Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo for Angie!!!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey everyone :)

Well, as some of you know, i'm going to Addo for the first time this weekend :dance: I absolutely can't wait....from what i see from many of the TR's, it's an awesome place to be.

We'll set off on Sat morning (flight) and make our way to Addo main camp for the 3 nights. not sure what to expect, as i've heard it very different from KNP :huh: ..... but really cant wait.

I want to start this TR off with some tips from those of you who have been to addo....anything from food, to best roads, etc. I'd really appreciate it :thumbs_up:

Also, i'll be taking my laptop, so if there's signal, i'll do my best to keep you all updated :)

Angie :D

Post subject: Re: Addo for Angie!!!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:49 pm 

Angie, you are in for a great time!

Do not even think of Kruger when going to Addo. Addo has its own charm. I love it. I find the night sounds there so special. Look for the small creatures.

Hapoor waterhole is always good for ellies. So sit there and just enjoy watching them (IF they are there). Do remember tho, that one can go to Addo and hardly see any ellies!

If you are there for 3 nights, you might wish to explore right down to the Colchester gate.

Just a little way off from the Colchester Gate is a well equiped Spar and the shop in Addo carries basic food stuffs.

And take a torch and spend time in the dark at the underground hide!

Have a super time, and looking forward to your trip report.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 pm 

HI Angie - you sound so excited, I'm sure you are going to have a great time. As for the best roads, Addo is quite small so you will certainly have time to do them all very well in 3 days. There are 2 male lions that seem to be favouring the area around Domkrag dam at the moment, so you could have luck there. Plan also to spend a good while at both Carols Rest and also Hapoor Dam - even if there is nothing there when you get there, something always pops up sooner or later - and both are very good areas for viewing -plenty of space for everyone. You should be able to get most of your basic supplies from the shop (though don't forget your shampoo as they only had anti-dandruff last time we were there!!) - we don't eat at the restaurant that often, but their food is usually not bad - they make a good chicken burger! Don't know if you know the park at all, but if you come in at the Colchester gate which is just a half hour or so from PE, bear in mind that the new section is not yet stocked with game so sightings will be a lot less - though we once saw a bushpig on that road, as well as kudu, warthog and birds - until you enter the main section after about a half hour drive. Apparently, the black rhino comes down to the floodlit waterhole at the main camp every night from about 8.30 to 10.30 without fail - but we have yet to see him - cannot get hubby to leave the braai fire! There is a nice underground hide looking out onto the waterhole which gets you quite close to the action. Yes, Addo is really so different to Kruger that it is rather unfair to compare the two, but it does have a charm and character of it's own. Hope you have a wonderful 3 days and am looking forward to the TR.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:07 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Angie
My hints and tips for Addo are..
Spekboom hide...great for morning photography. Pack a flask of coffee and be prepared to stop off there for a hour or 4. I had the most wonderful photographic opportunities there..buffalo, warthog, ellies, monkeys...but don't scream when a mouse runs over your toes. :shock:
Rooidam has often delivered hyenas..but most of all just go and enjoy !!!
And there is not much wrong with Butter Fish in the restaurant either !!!!
:D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone....so, i'm getting ready for a good night sleep now after spending a lovely 30min at the underground hide. Delayed flight, so didn't have time to go out today, but enjoyed exploring camp :D
Did see an ele at the hide, a few kudu along the fence, and a Southern boubou shrike pair. :)

Been raining on and off today, so its a bit of a wet, quiet night....but he rain has stopped, the sky hopefully clearing by tomorrow, and now going to sleep with listening to the jackal in the distance
:thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]