Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wildchild returns to Kruger - Nov 2007
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone,

Had the good fortune to visit Kruger from 25-11-07 to 29-11-07. We had excellent sightings of cats, not as many ellies and impala as usual, a fair number of buffs lots of zebras and giraffe witha sprinkling of warthogs, steeniesand waterbuck. Saw 34 lions in all of all sizes three cheetas on the S 28 two sightings of leopard on the Phabeni rd and one on the river road between L.S. and Skukuza. Left for Cape Town on the 30-11-07 and returned today 13-12-07 and am getting ready to leave for KNP tomorrow for three nights. Visited table mountain and WCNP. sO LONG FOR NOW... :D :D :D

Link to some of my pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/wildchildknp1

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:22 pm 

And an sms from Wildchild just received!

Quote:
Having a great day. So far ellies, rhino and seeing LEOPARD in a tree right now!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:09 am 

And! More great stuff just in!

Quote:
Having an amazing start to the day - started with rhino, then buffs, then an ellie, then 6 wild dogs and now sitting with another LIT!

8) 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:13 pm 

Some more exciting sightings in from Wildchild!

Yesterday:

Quote:
Just saw 3 male lions.

Quote:
Saw another 2 lit and 5 more lions.

And today:
Quote:
Just an awesome day with two lion sightings and another LIT ply rhino, ellies and herd of about 300 buffs.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello everyone out there, what an awesome trip this has been, a new record for me, three leopards in one day and six leopards over four days. In spite of this, I can never tire of seeing this beautifully graceful cat. had many lion sightings as well as plenty of general game. The only surprising thing as was the dearth of breeding herds of elephants of which we only saw one such herd.

The Croc Bridge area is teeming with general game, zebras like I have never seen in a long time, while the Malelane area is much drier in terms of general game. We have driven up and down that area without seeing much in the way of general game which was also surprising.

Got to go now... :wink:

Link to some of my pics

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone,
Not finding much time to do a full trip report so the least I can do is share some pics of our November trip:
LIONS

CHEETAHS

LEOPARD

Link to some of my pics

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone, I have been following many different threads and enjoying Kruger through other's eyes and ears, experiencing the thrill and enjoyment through other's wonderfully shared moments and now it is time for us to return to that wonderfully pure and pristine place. It is once more time to breathe that untainted air and see those unsullied sights. To hear the dirge of crickets lamenting their woes and bulbuls, singing their sweet serenades. To sit in the dark African night and be privy to twinkling star studded sky. To view the majestic moon, in its full splendour. To catch that first and last glimpse of the sun as it peek over the horizon and settles wearilly down for the night.

To meet like minded people who thrive on all that nature spends from its purse. Some are fortunate enough to glean gold while others are spared slivers of silver, yet others are bequeathed bronze. Each person receives their share of beautifully fulfilling views and sightings along with almost sightings, missed by mere moments and accompanied by futile regrets. For no one sees anything other than what was specifically meant for their eyes to behold, and much did we behold over the three trips made in quick succession. In fact, so quick it was that one trip has blurred into the other and writing detailed reports of each one will be a daunting task. So, maybe the root to go will be just to mention whatever comes to mind in the form of remembered highlights.

Let me begin with the story behind the cheetah picture. Having driven down from Phabeni to Skukuza and from there to Lower Sabie, we decided to work our way down towards Crocodile Bridge and see what that part of the park had to offer us. As we come to the S28 junction, a choice must be made, for I have long ago stopped planning routes beforehand and plunge headlong into arms of destiny, going wherever it leads us. Being an old fevourite, we decide on the S28 and take the fateful turn.

Having driven for no more than a couple of minutes, we spot a car coming in our direction and the elderly kind gentleman behind the wheel asks if we are in search of the cheetahs that have been on this road for some time but just before they left them to continue to Lower Sabie, moved off into the bush. Well, I decided cheetahs in the bush are better than no cheetahs at all, so on we went till we came upon two cars parked off on the side of the road, one facing us and the other in the same direction as we were going. “This is probably where they are,” said one of us but none of us managed to spot them, for we were looking far into the distance, expecting them to be a blur in the bush. As we drew closer and looked in front of the car facing in the same direction as we were but parked on the oncoming side, we exhilaratingly espied the three cheetahs in the picture posted drinking water which had formed a puddle on the verge of the road. What joy, what pleasure, what grattitude we experienced. Each of them drank to their hearts content but at no point did we see all three of them drinking together. While one or two drank, the other one or two were alertly observing the surroundings. Finally, once their thirst was quenched, they sauntered off away from the road and settled down at a comfortable distance where we could still see them very clearly. We spent a comfortable hour and a half with them and decided to move on and see what else was on the delectable Kruger menu.

To further whet your appetite, I am posting two more beautiful sightings we had. Will someone be kind enough to resize them, for I an not sure how to do it through tinypic.

Resized with pleasure by Jaz

Link to some of my pics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]