Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Southern Kruger sightings : June 2005
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was able to spend 3 wonderful days at Lower Sabie this past weekend.
Entered the Park at Phabeni on 3/6. Within 2 kilo's came across a bachelor herd of buffalo bulls.
Doispane Road - several hyena sightings
Several elephant sightings
White Rhino
Further rhino sightings were had on the Lower Sabie/Tshokwane Road as well as 2 more rhino on the Doispane road yesterday.
Buffalo and elephant sightings were too numerous too mention, but greatest concentrations of these species were in the vicinity of the Sabie River.
I had no sightings of cats this weekend, and from chatting to people at Lower Sabie, it seems as there was a general absence of cat sightings these past few days.
Many people I stopped and chatted too had the same question "seen any lions?"
The highlights of the weekend were the following 3 sightings.
Sable antelope on the Salitjie Road

a hippo out of the water and right next to the road at Siloweni Dam

as well as 2 Nyala Bulls near Gomondwane between Lower Sabie and Croc Bridge. This is the first time I have seen Nyala in the South of the Park, and while I know they are sometimes seen along the Sabie River, I have never heard of them in this particular area. Sorry I could not get photos of them, as they were moving the whole time, but they were there!

Overall, the best game viewing was had in the Pretoriuskop, Doispane area, which is actually unusual, but was very welcome.

Post subject: sable
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There were 6 sable altogether, but the bull fortunately was close to the road and could be photographed. He was very relaxed next to the vehicle, and eventually he crossed the road in front of us. When we had crossed over the high level bridge and were back on the tar road, we could see him from there down at the Sabie river with the rest of the group.

Post subject: Southern Kruger sightings June 2005
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
As expected, Jacov did not pitch for coffee this morning. You chickensheet. :twisted:

He is expected to reach Malelane gate at 8:30 am. Lets wait in anticipation...

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Listen to this eggwhite. BTW he'll pop in tonight to say hi.

He rocked up at BnD like the last of the big heroes and started to pitch his tent. Ya, u've guessed it. Only took half the tent with. :lol:

So he upgraded to a chalet. He is now sleeping in Pkop tomorrow night. His wife says that when he comes back dry bread and water will be his meals till the end of the month for blowing the budget.

No rhinos yet, and worse of all he did not even c the little rhino waterhole right next to the road.

Other than that he seems to have fun. :twisted:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So did I succeed in brightning up your Friday? Glad I could assist. :redface: :lol:

Camping tips 101:
Always make sure that you have the roof (fly sheet) of your dome tent packed.....

Well at least I am now staying in bungalow, thanks to the friendly and helpfull staff at reception.

On the sightings side things where only slightly better than the camping. Saw:

Impala (as always :) )
Kudu (quite a few young ones)
Giraffe (with a baby, it was about knee high to a.... aww forget it, these things are born taller than most other game)
Waterbuck
And, yes WTM, I saw a rhino!! And yes it was a real one not a rock. Got the pics to prove it.

Moving to P/kop tomorrow, will give you an update from there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It has been overcast and cool the whole day, no rain though. So, yes I could have taken the chance. But I like my privacy. Ironically I have the full set of poles here, even the one used to raise the edge of the fly-sheet....... :redface: :doh:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All, me again.

I am in Pretoriuskop. I though I slept in style last night? Well I was wrong!!!

I got a bungalow close to the pool. This one is even smarter than the one at BnD, and that takes some doing. Only thing that might be a minus is the outside kitchen. The guys 2 bungalows away got raided by baboons and monkeys today. Luckely I have my food in plastics crates (did I tell you I was supposed to camp?), and these where inside the bungalow.

On the sightings side, boy what a frustrating day. I saw, wait for it, excatly the following (Please take note of the numbers)
1 x Buffalo (Dagga boy)
1 x Giraffe
1 x Lichtenstein Hartbeest (This makes up for a rather anoying day!)
1 x Kudu family
plenty x Impala.

Something is wrong here! I suspect my eye sight is going. How do you hide a 5 ton elephant??? Or how do other people (no names, no pack drill) manage to see 20+ rhino? :lol: :lol:

Just one of those weekends I suppose. No tent, no game... EINA!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Freda wrote:
Was it on the Voortrekker road or the tar road?
I'm off to the park next Thursday, bit further north, Orpen area but I can always make a detour :)

I saw it on the S8 loop close to P/Kop, just after turning left comming from the S14 Fayi Loop.

I have just been looking through my Jacana Park Guide. According to it the Lichtenstein occurs in the North of the park.
Now, this sighting of mine happened in a couple of seconds, not even enough time to grab the camera. The animal crossed the road and moved into the tall grass. I identified it from that. Maybe a bit hasty to say Lichtenstein then? There is no mention in my guide to the common Hartbeest occuring in the park, so that is how I got to Lichtenstein.

If I am wrong, which I now suspect might be the case, I appologise. :redface:

Does anybody have any ideas around this?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Freda wrote:
I've only seen tsessebe round there but I'm sure other people have mentioned that they have seen hartebeest.

I can't see any reason why there will not be any Hartbeest in the park. I am sure I have seen posts about Lichtenstein around P/Kop as well. I don't know. Scratch the Lichtenstein part, lets make it 1 x Hartbeest/Tsessebe/Lichtenstein something.

Will chat to one of the staff tomorrow, maybe they have an idea from what I can describe, and they have a good sense of what is around.

Sorry for the confusion......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quick update.

Left P/kop at 06:00, third car through gate. Headed towards Numbi gate and then onto the S3 to Skukuza.

Saw an amazing sunrise. Then 2 Rhino sleeping next to the road. Only me and the 2 rhino, amazing. Still on the S3, a whole heard of elephant. Close to Skukuza, also on S3 kudu, bushbuck, duiker and peeeeg. :D:D:D:D

Man what a morning!!!

I am at the Skukuza dayvisitors area, having a quick bfast, then hitting the roads around here. Will leave the park at around 12-14, will update again from home.

Last edited by Jaco V on Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good Evening, I have arrived safely back home.

Well the rest of the day was less eventfull. Yes DB, it was tough leaving. Got realy depressed when I turned back towards the gate.

Leaving the dayvisitors area heading up the H1-2, I spent some time on the low water bridge across the Sandriver to watch a Pied(?) Kingfisher at work. Got an amazing aerial shot of the little fellow. Saw a big troop of baboons on the Marula loop. Add another giraffe, a peeeg an loads of Impala and that was it.

The cats where absent today. Will teach me to be greedy!!!!

I also visited WTM on my way home. So who is scared now mr. WTM? :twisted:
We had a discussion on the whole Lichtenstein issue I raised last night. Well the conclusion is that it was a Lichtenstein. The "Rooi" (red) Hartbeest does NOT occur in the park!!! They are found in the Western part of SA and into Botswana. The horns on the animal I saw looks similar to the pics that WTM has of the Lichtenstein, and not those of a Tsessebe. So it has to be a Lichtenstein then!!!

Suddenly my whole trip has become even more than worth it!!!
Now only one question: Mr. Bank Manager, when can I go again?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pied Kingfisher in action:

I did not switch the date and time function on the camera off, so my photos are marked :(

And off course, a YR on the bakkie:
Bit small, will have a bigger one on in July :)

Last edited by Jaco V on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Shumba's Visit to KNP - 10-18 June 2005
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:28 pm 

Back from another brilliant wild life experience! Stayed at Malelane for the duration of our trip. Nice camp, pity about the droning noise from the quary outside Malelane town every night - as well as the highway and railway! The camp was very quite at first - but filled up to capacit with campers and lodgers by 16th.

Saw Lion 7 times in 6 days, including mating couples on H3, S118, one pride of 3 lionesses and 1 lion on S25 during a night drive, and single lionesses on S114 and H2-2. Heard them roar 4 nights during our stay.

Missed a leopard hunt by seconds on S114, and a cheetah kill on S122 near Mlondozi. Saw a hyena arrive at the fresh kill though with scores of Vultures around. Also missed a cheetah cross the H4-2 by minutes.

Saw lots of White Rhino - including a bull just 10m the road on H3 just past the Renosterpan turnoff - what a sight. He gaily went on to walk across the road in front of us just metres in front of us - WOW!

Saw lots of Hyena on S110 and S119, as well as around our camp at night. Lots of Small Spotted Genet, Lesser Bushbaby and Pearl Spotted Owl, also an African Civet on H3.

Spotted an Abdims Stork on H4-2 - new sighting for us - great!

Lots of Giraffe all over the place. Herd of approx 30 Ellies on H4-1 and 10 on S25. Otherwise Ellies very scarce - only saw one or two at time ine the Berg-en-dal and Biyamiti areal

There are vast areas where the bush has been burnt on H4-2 and H10 as well as S110, S120 and S139 area. The bush is looking very arid and dusty - waterholes had very little water and most riverbeds dry. Looks like we need to do a rain dance for the animals in the Kruger.

Didn't see any YR at all!!!

Looking forward to our next anual 3 week trip in November.

Post subject: Bosnimf - 12-18 june 2005
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:28 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Here are some of her better photo's of the week 12-18 June. The sable was seen on the H10 and the LIT just outside Olifants Camp.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Chameleon's trip to KNP 16 - 19 June
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:15 pm 

We had a wonderfull trip. Saw lots of game.

Here are few highlights

16th between Malelane via BnD to Skukuza
Rhino's
Chameleon on the road (Highlight of the day for me)
Njala's on the H12
Buffs, Impala, Kudu, Zebra, Giraffe, Blue Widebeest, Ellies, Baboon, Monkey, Croc, Ground Hornbill

17th Skukuza to Letaba
YR Johann on the S93
Start the day with 3 Male Lions just outside Skukuza
A few hunderd Zebra on the H1-4 at Ngotso
Hyaena
A puff-adder just after I chat with Johann he must have missed it by minutes
And the normal lot of other game

Nightdrive Letaba
Steenbok, Scrub Hare, Hyaena, Black-backed Jackal
Large spotted Genet
African wild cat

18th Letaba to Statara via Timbavati picnic spot
Lions just outside OlifantsCamp
Leopard on the S39 in the grass on the ground
Saw lots of Giraffe on this road must have been more than hunderd
Also good sightings of all the other game

Nightdrive Satara
Lions on the S100
Steenbok
Duiker
2 times Chameleon
Small Spotted Genet
Buff, Ellies ext
And the highlight of the evening just outside the camp a
Side Striped jackal

19th Statara to Phabeni gate
Start with Hyaena
Duiker
Ostrich
4 male Lions at a Buff kill
and again about all the other game

Look if it was the weekend to be in the Park, as I read about all the other's good sightings

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next