Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330 ... 364  Next
 Post subject: Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Now some more 'normal' days with office work etc. Mornings are cold with the damp air from the river making it feel worse. The weekend gate duties will be hard for that reason......

The lion research folk were trying to dart a lion last night and we had the loudspeakers playing distressed buffalo calls for an hour or so just as darkness fell as they were trying near camp. Did not go on too long, so guess they were successful.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:15 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
If they succeeded in darting the Lion, how do they get rid of the others that might be around, so that they can get to the darted one? I think at night it could be a problem if one hides just behind a bush and if the researchers go closer, they might be in danger! :hmz:

Just try and keep warm during the gate duties EJ! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I do not know what happened in this case, but they would usually dart the group, and then do measurements/tests on all. If they really only want one particular lion, eg to put on a collar, then they will make sure they chase the others away and carry her to a protected area between vehicles.

Thursday was busy in the office, and then yesterday I went with a guide friend to help with assessments at a neighbouring reserve. We walked to rhinos and ellies. He has loaned me his bakkie for a week now, and on the way home I saw a white-tailed mongoose near camp.

This morning was gate duty. Fairly quiet.....just had a few too many cars for the carpark initially. One man in the queue decided he would walk to the reception. We told him to wait until he was parked.....so he angrily turned round and left for Croc Bridge! There are roadworks, border traffic, and a busier gate that way, so he may still be waiting....... And when I had to pop back to the gate just now I found a day-visitor arguing about the alcohol rules.....security had found his booze and were not letting him in.

Might have a sunset drive this evening if a second vehicle is booked. Then gate duty again tomorrow.....already bookings are full, so it will be busy. After that I am going to make sure I get to church, and then will take my friend through to Skukuza to do bush camp. Pick him up again on Wednesday which is also a rifle assessment day and then we go to Sabie Sabie for more assessments. All good experience for me.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
EJ, You sure do have lots of exciting times there. :mrgreen:

Hope you manage to do a sunset drive. :thumbs_up:

:pray: Positive news on your car is forthcoming soon...it really has been so looooong. :hmz:

Thanks for sharing. :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:58 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I can't believe you are still waiting for your car EJ! :(

In the meantime, I admire the way you get along without your own vehicle! Silly guy arguing about the alcohol rules! What was he thinking! :evil:

Looking forward to the sunset drive sightings (if you had a sunset drive!) :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Did not have sunset drive fortunately as it meant an earlier night.....needed for the chaos at the gate in the morning.

The trip through to Skukuza with my friend (so I could then keep his bakkie for a few days) was not pleasant. So many cars about - it was like a safari park at times. Did see giraffes, impala, zebs, wildebeest, rhino, buffs, ground hornbills, and a blue-lighted protection services vehicle stopped while somebody was getting a fine (don't know what it was for).

Today no gate duty (usually quieter on the last day of long weekend so they said we were not needed), so took the opportunity to catch up on sleep. Will have a quiet day sorting out round the caravan.......

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Enjoy your quiet day EJ! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:gflower: EJ, always nice to read and learn from your "needed a (permanent?) fix so....." :thumbs_up:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sounds like you've had some very interesting days EJ. Nice to see you in action at the gate on Monday as we left!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
The trip through to Skukuza with my friend was not pleasant. So many cars about - it was like a safari park at times.
Oh dear, and I am going to be in the south during the next extended weekend - will have to remember to stick to the dirt roads and hope for the best.

Hope your car troubles are soon sorted

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Day visitor to the south 4-10 October 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ecojunkie,

I've been reading your TR - the last 10 or so pages anyway but will try and read back further soon.
I'm amazed by your life and also can't believe how long your vehicle is taking to get fixed.
I'm from Western Australia - and will be in Kruger for 18 days - the first 2 at Malelane camp on the 13th and 14th August this year (with my husband) - staying in a Bungalow (I think its no 4). Will you be at there at the same time? From reading your TR it sounds like you're away from camp as much as you're in it. Do you also take the night drives from this camp?
This is our 4th trip to SA - second trip to Kruger (last time 2008), but didn't get to Malelane last time.
We arrive from Australia about 6 a.m. at J'Burg - catch the flight to Nelspruit about midday - do the shopping at Malelane and then come in via the gate. We're usually tired out as we leave home about midnight and have no sleep for about 36 - we can't sleep on planes - too uncomfortable and can't afford business class. Never mind it will all be worth it when we get to Kruger. Counting the days. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

So far the 13th and 14th of August I am in camp......but sometime that week or the next may have 4-6 nights out in the bush with another guide assessment camp. It is being organised soon......

Oh, and yes I do the drives from camp sometimes when needed - or once even as a special request.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

impyim welcome . I will also definitely do a night drive with Ecojunkie when next in Kruger. I hope you can organise one too. And once the jet lag has worn off I do hope you have a wonderful Kruger holiday.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Are we allowed to organize a special night drive with you EJ, or does it have to go through official channels - or are you part of the official channels?
Just been reading back about 20 pages - getting an idea of what animals etc are around Malelane - also get a bit of insight as to your life (I'm not trying to be nosy).
8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I cannot organise a special drive for you....sorry. But if you book a normal drive you can try to request that I am your guide.....

Just had a busy few days in the bush. Wednesday was a rifle assessment near Skukuza.....folk shot well so the assessment went well. Then was picked up by a friend and off to greater Kruger area to help with another rifle assessment and 2 guiding assessments. Expected to be back yesterday afternoon.......but we ended up spending all day out in the bush and so stayed over and only got back a short while ago after a couple of meetings in Skukuza (which I was not supposed to attend, but ended up at because the folk I was with went.......and am now part of a planning team for a possible new product......!).

Very tired, glad to be back, and looking forward to a good sleep in my own bed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330 ... 364  Next