Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lionhugger's Sightings : (Shipandane Hide) KNP Jun 2005
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:52 pm 

I will be staying at Shipandane Hide next week. Although we are "old-timers" as far as KNP goes, we have never seen the hide, let alone stayed there. Can anyone help with some info, re what we will need , what facilities are there, etc. Any first hand advice available? Did anyone see any game, etc. Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi and welcome, lionhugger.
I've visited the hide many times but never actually slept over there. I'm sure it will be great :)
Check it out here:-
http://www.sanparks.org/groups/birders/ ... _hides.php

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:14 pm 

This is only my opinion.
If I remember correctly the Shipandane Hide is located on the S142 just past the junction with the S136 and close to the Pioneerdam. It is situated on the one side of the Tsendze River, which at that spot is VERY narrow. Not much to see from there in my opinion and it may have been a better option to make the hide at Pioneerdam an overnight hide.

lionhugger please post a report on how you experienced the hide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lionhugger has contacted me direct; for general information, this was my reply....

==================
There are beds, and bedding is supplied - and that's it! Everything else you will need to take yourself.

There are braai pits for cooking - if you want to do so - but you will need to take crockery, cutlery and so on. I didn't bother - I just took bread and cold meats and had a picnic.

Take plenty of water - you'll need it for washing as well as drinking as the toilet facilities are basic and have no running water.

Mosquito nets are provided with the bedding and there are bug screens over the hide "windows" but they will not stop mozzies.

Torches are a must as there is no lighting at all. At the last minute, I ran into Phalaborwa and bought a powerful spotlight to help with night-time viewing. It cost about R500 but you can probably get one for quite a bit less - I had to take what was available in the camping shop in Phalaborwa. Lighting must be battery powered - no gas/oil lamps are permitted.

As you may have gathered, on my night at Sable Dam the animals were on strike; it was still a superb experience, however, and I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Jealous - me? Never - well, perhaps a bit.....

If you have any more questions, please ask away
==========================

Post subject: Shipandane Hide
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:25 pm 

Thanks to all of you who passed on information. We stayed at Shipandane Hide last week and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Mopani camp reception supplies bedding, battery powered lamps, a picnic basket and a water container, everything else you need to bring.
We did not see much game, either big or small but we did have a visit from 2 elephants whilst we were braaing (a bit too close for comfort at one stage!!) We were woken at about 4am when 2 hippos decided to enforce their territorial rights, but apart from that, not much activity.
However, it was a good experience and a sleep-out in the bush is always an experience to remember.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]