Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Nico & Yvonne's Sightings : KNP Jul 2005
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
Hello, I am new here. My name is Nico Bulder and I am a wildlife painter and my wife is a wildlife photographer.We visit the KNP next week for 5 weeks. This is our 8 visit to KNP. We tavel from north to south and making films and photo's for my work.We have had a lot of close encounters with elephants, lions and a lot more.We travel every sandroad in the park and visit nearly every waterhole. We go two times a year to visit KNP and the north of the park is our favourite area. You can visit my site and se my work and a lot of photo's made by my wife.New photo's are coming soon.
[EDITED BY GP - Link is in your sig, no need to repeat.]

Last edited by Nico on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: close encounters
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Yes Wild@Heart, we have seen many many nice moments with animals. To close encounters with elephants but we servived. Once we had a lion looking into the open screen of the car while we were looking out of the screen on the other side of the car. We turned around and the adrealin was running through the veins. Happily, the lion had already eten. Lots of elephants film and wilddog together with lions, lots of hyena's and a hyena with a snare around his wounded nek, was terrible.Whe did a lot of walks with rangers and had close encounters with elephants, lions, rino's, hyena's, buffelo's and lots more. Some rangers we knew were Cobus and Gherard from LS, Jumbo from Elephants, Paul from Shingwedzi and the leggend from Sirheni was Daniël who learned us a lot of the bush. And so I can talk for hours about KNP.

Last edited by Nico on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Bad lion
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
DinkyBird wrote:
Welcome to the forum Nico - you have people here who will listen/read for hours and hang on your every word so keep talking..... :lol: Great to read of your experiences!
Thanks Dinky Bird.I will tell some experiences from our trips in the KNP. Last year we were in Olifantscamp and drove over the S90 toe Satara. There were some lions on the road and we stopped to make films and photo's. After a while there came a BMW and the car stopped. The man from the car was taking pictures. Then one of the lionesses came to his car and sniffled a little on his car.At once she bit in a tyre and I heard a sound.[POFF] Than the man react and start the engine. The lioness stepped back and the man drove a 20 meters backwards. Then he came out off the car to look to his tyre and it was flat. On the same moment, a young male lion came up and chased the man. Just on the right moment, he closed the door from his car and the male lion was disappointed. I drove to the man and asked him if he need some help. He was laughing and said that this was the second time that a lion was killing one off his tyres this week and a said that this was our first kill ever.We found to Olifantscamp for help and we leave the spot. The reason of the tyre killing was that probably a dog had urinead outsite the KNP on his tyres.The man had a bad day and we had the photo,s. :thumbs_up:

Last edited by Nico on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Filmed MUG
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
I filmed a scary MUG last year august. We were driving back home from Olifants to Phalaborwa gate when I saw a car coming with something stranges on the top of the car. I took my camera and started filming. What I saw was incredible.A little kid of about three years old was sitting on the top of the car with his hands beside him and his feet on the front screen.Only one hand of a adult was holding the little boy by his shirt. The speed of the car was about 30 km an our. When they saw me filming, they start to wave their hands and looked happily. I drove on and at once I hit the brakes. A hundred meter further came out of the blue a big male lion out of the thick bush and stand just before my car. On that moment I thought about that little boy that they had just mist this lion and probably the lion mist his meal. How stupid can people be. In the same situation, the little boy was for sure fallen down from the car by hitting the brakes like I did when I saw that male lion so close by.It's a pitty I can not show this to you but when there is a way, I will do. :)

I can show you the lion in our website when you visit the photo's from my wife. The last three photo's of the lion photo's is the lion that I talked about. [EDITED BY GP - Link is in your sig, no need to repeat.]

Last edited by Nico on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Nico is back
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Hi Krugerpeople, we just arrived and we are very tired from the trip. It was an amazing time we head in the KNP. We saw a lot ellies, some to close, we had on a walk a white rhino standing before us at 10 meters away.We were in the middle of a lion hunt trying to catch sabel antilope and much, much more but the most amazing thing what we saw was a leopard killing a wharthog just three maybe four meters away. We made a lot pictures and film of this spectacular kill.

Last edited by Nico on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Thanks, the pictures will take a while before we can show them but we will work on it. We have also beautifull pictures of "Duke"the greatesd big tusker of the KNP. Pictures of Sabel antilope, 25 Roan antilope, Tsessebe, nice MUGS and so much more but I will tell all the experiences when I am back in life after a good sleep. :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
With a Mug of Dutch coffee :lol: We had a man standing on the roof of his car making pictures of two old buffelo's just two meters away of his car. Because the gras near Pretoriuskop was to high he had to climb on his car but with an attack, he was not able to go back in the car by time, so he was lucky.And so we have about 5 cases more.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
arks wrote:
WOW, Nico, sounds like you had a fantastic trip!! I especially :mrgreen: your sable and roan - I've only once had a fleeting glimpse of sable and never roan. Will be most interested to know where you saw them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :D
The sable we saw was between Orpen and Talamati [S140]. A group of 7 sables. We saw two big male sables between Talamati and Satara [S36] hunted by lions.The roans we saw on the main road between Punda Maria and Babalala picknickspot [H1-8] They were standing on the road, about 25 animals. Also Tsessebe was near Babalala and on the Old Main Road [S144]
We saw a big groep of Eland on the main road H1-8 near Mandadzidzi waterhole, about 30 animals and two lichtenstein-hartebeest. We also saw a reedbok on the H2-2 Voortrekker road between Pretoriuskop and Afsaal picknickspot.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Freda wrote:
I saw sable near Numbi gate last month, the first time ever in over 20 years, was amazing.
I've never seen roan and to see about 25 in one sighting is about a third of what is supposedly in the park, wow. I'd love to see that.
It was amazing to see so much roans but they were verry shy. There were a lot of young animals. I counted about 24 animals but it even can be some more.

Last edited by Nico on Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Lion attack. This lion had attecked us. My wife Yvonne was making this foto from an open window when suddenly the lion came in a split second to the car. Yvonne dropped her selve backwards and the head of the lion appeared in the window. A scary moment.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
This picture Yvonne made a second before he jumped.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
This is him after the jump and he looked if he had given us a warning, and with all respect for the lion, Yvonne took this pic.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Monkey problems, ME :?: :roll: :lol:

Last edited by Nico on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Here some pic's. This elephant chased away this angel and her musketeer from the Nhlanganzwane Dam. :shock:

Last edited by Nico on Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Only the angel came back, the musketeer was gone.The coward. :roll:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next