Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

…………at last… I am happy to be back sharing some of our trip with you!! Thank you all, for your supportive comments and sorry to have kept you waiting. I do have an excuse though.... a new 4 legged member to our family and she is a tad bit distracting... what have we done...again :doh:

After all the excitement of the morning leopard and cub we enjoyed coffee at Kamqua before venturing a bit further up to Dalkeith. We stopped to watch some springbok and it was not long before we were watching a huge herd coming down the dune. What a beautiful sight!

We watched little red head finches for some time at 13de Boorgat while patiently waiting for six giraffe to come down to the waterhole for drink. Well, if they are not thirsty, which they obviously weren’t they are not going to drink!! We left them behind browsing on the dunes and made our way back to camp. Urikaruus camp waterhole was once again very quiet but we enjoyed a perfect still evening.
This beautiful weather made us think of Wanderw and fam. Before leaving CT I sent an sms to them asking what the night time temperatures were like. Wanda suggested warm jackets… especially for Urikaruus. Here at Urikaruus we spend all evenings dressed in t-shirts and shorts. Just goes to show how the weather can change within a couple of days. 2 days after this at Grootkolk we used our jackets…temps dropped to 1 degree!! Thanks Wanda :thumbs_up: needless to say, we thought of you here as well :D
Fri 18th
No points for guessing which direction we drove first thing this morning. SO says I’m crazy, he suggested we look in the other direction for a different special sighting. He was right, no repeat of the morning before :oops:
I love to spend a couple of hours driving alone and SO loves spending quiet time in Urikaruus camp and this is just what we did that afternoon.
I ended up at Mata Mata, refueled and popped in to reception to arrange an extra nights accommodation in Nossob. We were lucky and after a look on the web, I was quickly and efficiently sorted out with an extra night :clap:
Just past Sitzas , a rare sighting for me. Have seen many 'one' horn gemsbok and ‘bendy’ horn gemsbok but never one with no horns!!

The rest of the drive back to camp was quiet but for me, the peacefulness was awesome.

A bit of an adrenalin rush on my return to Unit No 1. SO was upstairs resting so I spent time on the deck looking far into the distance with the binos. Well, not far at all, in fact, far too close… , while resting my elbows on the wooden railings I glanced down to look for any entertainment from the resident mongoose and saw this puff adder. By the time I reached for my camera from the table behind me, he had moved and I was NOT going to hang over to get a full pic of him.
I was also not going to let SO sleep through all of this, so I called to him, quickly… in a loud soft tone… sure you know what I mean?!!? :wink:
Next person to be signaled for was Marius, our camp attendant. Within a flash he was below our unit trying hard to move the puffie out of the area. Puffie had gone into one of the ground squirrel holes and was not going to reappear. I watched that hole and surrounding holes for just over an hour. SO sat in the car and did a further ‘shift’ while I started preparing for our evening braai. Well, we couldn’t spend the rest of the daylight hours watching the ground only, so we went for a short drive, through 13de boorgat loop and back to camp.
African Wild Cat seen on the loop

Our lovely bat-eared foxes again on the way back to camp.

Views from our cabin

Marius, had told us to hold on to our permits and when we returned from our last drive he would come and hear what we had seen and come and collect it from us.
When he came, it was already quite dark. I realized I had left the permit in the car and seeing I was right at the stairs to the car I said I would get it for him quickly.
He immediately reminded me…” be careful, remember there are snakes out there, I will come with you”. His words were barely spoken, I was about to stand on the last step when I gasped… "there he is". He was right at the front wheel of the car and I was proceeding to open the door to get the permit!! :shock: :shock:
Here I was, each time looking around carefully for obviously larger camp visitors and did not keep my eyes peeled to the ground! :redface: Second adrenalin rush for the day, thank goodness my heart is in good working order!!
What a way to end another beautiful day in KTP!!! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:yaya: At last!!!!!!

Sat 19th April
Each morning, waking up in KTP is a happy one, however the mornings when you have to pack up to leave for another camp is always a little sad. You are never sure when you will return again, however this morning, Marius brought us news that helped overcome that feeling. The TR – Kij Kij road had been opened. Our plans changed, we were in no rush and had the whole day to get to Nossob so decided to take a longer route. SO’s sister and brother in law were leaving that day so we drove with them along the bottom dune road to Kij-Kij and then through to TR first before heading north to Nossob.
We saw bat eared foxes near Kamqua, jackals huddled up in the middle of the riverbed and more Suricates at the Auchterlonie turn off.
The dune road was pretty, saw Gemsbok here and there,
Steenbok, Jackal, Ostriches, Kori Bustards, Yellow Canaries …and not many pics!! :wall:
There were also hundreds of giant millipedes crossing the road. It was really very difficult avoiding them.
Just as we were so hoping for…. Kij Kij showed us lions!! A pride of 12. :dance:
The one young male right on the roads edge.
What a pleasure to be so close and to be able to watch him for some time before he decided to rejoin the pride on the opposite side in the shade.
ImageImage
I can understand why they had closed this road. Certain sections we still needed to drive on bypasses. It was on one of these bypasses that we saw these 2 males…very relaxed!
A bit further along, a honeymoon couple, tired of an audience!
That was 16 lion in one hour. We were very happy that Kij Kij and Rooiputs did not disappoint us :dance:
Jackal enjoying a drink from the road puddles.
A familiar scene along the road…. mud curls
Some more youngsters
A Pygmy Falcon tree. We had many many beautiful sightings of Pygmy Falcons throughout the park :D
Just after Samevloeeing, another snake. This time a cobra and at a very comfortable distance away!!
and a 'flat' mongoose

and now I think I have shown you too many lions so it's time to work on another episode :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After purchasing some refreshments and gifts for son and daughter at home, a quick picnic lunch and sad farewell to SO’s sister and brother in law we hit the Kij Kij road again!!
He was a little less sleepy than a couple of hours before.
Felt so sorry for this Gemsbok. Think he would rather have only one horn than this trendy one!
The pride of 12 were in the same position in the shade of the trees. Just past Melkvlei a Wild Cat ran across the road. Something about the AWC this year, they were determined that we were not going to see anything more of them than them running across the road :(
Then, a sad sight… a Toyota 4 x 4 on a flat bed !
We had noticed that there were far more general game congregating around the waterholes along the Nossob than in the Auob riverbed.
The grasses were also incredibly long, we were most thankful that we were in a high rise vehicle and not a sedan. Even then, it was difficult to see beyond the grasses. I eventually found a good use for the camera bean bag that I made… I sat on it and this made a huge difference. SO thought this a marvelous idea so from then on he sat on a folded pillow. (A tip for anyone going to the park this time of the year after they have had exceptional rains)
This stretch of road was quite bad. I realized this now when trying to read what I had written in my note book. Some of it…undecipherable !!
Beautiful Marie se Draai – can you believe it? I thought it would be hopeless to spot anything here, but I was wrong. Maybe not today, but in the days to come we were treated to some wonderful sightings.
Nossob staff were as friendly and welcoming as ever. They do a good job of multi tasking here, Shirley booked us in and refuelled our vehicle! Noline and Juliana were there to assist the following day. Sad news for Nossob, Juliana has been transferred to Kamqua National Park after been in Nossob for many years. Nossobs loss will certainly be Kamquas gain!!
After supper, filled our travel mugs with Coffee and Amarula and off to the hide :dance: It was beautifully quiet, so different to Sep last year when it was filled with a rowdy unruly disrespectful bunch. The evening was still and a beautiful full moon made it even more special.
Jackal came to drink and also an injured Bat eared fox :cry: Apparently the jackal and him had a fight at the waterhole the night before and the poor fox came off badly. I was tired but this peaceful hide experience, along with the 'special' coffee (and a refill :wink: ) kept me there for a couple of hours. Finally bedtime, the next day we were leaving for 2 nights in Grootkolk :dance: :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Before I get to Grootkolk I need to say THANKS :clap: to everyone for reading my report and for taking the trouble to pass such lovely comments.
I keep you waiting so long...sorry :redface: but your replies boost me along so thanks again to:

Illie - So many pics to choose from so am pleased you like the selected few :D .
anne-marie - Grootkolk, coming up, not as wow as Wanderw sightings, but nevermind, Grootkolk camp remains TOPS!!
Katy - Thank you for your super response - you have endless energy to read, reply and still get on with your own report. :redface: :redface: which I am saving to read..soon I hope :wink:
ingrid60 - I know Grootkolk is also very close to your heart :D, you probably had the sighting of the year there last year :wink: Hope you enjoy the upcoming episode.
Wanderw - We are all so passionate about Grootkolk..so much so that it hurts hey?? :wink:
annalie - Think all us Kgalagadi besotted fans should book out
the whole of Nossob camp for a meet :lol: Would be fun...
and last but not least...leeS :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
who left for KTP at 11am today. Hope he has an awesome trip and EVENTUALLY shares his trip with us all :lol: :hmz:

AND NOW...just a little taster of what's to come from Grootkolk.
Can you see anything through this dirty car window????

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:wink:
Maybe this helps :D, but that is for another episode :D

ImageImage

20-04-2008
In the hide this morning waiting for the sun to rise saw my first Yellow Billed Hornbill of this trip. Was surprised when I heard cars. They opened the gates a bit earlier so a quick exit from the hide, into the car and headed north for Grootkolk. About 5 cars left, all going North. We traveled all the way to Bedinkt before our first sighting of the day. This was probably one of the quietest mornings so far. I think we all experience these days!!
First sighting - An African Mole Rat
Second sighting – a bum view of male lion.
There was a second male but was walking off far into the distance. Then, just before Langklaas we saw Jackals, Lappet Faced Vultures and White Backed Vultures on the remains of a Wildebeest kill. It was hard to count but at best, there was about 40 Vultures and around 20 Jackal.
Enjoyed a coffee break while watching the interaction of the jackals. There was definitely a dominant one, chasing all the others away whenever they made any attempt to get close.
Near Lijersdraai, some more Bat Eared Foxes.
And Pygmy Falcons
Redheaded Finches, gave me a tough time (as most of the birds did) in trying to capture a reasonable pic. I’m just tooo s l o w !!
We settled into No1 at Grootkolk before taking a drive to Unions End. This drive was absolutely beautiful. Herds and herds of Hartebeest, Gemsbok, Springbok and plenty of lion spoor but unfortunately no lion.
Unions End is one of Ark’s most favourite places. Arks – We found your little memo that you wrote when you last visited in Sept 2007. I can understand how you feel about the total tranquility there. Took a couple of pics and this one was to show our daughter at home that the souvenir we bought for her had been all the way to Unions End!!
We made our way back to camp. Could feel that the weather was changing. Little did we realize then that it was changing to such an extent that the temp was to drop to 1 degree.
Back at camp, a Gabar Goshawk made several attempts at catching doves at the waterhole, not successfully though.
The grasses were very long , the secretary birds legs hardly visible.
ImageImage
Sun setting
ImageImage
Beautiful moon rising
View looking out the bedroom mesh window
We braaied delicious steaks but there was no way we could stay outside to eat. It was bitterly cold. I think we were finished supper and in bed by 8.30pm.
We felt a bit disappointed that there was no activity at the waterhole but that did not change our minds of how we feel about Grootkolk. We thought… Heaven ? It MUST be here!!!!!!

Last edited by Dreamer on Sat May 24, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you thankyou..... to Mashona, Wanda, anne-marie, ingrid60, Jo , Pumbaa , MM, Arks, Salva and Annelie. You are all too kind and patient :clap:
Let the truth be known...I'm a tad bit peeved off to put it politely :redface: No matter what SO and I have tried, uploading a video from a camera and not a video camera is IMPOSSIBLE!!! I hate being beaten so we WILL continue to try. The prob seems to be that I can't downsize the video as we do with photos!!

So a bit of editing and away I go with posting pics only... for the time being.

21 April
We woke up early to a very chilly 1degree. Quite a shock to the system , this cold weather arrived rather suddenly!! :shock:
With beanie and scarf and all wrapped up in a blanket I enjoyed coffee on the ‘patio’ and watched the moon set and sun rise.
I had a good feeling about this am, but SO was not going to budge :huh: He wanted to enjoy a peaceful morning at Grootkolk also wondering what Grootkolk was going to deliver today. Good for him, but not for me… I needed to get moving so armed with another ‘take away’ coffee, my binos and camera, I headed south. I was driving along ever so slowly…when I saw ‘something’ walking close to the edge of the road.
(I won't waste your bandwith..I have posted the pic on the previous page :wink: )
My heart pumped so quickly that it affected the functioning of my brain!! Well, I decided to quickly take a pic in case it disappeared and then I would never to able to tell what I had seen, hence the pic that I have zoomed in on quite drastically.

Keeping my eye on the spot that it disappeared into the bushes I struggled to see anything…then…wow…a cheetah so well hidden in the long grass that the first pic I got was grass and a blurr!! :wall:
Then, she moved and I managed a few clearer pics.
I was do disappointed that I could not share this with SO but realizing that that was ‘tough’ I started to enjoy every moment!!!!
Then, when looking further into the river bed, my heart once again, jumped into my throat!! She/he was in the process of stalking a springbok.
As she moved further and further and closer and closer to the Springbok I decided that I would not be able to capture anything reasonable with my camera, so switched the camera on to video and recorded so I could show everyone what I saw. Not to be.... can't upload it :twisted:
What transpired was... a jackal came 'trotting' along , let out 2 warning cries, springbok took off and so did the cheetah!!!!
When all this was over, I felt as exhausted as the cheetah must have :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On my way back to camp, I stopped to study one of those aweful Koring Krik beetles when my next heart stopping moment occured. A loud 'galloping' sound crossing in front of the vehicle and this was the cause
She stood staring in the direction she came from and then was joined by another
and then another
then the youngster got playful :D
A mole Snake just before turoff to camp

Can anyone help with ID'ing this Agama/Gecko?

Beware, there are eyes watching you while in the shower at Grootkolk :lol:
Think this is a Bibrons gecko
On returning to camp I was so pleased to see some activity at the waterhole. At the time of being there, it was disappointing that the waterhole was so quiet but when looking back now, we cannot deny, Grootkolk is a wonderful wonderful camp :dance:
These little social weavers and sparrow weavers enjoyed the 'salty' ice blocks that we emptied and let melt from our ice trays :D

We did have a special sighting this evening... a Yellow Ribbon at Unit no 2 :dance:
African Dreams (Lisa) and SO (Rolf). After supper we joined them to swap stories and share some pics AND some Amarula.
Thank you Lisa and Rolf for a lovely evening....just too short :( Wow, can this couple take awesome pics :clap: :clap:

One of the many 'creepy' Koring Kriks

Our last morning drive on our way back to Nossob we saw wonderful spoor
but sadly no cheetah. We looked and looked and the best I could do was get a pic of the beautiful long grasses she was hiding in!!
Again we we lucky with Suricate sightings :dance:
And just before Kannagaus Waterhole
and then
Wanda, do you think this is your Gert and his brother?

The rest of the journey back to Nossob was rather quiet.
When we arrived at No 5a unit, we had a beautiful visitor to welcome us
A gorgoeus Giant Spotted Eagle Owl right outside our front door
:D

Phew... that all took me far too long, a couple of OB's later and a super long chin wag with MN inbetween caused a bit of delays :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Nice :clap: Thanks :D
with claws I think is not a gecko...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Salva, Thank you for the compliment ...I nearly took that pic out because I noticed I had overstepped the mark with the pics, :redface: (but then I changed my mind :wink:)
bert, arks and p@m, That Spotted Eagle owl was really beautiful. It was sitting on the neighbours verandah just before we arrived!
Icurrie, Trust me... I huffed and puffed as well :shock: :shock:
AFRICAT, what a sweet comment, thank you :D :redface:
Dotty and Ingrid 60, you are making writing this report really worth while :thumbs_up:
C.O'Dee, thank you, I must get a move on with this as I need to make time to read all the other up coming reports
:wink:

22 April
The owl was sitting on our neighbours verandah and as we arrived flew up into the tree where she stayed for the rest of the afternoon.
Another much photographed owl was this white faced owl in the tree behind the shop. There was a pair of them but the other one was far more camera shy and remained well hidden!
ImageImage
Today was World Earth Day - Well Done to all staff at Nossob Camp for their efforts :clap: :clap: :clap:
and next to our beds was this little presentation from the Nossob staff.
After our walk around the camp and a short afternoon snooze we decided to drive Maries Loop and came across this mating couple.
She appeared to be rather bored with him so we decided to continue along the loop and then make a way back to camp along the top road without being in dust that would be created by the rest of the cars watching this couple.
This was a good decision. As we reached the north entrance to the loop the one vehicle in front of us slowed down and suddenly stopped. We did not initially see why, but within seconds all we saw was a huge cloud of dust and then this lioness right at our window side. Can you believe the two of us… SO’s video battery died and I my brain froze. No co ordination what so ever, switching the camera on was complicated, changing to the correct setting didn’t happen and nor did I manage a decent pic!! :doh:
We heard from the couple in the car in front us that they had been on the top road for a while watching the lioness stalk a Red Hartebeest. Just before they saw the Hartebeest, they watched her tuck 2 cubs safely away in the bushes. The dust we saw was the scuffle that took place when the lioness caught the Hartebeest by its tail but the Hartebeest managed to get away. It was then that we saw her right next to us. She was out of breath and I was hyperventilating. That was the closest we have ever been to witness an attempted kill. We felt relief for the Hartbeest but really sorry for her when we discovered she had cubs also needing nourishment.
That evening we attended a most informative talk given by the section ranger and a brilliant photo presentation by Francois the new field guide at Nossob. This took place under the stars outside the reception area. All power was switched off for an hour after the talk and we enjoyed this time in the hide, viewing the waterhole lit up only by the moon. (What I would give to be back there right now!!!)
Little did we know when we went to bed that the next morning we would be renaming Maries se Draai to “Die Leeu Loop”
:dance: :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
:clap: :clap: :clap: Where do I start! :roll: Fantastic Kudu pix and great sighting of the Grootkolk pair!(I analysed the pix and am 99% sure that those two are Gert and Eric - ended up trying to count whiskers :wink: )Eish! That eagle owl! :mrgreen: And die leeu loop!Super Dreamer! :dance: Meer asseblief! :D

F2/2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

23 April
Early morning coffee in the hide to watch the sunrise and then the plan was to explore Marie Se Draai and surrounds.
Pic of the webcam at the Nossob Hide

We decided to drive the top road and then enter the loop from the south side.
We had seen so many Kori Bustards but each time I tried to get a pic I was too slow. Here again, she turned her back on us a walked away !
Then...as we turned one of the bends in the loop...
I was not happy with just one fleeting glimpse of her so we turned around and slowly followed her. We were so happy we made the decision to do the loop backwards, but did wonder why we had seen no other cars.
She walked and stopped and looked and walked and this was for at least half an hour that we were alone with her.
Eventually she went into the riverbed and moved further and further away.
We decided it was time to turn around and see what was around the other bends and why we had not met up with any other cars.
This was why…lucky us again :dance:
They too moved into the riverbed and settled quite a distance away.
By now, the cars that had been watching them had moved on, like us, obviously very happy with their morning sightings. We moved along slowly hoping to get a sight of the first female. Wow, luck was on our side…, not only did we spot her coming towards the road again, but this time she has company.
3 gorgeous little ones.
They came closer and closer and eventually crossed the road behind us.
Now we started wondering :hmz: Where was she off to? Knowing that the road made a huge bend we guessed that she was taking them through the bushes…a short cut towards the waterhole. So, off we went, out the south entrance of the loop, along the top road and back into the loop once again.
Once again :dance: :dance: …..we witnessed “Die Leeu Loop” They were so cute but we did feel quite so sorry for them. All they wanted to do was take their time and play a bit, but Mum was on a mission and they were called to follow.
Image This little one was the straggler and stopped often for a rest.
It looked as if she was taking them back to where she had just brought them from.
Well, with our hearts happy and contented (and a camera disc full of the entire walk :redface: ) we headed back to camp to fill our stomachs which were by now in much need of a delicious Nossob breakfast… Fried eggs, bacon, banana and tomatoes!!
After that…satisfied..? A definite YES. We had had a wonderful morning :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: @ annalie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

24 April
Sadly, this was the morning to leave Nossob and head for KK, our last night in the park.
Francois, the field guide had a day off and was next in the line to exit the gates, huge smile and lifted his camera to show us he was ready !! He is also really keen on photography and was so hoping to capture some lovely pics of the cubs that we had seen the day before. Unfortunately for all, this was not to be. Plenty of spoor but no signs of any of the pride.
Our journey to KK was much the same, quiet, except for the rattling of our nudge bar!!
Close to Kaspersdraai, a lovely sighting of a lone Kudu.
A bit further along two secretary birds behaving rather strangely. On a closer look through bino’s, they were picking up twigs and clutching them in their claws and then dropping them. This one was about to pick up another twig :?
We stopped at Dikbaardskolk to see if we could sort out the rattling of the nudge bar. That was not possible, it was easier to just remove it!!
Just past Melkvlei picnic spot 3 lion close to the road, well hidden under branches of a tree. I don’t think we would have spotted them if it wasn’t for the other cars.
After rolling over and sharpening his nails, he decided to show us what sharp teeth he had :D
And then our first close up this trip of a Martial Eagle
The lower Dune Road to KK produced many Steenbok, Kori Bustards and the occasional Gemsbok.
The last night in the park is always a sad one, but arriving at KK was wonderful and cheered me up. I was keen to see what alterations had taken place as I had read somewhere on the forum. The canvas tent flaps have been replaced by wood, glass and a door, the skylight in the bedroom has been covered up and the waterhole has reduced in size. We found all of the changes 100% acceptable.
ImageNot the best pic but gives you an idea of the wood and window alterations.
View looking from front entrance through kitchen
It probably does make a difference, depending on the time of year that you visit. For us, it was neither too hot and nor too cold and we enjoyed a windless, cloudless beautiful evening.
We did go out for a short afternoon drive along the Aoub, but this did not produce anything exciting so we returning to enjoy the views, peace and tranquility of KK.
At the entrance to our kitchen, have no idea what beetle this is, any help ?
And in our kitchen, think this is again Bibrons Gecko ?
We are ‘creatures’ of habit, our last nights meal is always braaied steak with a sauce, champagne for me and a special bottle of red wine for SO.
The next am we took the Nossob road to TR before leaving the park.
Our first sighting of a Black Headed Heron at Tierkop.
A quizzy Jackal
Our sighting of the morning was the largest herd of Springbok that we have ever seen. I don’t think saying it was beautiful is even enough to describe to you just how fantastic it was.
There must have been over 400. We got to this figure as in almost single file, each one of them crossed the road in front of us.
Our very last waterhole stop was Samevloeeing.
After saying our goodbyes to the very efficient staff at TR reception we exited the park and hit the smooth gravel road......

All that is left to say is we had another wonderful trip and right now it feels like it was a year ago!! As we all know, each trip is so different from those before and I was happy that we had experienced a trip that was such a contrast from the exceptionally dry Sept 2007 visit.
For me, a visit to KTP should not be turned down no matter what time of the year it is. Just being in the park is food for my soul and already after 2 months I feel as if my soul needs nourishment again!!
Although we had many awesome sightings, I cannot deny that I felt a tad bit disappointed that the camp waterholes, i.e. Urikaruus, KTP, Grootkolk and Nossob were quiet. Having said that, that is the luck of the draw as reading other reports here on the forum, others had experienced more activity at the waterholes than we did.
No problem with that though… we will just make plans and visit again. I would love to say soon but that is not realistic so in the meanwhile I will keep on reading trip reports on the forum to satisfy my hunger.
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my report and for the encouraging comments to continue with it when I found lack of time to be a major issue!! I was hoping to post more than just one video clip, but that is SO's department and I need to be a little more pushy to ask him to make time to upload them for me. To be fair, he has spend endless hours fighting with Pinnacle, sometimes he is successful and sometimes not. However, as and when it happens, I will add them to to this report.
Now that I have finished with mine I can get on with reading a huge backlog of reports from trips to all the other parks as well.

Thank you, you are all an amazing bunch of forum friends :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Oh dear..another trip report ended... :cry:
Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with us Dreamer...

Quote:
two secretary birds behaving rather strangely

Maybe this is part of nest building....
"Let's use this stick in the nest, Dear......
NO! We shall use this stick in the nest...it is way better than yours!!!! "...or something to that effect! :lol:

As for that bug...I have been scrutinising my bug book but as yet I have not succeeded in finding something remotely like it! :roll:
That was a lovely sighting of the Kudu and a lovely photo :clap:

Quote:
I was hoping to post more than just one video clip, but that is SO's department and I need to be a little more pushy to ask him to make time to upload them for me. To be fair, he has spend endless hours fighting with Pinnacle, sometimes he is successful and sometimes not.

Why don't you sneak the video to me Dreamer...maybe I can help. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Again..thank you for this great report. :dance: :clap: :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2