Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tuesday 13th May Nossob

We were up bright and early and second in the queue at the gate – word had spread about the lions at Marie se draai.

Apparently the folk who had been on the night drive had come back with amazing stories about 2 lions having a bit of an argy bargy right next to the vehicle and they just happened to be on the loop went all this went down. This meant that almost the entire camp wanted to see the lions. The guy who was first let us pass by so that he could wait for his friend. We made a bee line for Marie se draai and were not disappointed. Wow 2 lionesses, 5 cubs and 1 lion. We arrived at the waterhole to find this action.

(Sorry the light was horrendous!!)
The big male walked off towards the south and crossed the road and disappeared over the dune. We decided to follow the lioness with 2 slightly larger cubs. We watched them playing on the river bed and walking down the road until they eventually followed the male up and over the dunes.

We rushed back to the waterhole hoping to see the other lioness with the 3 tiny cubs but alas they had also disappeared. We did see them in the distance trying to climb trees but it was too far away for pics.

We sat around for a while and then decided to retrace our steps and go back to camp to pack as we were due in Urikaruus that evening. We had not gone far when I suddenly yelled at Gav to stop. There was a rather large lion lying on the right side of the road and Gav had not even noticed him.

We parked and watched him for a while when a car pulled up and asked us what we were looking at. The look on their faces when they saw the lion so close to the road was priceless. They watched for a while and then told us to look behind our car. This is what we saw.
I was in heaven and did not think that it could get any better (I was mistaken but more about that later). We watched the family reunion and followed them as they headed off down the river in the direction of Nossob.

We headed back to camp, packed up and took a slow drive to Urikaruus, via the dune road. Just before Dikbardskolk we saw the ‘Red lion magnet”. We made a brief stop to say Hi to Bucky, Suej and Texasboer and swop some stories. We crossed the dunes, made a quick stop to say hi to the hyena (still no cub) and arrived at Urikaruus.

We met Marius and unpacked into the third unit from the left. We decided that after our long drive we would sit and enjoy the view and have a potjie. We had this guy come and visit and we watched the family scurry around in front of our unit.

It was wonderful just sitting there and watching the sun go down and listening to all the night sounds. Another awesome day in paradise.

Last edited by CuriousCanadian on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Layout

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Thanks everyone for your comments. :D Now after this post hopefully we will turn the page!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wednesday 14 May Urikaruus

We woke the next morning and soon after 7 headed north towards 13th and 14th boreholes in the hope of seeing the lions again. We passed the hyena den but no-one was home so we carried on to 13th. It was a really quiet day in Africa, but we did manage to see a few of the local residents :D

We went as far as Dalkieth and turned back to return to camp. We spent a very lazy afternoon in camp at Urikaruus just soaking up the atmophere and watching the comings and goings at the waterhole.

Later that afternoon we drove down to Kamqua and back and saw little besides a couple of giraffe right near the Dune Road turnoff.

We returned to camp and as it was originally supposed to be our last day in the park( We added an extra night in at TR after our car episode) we had a steak braai that evening.
Then at about 8pm, we were just about ready to turn in for the night our neighbors picked up some movement at the waterhole in their spotlight. LEOPARD!!! :D I was like a duracell bunny I was so exited as we watched him come down to the water, drink and then fade off into the night. Debs tried desparatley to get a photo (even if it was dark and fairly far away), but kept saying she couldn't see anything through the camera. She then gave up and enjoyed the moment watching through her binocs.
Only later did we realise that she had left the lens cap on the camera in her excitement!! :redface: (and who says she's not blond!! :evil: ) (Joking Debs!)
We were so chuffed with what we thought was to be the grand finale of our wonderful trip.
Little did we know that the next day the Kalahari would provide the perfect day for us!!!

Last edited by CuriousCanadian on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Layout

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all - think that you should know that seeing a leopard was a highlight for Gav, in fact that is all he wanted to see....... and I blew it - :redface: we saw this special moment and did not have a picture to prove it ...... sorry Gav. I am just very thankful that the next day the wonderful KTP gave me a chance to redeem myself...........
There will be more tonight
Debbie (the blond/grey)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thursday 15th May Urikaruus to Twee Rivieren

ANOTHER ONE OF OUR PERFECT KTP DAYS

Woke up bright and early and saw a genet at the waterhole whilst trying to wake up over a cup of coffee (I wonder if he was the guy that raided our oranges?). We had already planned to go on a drive first then return to pack before heading off to TR. We had also arranged with Marius to come back a little late so we hopped into the car and headed off to what we thought was our 2nd to last day in KTP.
Image Sunrise

Of course I was aware that I had made a big BOO BOO the night before so I was hoping for some nice sightings to make my hubby happy………little did I know what was in store for us…….

We popped into see the hyena and of course the cubs were nowhere in sight and she seemed to be doing what she did best, Yup dozing and peering over the embankment. So we left her and headed towards 13th borehole. Gav thought he saw some leopard spoor but we were not sure so we carried on towards the waterhole. About 4 kms before the turn off to the 13th loop I suddenly yelled at Gav to stop and reverse. There up on the left we saw him….WOW….WOW…WOW.
Image Image
He was beautiful and the morning light was fantastic and my husband was ecstatic. We walked with him for about an hour all on our own. He was marking his territory therefore he was walking pretty slowly but got a bit angry with us as Gav tried to keep him on the left (good light) and he wanted to walk on the road.
Well he got his own way with a little help from me. Gav and I almost came to blows as he kept on moving when I needed him to stop. He did not realize that with my camera one of us (either the leopard or myself) needed to be still to get a decent pic. Thankfully we sorted it out and got organized and these are some of the success pics.
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

We followed the leopard into the 13th borehole loop and just past the road intersection he disappeared into a fallen down tree. At the same time we saw a car going along the top road. We waved and flashed at them, they stopped, looked and carried on. If they are reading this, I am sorry that you missed such a great sighting. Then the other cars from KTC started to arrive, amongst them was Delboysafa and his SO. Oom Piet Heymans also joined us. We followed the leopard across the river bed at 13th and he eventually climbed up over the ridge to the main road. This resulted in a mad scramble by everyone present to get to the top where we saw him cross the road and disappear into the dunes.

Image Image Image
After chatting to Delboysafa and his SO and saying our goodbyes we headed back to Urikaruus, making one last stop with my mommy hyena and low and behold the cubs were out and about.
Image Image

We got back to Urikaruus, showed Marius our exciting pics, packed up and left the stunning camp
and headed off to TR…….. little did we know that our perfect KTP day was far from over…………..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

OK Looks like tonight is going to be hectic so I will do Wannabe's job and post the second part of the day:

Thursday 15 May Urikaruus to Twee Riveren

We left Urikaruus at about 9 45am and set off south to Twee Riveren with mixed emotions. On the one hand we were over the moon with the mornings sightings whilst on the other hand returning to TR was the start of the end of our holiday, as we were to spend the night in TR and then head off back to Cape Town via Augrabies the next day.
We stopped for a while at Rooibrak to watch a herd of Wildebeest approaching the waterhole and whilst we were there sipping some coffee we also saw this Tawny skipping around the area:

The wildies eventually arrived and the tawny ducked....
We carried on towards the lower dune road near Achterlonie and kept a keen eye open for suricates (Thanks for the tip Dreamer :D ) , and were lucky to see them fairly close to the side of the road. A first for both of us :dance:
Here is one of their sentries:
Inbetween Kamfersboom and Munro we saw some faily large herds of Gemsbok and springbok including these chaps:

Whilst we were on our night drive in Nossob, Francios the guide had told us about the resident Cape Cobras to be found in the sociable weaver's nests. We had been looking diligently for some sign of reptile movement in all the nests we passed, when sudenly... bingo we saw one. This was not only the first snake we had seen on our trip but also very much a first for both of us.
Whist we were watching the cobra some other cars arrived and told us about some lions at Houmoed. We made a note to keep a look out and to tell Delboysafa if we saw him when we got to TR. Sadly we didn't spot them and we arrived at TR just after lunch.
We were given chalet number 12 (I think), we partially unpacked as we were really just spending the night and introduced ourselves to our landlord:
I then went off to the maintenance department to settle the account for our breakdown near Mata Mata. I was very pleasantly surprised with the reasonable bill, especially for the labour content of the account given the amount of time spent on the repair. (SANPARKS Techinical Dept rock!!! :clap: :clap: :dance: )
Once all the admin was over and done with, and we had assertained that Delboysafa had left for Cape Town we decided to go for our last evening drive up to Houmoed to see if we could see the lions that had been spotted earlier.
On our approach to the waterhole we spotted some of the pride on top of the dune. They were not very active and really were just getting up and lying down again etc,etc.
After a while this chap decided that he needed a drink:

We watched them for a while before having to set off back to camp.
On the dune road on the way back we saw these red hartebeest

as well as these stilts at SamevloeingImage
That evening we had a pleasant final braai and watched our last sunset of the holiday:( The end to an amazing day during which we had seen a leopard, suricates, a cobra and some lions :D What a day:D :dance: )
Well thats what we thought!!

But you can never be sure as to what the Kalahari is going to come up with next.......
To be continued........

Last edited by CuriousCanadian on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Layout

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Ingrid for helping to turn the page :D Now on with the report!

Friday 16 May Twee Riveren

We woke up bright and early keen to go on our last game drive before setting off to Augrabies. I took this photo of our last sunrise in the KTP:
BTW my SO's sunset pic from his last post was actually a sunrise pic over Two Rivers this morning (Can never trust a man with anything!! :evil: )
We decided to head out on the Auob road again hoping to see the lions at Houmoed again after the previous evenings sighting. We saw all the usual along the dune road (ie nothing!) except for these ostriches
Just after the TR 10km sign we heard a loud "Thud" coming from the rear of the vehicle.
We just looked at each other and as soon as the steering wheel turned 90 degrees we knew what had happened.... Been there done that got the new leaf spring...
Sure enough the other spring had broken. Gav stopped the bakkie and we sat. Luckily we were still within cellphone range so Gav phoned TR for help.
A while later we were back in TR the spare part was being ordered from Upington and we had been relocated to chalet no 24 which must have been there "emergency" accomodation as it had an amazing view of the construction sight of the new border post, and we had been asked to leave our other chalet.
Image Me outside our new accomodation
Image And the view
As Gav said...... You never know what the Kalahari has up it's sleeve for you :evil:

We spent the rest of the day in camp at Tree Riveren just keeping ourselves busy. Gav arranging that the old leaf spring be removed so that we could get away earlier the next day and I spent the day reading and walking around the camp. We even went for a swim.
Image Gav at the Maintenance section - He got to kow it pretty well!!
That evening we were delighted to spot billyf and his SO setting up camp. They couldn't believe that we had ANOTHER broken leaf spring. Anyway we ended up having a really enjoyable braai with them that evening
ImageSunset
ImageReplenishing supplies
Image A visitor at the braai!
We eventually went to bed with arrangements made to meet the SANPARKS guys early the next morning to relplace the part.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sat 17 May On our way home

As per arrangement, we were up bright and early hoping that the repairs would not take too long so that we could go for a quick drive before leaving for Cape Town. (We had decided to push through in one day due to our extended stay in the KTP)
We were picked up at about 7.30 and were only about 2km out of the gates when we met a traffic jam. We had just missed a leopard up on the dunes on the left. Well that was ok considering what we had already seen!!
We eventually got to our car and the repairs were quickly effected
In hindsight we were just very lucky that the car broke down while we were still in the park, as at least we had the SANPARKS infrastructure to help us as opposed to if it had happened say 20km out of TR :D
We were soon on our way and went for a quick drive up to Leeudril and back.
All we saw were some Gemsbok and these sand grouses at Samevloeiing
We then reluctantly returned to camp, packed up, sorted out the repair account and set off back to Cape Town at about 10.30.

Unfortunatley all good things must come to an end, and with that so did our amazing holiday in the KTP.
It was a wonderful experience where we had loads of firsts and met a whole crowd of new freinds! :D Also we have been lucky enough through this TR to relive our holiday.
Also thanks for your patience with our report and for reading it.
Wannabe Nerd and GavinW
Needless to say our 2009 trip is booked and the deposit is paid!!! :D :D

Last edited by CuriousCanadian on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Layout

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3