Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152
 Post subject: Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mmmnnn, civet would be a really lovely sighting . . . .

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Had a couple of sunset drives recently, both fairly quiet but good close sightings of the animals we did have. Some nice restful ellies, buffs, hippos, a couple of friendly slender mongooses, giraffes, zebs, impalas, scrub hares, warthogs, waterbuck, hyenas, duikers, steenbok.......when the list is made it sounds a lot after all!

The last trip ended up with a thunder storm and we all got a bit wet. The rain stopped after about 10 mins though, and did not start again until I was nearly back at camp, and waited until I was in the caravan before it really poured. Lashings of rain, wind, lots of lightning and crashes of thunder.....It was a really wild night.

But it is not necessary to go out of camp for animal encounters! Yesterday after getting back from church I went to see how some campers had fared in the storm. The lady had slipped on the ladder to their roof top tent and had some nasty bruises so I took her some arnica ointment......and on the way across to them almost walked slap bang into an ellie!

He had come into camp after marulas and got almost as much of a surprise as I did......he did not like it. I ducked quickly behind the hedge.....even though he would know I was there! And made my way across to the campers under cover and then spent some time with them while we watched the ellie. He moved between 3 trees hoovering up fruit on the ground, and kept a watch on us too, showing a bit of agitation if we moved too much.

I went back to the caravan by walking around the huts out of his sight, but he saw me cross the road to the caravan area and again was not happy. I watched for a while, and then he moved back close to the gate so I got into the 10-seater which was near me and thought I could gently encourage him to go out the gate. Unfortunately the sound of the engine was like a red rag to a bull! He did not like it..... I passed him though and joined the campers, but could not get close to him without warning movements on his part. There was no point in upsetting him more so I parked up and stayed with the campers. I could not walk away without being in full view and maybe upsetting him as he now was not a happy chappy!

He did move towards the staff area, and they chased him off by making a noise and started to throw things at him and I think use a catapult. He turned and I thought was going out the gate.....but instead turned again and came straight for us! I told the campers to get into their car quickly (almost an unneeded instruction!) and joined them while watching....He stopped at the back of the car and slowly settled down again and walked back to his trees. After that we could do little but watch him.

I reported the incident hoping for some back-up too. And so that any guests still to check in could be warned....

Eventually he moved to the road area again and then suddenly out of the gate and one of the staff appeared.....I think he had managed to chase ellie at the right moment. Ellie then moved round to my caravan area (outside the fence) and then off into the bush.

He has been around though, and was back tonight with a friend. Heard a car go to staff area while I was talking to same campers, and immediately an ellie squeal. I ran to the gate to close it, and was just in time because as I turned to go back to the campers he appeared! I had already warned our other guests about him, and so just watched for a while then made arrangements that if either of the campers were worried they could hoot and I would come, and came back to the caravan.

I have a walk in the morning.....probably with Ras from BnD......

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You don't need him bringing reinforcements EJ. :naughty: I suppose once the marula season is over, he will move off to another area.

What an incident to have. Who says that watching wildlife can be boring? :lol:

December 2015/2016 in Kruger - From Top to Tail
17 - 19 Punda Maria
20 - 22 Shingwedzi
23 - 25 Letaba
26 - 01 Tamboti
02 - 03 Skukuza
04 - 06 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I love it when I see that you have posted another bit to your TR.

What an episode with the elephant in the camp. As you describe it I can envisage exactly where you were and how it all happened.
The campers must have been rather worried.
Do elephants get intoxicated (drunk) when they eat the marula fruit? :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Ellies do not get drunk on the fruit. They would need to eat a huge amount to do that! The only animals which get drunk on marula fruit are humans......on amarula!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A pretty close encounter ! I can't remember a cattle grid at the entrance to Malelane camp - does/would this deter the elephants? Thanks for the interesting post.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

There is nothing other than an ordinary fence and gate to stop the ellies here. And the gate is left open in the day time anyway. There is not much that will stop a determined ellie!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:54 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
Hope that Ellie will start behaving himself soon EJ! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Had to take a detour this morning to get past him and a mate or two.......on the road outside camp and hoovering marulas on both sides of the road. They were obviously going to be there a while so I made other plans......!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:46 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
Fortunately you could make another plan, otherwise you had to stay where you were until they have left! :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

And Thursday night he returned, broke down the fence in the far corner away from me, and broke some branches off some trees and uprooted a couple of others. He also left calling cards outside the ablution block (well I suppose being ellie-sized he could not get inside!!!!).

It delayed me leaving for the shooting range a bit, but I reported the fence when I got back and it was repaired by the evening.

Ellies still around camp a lot.....heard them during the night, but no nonsense from them this time. Guests tell me there are some up the road from us today......

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

And tonight again, just at gate closing time Mr Naughty thought he would come into camp through the gate too! Cleaner and guests made a noise, he turned away enough and I quickly closed the gate!!!! He is still around though, and has a friend or two with him........ At the moment I can hear them next to the caravan.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

EJ that naughty Ellie must have known we were there as there was not a murmur from him while we were there .
Lovely stay at Malelane Saw the hyena patrolling the fence but did not make a noise as thos camping guests said they were terrified of the furry things what ever the size

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152