Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 5
 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you Giraffe, Annalie, P@m, Billyf, Anne-Marie and Pumbaa for your comments.

And on

And a big owl.

Thats all, we turn and go back. Near to the waterhole no lions. But nearby they are sleeping. A pride of six. We wait for 50 minutes, but nothing happened.

Image Image

Image Image

Now we must go back to the camp.

I call my sun and i start the braai. I took a wonderful shower and than diner. Work is done. BTW, when i braai 2 bats flying around my head. I LOVE IT!

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sorry for the late continue of the TR. The weather is to fine. 8)

Friday, 12.10.2007 – The Day Of 3 Presidents Or The Day Of The Cats?

We awake a few minutes after 5. We took our time for the morning things. A few minutes to 6 we drove to the gate. We must pass the camping ground. And here is a lot of action, like in the hell. It looks like an army camp. Boarderpolice, foreignpolice, state departement, tourismoffice, fire departement and so on. Thats only the cars with signs on. Also 5 busses and many people with suit or uniform.

We hurry up to leave this busy place. Luckily they drove at the junction to MM. We stay right on the nossob road. Did we see the lions from yesterday? Or the leopards from the 8th? But the day starts with a beautiful sunrise.

And than at the same spot as on the 8th the leopards! It looked, if they would train fights. Beautiful sighting.

Image Image

Now the spotted cats move on. To the waterhole? No, they are on a hunt.

A male sprinkbok appears on the scene. The springbok doesn´t realise the danger. One of the cats, i think the teenager tries to come closer, but the bokkie realise now, that the cat attack and could escape.

Lucky bokkie! After 50 minutes we decide to drive on.
On the left side a huge herd of red hartebeest, awake from us.

Image Image

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have to thank you all for the nice comments.

Anne-Marie, i am sorry with the small pics of the cats, but i am not able in the moment to post bigger ones.

And going on:

At Leeudril waterhole 3 lioness necking and fighting!

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
´
A few meters away are the rest of the pride. They looked like they had a big meal in their big stomachs.

Image Image

Image Image

Than we explore the reason of the big bellies. Behind a bush on the embankment lies the carcass of a wildebeest. I think a younger one.

Image Image

Image Image

After an hour my stomach decide to go back to the camp. I also need a loo.

Bushbreakfast. We wash a few clothes and i write on my report.

Image Image

Now it is time for a nap.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

p@m wrote:
Great lion shots :clap:
Are those fire-engines parked in camp ? :shock:

oh yes. It´s TR on the right side when you drove to reception.

Post subject: Re: Southafrica 2007 – The Adventure Began Again
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In the afternoon we will drive the last time in KTP and in the evening we try the restaurant. We made a reservation, this is here necessary.
At 15:10 we start again. First i take in the camp a few shots of the squirrels. Every time a funny view on them.

Image Image

Than we leave the camp to the lions. On the way bateleur, wildebeest and an eagle on a carcass.

Image Image

And the lions wait for us. Unlucky they are more in the distance to the dune.
This is a little bit boring, so we drive on. Highlights now a feather from an ostrich,

an aeroplane and a carcass of a jackal in a tree.

We think, it came to close to an leopard. Birds,

african wildcat on a dune,

mongoose

and an african wildcat close to the road. Are we tired? But cute!

Image Image

At the way back, again luck at Leeudril. A lioness came to drink. She seemed to be hurt at the back.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

The other cats are quiet. Also when a herd of wildebeest pass them.

Image Image

Time runs, so we leave the spot. We met Allister with the sunset drive. We gave him a few commend on the lions. I think, he didn´t need this help, but he thanked and gave us the sign to head to the camp just in time.
Not really necessary. We have the time to took a few pics from the sunset and reach the camp in time without speeding.

We took a shower and went to the restaurant. I try a castle. To my surprise very good against my thirsty ;-) No ostrich or kudu available L . I start with a peasoup, very common. Than springbok venison pie. Very good and tasty.
Tanja is a coward. She tries the chicken cordon bleu. How boring. And this is the taste of it. But at all, service, price and quality are very well. We are satisfied.

But one question, why they didn´t have a few tables outside the restaurant? It would be so nice to see the stars and smell the bush. And you could smoke a cigarette after diner, and i would drink a few drinks more and they could earn more money.

Than a call to my sun. Against the dust of the Kalahari i drink a JD and than into bed.

And the direction tomorrow is Kruger!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Saturday, 13.10.2007 – The Long Road

At 6 we stood up. Coffee and the last things in the car. A few pics from the bungalow, than we had to leave <so sad>.

Image Image

The guard at the gate asked us, to take a woman and a child to Andriesvale. Sorry, but 80 km with a stranger and a child. When something doesn´t work. No good idea.

At 06:35 we leave TR. The first 45 km a nightmar. Than 1.060 km without any problems. Interestening the 250km/h road sign, and the guy with the laser gun.

Yes, i was to fast. You know these good, long roads, no traffic? But this police officer was very nice to us. He realise immediately that we are tourists. No fine, only a few words. Thats all. Thanks.

At 19:00 we reach our hotel in Pretoria Hatfield.

Sunday, 14.10.2007 – Monday, 15.10.2007

In Pretoria we look at the wonderful jacaranda and the presindential building (?). Than we drove to Graskop. From there i show Tanja Gods Window, Bourkes Potholes, Berlin Falls and so on. Nice part of our tour. But so many tourists, and all these germans!

Tuesday,16.10.2007 – KNP We Are Coming!

We drove the way to Orpen. Lots of endless villages at the road. But i realise many new buildings and work. More than i saw in 2000.

At 09:10 we arrive in Orpen.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Toddelelfe wrote:

:D

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tuesday,16.10.2007 – KNP We Are Coming!

We drove the way to Orpen. Lots of endless villages at the road. But i realise many new buildings and work. More than i saw in 2000.

A quick check in. The staff in the office is very professionell, fast und very friendly. They are an award winner for good service. Thanks to this staff. They seemed to like their job.

After a few minutes we are on the road. Argh, damned. Brake and back to the camp. Tanja looked to me with a big ? over her head. In camp i jump out of the car, going to the back of the car. Opening the back door and grabbing the binocs! Now we could start!

H7 to Satara. First animal? No, not an Impie, a bird. But first mammal of course an Impie.

Image Image

On the way steenbok, zebra, waterbuck, njala, turtles, hippos, giraffes and a few meters before Satara Daggaboys.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Lunch at Satara. Again we had the feeling, that fast food took more time than regular food.

Image Image

Equal. 2 cheeseburger (big) with french fries, tasting normal. Than we leave the spot. We have to go today to Letaba.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks wanderw, kids@camping and the rest for your nice comments.

I try the S100. You know the discussions about this road. I say a nice road, but not many sightings. Warthogs, waterbucks,

vervets, impala,

Image Image

turtle, Image

baboons,

Image Image

zebra, a nice tree Image

and a beautiful water hole.

Than we took the S41. Gudzani Dam didn´t look impressive. Not enough water. Close to the road kudu and hippo at the low water bridge.

Image Image

Image Image

Were the S41 meet the S90 (Old Main Road) waterbuck and baboon.

Image Image

Image Image

A few meters before Balule lions! Cool! What they are doing? Right, nothing.

Image Image

Like ever!

In the back many vultures on a dead tree.

Image Image
I know, these are no vultures ;-)

Image Image

S91 to H1-4, H1-5, ground hornbill, with a kill

and the first elephant. In a short distance to Letaba again 2 elephants.

At 17:40 we check in. We get hut no. 34. View on the river, close to the restaurant. I tink a good location. Basic round hut, 3 beds, basin and an old “freezer”. Little terrace and brai. We are satisfied. Close by the communal shower and wc.

When i start braiing, a bushbuck greets us. I braaii lambchops, vegetables and potatoes.

I feel home. This is my favourite camps.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:29 pm 

Hi Toddelelfe

Great Report!! :thumbs_up:

Anne-marie

The slender birds are Redbreasted Swallows, we saw some near Balule Bridge last year!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wednesday, 17.10.2007 – Mud Boys

At 04:00 i could not sleep any more. I stood up and went on the terrace. I sit there alone in the dark. Alone? I see a movement in the darkness. And eyes are starring on me.

Ah, the bushboks in front of the terrace. I greet now the morning. At 05:00 i have to make a wake up call to germany to my sun. :o)

At 05:30 we are at the gate. First row. We took the H1-5 to the Matambeni Hide and to the Longwe Lookout. Many birds, including woodpecker, ellies, treesquirrel and baboons close to the road. Many baboons.

Image Image

Image Image

Hippos at the hide and more birds.

Image Image

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Oh ! the woodpecker (bearded ?) :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:45 pm 

Yes, Bearded it is,

nice easy one!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Image

On the way back again the baboons. A funny group.

Image Image

Image Image

Video of the baboons:
View My Video

View My Video

In the bushes vervet monkeys. Than giraffes and a short time before we reach Longwe Lookout a klipspringer.

Image Image

On the way back at Engelhardt Dam crocodiles and others.

Image Image

Now it´s time for breakfast. But we must be patient. 2 ellies taking a mud shower. Thats more important than a breakfast. Very close to the road and very impressive.

Image Image

It´s a wonderful show to see these giant animals having a bath.

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi billyf, MM, annalie, lorrainepring and all the others,

thanks for your warm words.

Now to be continue:

At 09:45 reach we the camp. I am HUNGRY! Time for a break. The typical guests at the table. But no chance, we didn´t feed them.

Image Image

Our hut. For me a lovely place for a few days.

View from our hut over the river and to the restaurant.

Image Image

One nice thing was to sit on the desk in these big wooden chairs, drink a cold juice, read a book and hear around. One noon, i realized a group of young germans. I think 18 +-, they are talking about a social projekt they were working. But most of the time they talking about ringtones, music, friends and so on. Normal.

But then they realised the magic of this place. For a few seconds they were very quite. Than they were thankful, that they have the chance to be here. One of the guys take place at my side. Than a surprise, he asked in german for a light. I thought, looked i so typical german? He saw the ? over my head, laughed and said, i saw that you read a geman book.

I take a walk around the camp and a jump in the wonderful pool.

Image Image

Image Image

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next