SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:32 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
why can’t these bloody lions do what we ask them to)

Don't know how many times I have uttered the same thing!!!! :roll:
Fabulous sighting , Salva. :clap: .....I just can't wait for those other 'Oh wow" sightings. Please don't keep us waiting too long....we leave on Wednesday!!!!! :dance:

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

(will try to do my best, Michele...I won't be able to finish it but here is at least one more chapter for you...hope you enjoy :wink: )

After leaving the lions at Melkvlei we took it very easy and had a slow drive to Dikbaardskolk, enjoying the greener than normal Nossob.

At one of the waterholes (can’t remember which one) we had a large group of oryx. There was a lot of action and running around going on and two of them were having an intense fight.

One of the striking things, well actually thé striking thing of the drive between Kij Kij and Dikbaardskolk was the sheer number of Gemsbok. We saw thousands upon thousands…they were just everywhere. Quite wonderful!

Another nice sighting was a family of ostrich with some sub-adults. Till now we saw little ones and grown-ups but ostrich of this size was a first-timer to us.

When having lunch at Dikbaardskolk some folks warned us that gaming in the Nossob area was going to be very difficult and that there was one thing we would see in abundance…high grass. Unfortunately this proved to be true. We already noticed the highth of the grass in the Nossob valley but it only got worse from here to Nossob. Between the waterholes there was close to nothing to see and we were in a Nissan X-trail let alone people in a normal sedan. This drive was preparing us of what gamedriving in the Nossob area was going to be in the next couple of days…driving from waterhole to waterhole and sit there with a couple of cars to wait for whatever to show up.

Arriving at Nossob felt like coming home. Don’t know what it is about this camp but I (as well as my SO) absolutely love it. Staff at reception was super friendly and the question to provide us with freshly baked bread was welcomed with broad smiles (as if they wanted to say: we make the best bread in SA and you are lucky someone let you in on the secret). A first look in our hut learned 2 things.

1. the fridge was broken…not great news when you have food for 5 more days to come. I went to reception (wasn’t mad or anything: this is Nossob in the middle of the bush, not the Sheraton in Singapore). They apologised…apparently the people who were there before us hadn’t noticed it or at least hadn’t mentioned it. However they saw that people from 2 units further had cancelled for the night so they gave me the key for that unit as well and allowed me to store my food there until things were taken care of. When we came back from or evening drive, someone was waiting for us with bread and the message that our fridge was indeed broken but they weren’t able to fix it this evening, they would do it first thing in the morning. Indeed, next morning as we left the maintenance guys arrived. When we came back the fridge worked again but very weak. Back to reception. They were a bit surprised but promised they would have another look at it. Two hours later (around noon) we were provided with another fridge, an older one but it worked. Only than we were asked to take our food out of the other fridge. It seemed that they had already emptied another fridge somewhere in the camp in case they hadn’t found a solution before the people of the other unit arrived. All this happened with nothing else than smiles and friendly behaviour.
So even though we were in a place where it is far from evident to fix these kind of problems the staff did just about everything they could to help and finally they did, always being extremely friendly and flexible.

2. a bit less important but bad new for my sore neck…no extra pillow. Normally seen I just put a fleece or whatever under it, but here someone from the staff just gave me one of hers. “Can’t find another one for the moment but you can have my extra one…just make sure you give it back in two days when you leave.”

This lady was the same one that coordinated the “fridge works” (at least that is how we felt it). Her name is JULIANA DE VRIES and she is a real gem and asset for SANP if you ask us. I will also post this in the topic created for this and hope the message gets through all the way to Nossob.

OK back to the essence…what did we see on our evening drive. Well, things were extremely quiet. We drove the Marie se Draai loop and at Marie se Gat all cars were sitting and waiting…for nothing to come. Finally a wildebeest in great evening light appeared on the scene.

And than…a magical moment. No, not cats, not hyenas, not a rare species but … secretary birds. We already had seen masses of them the last couple of days but now two of them decided to fly up a tree. The first one landed in a tree a few metres away from us…here he (or she?) is.

The other one landed in the tree under which we were parked. He (or she) looked right into our eyes through our open roof and lying on my back, not an easy position, I managed to take these pics.

Light was perfect and look at those eyes…

When these guys are so close and look right into your eyes you can’t help but being in full admiration for them. A wonderful moment.

A great chicken curry with a fresh chenin blanc concluded this special day.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Thanks Salva :D
Great pictures... and also great to open :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Just beautiful Salva! Thanx! :clap: :clap: :D

F2/2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I can repeat what Wanda said.
Just beautiful!!Thank you for sharing!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh those Secratery Eyes :clap: :clap: Lovely report thank you :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:41 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Salva, great writing and pics again thank you :clap:

I am so glad that you got the fridge and the pillows sorted out too. Well done Staff at Nossob :clap:

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Agree with you 1000% about the Nossob staff, both Juliana and Noleen (I think that's her name) couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, altho fortunately I didn't have such dire concerns as you did. And there's nothing like warm Nossob roosterkoek at the end of a long KTP day! Yum!!! :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Arks, Jazzie, Dotty, Ingrid60, Wanderw and anne-marie..thx a lot for the nice words. Really appreciate it.

17/04: day 4

Today was going to be an easy day with some drives from Nossob north and south, a dip in the pool, a braai, some wine,…

It started in a grand way: that is to say…like most days in Nossob. Having a coffee on a Nossob stoep with the sun saying goodmorning to the Kalahari right in front of you is…well…there are no words for it.

We drove north with great expectations. Kwang, Bedinkt, I had red so much about it in all the reports in this place. However today proved to be one of those days. Bedinkt was broken although we saw a lot of lion tracks there and Kwang was really calm. Not that we didn’t enjoy Kwang, in fact we did. It is one of the nicest places in the park (together with Polentswa) to sit and watch the game come and go. We had Oryx there (1 of them with a weird right horn), some wildebeest, a lone springbok and a curious jackal with a wet head!

After having enjoyed a couple of coffees and some lovely Nossob bread with jam and chocolate paste (are we Belgian or what?) we drove back to camp and saw this lovely BB snake eagle.

After a dip in the pool we intended to do the Marie se draai loop very slowly. The road was euh TERRIBLE! This way driving was so noisy in the car that enjoying the sounds of the bush was impossible. On top of that, apart from two bateleur eagles, the place was as dead as a dodo. So we decided to give Kwang another go. The gemsbok were still there but apart from that nothing special.

Some butterflies in a puddle of mud in the road concluded this slow day.

When filling up after closing time I went to take a look at the sighting board for that day…NOTHING! Not 1 pin! Some people were complaining a bit and the staff was asking just about every one if they had seen something special but no. We met the couple from Richards Bay again, you know, the ones that showed us the lions. They had seen nothing either. Ach well, tomorrow would be the day.

Forgot to unpack the meat to defrost so no braai. Chicken curry leftovers it was. Just as lovely, especially since it was I who prepared it. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanx Salva. You still had some great pictures for us and I believe there are still more to come... Something make me thinks that the drought (game sightings) would come to an end ....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It seems ,Belgium is not only famous for its chocolate,
also for reports and pictures! :P :lol:

Thank you again for sharing!
I like your Snake eagle and beautful Butterfly!
:clap: :clap:
Waiting for more!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 pm 

Beautiful , beautiful pics Salva :clap:
Yes , more please :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Salva
Thoroughly enjoying your report and the beautiful pics :thumbs_up:
I know what it feels like to have those quiet days :( I always think it's only us that have these days!
Your frozen meat story made me smile :D Done that before and it was also in No 5a at Nossob :wall:
Looking forward to more, thank you...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For some reason have missed out this report

Some photographs REALLY HURT the mind

The Kielie Kranke pic of the stoep............sigh, braai and a glass of wine

Your wet Jackal

http://www.pbase.com/mashona/image/92645485

Deja Vu?????

Well done,enjoyed all the photographs and the story

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Thanx Salva! Again beautiful pix! :clap: :clap: BB snake eagle and the butterflies! :thumbs_up:

A slow day - :? We all have them! I think the KTP does it on purpose to make you appreciate where you are and the precious smaller things! :wink:

F2/2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next