knew what these tire marks were all about.
He must have passed through that area only about 30 minutes before us. At that time we were still at the Lion sighting beside the road…..

After all this excitement we needed an afternoon nap.

In the afternoon we drove to Kaspersdraai again, just to check if the Lions had moved…..

Just after passing the turnoff to Mari se Draai we discovered a Spotted Eagle Owl on the ground.

Image Larger View

At Kaspersdraai the Lions were of course still there, but moved over the road for some shade.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Lions

Of course everybody came to check out the Lions and so it was getting very busy.
This made it an easy decision to return back to camp.

Again no sightings a long Maris Loop, but a bit further on a Wildebeest in that wonderful Kalahari late afternoon light.

Image Larger View

A nice braai back at the camp, but after this very eventful day we went to bed early.

Last edited by katydownunder on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well this morning I struggled to get up early.
And believe me it is always a huge effort to do so….. :redface:
Even more if it is still dark and you got no Power like in Nossob, where the power is only back on at 5 am.

But then I grabbed my camera bag, a bottle of water, collected the permit at the gate and was on the road again.
The sun was slowly rising. And I had the feeling as if everybody else was heading towards the northern direction. I myself was on the way to Mari se Draai.
Then not too far from the camp a herd of Wildebeest appeared and started to cross the road.
It was the most awesome light. 8)

I sat there in the car completely amazed and trying to capture this very special mood.
These are the moments you will always remember…

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

I was still chuffed while driving to Mari se Draai.
Just before I reached the waterhole I saw this lovely (?) Eagle.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

At Mari se Draai a group of Hartebeest and Oryx were searching for food and some water.

Image Larger View

After that I returned back to camp for a morning coffee and we soon left again for the northern direction.
Here a Juvenile Pale-Chanting Goshawk was our next sighting.

Image Larger View

At Cubitje Quap the Finches were back for their morning drink.

Image Larger View

Of course we met our ”friends” the Mice and Agamas again…

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

A bit further on we discovered a very sleepy Jackal.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Well on the way back he wasn’t that sleepy anymore. :roll:
A Hare crossed the road and the Jackal just refrained from catching it caused by our arrival.
He looked at us disappointed, turned around and walked away.
The Hare was lucky enough to escape.

Image Larger View

On the way up we had driven over some thorny branches.
Now on the way back to the camp we had the feeling that something wasn’t right.
Back at Camp I checked the tire and indeed it seemed that he was a bit flatter than the other three.
So we asked for some help.
Unfortunately the technical man was already busy with some water pipes at the ablution building. So we had to wait.
In the early afternoon he visited us and soon everything was sorted out.
We had indeed a slow puncture. So the thorn was removed and the tire repaired without any fuzz.
Well done ! :clap:
Tomorrow we are on our way back to Urikaruus and doing this there would have been not that easy….

So it was a little bit later when we started for our afternoon drive.
We stopped again at the spot where we saw the Owl yesterday and could not believe our luck that we found her again….

Image Larger View

Look at this pic. She seemed to be a bit annoyed that we stopped to take some pics…. :lol:

Image Larger View

Spotted Eagle Owl

After that we stopped at Mari se Draai.
We thought it would be a good idea to park there for a while and wait who or what will visit the waterhole.
As soon as we stopped we opened the windows and immidiately had some very persistent visitors.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Starling

But that was all. So we returned back to camp.
This was definitely our last evening at Nossob. We felt a bit sad….. :(
We like Nossob and the area very much.
This evening was a very quiet evening. No Barking Geckos. Could that mean that the weather was going to change ?
A last visit to the hide and after a longer chat with our very nice neighbours from East London it was finally time to go to bed.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Finally catching up with your report, Katy. Your AWC kitties are lovely — well done on spotting them! :mrgreen: I was always hopeful of spotting something in those little caves, but hadn't your luck!

katydownunder wrote:
Will ask for the ID of the Eagle.

I think your "mystery" raptor is a juvenile blackbreasted snake eagle.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:27 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Just spent spent a pleasant half hour catching up with your trip report...fantastic sigtings and photos. :clap: :clap:
I am quite interested in your photo of the finches. Besides the red headed finches there are quite a few birds with red beaks..would these be red billed queleas ? I saw a few suspect red beaked birds amongst red headed finches when I was in the park but I didn't really get a good look at them...now I am wondering if they were also red billed queleas??? :hmz:
Thanks again KDU for sharing your wonderful experiences with us :clap: :D :D..it all helps to keep me going until the end of the month :D

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Zypresse,Dotty,Suej,arks,Mashona,wanderw and Caracal for your great comments 8)

@ Zypresse
Yes although it was really early it was well worth it :wink:

@ Dotty
Writing the trip report helps me to survive the nasty German eather :lol:

@ suej
I keep my fingers crossed that you will be back next year....

@ arks
Thanx for the ID.
You are right the AWC kittens were so very special.

@ Mashona
Eish , I can imagine your feelings when your friend was at your place yesterday to borrow some camera gear..... :wall:
Indeed it feels like lightyears away since we had been to KTP.
But the fact that we are going to be back on the 2rd to the 27th of November helps.... :wink:
Not at all a perfect day here in Cologne, but hopefully Spring is going to arrive soon.

@ Caracal
I think you are right , we saw Red-billed Quelias quite often .
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: End of the month...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It was our last morning in Nossob….. :cry:
So although it is always tremendously hard, I got up very early again to make the most of it.

There were just a few couple of other cars waiting at the gate and once again most of them drove into the northern direction.
I did choose the southern direction.

Slowly making my way looking at the sunrise and approaching Rooikop Waterhole to check if there is anything there.

As I was coming closer I could see that one car was already standing there. And having a closer look I suddenly discovered what they were looking at.
Lions!

Three youngsters were slowly making their way to the road.
Stopped close to the other car and investigated very curious the tires.

Image Larger View

At one point the driver had to start the engine to stop the Lions from biting into the tires.

Image Larger View

Young Lions

Disappointed they crossed the road, but still observed the vehicle.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Then there was a again some movement near the waterhole.
A third youngster had realised that the others had been gone and started to follow them.

Image Larger View

But not for a long time, lol.

Image Larger View

The others were sitting there in the light of the rising sun.

Image Larger View

When suddenly daddy approached the scene as well.

Image Larger View

Isn’t he a real beaut ?!

Image Larger View

Male Lion

And soon mum was there as well…

Image Larger View

I was a wonderful pride of two males, three females and 4 cubs.
It was a shear pleasure to see them and I spend quite a long time with them before they disappeared into higher grass.
All, except two. They thought that it was a good idea to choose the road for a rest.

Image Larger View

All the time Snake Eagle circled above the scene.

Image Larger View

By now it was time to return to the camp to pack everything and move to Urikaruus.

It was a sad moment when we finally went to the reception for the last time.
So we said goodbye and returned our key, not without telling that they can us expect us again next November :lol: . Soon we were on the road with good wishes for Christmas and the New Year .

The Lions were still there when we passed Rooikop.
It was oppressively hot.
And so we had (again) no sightings on the way back to Urikaruus.

At Urikaruus Marius greeted us with a smile and a “welcome back”.
This time we moved into #1 and entering the kitchen we had a huge surprise.
The flaps had been replaced by doors.
It looked good and very tastefully made.
We liked it.
In the evening we would discover the advantages and disadvantages of the new doors….

Image Larger View

We had a shower and later in the afternoon left again for the Boorgats.
Our only sighting there was a Gabar Goshawk.

Image Larger View

We decided to return to Urikaruus as the sky was getting darker and darker.
Obviously a thunderstorm was on it’s way.
That gave us a chance for some landscape pics.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Close to Urikaruus waterhole we saw this lovely Springbok.

Image Larger View

From the viewpoint we had a good view onto the thunderstorm that surrounded us .

Image Larger View

We could literally smell the rain, but Urikaruus did not get a single drop.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

On top of the hill close to the turnoff to the camp the view was quite impressive.

Image Larger View

Thunderstorm Sky

By the time we reached the camp the wind was blowing hard and the branches of the tree scratched on our roof.
But still no rain.
So we prepared a “thunder-downer” and watched the beauty and power of nature in awe.
You never see thunderstorms like that in Germany.

Image Larger View

Thunderstorm at Urikaruus

I could not believe it, but it was possible to have a braai.
The new doors were brilliant.
I was able to prepare everything in the kitchen without being circled by the bugs.
But very soon we discovered a small disadvantage of the new doors as well, especially if you do not close the inner windows properly (make sure they latch before going outside). We closed the door and trying to open again we saw that the window obstruct the door and you are not able to open the door again.
Thank God Francolin was still in the kitchen while I was outside preparing the fire. So she was able to rescue me….
It would have been very embarrassing to call Marius for that. :lol:

The Hyena was once again having a drink at the waterhole.
It was windy all through the night, but still no rain.

Last edited by katydownunder on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Our plan for today was driving up to Mata Mata.
Once again we needed to do some shopping and get some fuel.
So we slowly made our way along the boreholes up to the northern direction.

In a tree at the 13th Borehole we saw this BOP in one of the trees.

Image Larger View

At the 14th Borehole we saw a Lion far away in the dunes, but unfortunately far too far away for a decent pic.

Shortly before we are reaching KTC we see some movement in the riverbed. Vultures!
Obviously they were feeding on something, but everything is covered bushes, so we can not really see what happened there.

Image Larger View

At Sitzas we saw some Oryx with youngsters.
Already the young ones look so beautiful.

Image Larger View

After everything was done at Mata Mata we made our way back to Urikaruus.
Of course we are checking the Boreholes once again.
And…..
Indeed at Dalkeith Waterhole we were very lucky to see two Lionesses with one small and one larger cub. 8)
They were pretty relaxed and we stayed with them for 1 ½ hours without any other car around.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

After this pic the little on decided that it was time to sleep in the shade of the tree where we were not able to see him/her.... :roll:

The older cub was very much interested in the birds up in the tree.

Image Larger View

He was a real character. Trying to catch the flies with his mouth. :lol:

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

This obviously is very tiring….

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

These eyes let you melt away…..

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Mum was pretty relaxed.

Image Larger View

Now we decided to return back to camp, it was far too hot to wait any longer in all this heat.
But our plan was to return to Dalkeith in the afternoon to see if the Lions were still there.

I can already give away now that we saw them again.
But I need more space for all the pics. :redface:

I hope you can stand seeing lots and lots more Lion pics, as I can not decide which one is my fave, ….. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok here we go….. :wink:

We used the time back at the Camp to have a shower and something to eat.
It was once again very, very hot, but we simply could not wait to go back to Dalkeith which is unfortunately the Borehole that is the furthest away from Urikaruus.
That limits the time, always keeping in mind to return in time before “gate-closing”

On the way we had another sighting.
On the turnoff to Dalkeith we saw two Cheetahs under a tree.
Having a look through the binoculars we discovered that it was Skinny with his Mum. So he was still alive.
The mother had caught a Springbok. The dead animal was lying a bit further away. The Cheetahs did not yet start to feed on it.

Image Larger View

What worried us a bit was the fact, that our Lion pride was only a couple of kilometres away….
And we really hoped that they were not coming down south to get the prey.
Skinny was lying there all the time, not moving a single inch.
We left that sad sighting and proceeded our way to the waterhole.

And as I said before the Lions were still there. :dance:
But now we saw that there was no just one smaller cub, but two.
They were so cute. But the bigger cub , was a real start. Sometimes I even thought he is lying there, like he is posing for the cameras.
Here we met ndoto and partner again. What a hello.
Last year we shared a lovely Lion sighting with Jumbo and SO as well as with Mashona and SO.
We told them about Skinny and Mum and they left to check them as well.

This time, unlike this morning, there were a couple of other cars around.
The news about the Lion sighting had spread to Mata Mata and KTC.

Image Larger View

Again the Ladies were pretty relaxed.

Image Larger View

A young Lions life is hard…

Image Larger View

Mum is lying very convenient for the larger cub to have a small drink.

Image Larger View

But he is still oh sooo tired….

Image Larger View

Little Mister Innocent :whistle:

Image Larger View

It is a tough job to care for the little ones.

Image Larger View

Once again I am melting away

Image Larger View

Family Ties.

Image Larger View

Having fun.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

The relationship between the two mothers were unbelievable.
The two small cubs were having a drink, the larger one decided that he wanted to have some milk as well, and simply joined the two youngsters. The mother did not bother at all. Only the two little ones started to make some funny sounds.

Image Larger View

The little ones were simply too cute for words.

Image Larger View

Then they started a mock fight in the middle of the road.
All the “spectators” in the other cars were delighted as well.

Image Larger View

I am sooo cute…

Image Larger View

One of the mothers was lying at the roadside, when a Jackal approached the waterhole.
He started to bark frantically….
Which irritated all the Lions :lol:
If he stayed calm he would have passed without being noticed :roll:

Image Larger View

Lions 1
Lions 2
Lions 3
Lions 4
Lions 5

But then the time had come that we had to leave….. :(
We said goodbye to the Lions and to ndoto and partner.
And heavy hearted made our way back to the camp.

On the way to the 14th Borehole we saw a Giant Eagle Owl in very special light.

Image Larger View

Giant Eagle Owl

We were still smiling while having dinner and a drink on our balcony…..
This evening no Hyena was visiting the waterhole.
Dead tired we were off to bed very soon.
Having a shower we discovered that we did not have any hot water in the shower.
No problem we will check the geyser in the morning, either ourselves or with the help of Marius.

At least a cold shower is refreshing…..

For those ones who are not already fed up with all the Lion pics have a look at the flickr set
for the rest of them…..

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well I told you there was a twist to the shower story.
I opened the tap in the morning to check if the hot water was back on, and…it wasn’t. But moreover there was no water at all. Not from the tap, not from the shower, not in the toilet, not downstairs in the kitchen…None!
So we asked Marius and he told us that no one had water this morning that he was already up the hill to check the water tanks, they were both full.
Mata Mata was already informed. He was hoping that the problem can be solved during the day, or else the camp had to be closed till the water is flowing again. :big_eyes:

So we made a coffee, used the fresh water to brush our teeth and wash the hair and we set off into the direction of Mata Mata.

At the 13th Borehole we met ndoto and partner again.
We told them about our water issue and they said why not having a shower in the Mata Mata ablution block…. Well we had not thought about that :slap:

Sandgrouses arrived at the waterhole to collect water and departed again. Of course our windows were open and while we talked a Sandgrouse dropped the just collected water onto Francolin.
We had to laugh. As if someone heard about our personal “water shortage” and give us some water. :lol:

We said goodbye, just short, after all we are going to see each other again the next day at Twee Rivieren.

Just shortly after we passed the waterhole there was a small pride of Lions lazing under a tree.

Image Larger View

The Giant Eagle Owl we met the evening before was still around.

Image Larger View

On the turnoff to Dalkeith Waterhole we discovered that Skinny and mum were still there.
The Springbok still untouched and not looking too nice. It was quite bloated, as if exploding every second.

The two Cheetahs were just lying there, and at one point Skinny got up and “walked” over to mum. Now we could see that he was hardly able to walk at all.
Such a shame! :cry:

Image Larger View

We drove on to Mata Mata.
Between Craig Lockhart and Sitzas we saw the first ( and only) Bat-eared Fox on this trip.

Image Larger View

At Sitzas waterhole we were not able to drive on the parking spot.
A Secretary Bird stood there looking at us, as if he wanted to say:
Well the Oryx are there at MY waterhole and now you came and want to stop on MY spot here as well..... so we refrained from doing so.

Image Larger View

I am not sure if he appreciated it or not… :roll:

Image LArger View

The Oryx had some kind of argument.

Image Larger View

At Mata Mata we did the usual shopping, had a look at the sightings board and soon were on our way back to Urikaruus.

En route we saw the Giraffes, I am still always surprised to see them in such a harsh environment like the Kalahari.

Image Larger View

Of course we checked again the spot were we saw Skinny and mum.
They were still there, only that Skinny now leaned against the tree trunk.
You could tell that he was in pain and feeling more than just uncomfortable…. :(

Image LArger View

We were very sad!

The Lions were nearly in the same position as we left them, only that they had moved with the shade in the meantime.

Image LArger View

Back at Camp we checked the water, but still there was none.
In the meantime we had something to eat and watched the birdlife in the camp.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

After that we had a rest, and observed the activity that was going on in the camp.
Everybody was busy to get the water flowing again.
And indeed at 3 pm the problem was solved and we had a nice cool shower.
Well done everybody! :thumbs_up:

So later we were on the road again.
Of course we wanted to check out the Lions at the 13th Borehole. Maybe they were moving later and coming to the waterhole.

There was not much of activity in the group except for one young male.
A Giraffe was at the waterhole and the Lion was looking in real cat manner. You could tell what he was up to.
The Giraffe was standing there staring at the young Lion and not moving a single inch.
Then the Lion started to run. :big_eyes:

Image Larger View

So did the Giraffe.
He was not successful ……
She stopped again at the waterhole staring at the Lion. :roll:

Image Larger VIew

Then he crouched in the shade of some trees.
A wildebeest came along the way and the same “game” started over again.

Image Larger View

Unsuccessful Lion

We stayed with the Lions, we were convinced that they sooner or later would come over to the waterhole.
At the moment they were relaxing…

Image Larger View

Then there was movement.

Image Larger View

Stretching :lol:

Image Larger View

And mum was walking over to the waterhole.

Image Larger View

She is a real beauty!

Image Larger View

In between she stopped turned around and called for the kids.
They started to follow…..

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Then mum had enough.

Image Larger View

She turned around. Jumped over the kids (I missed to capture that moment :roll: ) and went away.

Once again she started to call for the kids and they looked up and followed her again.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Lions at the Waterhole

Well all except for two… :roll:
They seemed to be afraid of the water.
That brought to our minds that this might be the same pride we saw last November at the 14th Borehole….(Mashona? What do you think ?!)
Nearly the same scenes. :lol:

You go first and I will follow…

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

Lions at the Watherole 2

After that they were passing our car as if nothing had happened.

Image Larger View

The two brothers stopped right beside the road.

Image Larger View

Lion Brothers

Later one of them went away.

Image Larger View

The one left behind was pretty bored and searched for a new toy.
We stopped right beside him and he started to bum-wiggle like a cat that was going to jump.
I had to accelerate, otherwise he would have ended onto the back of our car….:big_eyes:
I could see in the rear mirror that he was standing there looking very disappointed. :lol:
No one there o play with....

The other Lion joined the second brother in the river bed.

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

By now it was time to go….
We had a last sighting of a Hare just before we reached Urikaruus.

Image Larger View

Another relaxed evening on our balcony was the end of another perfect day in KTP … 8)
This was definitely our last evening in this gorgeous camp and a little bit of melancholy was creeping in….

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Today we had to finally leave Urikaruus.
As always extremely hard…..
The wake up call in the morning wasn’t too pleasant either.
It started to rain early in the morning, the window flap went down and we got a bit of wet feet while still in bed.
So we had to pack all our belongings while it was still drizzling. We had to carry everything downstairs and carried the sand everywhere.
As soon as everything was securely stowed in the car the rain stopped.
It stopped as sudden as it began and soon it was hot and humid.

We had our last coffee enjoying the sight of “our” waterhole. But then we had to leave.

Our first sighting was once again a Kingfisher.

Image Larger View

We sighted our first recently born baby Springbok, oh sooo cute….

Image Larger View

Image Larger View

It looked as if every Springbok of the herd was interested in the new member.

Image Larger View

At Monro we met our Giant Eagle Owl again.
It seems to be her favourite tree, as forumites like Pumbaa, Jo etc. met her as well.

Image Larger View

I always love the Swallow-tailed Bee-eaters.
They were nesting everywhere along the roads, but as hard as I tried I was not able to capture them entering or leaving their breeding holes.

Image Larger View

Then we discovered a Crimson-breasted Shrike catching some kind of Hippie haired Caterpillar.

Image Larger View

Just a couple of kilometres south of Monro we sighted a Lioness far in the riverbed under a small tree.

Image Larger View

Some youngsters were beneath another tree close by, but unfortunately not good for a decent pic.

So we commenced our way to Twee Rivieren.
At the t-junction we were very happy to see that the Nossob road was open again.
So it was very clear which direction we are going to drive in the afternoon.

This time our bungalow was #7.
And what a surprise while moving in we saw that ndoto and partner were nearly our neighbours.
To have an aircon fo a change was quite a relief.
We recharged the batteries, downloaded some pics and after something to eat and a cup of coffee. Said hello to ndoto.
Of course she was travelling with a laptop (at least she had to keep up with writing the “Bushwomans Diaries” and so I was able to sneek into the forum and send a quick hello.
Bit of a strange feeling….

But we were all eager to leave for a drive in the afternoon.
So we were on the road again soon.

Of course our choice was the Nossob road.
The destination was Rooiputs to check the Cape Fox den.

It was a quiet drive, reaching Leuwdrill we saw a little traffic jam.
Someone had seen a Leopard in the morning there and now everybody was searching the area.
But nothing.
We sopped for 1 ½ hours at the Cape Fox Den, but nothing.
So it was indeed a veeeery quiet afternoon and now we already had to return to TR to be there in time for gate closing.

Coming to Samevloiing we saw this Springbok in the very nice evening light (ah I just can not get enough of that light…Image )

Image Larger View

Back at TR we went to the restaurant.
On the way back to the hut we found a Bat lying on the ground and put her in one of the trees.
In the hut a Bat circled around our heads and then she fell to the ground right in front of Francolins feet. So we had to safe her as well.

I don’t know what it is with the bats at TR……. :roll:
It started on our very first trip to KTP where we had to save one out of the toilet :lol:

Last edited by katydownunder on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next