Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 7
 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Story of the Kalahari Girls, March 04, April, 05, May 06
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:13 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

At last...the Story of the Kalahari Girls. :clap:
I have to warn you that it is going to be a long one...the Kalahari Girls did 3 trips and I need to tell you about them all. This is probably going to be a different kind of report...but anyway read it or leave it ! :wink:

Before I get started I have a few statements to make.
Firstly, I have the permission of all the Kalahari Girls to post the photos and video clips that I will be posting.
Secondly, I am not necessarily going to say each time who took the photo...mostly I took the animal pics and C O'Dee took the people pics!
And thirdly this story is something that I need to off load so here goes.......

It all started on a trip back from the KTP. SO,myself and the kids had spent the September hols camping at TR. Out of the blue I suddenly asked SO what I needed him for on this trip. Talk about a strange look from him ..but he knows better than to fob me off. After a cracking a few jokes he realised I was serious. The best he could up with was that he was needed for
1. driving
2. braaiing
3. letting down of the tyres
4. general maintenance of the kombi
5. changing flat tyres.

None of these to me was a problem...just show us how and we could do it...or we could stand on the side of the road looking helpless and somebody else would do it for us :littleangel:
My reason for me asking him all these questions was that I had spent the past week thinking of bringing my mom to this part of the world. Since my dad had passed away I had taken her to a few private gameparks but once you have seen one you have seen them all and I wanted to her to see a wilder part of Africa. Kruger was out ...too far away and not a very nice road to drive from Cape Town. I also realised that I needed somebody to help me with this trip. Before we reached Cape Town I had decided on my team, had smsed them all and told them that they were off to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in March 2004.
Within a week of getting back to Cape Town we had our first of many meetings and we had our trip booked....20 -27 March 2004.
Next installment...Meet the Team

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:26 pm 

Boy you people drive a hard bargain....ok a bit more of the story
I realised that the first thing I had to do in the planning of this Kalahari Girl's (absolutely no musketeers allowed :roll: ) trip was to fill the following portfolios.

Driver
Co – Driver
Mechanic
Bar Lady ( very important portfolio :wink: )
Chef
Dishwasher
Photographer
Boss Lady
Tracker / Ranger/Field Guide

Seeing this was my idea I got to choose my portfolios first. I decided on Boss Lady ( must be the school teacher in me). Driver, Photographer and Tracker/Game Ranger/Field Guide.
I then smsed Charleen (known as C O’Dee on the forum) and told her she was going to the KTP… as my mechanic, co – driver and bar lady. Then I smsed Wendy and told her that she was going to the KTP and she had been chosen for her culinary skills. I then phoned my Mom ( Roma) and told her that she was going to the KTP but I didn’t dare tell her that she was going to be the dishwasher…. :redface:

Well….. meet the Kalahari Girls…this photo was taken at our first meeting…using tripod and self timer.

At the time of our first trip we were aged 30 something, 40 something, 50 something and 60 something and Mom had not met either Wendy or Charleen and Charleen and Wendy had not met each other. The thought that they may not get on with each other never even crossed my mind. I had a good feeling about this mixed bunch of angels :wink:
Sorry ..but you have to know who is who in the zoo before we carry on !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Guys... I think the longer we wait, the more we will get!!
At least, thats what I am trying to make myself believe :lol:
Michele, shot on you for making a start :clap: I'm sure you are already feeling 'lighter', just think how you will feel at the end :D Well done.
Think I should allocate space for you in our car for our Sept trip... You may not be The Boss but you can be the sightings recorder. If you moan about that you can be made the dishwasher:lol: (My countdown has begun.. 60 days to go..)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 pm 

Quote:
Think I should allocate space for you in our car for our Sept trip

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Okay the last bit of background information.....

This was a very well planned trip. We had monthly meetings at Roma’s house. She lived 30km away from the rest of us. This enabled Charleen to practise driving the Kombi…which she loved! Wendy did most of the catering (she learnt our likes and dislikes) and oh my dear me….we left Roma with all the dishes !!!! :redface:
Although on my previous trips we had traveled straight through from Cape Town to Twee Rivieren I knew this was not going to work on this trip. Roma could not go past a shop without popping in and Wendy is incapable of going from point A to point B without exploring all the possibilities. So we planned to leave early in the morning, have breakfast in Calvinia( some people also cannot go from point A to point B without breakfast :roll: ) and head for Augrabies where we would spend our first night. In the meantime my SO had given Charleen a crash course on the Kombi’s mechanics. He made sure that we had all the necessary tools, spare parts and tow rope (what would we need that for ?:roll: ) By now the Kalahari Girls had become firm and fast friends and before we knew it our trip was upon us :angel:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:17 pm 

19 March 2004

And so the packing begins……spirits were high . There was such excitement amongst us all…finally we had got to the eve of our long awaited trip. I had the feeling that our SO's were all a little bit anxious. They kept firing questions at us. They did not catch us out though...we had thought about everything !

SO helped us pack and gave Charleen her final instructions re tyres spares (etc).

The Essentials :dance:

Those are all boxes of food by the way !!!

20 March
We left at 4h35. It was 15° C ….
We no sooner hit the road when it suddenly dawned on me what we were actually doing. :roll: Four Angels out there all by themselves…were we crazy. I took a deep breath and told myself to pull myself towards myself and relax. Before we were 20km out of Cape Town I was beginning to forget about all and sundry at home …..SO would cope and the kids would be fine . The Kalahari Girls had started their adventure :dance:
We arrived in Calvinia at 8h55 and had the most delicious breakfast. We had made good time…probably because all the farm stalls that we had passed were still closed so there was no shopping to be done! We left Calvinia at 10h22 and Charleen took over the driving. The Kombi was going like a boeing and we arrived at Augrabies at 15h00. After a quick unpack and drink (not in that order) we went on our first game drive. It was a sweltering 45°…no kidding. I was the only one moaning about the heat! :redface:
Next installment....Game Drive

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:48 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

michele nel wrote:
Those are all boxes of food by the way !!!

Yeah right! :lol: So why were the "essentials" packed underneath the seats? You have a photo of one of the Muskateers pointing out the very unhandy placement just above it! :tongue:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:16 pm 

SO packing for you, with a smile like that on his face, and he's not going with......If I were the suspicious type.... :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 pm 

Quote:
So why were the "essentials" packed underneath the seats?

@ Duques......now where would you put your spares ? Those were our spare essentials...the others were in the fridge. There is nothing like a ice cold essential at the ready when you need it. :wink:

@ Vos...does seem strange..now that you mention it ...and you must remember as well that it was his car that was going with ...not only was I disappearing for a week or so but so was his car...and he was still smiling :huh:

Sorry folks ...no installment tonight...I am at the forum meet...tomorrow I promise!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:47 pm 

Quote:
By the looks of things you probably didn't have enough essentials ... am I right?

:funny:

To me this was the real start to the adventure…Charleen checked that the fridge was packed with enough liquid essentials, Wendy saw to it that we had enough to snack on and off we went. The water level of the falls was very low and this was quite a disappointment to me but it did not seem to be so for the others….they were just in awe of everything.
I decided to drive to Echo Corner first of all . There was not much game around probably because of the extreme heat. . We then backtracked to Ararat where I managed to pinpoint 2 black eagles soaring in the sky. We took in the view for a little while and then continued.

I was desperate to find a klipspringer but no such luck. I was also wondering where the giraffe were. The last time I was in Augrabies we saw many giraffe. It was a rather funny sighting because the giraffe were actually sitting down to eat the leaves off the trees because the trees were not that tall…..but no giraffe to be seen either. :cry: I think the girls were beginning to think that I had a very vivid imagination.. Just before we turned off to Moonrock we saw some Eland. This was a first for me so out came the camera….

The eland were tick infested and I felt really sorry for them.
We saw a couple of baboons on the way to Moonrock and after having a walk around we headed back to camp. Just before we got back onto the bigger road I spotted the giraffe. They were very inquisitive….but they were off somewhere and were not hanging around for a photo seesion.

We moved on because time was running short and no sooner had we reached the main road when Roma said that we had to look behind us. There was the most spectacular sight that I had seen in Augrabies…..the giraffe were walking over the hill with the sun setting behind them. Well I stopped the car, grabbed my camera and jumped out ……not easy hand holding a 500mm lens . By the way you are allowed to jump out of the car in Augrabies. A few cars stopped behind me and I apologised for blocking the road but when they saw the reason why they all got out and watched.

The light of the setting sun on the giraffes was awesome…. everybody was quietly soaking up this scene but sadly I had to move on otherwise I would be held responsible for 5 cars being late. When we got back into camp we did not go straight back to our chalet…we quickly found a spot to watch the sun disappear beneath the horizon. I wish I knew more about sunset photography in those days but I tried my best anyway……

When we got back to our chalet Wendy cooked up a storm (Thai Chicken ) and we had the first of many indabas….we discussed the days events, planned the following day’s agenda( while Charleen kept our glasses full of Amarula) and when I eventually retired for the night I knew that we were going to have an awesome time together. We had survived the first day out in Africa .....and everybody had been taking their roles very seriously. Charleen was turning out to be the most perfect barmaid and co driver( had only stalled the Kombi once). Wendy was fast becoming a chef of note and Roma ..well , i don't think Augrabies had seen such shiny dishes before. We were all perfect :littleangel:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For all of you who love Michele's sunset giraffs... let me fill you in on a little secret!!! The photo won her second place in the "Africa Wild' magazine, not too long ago!! :dance: Not bad for a Kalahari Girl hey!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:50 pm 

Ah....I see there is somebody checking up me!!!! :shock:
Thanks everybody for your good wishes and the next installment will be coming soon !!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:21 pm 

Righty Oh...on with the show !!!

Firstly I have to congratulate my team....whatever they set out to do they did properly....and that includes snoring. :evil: The joys of being an insomniac..I also decided that they were far too bright and chirpy in the morning...what part of 'quietly ' do they not understand. Anyway they managed to get me up and on the road by 8h40. By then Wendy and Charleen had been to say goodbye to the Falls and packed up the Kombi and of course Roma had made sure that there was not one dirty dish left behind. :wink: Charleen drove to Upington and we stopped at Pick and Pay to pick up the last of our fresh produce.Somehow or other Charleen and I managed to keep Wendy and Roma on track and the shopping did not take too long! We left Upingtin at 11h15 and by now I had woken up and I took over the driving. Yet again the Kombi was going like a boeing and we soon reached the last 60km stretch. As you all know this is where you have to let the tyres down. I must admit this is where I also got a bit panicky. I was making so sure that Charleen did her job properly that I forgot to take photographs of my mechanic in action :redface: ...can you believe that!
We set off again and all my SO's advice about driving on this dirt road was formost in my mind. All of a sudden we rounded a bend and there in the road was a huge puddle. I thought I was seeing things. :shock: I had never even seen a rain drop in the Kalahari never mind a puddle....and SO had neglected to tell me how to drive through mud. I decided that if anything slower was most probably better than faster.
So I carefully and slowly negotiated my way through that one as well as a few more and we eventually arrived at Twee Rivieren at 14h18...with plenty of time to spare for a game drive.
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4ornu6s
It was with a certain sense of achievement and satisfaction that I walked my team into reception....the Kalahari Girls had arrived! :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh Michele, I really love this little video clip, especially the donkey cart, makes me just SO eager to get there! Thanks for giving me this vicarious trip as prelude to the real thing! :roll: :wink: :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:33 pm 

Thanks Arks... I must admit I am quite envious of your forthcoming trip..... :mrgreen:

The plan was to check in , unpack , have a quick bite to eat and go out on a game drive. That all went according to plan.....
ImageHaving a bite to eat.
I was rushing everybody along because I was dying to get to Leeudril and Rooiputs......I was convinced we would find some lions there.
As we got into the Kombi to go on our first game drive the heavens opened...we had not noticed the dark ominous clouds that had gathered while we had been busy. I dodged the rain and ran into reception to get our permit only to be told that we were not going anywhere :evil: ....as a matter of fact nobody was going anywhere, The storm was too severe. I also discovered that the road to Nossob had already been closed for 3 days and would probably be closed for another 3 days. I stood there absolutely dumbstruck...how on earth was I going to find the lions if the road was closed??? I had never experienced this before. :twisted: :twisted: I took a deep breath to prevent myself from exploding and decided that I may as well book for our night drive that we had planned to do. Well, I was told that the game vehicle was broken and would probably not be fixed for the next two weeks because they were waiting for a spare part.....so there would be no game drive either! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I stormed out of reception, jumped into the kombi, slammed the door and let out the foulest language that I could think off .... ( my mother was :shock: :shock: :shock: but she didn't say a word). After I had ranted, raved, performed and yelled the girls informed me that they were actually having a grand time and saw no harm in going back to the chalet and having a party........so I gracefully calmed down , drove them back to the chalet and we started the party. :dance: The rain soon stopped and believe it or not the sun started shining. I was tempted to go to reception to see if we could out but I decided against it. We relaxed for a while ....some of us worked on our logbooks
and some of us sulked !!!
We had the usual little visitors and I pretended that I was on the wildest of game drives and took some photos....
Charleen decided that we had better start lighting our fire for our braai......well this soon became a problem as well because the wind came up :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
We persevered and eventually we got the fire lit....but to keep it ablaze was another story because the rain came down :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=6cgky21
Somehow braaiing looks much easier when SO does it. It didn't rain for very long though ..(thank goodness because I was running out of bad language).. the wind dropped and we had the most amazing
braai consisting of burnt chicken and undercooked potatoes! :lol: Maybe we do need musketeers after all. :wink:

I must admit I think I was the only grumpy one....I went to bed feeling that not everything was going according to plan....flooded roads, broken game vehicles and thunderstorms were things that I had not experienced in the park before and I did not like it one bit. :cry: The angels on the other hand knew no different and they were having the time of their lives :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I'm really enjoying this Michele :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next