Annalie, Cheetah80, Michele, restio, Illie, Toddelelfe, Mashona, lirritma, anne cathérine, Pumbaa, ingrid60, Katy, JenB, Dotty, Billyf, aboon and wanderw: many many thanks for your great comments on my TR and pictures. It was extremely great to write and relive my trip together with you people.
Later than I intended but here they are anyway: MY CONCLUSIONS.
I have been fortunate in a way that I have visited magnificent places and parks like Etosha, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Kruger, Moremi, Chobe,…After this visit, KTP is still standing strong as my second favourite park. This has got nothing to do with the gameviewing, in fact in terms of gameviewing KTP for us personally doesn’t come close to the other parks named here (although it is still good, of course). No it has all to do with…ATMOSPHERE. On this point imho KTP wins from any place I have visited till now hands down. And the strange thing is…it is hard to describe to people who have never been there. The light, the colours, the sand, the camps, the people, the raptors, the “end of the world” feeling in some places, the private sightings,….and many things more. But go and explain that to people who dream of Tuscany, the Provence or Andalucia….When asked what it is that attracts me to this park I usually answer people that they should go and check it out for themselves.
- Nossob: I raved about the staff there and I will continue to do so. Contrary to what some people had warned me for I still found it to be an intimate camp despite its “size”. Brief: I can not imagine a visit to KTP without spending a couple of nights in Nossob.
- The wilderness camps: KK, U and GK! All very different, all very attractive. These Wilderness camps were “first time experiences for us”. I heard many good things about them but they even exceeded our expectations (apart from the gameviewing, all three of them were extremely dull on that part).
- The Kgalagadi princess and the fact that we were alone with her for quite some time
- The batties
- The springbok spectacle
- The cobras in the nest
- THE PEOPLE WE MET!!!!!!!
- The “KK booking” history. I still find it rather unbelievable that SANP did absolutely nothing to solve a problem mentioned to them. And if they did or tried to do they never let me know. Not even a “sorry”. I should send my grandmother to them. She taught me when I was a little boy that "saying sorry" costs nothing.
- Bad roads in some parts of the park although I wouldn’t go as far as some people in complaining about them. To us, the stretch between Dikbaardskolk and Nossob was particularly bad and the Marie se Draai loop was horrible. All the rest, though not in a good condition, was fairly manageable.
- A bit too many boring moments and especially the complete lack of cat sightings in the Auob valley.
- Once more the hyenas, and particularly the brown ones, escaped me: next time I WILL bait them, nevermind SANP with their stupid rules
Last thing, I want to thank every one who wished my SO and father well. You guys did a great job. Both are back home and are doing great! Cheers!