Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Bush baptist & party in Kruger - Dec 2007 Jan 2008
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I am off to bed now to wake at 1h00 to set of for Kruger. :dance: Reports in due course.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:37 pm 

Just heard from BB - they have just left Kimberly.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

BB and SO are safely in the park but ignoring yellow ribbons :cry:
I saw this fire-engine red toyota with a yellow ribbon travelling from Skukuza towards Tshokwane at about 8am this morning, I waved and stopped but he just carried on towards the LIT we had just left :roll: hope he got to see it :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Had the pleasure of meeting BB at Satara this afternoon. Spoke for a short while, but will make up when we are both at Crocodile bridge.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:58 pm 

Just had a call from a very happy sounding BB 8)

They saw 9 wild dogs today!
All of the Big 5 on the road. A really close up of a lion near Satara (lots of lion around Satara).
Zip on the S100.
They went in search of Duke, but no luck yet. However they did see another enormous bull.
Two white rhino.
Most people are sticking to the speed limit.
120 birds yesterday - with BB's favourite, a carmine bee-eater.
He has a couple of stories to tell 8)
Tonight they are in Croc Bridge - which is very peaceful.
The Park is getting hotter and hotter.
They are making their home on Wednesday.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:57 am 

These are especially for C.O'Dee and wanderw from BB = :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Why?

Read on :D

BB was up and out the gate at 4.30am this morn. He was the only car at the gate (that will teach the party ones ;) ) and his sightings this year so far are:
3 lots of lion
6 hyenas
7 white rhino
and
11 doggies (wild dog)

:clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:26 pm 

Well MM, BB saw them again on their afternoon drive today!

BB has just called - with the main aim of making us all :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On their one and a half hour drive this afternoon they saw three rhino, and elephant right next to a lion sighting, leopard stalking its dinner (time was too short to follow the leopard too long) and 2 of the wild dogs they had seen earlier. Only four of the Big 5 on this drive he said, they missed buffalo. I replied that I did not think there would be too much sympathy coming from here for him for that - he'd had far too good a day's sightings!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the updates DB, Had the pleasure of meeting BB in Satara.

BB, sorry for the short chat but it was a pleasure, I am going to need lots of info from you on KTP. Fantastic sightings :clap:

Acecam sends regards & we have a story to tell about a certain PieterSteyn adventure. :twisted: (Hi Pieter, good to have met you)

Next time you will not come off as lightly as we will chat a lot longer over a fire. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Freda wrote:
BB and SO are safely in the park but ignoring yellow ribbons :cry:
I saw this fire-engine red toyota with a yellow ribbon travelling from Skukuza towards Tshokwane at about 8am this morning, I waved and stopped but he just carried on towards the LIT we had just left :roll: hope he got to see it :)
:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: My most humble apologies Freda, we were only in the park for an hour or so and the excitement was still....no excuses, I am terribly sorry for not seeing you. Regarding the LIT(S). As usual, by the time we got to the traffic jam including caravans, someone said the leopards had just jumped down. As everyone was gawking at empty trees, I managed to get my nose through the pack in time to see a leopard cross 50 metres in front of the car. When we got there it was gone. Sorry Freda. :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Back at work today, thanks muchly to Dinks for helping me make all y'all very :mrgreen:

To those who are doubting Croc Bridge area for great sightings, just get there. Get out as the gate opens and drive the tar road. I am not a great lion lover, as they are puny compared to their Kalahari counterparts, but I saw more on the road (25 I think), than off it.

BTW, MM the doggies have been regularly seen 9 km from CB. We saw 9, then 11 and then 2, but the rest were being hogged by yutses who just sit in the way and gawk, and don't let others into the sighting.

There needs to be some discussion on sighting ettiquette, as these people sit for ages and block off others. I realize that you might want to stay a while and wait maybe for some action, but then move a little way off and let others have a look too.

Will start the proper trip report soon & try to wheedle some photos out of Mrs BB.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice to have met you at Satara, on the road and at CB.

Thanks for telling us about the "doggies" we have found them.

I share your frustration with vehicles especially at lion sightings. I don't stop when there are other vehicles. If I found my own Lions, I normally leave as soon as a another vehicle arrives.

Nice meeting you to Scipio. I'm waiting in anticipation for the stories about the "oke" that got stuck. Cleaning of the Pajero? That's another story that I will tell in my trip report.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
We bought a Fuji Finepix S8000, arks & wanderw.

I saw the pix briefly last night and could honestly say I could not see better quality than with the 'old' S5000. She must need a bit of practise. :twisted:

There are some close ups of the doggies though! Will ask to put them in trip reports. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Thursday, 27 Dec, Day 0 Crossing the country.

At last the long-awated day arrived. :dance:

Father Christmas had been and gone, the turkey had been eaten, the car packed and my wife and I picked up her friends – a couple and 7 year old – and hit the N1 north from Cape Town at 1h45.

Stopped off at Kimberley Big Hole Museum for a welcome diversion. Saw many lesser kestrels (lifer) among 15 ID’ed bird species along the way. We drove to my dad’s house in Benoni for supper, and left at 23h00 for Orpen gate.

Very misty on N4 from near Belfast. Clear in Nelspruit, but after White River, thick mist persuaded me to head for Phabeni instead.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:46 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Friday, 28 Dec, Day 1 First day for out first timer friends

There is no better sight to greet you on arriving at a Kruger entrance after a night approach, than the full expanse of the gate in front of you, as happened to us at Phabeni. :dance:
The clouds were low and charged with rain. We waited 90 minutes or so for the gate to open and were first out on the road. :dance:
Almost immediately we started with buffs, for those interested in the so called ‘big 5’, then a nursing hyena next to the road.
The coffee at Skukuza was delicious. At the junction down from Skuk to the river was another group of hyena pups. We headed for Tshokwane via the low bridges. I was amazed to see 3 nyala does in the Sand river bed. So far south and in the open.
At the junction down from Skuk to the river was another group of hyena pups.
Then I believe I drove straight past Freda, :redface: YR flying, and came to a traffic jam. The caravan brigade blocked the road and we were told there had been 2 LITs, but they had jumped down. While the rest were staring at empty trees, I struggled to get through the pack, as I thought the leopards might go elsewhere, and as I almost got clear, sure enough, one of the leopards crossed the road 50 metres ahead. :dance: By the time I got there, it was gone. Still, leopard before lions, I can handle that.
Just past that, I spotted a bee-eater in a roadside tree. Yes! It was the carmine, my favourite bird! We were to see quite a lot of them on every day of the trip.
Our guests desperately wanted to see elephants in the wild, - a decision that later they would be very uneasy with – but we had to wait until the Nwaswantso loop, where we saw a breeding herd of about 35 in and around the river.
There was drizzle in the air, but it cleared up a bit when we pitched our tents at Satara. There I saw a YR and it was Pieter Steyn (& family), who told me a very interesting story – to be posted – and while the rest of my party settled in, I went on a drive looking for lions. Ok, ok, but our guests were first timers and I really wanted them to see some good stuff. Sure enough, 2 km from camp were a pair going nowhere, so I did the Girivana loop and headed to camp and fetched the others who saw 4 of the B5 on their first day in Kruger. Scipio then spotted the fire engine and we had a great char over a beer.
During the night we were vocally entertained by lions, hyena and campers who had been to wood sawing school!
Animals seen: Baboon, buffalo, crocodile, elephant, giraffe, gnu, hippo, hyena, impala, kudu, leopard, lion, mongoose, vervet monkey, nyala, steenbok, tortoise, waterbuck, warthog, zebra.

Best birds seen: Carmine bee-eater, Africa crake (lifer), brown snake & fish & martial & tawny & Wahlberg’s eagle, hamerkop, goliath heron, hoopoe, woodland kingfisher, sdand martin (lifer), pearl spotted & scops owl (back in his tree outside reception at Satara), European, lilac breasted & purple roller, double banded sandgrouse, spoonbill, maribu & saddle billed & woolly necked stork, marico sunbird , paradise whydah, red banded widow, white winged widow, green woodhoopoe

Pictures taken by my wife.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I also share that passion for carmine bee eaters — and I've not seen one since 1987 :( Obviously time for me to be planning a summer visit!?! :?

Hope Mrs BB has more CBE pix? Very enjoyable report so far!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next