Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 364  Next
 Post subject: Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Car :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :sniper:

Sand River :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Another interesting week ahead of you Ej - hope you get your wheels sorted out soon

Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
EJ I feel for you about your car :wall: :wall: but I do hope you enjoy your bush camp :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
At least you have a lovely time ahead of you EJ! Enjoy! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:12 pm 

This is from EJ - her battery has died on her ...

ecojunkie wrote:
On Sunday I was collected at Skukuza by the guides leaving Bush Camp as they dropped off their guests and taken back to camp with them. They then left, the new hosts had arrived, and after I got settled into the 2nd rifle hut I went back to Skukuza to wait for our guests. There was a large breeding herd of elephants at the Sand River causeway beginning to head down to the river and I hoped they would still be there on my return with the guests. I already knew the 1st rifle would be a bit late so I would take the guests to camp on my own.

The guests were a little late arriving and wanted to get hamburger to take-away with them, so the 1st rifle met us as we left Skukuza in the end. The ellies were still near Sand River causeway but just at the no-entry road junction above the causeway. We had a good stop with them and enjoyed watching interaction in the groupl. Eventually we had to move on because we were already late and needed to get back to be able to unpack and then go out for the sundowner drive.

We went to one of the turn-outs down the Sabie River on the Salitjie road and had a good drive there and back. Next morning we walked at Sandsteen Koppies (on the plain west of Nkumbe lookout). The weather was kind and not too hot for walking.

That evening we walked near Jones Dam and had a sundowner stop there before heading back. 2nd morning we walked at Sundwini, and that evening the guests did not want to walk, so we took a longer drive instead. On the final morning time was tight and again some guests did not want to walk so we had a short drive instead along the Salitjie road.

Sightings overall were good, with only a leopard of the big 5 escaping us. We had a lioness with 3 young cubs and an older juvenile, several rhino on foot and on drives, ellies on drives, buffalo herds, saddle-bill storks, many vultures, tawny eagles, kudu, nyala, zebs, impalas, porcupine, reedbuck, duikers, steenbok, wildebeest, hyenas, bushbuck, waterbuck…..

Yesterday afternoon I changed our vehicle and we now have a 4x4 game drive vehicle which is more suitable for our needs. I then came back to a very quiet camp, and had it totally to myself for the night. Bliss! Heard hippo, leopard, lion, hyena, impalas, baboons, bushbuck….

This morning a lion is calling in the river bed in front of camp…..and I managed to see him and get a couple of photos. Lots of birds moving around, and the monkeys were a bit of a problem earlier on, but moved off when they found nothing here for them.

Shortly will leave for Skukuza again to do a couple of admin things, and then wait for the folk coming for the Earth Sciences course. Weather is a bit overcast and generally cooler today, but the sun has pushed through the clouds a couple of times.

At Skuluza I will try to find time to log on and post this report…..

Battery running low so not sure how much I will get done at the moment.....

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
thank DinkyBird to do the "relay"

car is not enough... now battery :hmz:
nice expedition :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks DinkyBird. :gflower:

Glad you could get some Image of the Lion...looking forward to see them sometime. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for that Dinkybird ... :thumbs_up: I was beginning to wonder were EJ was :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:24 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks for posting on EJ's behalf Dinkybird! :D

They had lots of lovely sightings! She's got the best job in the world! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I am back home in the caravan, but have a lot to catch up on......will post more when I have time to do it justice.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome back EJ. Catching up is not good but it has to be done. Looking forward to your next report.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The Earth Sciences course did not present many opportunities to get out in the bush but was still good.

The first evening we spent outside the camp after dinner.......Clive (the presenter) has put together a time-line of events since the 'big bang' relevant to RSA and condensed into a 46m long paper chain with events marked and small pictures/info posters at relevant points. I was glad my 'boss' had decided to stay on that night after all and so there were 2 of us with rifles and spotlights to keep the group safe. We had seen buffaloes passing the fence in the direction of the activity earlier while eating!

We saw the buffaloes, but they stayed down in the river bed and did not disturb us. We also heard lions roaring.....but not too close.

That night shortly after we all went to bed the lions got a buffalo and the noise was eerie......plus lots of pounding buff hooves racing past camp. Then silence for a while, and then more hoof pounding and further silence. I think the buffalo got away as there was no further sign of a kill near the camp at all. We heard lions every night in fact!
Also heard leopard, hyenas, kudus, bushbuck.

Second day was spent in camp with lectures and that night we had astronomy on the high level bridge over the Sabie River. All was quiet.

Next day we had a big trip down the Rietpan fire break road to demonstrate what a geological trip across Kruger would be like, taking soil samples at different geological areas. Again a quiet day apart from a close encounter with a big tusker from the vehicles, and having to move a tree to get past at one point.

The final day we went to the Skukuza experimental fire plots so the course participants could do some of their own soil samples for their assignments. We had wildebeest, zebs and impalas supervising, and somebody told us there were rhino near by.......

That night (Sunday) I spent back in camp again, with an SHR couple joining me to prepare for the next bush camp. We had a leopard call very close to camp - I think it walked down the fence line next to the river.

After packing up I went to Skukuza, met a guide friend, we exchanged vehicles and I used his bakkie to get home......coming via CB to collect my post on the way at Komatipoort. Had a big tusker (my ellie....Thandamamba) on the road for a while at one point, but he moved off turned round and watched the cars go past him.

Spent today fairly quietly catching up......

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sounds as if you had a great time EJ, glad for the buff that got away, not so good for the lions :doh:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
EJ...Thanks for sharing this most exciting time you had. :thumbs_up:

ecojunkie wrote:
That night shortly after we all went to bed the lions got a buffalo and the noise was eerie......plus lots of pounding buff hooves racing past camp. Then silence for a while, and then more hoof pounding and further silence. I think the buffalo got away as there was no further sign of a kill near the camp at all. We heard lions every night in fact!

What a thrilling experience this must have been to witness it first hand and be there. 8) ..much different than when you see it on film. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:13 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What an experience EJ! Fantastic! :clap: :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 364  Next