Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Having a beer at Talamati
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:45 am 

An adventure is an exciting or unusual experience. It may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome. We are about to embark on an adventure, but how did it start? Funnily enough it started with my previous trip report. I really missed the park during writing the trip report and could not bear only going back in September. SO and I immediately went to online reservations and was able to find a spot in either Olifants or Talamati. Having never been to Talamati and enjoying our first stay at a bushveld camp back in September so much it was a no-brainer.
As usual life throws you a curve ball now and then and late in December we got the wonderful news that SO is expecting our third. I can now confirm that it is yet another boy and our fourball for the future is now complete. Soon after we had to face the facts that SO can’t go to a malaria being pregnant, so the trip is off. Before I cancelled the trip I asked my family if they are interested in going, and during the conversation I got an idea. Why not make this a boys’ weekend with myself, my dad and my two brothers. (My eldest brother stays in Australia, so he is out of the equation). The only time the 4 of us spend time alone together is on the golf course once every two years when each one of us walks aimlessly in a different direction for 18 holes only to enjoy a beer afterwards and laugh about what happened on the course. This will mean all 4 of us together in the car for the entire weekend. Four grown men having a laugh together like only men can, but also 4 grown men that each know the best road to take, how to braai and what that little brown bird is that only Ian Sinclair can identify.
This surely is going to be one heck of an adventure and it will start tomorrow night packing the car so that we can leave shortly after midnight Friday morning. One thing I can tell you is that the beer budget increased substantially from when the break was initially booked.
At this moment I have no idea what this adventure holds for us, but I will let you know shortly after our return.

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 24 September 2014

Post subject: Re: Having a beer at Talamati
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
PietSkiet, this is what life is about. Making memories.

I don't know if you have read any of the stuff that I wrote about my Kruger (and other) trips with my dad and occasionally with my eldest son as well, but they are here on the forum.

Just don't let the beer get in the way of why you are going.

Have a blast!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi PietSkiet :yaya: . Hope you don't mind an 'auld' lady joining you and the 'boys'
as we stayed at Talamati last year (first time) and loved it :dance: So now I can
sit back & follow you :pray: ..
Oh by the way congratulations on your newest expected arrival :k

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
PietSkiet
Same packing and travelling plans as you :D :D have a safe trip,
Sounds like you guys are going to have fun
ImageImageImageImage

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
PietSkiet I wish you and your family the best of times in Kruger. May your beer be x-tra cold and nice around the Talamati camp fire.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Firstly :congrats: on your wonderful news.

I am really looking forward to more and I am sure thi is going to be a trip report of note :thumbs_up:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:01 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Great to see we will be able to enjoy another TR from you PietSkiet :dance:

Found an empty seat on the bus ...looking forward to this trip. :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:07 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Have a safe trip PietSkiet, and enjoy! Looking forward to read all about it when you are back home! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:52 am 

Sure sounds like this is going to be a fun report! Sure you guys are having a ball right now.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi PietSkiet
I just can't help wondering what you are experiencing right now :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Piet, you skiet pretty straight with words. :wink: You've set the stage nicely for the launch - looking forward to what the boys will get up to. :dance: Congrats on your soon-to-be addition to the family. :congrats:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 am 

Thanks for all the replies and welcome on board for this report.

We had a fantastic time and a weekend never to be forgotten. This trip report is going to be short and sweet and not like my previous trip report where I went day by day, but rather be split up in chapters. I just need to mention that usually SO takes the pictures, so I am very lazy when it comes to taking photos and am also not the best photographer in the world. I was very lucky that SO borrowed me her camera. I don't know how to photoshop so the photos are exactly the way they were taken.

To get a feeling of what we saw when I will give a quick narrative description of the weekend.

We arrived at Phabeni gate around 5:40 am and with everything going smoothly we entered the park before 6.
Had a lovely trip down the S1 and had a quick comfort break at Skuks. From their we wanted to take the H1-2 and the Marula loop but that part was still closed, so reverted back via H4-1, H12 to link up with the H1-2.
We then got onto the S36, my paradise. This is by far my favourite road in park. There is no better feeling in the world than just being on this road and take in everything that is Kruger.
Now I was the driver to the park and when we got into the park my brother took over. When I got into the passenger seat I noticed an umbrella and made a joke as to why you would bring an umbrella on this trip. When we arrived at Nhlanguleni for brunch it started to bucket down while busy cooking and the umbrella was the best idea ever. The rain stopped before we finished cooking our brunch and we all enjoyed it in bright sun shine. That is Kruger for you.
We ventured further north and took the S140 straight to camp. We arrived there and was booked in around 15h30 and with 4 men, each knowing what to do and not trying to multi task the car was unpacked and everyone had a dop in hand by 15:45.
The plan was to venture on a short drive around 16h30, but after a long day we were just so relaxed sitting outside enjoying each other's company and taking in Kruger. Talamati is absolutely amazing. We started the fire around 18h00 and shortly after the Scops owls started to provide music for the night.
When we initially booked, the two small boys would have gone along so we booked a CO4 cottage, which meant my brother and I had to share the bunkbed seeing that we are the youngest. He woke me up at 2h00 with terrifying snoring that I am not used to. Knowing that I was not going to fall asleep any time soon I went to sit in the hide. I was there for about an hour, and it was one of the most relaxing and soul soothing hours I ever experienced in my life.

The next day we went east on the S140, north on the S36, took the S126 and north on the H1-3 to Satara for a comfort break. From there we took the S100, S41 to N'wanetsi for brunch, and came back H6, H7, rabelais loop and S140 back to camp. This time around we did venture out at 16h30 and took a leisurely drive to Fairlfields and back. We had another lovely evening. There were a communal braai on at the boma that did get a bit noisy, but nothing to serious.

Our final morning we took the S140 and S36 again, but all the way up to the H7 and from there we went to Orpen where we exited to bring to an end a wonderful trip.

I will start with the chapters shortly.

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 24 September 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

PietSkiet, wow, what a trip. :thanx: forsharing. :)

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
It sounds like a wonderful and very relaxing trip PietSkiet! Looking forward to the chapters! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oooooooo... I know that feeling of sitting in the quiet hide at Talamati PietSkiet :k
even just thinking about it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up .. :thumbs_up: