Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mgoddard and fam in KNP 2008
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I’m posting this now, as not sure when I will be online or have time again. We leave tomorrow morning at 5:00am for our flight to S.A.

Can’t believe the time is here. A trip that was planned 8 months ago for my sisters in law and I has turned into a family trip. It’s unbelievable how things worked out. SO was not coming due to work requirements, so I thought it would be a good idea to invite all his sisters with me. Unfortunately not one of them was able to come, :cry: so I decided to modify all accommodation booked and have a solo trip by myself. Then at the beginning of Feb, SO could get a short leave and it would be the two of us going, but we could not be in S.A and not see the girls (have not seen them for 9 months), :( so I checked availability and could get place for the 2 girls with us. They will come from the 9th till 13th April when we drop them off at Hoedspruit airport. Then we decided SO had to see his mother, :roll: (not seen for 1 year) so, I got online again and found accommodation for her at the same camps as us. Now mother in law will be with us, collecting her from Hoedspruit when we drop off the girls, for a week from the 13th to 20th when we drop her off at Nelspruit airport and return to the Park for another 3 days.

To do all these modifications without any problems only 4-6 weeks before the time was amazing!! :D

We have a few days in Pta and have a lot to do…. (a meet in Randburg)…. Try to buy a caravan for my trip next year…all in only 2 days before we leave for the Park.

Depending on internet availability I will once again post daily "live" reports and keep you all updated with my sightings, roads, camps, pics.. etc….

Hold thumbs and hope its going to be a bumper of a ride!! :clap:

Post subject: Thats my mom
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:21 am 

Hello everyone, im new to this...but yes, mgoddard is my mom... i'm super excited about this trip! :lol: was quite disappointed when i was told that i couldn't go with. Glad they changed thier minds. Will be really nice to see the old people again.
:clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks all for your good wishes..I will certainly try and post as often as I can...
ecojunkie we look fwd to meeting you... :D ihaveacrazymom..welcome to the forum... do you want me to cut your allowance NOW..calling us OLD :twisted: ...cant wait to see you girls tomorrow.. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Have a great time! Oh, we are short of some photos of some animals. You are going there, can you take some photos of aardvark, pangolin, Narina Trogon, black-faced impala, black sunbird, striped kingfisher and roan? Thank you!

@ ihaveacrazymom: I agree to the name, but since you called them old... We can change your username.... :wink:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Only 5 hrs till our limo comes to fetch us, but no way I can sleep :)

Dotty, naomi c, icurrie, DuQues (all photos ask for will be posted soon :roll: :wink: ) Munchkin ( Im not much of a writer, but hope someone will catch on and write my diaries :lol: ) Im just a normal person without many words....anne-marie, Jazil, aboon, Sable, Elsa, Freda (hope you still offering to buy some of my supplies next year), Jenb (so nice to have met you online during the cricket weekend), Meandering Mouse (cant wait to meet you on Monday), Spotted Cat and Pumbaa...thanks for all your good wishes and replies and thanks for the welcome of ihaveacrazymom...I asked her to register..unbeknowing to her.,..to post my reports while Im making the fires and braai... :twisted: Hope u all enjoy the report to come :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:46 pm 

Hi all....and Mom.

Yeap in the 'other' daughter of mgoddard. After reading my sisters nickname i couldnt think of anything but I guess bush_baby suits as im the baby of the family (youngest anyway) n love the bush (mom must have rubbed off on me)

Also super excited about the whole trip n cant sleep either. Looking forward to spending time wit the family and hopefully some great sightings!!

Its really great to see so much love and support for kruger and everything else it stands for as I am studying Nature Conservation and its not every day I get to see that. (Most of the time ppl look at me funny wen i tell them wat im studying lol)

Cant wait to see you mom.
P.S. y u call dad SO? :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All
We arrived safely :D its wondeful to see S.A so green, what a difference to winter time (one tends to forget how the seasons/scenery change here in S.A....Thanks for all the warm welcomes for the girls. and wishes for our trip.. :) Its great to see the family, but cant wait for Wednesday to go to the Park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok here is yesterdays report, we at LSabie now and will try load pics and todays report later today.

Its hot and overcast here, hoping to see some more lightning tonight

Our first day started very early with a massive thunder and lightning storm in Pretoria at 1am. Needless to say, this was one of my wishes before coming on this years holiday and I could not go back to sleep after that. We got up at 4:00am, but only left at about 5:30 due to all the grocery shopping I had done, we struggled to fit in all into the car. We drove down in lovely weather, overcast with mist hanging over the mountains almost all the way to Nelspruit. The road between Middelburg and Belfast is a bit of a nightmare with the road works and taking the advice of many on the forum we drove the Schoemanskloof road.

We arrived at Numbi Gate at about 10:30 and I could feel the excitement as I saw the gate. We checked in and in no time were on our way into Kruger. The first animal we saw was a waterbuck. We drove to Pretoriuskop to buy wood etc for the braai at Biyamiti. When I paid for the wood and a few odds and ends, the lady at the counter asked me if I had firelighters! What great service as I did not have and it would have been a disaster arriving at Biyamiti without…We had a quick sandwich takeaway from the restaurant at Pretoriuskop, and I must say it was great!

We drove down Voortrekker road to Afsaal and on the way we saw baboons, monkeys, impala and then 6 white rhino’s, a bataleur high in the air and a lot of forktailed drongo’s and twice Lilac B.Rollers catching something on the road and eating it almost right next to us. We arrived at Afsaal bought some ice and then went to see the Scops Owl..the area is marked with chairs in a circle and a rope around so ppl do not disturb the owl too much. It was my lucky day as he was sitting on a branch right in the open and I could take lots of photo’s. Its almost as if he was posing for me as he was twitching and turning his head and yawning (I think).

After Afsaal we took the S114 towards Biyamiti Weir, 2 giraffes posing and 2 lapwing plovers playing in the water, unfortunately I did not see the crocs today. We left the weir and turned onto the private Biyamiti Road and almost drove into a herd of elephant with a lot of babies in the herd. We waited for them to cross the road, or so we thought, as we drove pass another was still behind a bush and when we got next to him, he thought he would give us a fright and started running towards the car shaking his head (it was quite funny seeing this little elephant trying to catch us, but also scary thinking what the big mommy or daddy would do us for giving their child a fright!.). Further on we saw 2 lonely buffaloes lying in the pools in the river and also a single vulture high up in a tree.

We arrived at Biyamiti at appr. 5:00pm and got cottage no. 3 close to the fence, but quite a way from the birdhide. We had a lovely braai with a wood fire and now we are all going to sleep!!

I tried and tried to connect to the internet, but no luck. We only have limited cell phone reception, so I will try and post this report with some pics tomorrow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks all....here are a few pics from yesterday;....Im now sitting on the deck of the river view tent, listening to the fisheagles calling, there is a herd of elephant in the water, trumpeting...its magic to be back...I will post the report for today a bit later on.....enjoy..(The larger of these photos can be seen if you click on the www button below)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2175/240 ... c4be_t.jpg

This is the little one that thought he could catch us
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/240 ... df40_t.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/240 ... e8d0_t.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3127/240 ... 51ab_t.jpg

The Scops at Afsaal
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/240 ... 156e_t.jpg

A strange hornbill
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/240 ... 7f61_t.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2205/240 ... 2dc4_t.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/240 ... 836a_t.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/240 ... e7ce_t.jpg

And a ground hornbill?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/240 ... ed22_t.jpg

Time now to go for sundowners at Sunset Dam, will think about you all :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie, first time Im trying this tinypic thumbnail thing, click on the www button under my post and you can see all the sizes and pics.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here comes todays report, so nice to have internet connection and reception....The fire is going and the braai is almost ready...enjoy :D

Day 2
Oh No, :redface: we did not leave as the gate opened, but we were there at 6:15 and drove the short way down the Biyamiti Road to link up with the S25. A little less than 3km from camp we saw an elephant up on the hill, while looking at that we spotted some buffalo in the dry river bed, only visible with binocs…we decided to leave the ppl (2 other cars) and carry on….just then I saw a head….it was lion..we stopped and if you know the Biyamiti road you will know its very narrow…we looked at the lion and then the other cars arrived, SO decided he would move a bit onto the side of the road, incase anyone want to pass….We should not have done that, the minute he moved they revved their engines and squeezed in behind us :evil: …that was the last of our clear sighting of the 4 lions. We carried on to Hippo Pools and met Daniel, who immediately recognized the YR…he took us up the hill onto the rocks and showed us some paintings on the rock. He also showed us a “pride of lions” very far off, apparently with a kill…, but we could not see them. From there we went to Croc Bridge for a much needed toilet break, we have always opened our first beer when we see lion, and if we don’t then we open one in the hope of seeing lions. The road from CB was very quiet with a few warthog and impala. We took the road to Dukes waterhole, to be very disappointed that it is completely dry, then proceeded to the hide, lots of hippos, and rhino right next to the road. Also a lot of zebra, blue wildebeest and impala again. We arrived at LSabie just after 1 and quickly offloaded all….then had quite a nice lunch, just a pity about all the bees…The rest of the fam had a snooze while I downloaded pics and enjoyed the scenery and sounds of the bush on the deck….The braai is going and its almost time to eat and sleep…waiting for another wonderful day in the bush tomorrow. :D

We did see European Beeater, Brown Hooded Kingfisher, Pearl Spotted Owl and what I think a Southern White Crowned Shreik?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What a DAY!! I just saw Duke!! :D :D Will write the report and post pics just now, got to get the fire going and sort out supper or SO will have a cadensa :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here are yesterdays pics..taking from Biyamiti to Lower Sabie..

Sunrise just outside the camp:

European Bee Eater
White Crowned Shreik (Might be wrong, anyone know?)

Bushbaby and Daniel at Hippo Pools

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 3
We had to go Skukuza today to fetch the bottle of wine I bought on the silent auction during the cricket weekend. Going on the tar road I thought we will have a lot of traffic especially now during the school holidays. I was quite surprised to see so few cars on the road…we started of with a bush buck next to the road, but it unfortunately ran into the bush when we stopped…Then a lone buffalo behind the reeds, not good enough for a picture. Then we spotted a Giant Eagle Owl,..such a majestic animal..just listening to it hooting was great…we carried on and then saw a Martial Eagle high up in a tree….such a big bird, I wondered how the branches can hold him/her. We stopped at Nkuhlu for a toilet break and I was very disappointed to see the shop almost empty…it looks like they are closing down as almost no stock in the shop…I bought a packet of Cheese Naks and had to throw it away as it was so stale….Would like to know whats going on there… From there on not much else, very quiet…we stopped on the bridge where the road turns towards Tsokwane and I was very disappointed to see a Giant Kingfisher flying pass, not allowing for any photo’s. Not long after he knew how I felt and came to sit right next to us on the railing…It was great to see such a wonderful looking bird looking me right in the eye and needless to say I took a lot of photo’s. We collected the wine, had a quick lunch at Skukuza and then decided to take the Salitjie road back to LSabie as the road this morning was so quiet….On the whole road we had 2 cars passing from the front and nothing from behind…strange to see the road so quiet…Then we saw some elephants, giraffe, kudu, impala and more elephants…it got to a stage where when we saw elephants we just carried on….then Megan (Ihaveacrazymom) said there is a lone elephant…I looked up and almost had a heartatack…I think I said something like “That’s Duke….I cant believe it…That’s Duke….both the girls and SO looked at me funny and said “are you OK, calm down! I took lots of pics and then complaint that I could not see him fully due to the high grass….Then I “got permission” from my family to put my head out the window to see more of him…It was great, I had shivers running down my spine when I knew I had the opportunity to meet him…what a majestic animal…It was almost like he stood there posing for me, turning left, then right, and just carried on eating…Another surprise after that was to see Kori Bustards (first time for me in the South) Unfortunately no cats or dogs today, but still a great day with these sightings.;…

Once again I will post the pics for today tomorrow as it takes such a long time to download and select the photos.

Tomorrow we off to Tamboti and I hope to report more awesome sightings…thanks again for reading my report…

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pictures from yesterday, connectivity very slow here at Tamboti.l..hope I can post my report tonite...if not...you have something to look forward tooo...

And DUKE!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next