Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Hop along cassidy and her helpers go north
Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hop along cassidy (aka Elsa) and her helpers (aka Klystron, Jock, Martial and Tawny) and due to start the long trek north in a few hours. While the helpers are rushing around posting messages on the forum, packing (especially the charger for new camera) etc, cassidy is resting.

We will be taking the computer and attempt to send our sightings from our timeshare, but if that does not work we will send our sightings to Penny.

Cheers from us all

Her Highness

Jockelina

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi, Elsa and Klystron stayed in the timeshare to recover from the long trip up while Martial, Tawny and Jock went shopping and then went into the park. For an afternoon visit we had a great trip with four of the big five seen. The only missing member being the ellusive leopard.
Elsa, Klystron and Jock will be going in tomorrow. Elsa doing much better now that she is in paradise.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have just spent 20 mins on the phone with Elsa and thought I would let you all know that she has arrived at Ngwenya safe and sound. Struggling a little with the crutches so is wheelchair bound at the moment. She is having great fun finding all the wheelchair friendly ablutions in the Park. They did not go into the Park yesterday as it was a long drive up so gave Elsa a chance to just sit on the verandah looking at the endless activity on the Crocodile river and the flood plain.

Today they went in at 7.30 this morning and saw everything except leopard. Found 8 lions a couple of km's down the S28 and a cheetah on the S29. Elsa will keep me updated on how she is and what they see! Sounds like it is a very good start to their two weeks! I have advised her to get a glass of wine and spend the rest of the afternoon watching the buffalo and elephant whilst the menfolk are watching motor racing on TV!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:38 am 

A little personal update on my latest activities in paradise, currently sitting on the verandah, leg up as per usual :roll: and watching as big herds of Impala come down for their morning drink, as well as the ever present Waterbuck and Warthogs, a short distance away away 4 ellies are browsing in the reeds plus a really big herd of Zebra, so you can see I am being well entertained. :D

Jock and the others have gone into the park for the day and are hopefully having a great time.

We all went in for an afternoon drive yesterday but not too productive unfortunately, nevertheless always so great just to be in the park.

I will attempt another trip in tomorrow and see how I manage.

Have met up with Graemy and SO at L.S. and Ngwenya and SO at his namesake yesterday. :wink:
Hopefully will get to meet Ecojunckie, Rusky and Sarah very soon. :dance:

Will report again after tomorrow's trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry it has been a while since our last report, but you know what it is like living in paradise. You just don't remember anything else. :wink:

Anyway, since our last report we have all had turns in going. With Elsa's leg we generally like to give her the whole back seat to keep her as comfortable as possible. As far as sightings go as a whole, the cats have been hard although we do see pins all over the place, but it would appear never while we are there. While with Elsa and Klystron we did find three lions but it was not a "QV" as Elsa puts it. Just before moving chalets on Friday for our second week, I spotted a leopard walking down to the croc river. Martial and Tawny were also able to get to the window before it disappeared but unfortunately Elsa and Klystron missed it.

There are plenty impala around, as well as kudu, worthog and ellies. Martial, Tawny and myself did see something that might prove interesting. Two nyala's with lovely horns, but the one was light brown. Another driver told us it was a female, and very rare sighting. We have good pics so will post them and see what you think.

Okay, off now to go and stare at paradise again.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just spoken to Elsa.
She is improving daily. Today they have not gone into the park.
Sightings of the cats is not too good as the grass is still relatively long still.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Latest update. Martial, Tawny and myself went into the park for a few hours on Sunday. We saw the usual and were disappointed driving towards the Croc Gate at once again not seeing cats .... then suddenly two lioness' spotted 1.3km from the gate. Apparently a pride had been causing trouble at the gate :shock: and reportedly seen on the low level bridge into Kruger.

Then today Elsa, Klystron and lucky me went into and shortly after turning onto the S28 found a lioness with four little babies. She lay down next to the road to proudly show off her children before taking them off into the bush. These cubs were sooooooooo cute. Once again the leopard did not show itself, but we are very pleased with our lion sighting which must be rated as the best ever seen.

Along with our great lion sighting we sighted a yellow ribbon at Lower Sabie. It turned out to be Sara and we were able to have a lovely chat over coffee.

Tomorrow we are going in for the day with two vehicles so all five of us can be together and have arranged to meet Ecojunkie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Dotty - yes we do have some stunning shots of the lioness and her cubs. Can't wait to share them with you all.

Yesterdays trip into the park a huge success with the big five spotted as well as hyeana. On our way up to meet Ecojunkie, we found Sara and Rusky at Lower Sabie. It was just like a mini meet.

Had a lovely lunch and chat with ecojunkie and also saw a new tick, a crowned hornbill.

This morning I went in on my own (Elsa's leg was sore after two days in the park) and found the three cheetah that have been teasing us on the S28.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Went in yesterday afternoon with Tawny and Martial and went up to see what the leopard had done with his kill. We found him up the tree still munching away. We then came down the S28 and could not believe our eyes, two cheetah :shock: hunting. While we were with them an unusal thunder storm hit the park and received some much needed water.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Wow cheetahs... and hunting :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We all went in yesterday as it was our last day before the long drive home today. Within 500metres from the Croc Gate, 2 cheetah. They walked onto the road and lay down. Truly awesome.
We also found lion on a kill (but not great sighting), a lovely tusker, and then in the afternoon, another cheetah. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Back to the grindstone :( What a wonderful 2 week holiday with Elsa, Klystron, Jock & Martial. We were extremely fortunate to have some really awesome sightings, especially of Cheetah, as I had only seem them once before. It was such an experience having a thunderstorm in the park as well. You could almost feel the vegetation giving a huge sigh of relief. Can't wait to "re-view" all the photo's again. Thanks again to Elsa & Klystron for including us in their little piece of heaven.

It was also great to have met Sarah, Rusky & Ecojunkie. It certainly was a very impromptu mini-meet at LS with Sarah & Rusky. Hope you both thoroughly enjoyed your trip.

Now we begin our 2 year wait again! Thank goodness KNP will be there for many years to come.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was really needing this holiday after having a very stressful April and May. I arrived in South Africa a week before our trip to our timeshare and was so excited. Then, as many of you know, Elsa falls and breaks her leg.

For a while we were all very concerned about our trip, :cry: Elsa insisting we still go even if she can’t make it. She just does not understand, Kruger without Elsa is like coffee without sugar.

Anyway, it all turned out in the end and we all packed the trailer. Admittedly we had a few extra things to take now that a broken Elsa was coming along like a wheelchair and shower chair. Space was tight so the shower chair (which looks a lot like a loo) was placed on top of the trailer. :redface: Because Elsa takes a little longer to get ready and is also not around to organize everything, we leave later than normal but that does not matter, we are on our way.

At camp we saw buffalo, waterbuck, Egyptian geese, white breasted cormorant, white browed robin chat, yellow billed Hornbill.

Image Egyptian goose

Image Southern Yellow Billed Hornbill

Saturday 24th May - Martial, Tawny and myself go in for an afternoon drive.

We found this fellow in the naughty corner just outside the Lower Sabie camp

Possibly because he has a bad boy and littered.

This beauty waiting for us to take his picture along the H4-2 near the weir.

This kudu female looks like she is talking to us.

Red Billed Hornbill with a snack

Elephant

Three lions found on the H4-2

Vultures going to bed

We ended our first full day with this stunning sunset.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:00 am 

Hey, that looks just like my leg? :hmz: no it can't be, my cast is bright blue. :shock:
And some of those pics look just like some I have seen before, especially that stunning sunset which made me indeed very glad, I was able to make the trip. :dance:
Great start Jock. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sunday 25th April 2008. It was a beautiful sunny and clear morning when Elsa, Klystron and myself entered Kruger at Crocodile Bridge. It was Elsa and Klystron's first trip into the park in their new car so Klystron had great fun fiddling with this and that.

We decided to do the S28 and head up to Lower Sabie for something to eat. On our way we found:

This Goliath Heron welcoming us into the park by the low bridge at Crocodile Bridge.

We then found this Pearl Spotted Owlet clearly showing off his false eyes on the S28

Within 45 minutes of entering the park we were lucky enough to see this pride of lion walking across the S28 with great purpose. Clearly they were looking for breakfast and another few minutes, and we would have missed them. Timing is everything in Kruger. The last lioness is clearly feeding young and we think she is the lioness we saw a few days later with the cubs.

The shortly after seeing the lion we came across this Lilac Breasted Roller and he was way to pretty to ignore.

After having a quick stop at the Ntandanyathi Hide which has been revamp and is now splendid we found this handsome kudu.

Back on the H4-2 we found a White Backed Vulture catching some rays

This little male Steenbok giving us a quick look before dashing off into the bush

We stopped for a bite to eat and coffee at Lower Sabie. This coffee comes highly recommended by Klystron who enjoyed a cup every chance he got. It had a lovely flavour and compliments must go to the staff for great service.

Off again and Elsa decided to take us along the S128 were we found this White Crowned Shrike which was a new tick for me.

Then we see a few jeep jockeys going past us on the S29 and we know there is something special ahead. Sure enough, we find this beautiful male cheetah resting under a bush.

Back over the Lower Sabie bridge to make our way back down the H4-2 we find this Juvenile Wire Tailed Swallow and this hippo promising a nice open mouth but just not getting it right.

What a great day in the park. We drive back to our timeshare feeling happy and relaxed, all our worries out the window. Upon our arrival back we see this herd of buffalo who Marital and Tawny told us had been around all day, starting to move along. With the sun going down behind them it created a lovely scene.

Thanks to Pumbaa, Annalie and Elsa for helping to move to a new page.

@Pumbaa - you are right, it should be. I can't believe the beautiful cheetah sightings we saw and I doubt think we will ever see that many in one trip again.

@Annalie - Elsa's cast turning blue was doctors fault. He removed the white one so he could check up the cuts and remove the stitches, and then only had blue so poor Elsa now has a fashion challenge every morning.

@ Elsa - That sunset was indeed stunning and even more so knowing how close you came to missing it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next