Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153
 Post subject: Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2014)
Noisy guests on a walk .... what were they thinking? :hmz:

Great to have the big five in such a short while, although from the vehicle. :clap: :clap:

Enjoy the cricket EJ, and the Lonely Bull backpack trail! :dance: :dance:

Post subject: Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Time out in the bush in little nylon tent was good! Close encounters on foot several times, and others just enjoying being out there....such a privilege, and one I still cannot believe has fallen to my lot!

One encounter was perhaps a little too close...... We got out ready to walk in a promising area, intending to walk to a big pan we had been told about. Almost immediately we picked up both lion and buffalo spoor. We then heard and saw a big herd of buffalo at a pan and grazing ahead of us and could hear some splashing about in the water.

As we watched and decided the best way to view them closer, we realised 2 young lions were also watching us from the edge of a clearing to our right!!! Just curious young cats.....the rest of the pride were in the bushes near by. When we all turned their way they also disappeared into the bushes. It was too thick to try and track them safely especially as we knew from the spoor that there were cubs about. So we turned back to the buffalo.

We moved to the edge of the clearing and the buffalo saw us and began to close in......not the usual behaviour of a large herd when they can see anti-predator behaviour on the part of walkers..... These buffs had already been hassled by the lions (we actually wondered if there was a kill as we saw vultures, bateleur and tawny eagle in the area.....). We began to feel like the meat in a sandwich...... But our 2 guides competently led us out of danger and we continued the walk.....most of us on wobbly legs for a bit!!!!

Had we fully realised what had happened before we got there we would have avoided the buffalo as well!

Now at Skuks for Cricket.....let the fun and fund-raising begin!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153