Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 5
 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

And up. We took again the road to MM. And on the first meters on the MM road i spotted a leopard on the dune. But he disappeared to fast behind the dune. °!"§$%&. And on again. Jackals playing, an owl, springboks and other game joined our way.

Image Image

Image Image

Near Mata Mata came a lion directly to us. The lioness a few meters behind.WOW! Allister took a management road, so the lions must pass us very close. Uh, they a very close and their look is impresive. Ostrichs and springboks disappear.
Image Image

Image Image

We turn around, took the way back to the next waterhole and really, here they come again. And the cameras are clicking. MACHINE GUN MODE. :-)

Image Image

After they pass, Allister turned again. Hey on, we are on a mission and we drive an official car ;-) Allister makes a wonderful job. But all other cars, that now joins us, has a good look on the scene. We are not in Kruger!

Image Image

Now we are at Dertiende Boorgat. The lions stopped to drink. What a giant male lion. we are so close, we could hear him drinking. Fantastic! They drink for a while and then they disappeare over the dune.

Image Image

Image Image

To give you an idea, how close the lions were!

I think we all were really thrilled. Tanja and i are really happy with this sighting. For this event, it was okay to drive threw the frosty morning.

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a few days of holidays at the Baltic Seaa i am back to continuing the report:

We took the last km to MM, spotting vultures and a lioness on a dune. Then a rarity for Kalahari. Kudu! Normal for Addo and Kruger, but here a special sighting. Allister found then a bottle in a bush. On the lock are signs from hyena teeth.

Image Image

Luckily we arrived for the necessary break in MM. First way to the loo. To my surprise, all huts at MM has new colours. I remember MM from my visit in 2001. Allister told us, they worked really hard on it, to prepare the camp for the border post opening at friday.

Image i´m in real africa style ;-)

Image Image

You know how long they had planned on this, and now they are a little bit in panic and stressed. And not one president will come to the opening. All 3 from Namibia, South Africa and Botswana will com!

:shock: And we will stay here for 3 nights, starting tomorrow. This could be interestening ;-)

Now back on the road. African wildcat close to the road.

And a snake on the road.

Brake, reverse. To have a closer look. And then Murphys Law. The snake went under the bus and came not out. Oh no! Later, Madach told us, that he had a few seconds before a chat to Allister, about a forumite, who had also a snake hiding under / in the car. So we thought, our snake is now in the engine. What to do? Allister jumped carefully from the truck and took a look under the bus. No sighting of these !"§$%& snake. An upcoming offroader stopped, 4 typical (for me) south africans jumped out and asked to help. We also climbed from the bus. Big pow wow. We unlock the cabin to have a look in the engine. And right, here is the snake.

After a few moments the snake decided to leave this place. Some of us take the chance to shot some close ups of the boomslang.

We are happy with this gtood ending of this adventure. On the way home giraffes, eland and more general game. I fell in sleep, it was a hard ride. Because Allister didn´t brake, i think i didn´t miss any special sighting. What a day!

Our last braai, we all had so much to share, what a great experience.

A special thank you to Geoerge and Allister. And we are so sad, that such a well behaved and nice guy like Allister leave SANParks. He goes to the cape. And of course, we understand hiw hard it is to live in KTP for young guy. Allister i wish you a pleasant new job and lots of luck on your way.

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Again thanks for your warm words.

Interested in a video? Penguin at Boulders!

Penguin

Argh, it doesn´t work in the right way. Could somebody help?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Monday, 08.10.2007 - What A Quietness!

This night i slept not very well. Perhabs it was to cold and windy. I awake before 5 and at 6 we all stood up. At 6:15 we say goodbye. It is sad that this event now ends. I hope i see them all again.

We took again the dune road to the nossob road. we like to stock up with food in TR, before we go to MM. Again, the road is quiet but scenic. A few eland, gemsbok, jackals, bateleurs and other birds. The usual sightings. Lonesom and beautiful.

Image Image

Image Image

We came to the Nossob road. Here also quiteness. Springbok, eagles and ostrich.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Then came a car from the TR direction. A nice woman asked for our sightings. Then she told about her sighting of 2 leopards, 7 km away in the rocks.. Now we saw very quick thank you and headed on.

I know these rocks, they are the same, where i saw in 2001 a spotted cat and my companies laughed about me.They said: You see, what you wish to see. Back in Germany, when i got my paperprints, they were very quiet ;-) And now? We scan the rocks with our binoculars. Hmmm? And yes, there lies a cat under a rock. It´s in the distance, but clearly as leopard to identify. And a few minutes later, the second cat, a younger one, i think a teenager.

Image Image

Image Image

Again, thank you lady, the distance was absolutely correct and perfect described.

For the next 15 minutes we are the only car on the scene. When we leave, there were 7. A huge traffic jam for Kalahari :o) Now we know, the 2 cats are regular scene here, also from other forumites. Now we must leave, i need a loo!

Hurry up, luckily only a few small sightings. Then the camp, the last few k´s were hard. All that shaking when you need the loo :o))) Okay, all ends good. Second thing a SMS to my Su. 2 days without cellphone reception could be a long time, if you are fresh in love ;-) . And a fast response. Good! Not so good, Hertha BSC only play 0.0, my own team BFC Germania 1888 Seniors 2:3.

Third thing, we enter the shop. Boerewors, steaks and so on. Fuel and back on the road to MM. At the gate 2 flirting mongoose and a lovely bird.

Image Image

Image Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

117 km to MM. At the junction to MM vultures on an eland or wildebeest carcass.
At the Auob riverbed eland with a very young calf. Dead and life in such a short distance. On the drive mongoose, heron, other birds and general game. Not spectacular? Surely spectacular for us.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

And about 30 km before MM a sleepy lion.

Image Image

Also a hurt springbok.

Image Image

At 14:50 we arrive in MM. We got the motorhome no.6. One sleeping room, kitchen with open living room incl. one bed, shower with toilet. No key needed in MM. It remembered me of my grandmoms holiday flat and the trailer in the movie 8 Miles (Kim Basinger, Eminem). Well equipped, clean and functional.

We decide, that we had driven enough this day. I explore the camp, bird hide, waterhole.

Image Image

Image Image

In the evening braai. I love braaing.

Image Image

Cheese-boerewors, sandwich, baked potatoes and red pepper. Delicious. And i handle it every day better, to turn the boerewors. My beer also tasted wonderful and Tanja enjoyed a cabernet sauvignon in such a hurry :o)))))))))))))))))

In bed, i take an extra blanket. It will be cold that night. But i slept very well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
wanderw wrote:
You were very lucky to see such a young Red Hartebeest calf!

thanks wanderw :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tuesday, 09.10.2007 - Helping Hands

We awake at 6:20, a little bit late ;-) No problem, cat wash and 7:00 on the road.

Image Image

Upps! After a few meters crosses a springbok in full speed the road. And in front of the springbok runs something different. Not really good to see. Looks like a spotted cat. Hmm? Springbok hunting a cat? Then follws the reason. A hyena. Super and the road makes a turn in the direction to the way of the hyena. Good photos, very close. Unlucky the hyena doesn´t stop to post for us.

Image Image

Then a few pictures from a bird.

We follow the road in southern direction. The only way when you came from MM. The other direction is the way to pass the border to Namibia. And then it happened. On a little hill, where the road crosses the end of a dune, i stopped. Because i want to look at a nice herd of springboks. Great view. But a fault, great fault. When i want to drive on, i realize, no chance. Under the wheels only lose sand. The wheels are turning, but no grip. !"§$%&

Before the car is completely stuck in the sand, i switch of the engine. Tanja asked: And now? We must be patient and wait for the next car. Luckily a few minutes later arrived a car with to ladies. Unlucky they stop directly beside us. You know what happened? Yes, they are also get stucked!

Again luck, a few minutes later arrived an offroader the scene. 2 real tough guys leave the car, climbed the dune up to us and investigate the situation. What could we do? Towing? No, we do it like real man do :o)) We are going to the back of the ladies car. One lady at the steering wheel. We lift the back, she drove away. It worked very well. Then our car. The same procedure and we could leave the sand.

Special thanks to the ladies, and of course a very special thanks to the tough guys.

At the next waterhole we relax from this adventure by viewing a group of gemsbok. In the first minutes they are very nervous, but then they calm down a little and relax more and more. One of them has a deformed horn.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A few spoors of cats, but no cats. Around 10:00 we turn back. Cereals are nice, but we need something better against our empty stomachs.

On the way back a very special highlight for us. Bat eared fox in the full daylight. 3 of these creatures, we only seen them before in the dark. WOW! Good visible and we had the chance for some really nice shots. After a few minutes they decide to leave the spot.

Round about 11:30 we reach MM. Time for breakfast :-) We made us a delicious breakfast / lunch and after that we had a break.

At 15:50 we hit again the road. This is not a spectacular ride. Steenbok on a dune, wildebeest very close, jackal drinking, giraffes on the side of the road and again a lovely sundown. Thats all for the day folks.

Image Image

We´re back at the camp a few minutes before 19:00. We first start the braai, because it tooks his time to braai. After dinner i go to the fence, to look at the waterhole. Nothing there, and i feel cold. Back and a quick jump in bed and a little bit reading.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wednesday, 10.10.2007 - About Cats, These Ones And Others

05:25, the clock gave us an alarm call. But in no time we are up.Some drops of water, a cup of coffee, ready to go. Hmm? Its only 05:45, and gate opened not before 6:00. We wait these few minutes and drive on.

Image Image

Image Image

Not much activities. But then! Giraffes at the road. Wonderful group.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

At Craig Lockhardt Waterhole a wonderful eagle. But nothing else. Then i realise a movement in front of us in the bushes. Hurry up (in speed limit) and yes, a lioness. She climbed on the dune, the same dune where we spotted a few days before the lioness. And only one car behind us. And they are also very happy with this sighting.

Image Image

The lioness disappeared behind the dune. We drove on. Next corner, what will we see? Right! Him! The male lion from sunday. And he came directly in our direction. We drove a little bit back, to give the other car a sign. Then arrives the king. Uhuhuh! By writing these words i became again a gänsehaut / goose-pimples when i remenber how he looked to me.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

And it is really an other point of view from a small Avanza than from the SANParks bus. Amazing! The king went also up on the dune and gone. The pair in the other car is also very impressed and smiled. If they had no ears, they will make a 360 degress smile!

Image Image

Image Image

And i smile again, when i remember this scene, a great moment, to share these wonderful experiences with others. We chat a few seconds with them, a second lioness arrived on the scene. What a morning!

Image Image

Image Image

The whole time stand a third car a few curves behind us. Now we took the chance to go back to look whats there. Hm? ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

To make the water flow in your mouth, i like to tell you, that this day was one of the best days ever in SANParks. And realise, it is now before high noon.

The whole time stand a third car a few curves behind us. Now we took the chance to go back to look whats there. Hm? ...

A few jackals, in the car a man with a big lens on his camera. A bird watcher? Oh no. One jackal is an african wildcat. The cat jumped in this moment in the tree.

After that, we drove to the Vertieende Boorgat Waterhole. We see from the ditance 4 cars. There must be something. And right! Unbelievable 9, NINE, lions in the sun. One male, 2 female and 6 cubs. We are so excited. Sensationell!!!!!

Image Image

After that, we drove on in southern direction. Not much activity. It start to get warmer and warmer. Only ;-) an wildcat at the road.

At the picnic spot a short break for the toilet and then back. We watch playing steenboks, a fantastic eagle and at the Vertieende Boorgat Waterhole no lions. They seem to be somewhere in the shade.

Image Image

The african wildcat waited for us in the tree.

A big herd of springboks crosses the street and we met again the 2 kudu.

Image Image

Then a car on the side of the road. Hm? Nothing special to see for us. We scan the surrounding. Nothing. That must be a birder. Equal, we want home, i need my breakfast. We drove slowly on. The driver of the other car smiled to us and showed us then a
…?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The driver of the other car smiled to us and showed us then a
…?

Yellow / orange stick. A stick? No, a wonderful cape cobra. Because we are on the deeper road and the cobra on the high sand, we had a wonderful view.

Image Image

It is a beauty, but dangerous. Thanks to “Mr. Birder”. They leave the spot, so we have the snake for ourselves. Phantastic.

A few minutes to 12 we reach MM. Now it is really time for a bush – brunch. Russian sausages, ham, cheese, baked beans, toast and orange juice. Jummy!

We take than a rest.

Later I wrote my reports and 20 minutes after 16:00 we start again. Pit stop at the shop for water and straight ahead to the lions, directly to Veertiende Boorgat.

Image Image

And right, the parking place shows us, they wait for us. But the cats do what cats do best. Resting.

Than appears wildebeest, but only one lioness stood up. Stalking mode! Could this be the beginning of a hunt? The wildies are very thirsty, when they go so close to the lions. And the wildies are very nervous and disappear very soon.

Image Image

Then came the boss, probably the brother of our morning lion. And now began a few action. Girls and kiddies stood up and came to the waterhole for a big drink. COOL! It is so nice to view the cubs. One of my dreams came true. I never before saw cubs so close. Great Moment.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

But time runs away, and after one hour we must leave for the gate. Ok, one extra minute, and another extra minute and so on. You know this?

Image Image

Image Image

Look, the cubs are also tired, it is time.

It is not many time to the camp. Tanja hopes, that we not meet the giraffes on the road and I think about my second leopard in KNP 5 minutes before gates close. But I hope of a good sun down for a photo. But no good sundown L

GEPARD! CHEETAH! On the road, just in front of us. What a luck, 8 km before MM. And some nice shots, and this when had disappeared behind the dunes a few minutes before. What end of a fantastic day.

Image Image

Image Image

End! Not at all. In MM I start the braai. And than a spider in the bathroom. Iiiiiiiiiih. I have to rescue Tanja and the spider. I caught the spider in a glass and took him to the fence, where I let him go.

All? No, something very special comes up. The wood began to burn, when a ranger and a local came to us. The local wears something in a kitchen towel. Hm? Whats this

“Are you Mr. Conradi?”

“No, my name is Conradt, what happened?”

“Mr. Conradi ordered a bread by this local. And he couldn´t find him” I realised, that the local doesn´t understand English and the translated to him. And the camp so small, not to find a tourist seems to be a little bit unusual.

“Again, I am not Conradi, but if you did not find Mr. Conradi I would like to buy the bread.” I remembered in this moment a story about bread in MM:

“Really? You would give the local great joy, because they are very poor and it is the only way for them to earn a little extra cash.”

No, problem. He wants 15 rand, but for me this was to cheap and I gave him 20 rand.

And this was the best south african bread I ever ate. It was absolutely delicious, fresh for 3 days. Perhaps longer, but it was in our stomachs after 3 days. ;-))))

If you ever have the chance, try this bread! I believe Mr. Conradi stayed in KTC, the bread was not ready in time, so Mr. Conradi had to leave MM. Unlucky for him, lucky for us. Next day I saw at TR reception a booking or so with the name Conradi!

BTW, dear mods, i think, this post could be to big. Please contact me, if i had to delete something.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your comments!

As a little appetizer:

Thursday, 11.10.2007 – Traffic from the opposite direction

Up at 6:30. Very fast we clean our teeth and pack the car. A cup of coffee, and the we have to leave MM to TR. Again i am the postman and have to carry a mail from reception to reception. No problem. At 6 we leave this magical place.

At 6:12 we met her again. Yes, the cheetah. And she is a real beauty. At this time, it seemed, she is on a mission. She goes in stalking mode. We think, she needs a breakfast. She leaves the place and after e few minutes, we couldn´t see her anymore.

Image Image

I am sorry, i must prepare myself for a concert of the best band of the world!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Image Image

Image Image

So we drive on. Than an eagle in the dune. It looked like he had a prey in the claws. But when i study the pics, it looked like the eagle is caught by a paper bag. Very strange.

Near to the road the typical fellows. Wildebeest, ostrich, giraffes, springboks, jackals, birds and squirrels.

Than we took our breakfast at the picnic spot. But first, we have to chase 2 ostriches. Than we have our breakfast with the perfect bread, juice and hawking birds. Posing reptiles and boks in the dune.

Image Image

Image Image

At the sky a helicopter and we go on.

Many cars driving to MM. It looked like the first officials go to the new boarder. Many guys with white shirts and ties. The caravane is on the way.
Near to the road a carcass. And 2 vultures close by. Normally nothing uncommon. But here, it looked strange. Are they trying to mate?

Image Image

And on again. Break for a loo at Auchterlorie Museum. Here lived 100 years ago a few white settlers. Unbelievable. When they went to Upington, it took them 14 days with the ox-wagon!

Image Image

To be continued...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The numbers of carcasses counts up. It must be the dry season.. Also a few wonderful birds and squirrels joined our way.

And it would be hot and hotter. Now we are more than 5 hours on the road and Tanja and i have no more fun in the car. But we reach the short dune road, just 15 km to TR. And nothing happens in the dune! Nothing? Mistake. Eagle eye Tanja spot under a bush a wonderful lion.

Well done. At the waterhole at the junction 2 Eland.

Image Image

At 12:00 we reach TR. We check fast in and went to the shop to stock up with some goodies. We had a beautiful chalet and make a rest.
At 16:00 we go out again. At the waterhole again eland. For elands they are really relaxed. And we go on on the nossob road. In a bush lions, but not good visible. We drove on, and hope to see more on the return.
On the way a SANParks bakkie with a cameraman on the back.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next