Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Baby baboon in KNP - Dec 2007
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:34 pm 

Hi
We've just returned from a wonderful trip to KNP. Maybe I'll find the time to write a proper trip report over Christmas break. In the mean time I want to show you my prize pic's - a little baby baboon: (Click on the pic's to enlarge them to see just how tiny the baby still is) :D

We must have missed the birth by minutes. This was an awesome experience to see this tiny baby still all wet and with the cord still hanging from it.

We found the troop of baboons south of Satara on the main raod just after 6h00 in the morning. The mother looked tired and was very protective about the baby. Other little baboons were allowed to sniff at the baby, but the adults were kept away.

Every time she sat down, blood was left on the raod. So when she got up, she cleaned the raod to avoid leaving a blood trail for predators.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jacqueline,
This could be the same troop, 6 kms from Satara, and how rigt you are about predators!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:34 pm 

Bennievis I don't know how long ago that photo was taken, but I sure hope that the little baboon is big enough by now to hold on tight when it's time to take cover. :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Interesting enough, neither the lions or the baboons paid much attention to each other. The baboons sat in the road grooming each other and were not really bothered by the precense of the lions :shock:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]