Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: another trip report
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:37 pm 

We were very very fortunate to encounter the following.

Hyena vs Lions

count : Hyena 11 Lions 4 Lionesses no male around.

We were travelling from the S114 turning left on the Biyamiti loop and then left on the S113 going back to the tar road. About 1 km from the tar road we encountered this once in a lifetime experience.

We saw the Hyena's on the right hand side of the road 11 of them. they were making a lot of noise and looking on the opposite side of the road. We looked and found 4 Lionesses with a kill. There were not much left of the kill, but we were the second car on the scene and decided we must hang around. the Hyena's came across the round but kept on looking back as well. Our feeling was that the male was around but we could trough the whole event not see him at all.

After a about 30 minutes the hyena could not hold anymore and started to intimidate the Lionesses. This was amazing how they interacted. 2 groups of 3 each from 2 different directions. Making a lot of noise going forward with their heads very low the came closer and closer. Every now and then one of the females at that stage only 3 visible charge them and they scatter. Belief me with her attitude and growling i will run to. After a long time looking at this at least 20 to 40 minutes the 1 Lioness had enough and walked across the road and then we saw the other lioness. They were lying down under a tree.

Eventuality the hyena saw a gap and charged. 5 of them. the others were "Chicken" and stood at least 50 meters away looking in a Western direction. The 2 lionesses charged and they run away. One hyena decided this is his gap came in charging grab the skin but then we were all surprised with the Lioness on the right hand side of the road under the tree that came charging in and unfortunately got hold of this poor Hyena. My Daughter started crying and we had to keep her from shouting at the lioness. Eventually the Hyena escaped but I am sure with the blood on the back and running on three legs damage was done extensively. The lioness then turned around and walked away over the road and disappeared after a while. the hyena's moved in and took what was left. I am sorry vultures you arrived to late and i don't think you will have any today I thought

We are fortunate to have this on DVD and i will try to post some pictures here. Have not done it before but will try.

18 to 20 Jan Satara
22 to 24 Feb Maroela
14 to 16 March Skukuza
24 to 4 May Berg en Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey guys, wait no longer.
Here are the pics I recieved from Nagaap.

P.S. I changed nothing

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My goodness Nagaap, what a sighting. :shock: Your adrenalin must have been hitting the ceiling. I'm surprised that you could keep your camera still.

Thanks for sharing 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:57 am 

Thanks, Yes it did, I was holding the video camera. these pictures were taken by my Daughter 10 years old.

I will figure out where to put the video and more ppics and add a link. Will advise later can only figure this out outside of working hours. :D

18 to 20 Jan Satara
22 to 24 Feb Maroela
14 to 16 March Skukuza
24 to 4 May Berg en Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:38 am 

http://picasaweb.google.com/krugernagaap

More photo's I seem to be stupid to add the link

18 to 20 Jan Satara
22 to 24 Feb Maroela
14 to 16 March Skukuza
24 to 4 May Berg en Dal

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]