Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 5
 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Southafrica 2007 – The Adventure Began Again
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sunday, 21.10.2007 – Rare Sighting Of A Mysterious Game

At 05:30 we leave the camp for Skukuza. First game of the day a wildebeest, than zebras and warthogs.

We turn on the S106. We like to take the untarred roads to skukuza. We hope, that these roads are a little bit quieter than the main roads. And it is very quiet.

Elephants in the bush and after the turn on the S140 a few buffaloes near to the road in the grass.

More ellies and buffs and after 21 km the first car. It seems, the saffies had have good parties after there win of the world championship. ;-) A wonderful christmasbowltree, beautiful birds, bucks and flowers are joining our way.

Image Image

Image Image

The first highlight of the day on the S36 a hyena. But she has no time for us. She is on a mission.

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Do you like a cliffhanger? :twisted:

And on. Giraffes and in the dry riverbed of the Ngwenyeni 2 ellies amused us with their morning toilette. Our way to our breakfast would be garnished with 2 lovely kudu dames.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

08:45 we arrive at Nhlanguleni picnic spot. It is time for Breakfast. There is a big hole in my belly. We made a pretty looking breakfast at this magical place. A toko entertained us, the sun is shining, lovely. After 40 minutes we continue our way.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

It is again very quiet and it become very hot. Than a loudly STOP! from the co pilot. 16 km after Lugmag Dam. Hmm? On the left a hill, many bushes and trees. Right, there is something, hmm? No! Yes,

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

SABLE! +- 20 sables resting in the shade. WOW! What a sighting

Image Image

We stood there for 90 minutes. Luckily we got a place in the only shadow. We hope that they will move down to the road. But nothing. They are like lions. No movement in the shade. Than a few movements, unlucky over the top. But a great moment to see the second time, after 1994, these mayestic antelopes.

Image Image

At 12:00 we reach the H1-2. Ah, a tarred road! ;-) We saw a ellie-carcass near to the road,

mating baboons,

Image Image

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

crocs and than our final destination – Skukuza. Skzukuza is the main camp of Kruger, like Smallville, with a bank, post office, restaurants, library, supermarket, doctor, petrol station with mechanic, open air cinema, 2 pools, internet cafe and lots more. In the daytime is here a lot of action, but in the evening it was every time very quiet.

We go to the reception and check in, in a very quick time. Like ever, friendly and competent service. We had again a safari tent. We hurry unpacked our luggage and than a break.

At 15:00 again on tour. But first a stop at the supermarket. Nearby my only tree agama on this holiday.

Image Image

In the park than vervet monkeys, waterbucks, impies and a baby turtle. Every time it is funny, how one could, with a sighting of such a small thing, irritate other people. Others stop, look in the distance for the big 5, and are really irritated, when you show them the “little” creature. :o)))))))))

Image Image

On the H3 again a hyena. Like so often, in such a hurry on a mission.

Image Image

At the junction to the 112 again a group of ellies with cute youngsters.

Image Image

Image Image

We reach the camp a few seconds to 18:00.

Image Image

And to all surprise, again a braai. Hmm, tasty.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Monday, 22.10.2007 – Speeding Kills

A new surprise, we leave the camp at 05:30. After 3 km the hyena morning patrol.

Than a new highlight, a speed trap. An officer with a laser gun. And he didn´t “shot” in direction to Skukuza. No, he wait for the cars coming from the gate. But it was to early for the tourists, so we believe, he “shoot” the workers!

We took the S1, our destination is Pretoriuskop. One of 2 main camps, where i never was before. Many usual game, highlight ground hornbills on the road.

If i remember correctly this was the time, when another driver waved me down. "Are you TE?" What a surprise, a forumite. But i am so sorry, i forget his name. I think something like christian or cristoph :hmz:

Image Image

Image Image

Nyamundwa waterhole hippos and a heron. A short time after this buffaloes crossing the road.

Image Image

On the Albasini Road came we to close to an elephant bull. He gaves us a clear signal. That makes your heart a little bit faster. Fast a few meters on.

Image Image

Than a lone house of a turtle. Hm, where is the turtle?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

At the Shabeni-Hill 2 klipspringer.

Image Image

At 08:45 we arrive in Pretoriuskop. A beautiful, little camp. Nice restaurant, usual food, that i took. At 09:25 we leave the camp. I think, it would be nice to stay there for a few nights.

Image Image

We took the H1-!. At Shittlhave waterhole all wait for the arrive of 2 ellies.
View My Video
We wouldn´t wait so long. So we leave the spot, saw in the distance, we think, Tsessebe.

Image Image

Via Napi Rock and Transport Dam back to Skukuza. On the way giraffes, bokkies and birds. In camp i use the laundry and take a nap. But not for long, it is to hot. So i take a dip in the pool. What a great luxury. Than a visit to the internetcafe, holding contact to home. An icecold coke, than i explore the bats under the lapa. That is really GREAT!

At 15:20 again on the road. We drove a few roads near to the camp, H1-2, Maroela Loop, H12, H4-1. Wonderful landscape, lots of ellies, baboons and ibis. Only the cats are gone. But you could do nothing on this. 2 wonderful bateleurs, thats all for the day.

The sun (SO) would say, i know showed my complicated part, but i say, enough. Today no braai, i didn´t want it, no power in me. We buy a pizza and a cheeseburger at the take aways. Sitting near to the lapa, guests are the bats. They start there day, ah nightshift. Enough for today.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oops, i forget to add some pics to my TR :redface:

Via Napi Rock and Transport Dam back to Skukuza. On the way giraffes, bokkies and birds.

Image Image

In camp i use the laundry and take a nap. But not for long, it is to hot. So i take a dip in the pool. What a great luxury. Than a visit to the internetcafe, holding contact to home. An icecold coke, than i explore the bats under the lapa. That is really GREAT!

Image Image

At 15:20 again on the road. We drove a few roads near to the camp, H1-2, Maroela Loop, H12, H4-1. Wonderful landscape, lots of ellies, baboons and ibis.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Only the cats are gone. But you could do nothing on this. 2 wonderful bateleurs, thats all for the day.

The sun (SO) would say, i know showed my complicated part, but i say, enough. Today no braai, i didn´t want it, no power in me. We buy a pizza and a cheeseburger at the take aways. Sitting near to the lapa, guests are the bats. They start there day, ah nightshift. Enough for today.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tuesday, 23.10.2007 – Day Of the Monkeys

Today a new thing ;o) leaving the camp at 05:30. We took the H4-1 / Highway, we go to Lower Sabie. Not much traffic. In the sunrise greeted us an impressive marabou.
Image Image

Also a lot of baboons, a wonderful warthog and a vulture.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

At Nkhhulu picnic spot it is time for a loo. Also time for a fresh coffee. We watch the playing vervets, than we hit the road again.

Image Image

Not much to see on the way to Lower Sabie.

At the sunset Dam we see hippos, birds and of course crocs.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Than Lower Sabie. Tanja took at first the shop ;-) and i the fast food :o)))). I enjoy the view over the river and were amused by the funny birds.

Image Image

I now realize, these were long 3,5 weeks without my Sun. I will home! Funny, waits someone lovely for me, than are 3 weeks long!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, i will stay also the last few days, i am a man! No tome for sissies in SANParks.

A few minutes to 10:00 we leave LS. First stop at Sunset Dam. This time egyptian geese with small ones, very close to the crocs. Impies want to drink, but a warthog chases them. :o) than hippos outside the water, a little surprise.

Image Image

Image Image

Than a de ja vu! Like 2005, an ellie as a road block. It could be the same place, and also the same ellie. Equal, the forth and back game starts. Such an impressive ellie bull could be very scary. After only 10 minutes we got the chance to pass thru.

Image Image Image Image

On the way home nothing special. I think, Tanja needs also a longer break. This midday and afternoon we do nothing. Reading, pool, shopping and doing nothing. We watch the vervets close to our tent and visit the bats.

Image Image

In the evening again a highlight...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is a pleasure to write a TR to you all. So lets continue, the last evening is calling :cry: :big_eyes:

We visit the Selati Train Restaurant. In early days a railroad goes threw the park. If i remember correctly the line was closed after a flood. But the bridge over the Sabie is still there and the Skukuza Station with steam train is a lovely restaurant.

Very stylish and relaxed atmosphere. You sit in front of the train, thats new. In 1994, my last visit at Selati, the dinner was served in the train. Very nice and ever present service. We start with garlic bread and croc, main dish are linefish and filled filet steak. Dessert crepes with icecream. Drinks are wine, coke and water.

Image Image

Image Image

Very, very tasty, Rand 350,-- / EURO 35,-- for both together.

On the way back i jump again in the pool. Super!

Our last evening in Kruger :wall: we are little bit sad. We decide to empty our beer, Jack D. and Amarula. After that, we fell into the bed and slept in such a hurry.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wednesday, 24.10.2007 – All Good Things Came To An End :cry: :wall:

It could be, that it was one drink to much yesterday evening :o)))) We are to late, we leave Skukuza at 05:40 L

Image Image

The last morning in Kruger. A super start, after 7 km on the H1-1 2 rhinos crossing our way.

Image Image

Than a fantastic eagle in perfect light.

Image Image

Image Image

And lots of other game. On H3 an Kingfisher, giraffes and waterbucks.

Image Image

Break at Afsaal picnic spot

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Break at Afsaal picnic spot. I hope to see the famous scops owl. Okay, that was easy, a sign board, with the command to search the owl, placed under the owl.

Image Image

Image Image

A cup of coffee and on over the H2-2, than S114 and S119.

Here a group of buffs, very close.

Image Image

On S25 vervet monkeys, ellies, waterbucks and reptile on the road. Impies, zebras, buffs and kudu. The end is coming closer and closer.

Image Image

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A few meters behind the junction to Hippo Pool, the highlight of the day. At a waterhole 3 rhinos. Perfect. Nice modder bath and than scratching. Argh, cool. Close by a warthog.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Sorry we must go on.

10:40, Crocodile Bridge. No breakfast, power failure. What a farewell ;-) We check out and leave the park.

CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

First i had to thank you all for your nice comments.

Second the last installement:

We drove via Swaziland to St. Lucia. One of my favourite spots outside SANParks. 3 nights, beaching, relaxing, eating fish and than to Durban. Flying via JoBurg to Paris and than to Berlin. No, not this time. Strike by Air France in Paris.

No really help, self organized trip to Paris Gare Du Nord. Taking the train to Brussels, taxi to the airport, flight with Air Brussels to Berlin – Tempelhof. Delayed over 12 hours, more costs EURO 860,-- / Rand 8.600,--.

But Air France promised to pay the costs. And the money came!

Best sighting
1. 2 rhinos running on the road
2. whales
3. lion cubs

We drove 6.940 km in Southafrica. 2857 km were in the SANParks, 33 km Cape Of Good Hope, 1.068 km Kgalagadi, 1.756 km Kruger. Totally cost for the 6.940 km Rand 4.343 for fuel (incl. Tip). We had not noticed all the time how much fuel we get, but i think our Toyota Avanza need 7.5 litres on 100 km. I think a moderate use.

Wish List:

Coming back!

Honey Badger
White Shark
Bushbaby
Pangolin
Roan
LIT
Porcupine
Brown Hyena
Rock Python
Chamaleon

But the most important thing, a healthy girl!

The End

Thats all folks, the next TR will follow, but i have no date for the next trip, so you have to be patient :whistle: But i know, i´ll be back!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5