Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 5
 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southafrica 2007 – The Adventure Began Again
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

At 14:25 leave we again the camp. Argh, we must go back 2 times, because we forgot some essentials. J

We took the Letaba Riverway, on the way freshwaterturtle and an ellie. On the other side of the Letaba a group of ellies.

Image Image

Than a noise in the bush. Here he comes, an elephant bull. The noise was only the sound from his mouth, when he ate, not his steps.

Than 2 mongoose running in front of us. To fast for a pic. Under a tree 2 hadeda. We complete our tour over the Letaba Riverway with baboons, dung beetles, impies and birds.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

And the normal sundown.

Image Image

Point 18:01 were back in Letaba! Okay, the clock in the car is 3 minutes before the real time J))))))))))) :lol:

Dinner from the braii, like so often, but tasty. And 2 geckos joining us.

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

billyf wrote:
... - not even a few crumbs for that lovely little dove?? ...

For doves it´s easy to say no. We say in Berlin flying rats. :wink:

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thursday, 18.10.2007 – A Normal Day :wink:

Not what you think, i didn´t feed the bucks. It´s a fake. Nothing real in my hand.

Again wake up call to my sun in germany. Kisses. We leave the camp at 05:30. We drove over the gravel roads to Olifants. Nothing spectacular. Turtles, ants, impies, Lord of the ring tree (baobab), kori bustard, squirrel and more birds.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Want more? :wink:

Breakfast in Olifants, typical SANParks breakfast. Olifants isn´t my favourite camp. For me, it is a little bit to perfect. Equal, the breakfast was ok, all parts in the camp are perfect and clean and the staff is nice. Interestening list on the info board.

We drove on on the S89 and a short part of the S90. We are lucky to have a glimps of a lion. Ellies, croc under the olifants bridge, buffalo, turtle and a small water monitor. And lots of pirols.

Image Image

And near to the road a big monitor.

Steenbok, impala, baboons and 2 lions. Somewhere on the way warthogs, zebra, giraffes and waterbucks. And more impalas. Than back to Letaba over the H1-4. Again the Lion. It seem to be a mating pair, in the bushes well hidden a lioness.

Image Image

And a stop at N´wamanzi

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:08 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Eugene123 wrote:
Quote:
For me, it is a little bit to perfect

:huh:

Hi Eugene,

I understand your missunderstanding. I hadn´t the right english words for my feelings about Olifants. It is a lovely, clean and well organized camp, with excellent staff.

But as said before, i prefer the more "normal" ^!§$%%& :wall: :hmz: i could not catch the right words. I prefer Letaba, Lower Sabie or Balule. These are my favourites.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Back in camp at 12:50. Here also a photo mission with bushbucks, squirrels and birds.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

The afternoon drive is unspectacular. Ellies, zebra and mongoose.

Image Image

In the evening we join the Letaba reataurant. Very tasty menu with a kudu main dish.

Before i could go to bed, i had to save Tanja and catch a spider. :(

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Freitag, 19.10.2007 – Real Bums!

Today no wake up call. ;-) We observe at 5 a hippo on the way to the river.

We leave Letaba at 5:31 for Tamboti. A few minutes after sunrise a lioness. Unlucky only a bum shot.

Image Image

Than a highlight, a hyena on patrol. We could follow her for a long time.

After we decide to go on, at Olifants Bridge a thirsty ellie baby. So cute.

Image Image

On / under the bridge the usual colourful things, crocs and birds.

Image Image

A few meters behind the bridge a warthog. Then again a hyena. Lucky day? She seems to be a younger one. We think, she protect the den.Yesterday people saw here cubs. Than we took the S39.

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On the way impala and we stood 20 minutes with the baboons. In the grass an owl, good pictures.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Break at Timbavati Picnicspot.
We also saw on this morning marabou, giraffes, zebra, wildebeest and others.

Image Image

At 13:00 we reach Orpen to check in for Tamboti. Than 3 km back to Tamboti Tented Camp. 40 safari tents on wooden desks, hidden in the bush. Very close to the fence and the bone dry river.

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You couldn´t see the other tents from yours. But you hear all the sound of the bush, birds and other. It is a lovely and quiet camp. It is now one of my favourites.

We had the basic tents, One room, 2 beds, cupboard and fridge. On the terrace 2 chairs and a table. Braai close by, wiith own light. Toilette is the bush behind. No, i am joking. A few meters away communal kitchen, shower and toilette. Like usual all very clean.

I explore the camp, it looks really big. I saw a few neighbours, some of then living in the trees, vervet monkeys.

Image Image

Image Image

A few minutes after 16:00 we leave the camp for a drive. First we took a look at the orpen cam

Image Image

We try the S106 / Rabelais Loop. Normal game. A highlight the Rabelais Hut, a museum in the bush. Thats all.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Image

All? Not really. I know, you are asking for the bum, so here we go. I spot in the distance on the road 2 grey, moving shades. Young ellies? NO, 2 rhinos. We can go very close to them, they didn´t escape in the bush. And if they want, they are really fast.

View My Video
:hmz: It seems, that the video doesn´t work, sorry :hmz:

Image Image

I took a look on the clock and than on the map, hmm it is really time to go to camp. But backwards it is to long, and in front of us the loving couple blocks the road. What could we do? Than, after i think 3 km, they move on the side, quickly passing them, and a few pics for good bye.

Image Image

Typical sunset routine, shower, braii with perfect steak, a drink and some work on my notebook. At 23:00 to bed. A good day.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Saturday, 20.10.2007 – Springbok Day

Early Morning in Tamboti. View My Video

We leave the camp at 05:25. The gate was open. Later i thought, the gate could be open all night. Did anybody now it? We had planned to drive S36 and S126 / Sweni Way to Satara.

On the H7 we saw a bok. It could be a suni, but we are not sure. To fast for a photo. A few meters on, on the side of the road a lone hyena. Again we think a young guard. She lies, and lies, and lies.

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Also on the way boks, antilops and many birds. Specially the cape francolins and doves. I often thought, i drove over them, because the fly very near to the front of the car.

Image Image

At the start of the S36 we came to a herd of +- 200 buffaloes. Very impressive.

Image Image

Image Image

On the right side, i think in a distance of 50 meters 2 rhinos. We believe, it could be the 2 from yesterday.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On the S126, a scenic road, a few spoors from cats, vultures and a shy rhino in a bush. Also cute dwarf mongoose.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Then flies a dung beetle in the car. Where is he? As i look a few minutes later threw my cam, i wonder, because no good view. I took my fingers on the lense. Oops! There is the beetle J

Image Image

Image Image

Breakfast at Satara. Normal. Normal? What is normal to wait at a fast food restaurant for a burger and fries more than 30 minutes! And there were only a few customers. What will they do on school holidays? Did you have to order in the morning, to get your snack in the evening? °!”§$%&

But the taste was ok. And the birds entertained us very well.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We drove to Nsemani Dam. Many cars here. Why? Hmm? Zebras and hippos. Very active hippos, the eating croc seems to make the other animals very nervous. And the fisheagle wait for an easy prey.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

We go on on the H7. The first kruger ostrich, baboons, kudu, waterbuck and so on.

Image Image

View My Video

We drive till Orpen. The car needs fuel, me to, a few castle.

Why Springbok Day in Kruger? Because the springbok is the symbol of the south african national rugby team. And today is the day of all days. Final game of the world championship. RSA vs. England. It seemed to be a holy mission. :pray:

Also in KNP all people wear springbok clothes. Tanja wears also her cap. We await this evening empty roads, not only in the parks, everywhere in the country.

Go Bokkes Go. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a little nap we leave again the camp. We stay on the H7. Could someone help with ID?

2 Ellies and a lioness at the junction to the S36 are the best for this afternoon.

Image Image

Tanja sees for a moment a jackal. In the distance again a hyena and also the normal game.

At 18:13 the fire works in the braai again. Today boerewors. Tomorrow we leave for Skukuza, the biggest and main camp of KNP.

And had some special non - action! :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next