Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Restio and family trek north. KNP, Nov. '07
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm off to Kruger for the third time this year. :twisted: This time it's a family trip, and SO, CB and I are driving up from Cape Town, with stops in Colesburg and Witbank en route.

Our itinerary is:
19 Nov - 20 Nov: Berg en Dal
21 Nov - 23 Nov: Lower Sabie
24 Nov - 25 Nov: Letaba
26 Nov - 27 Nov: Bateleur
28 Nov - 29 Nov: Shingwedzi
30 Nov - 03 Dec: Tamboti
04 Dec - 06 Dec - Biyamiti

I hope to meet some yellow ribbons while we're in the park. We're also planning on doing the Birding Big Day (just for fun!) and we'll be celebrating SO's birthday in Bateleur on the 26th. I'll try to log in for the Forum Record Day - but it'll depend on whether I can find cellphone coverage. :wink:

Michele Nel is going to post an SMS report for me. :D Thanks, Michele!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much for the good wishes, everyone! Much appreciated. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The Restios have definitely arrived safely.....

SMS from Restio...Greeted at Malelane gate by fish eagles calling.Buffs and Kudu on drive to Berg-en-Dal. Rhino and Ellies on evening drive.A tiny vervet monkey in camp.Hot 37 degrees.CB's new ambition is to be a film director and he is practising with our video camera. Lots of footage of his feet! Ciao Restio

Go for it CB.....keep your parents on the hop!!!! Enjoy...Restios...that fish eagle calling. I can just hear it..wish I was there. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 am 

I just received sms from Restio

We had a relaxing time in B&D and are now off to LS.Saw lots of rhino.Beautiful birdsong in camp- woodland kingfisher and green spotted dove in the day and fiery-necked nightjar after sundown. Ciao

Lucky fish and here we are sitting in the pouring rain in Cape Town. Oh wow...I have just seen a turtle dove from underneath my umbrella.....
Jokes.. I am glad they are having a good time :lol: ...enjoy further

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:44 pm 

Another sms from Restio... I am a bit delayed in uploading it because a certain laptop would not connect to the internet this weekend!!! :twisted:

Swopped a night in LS for one in a perimeter bungalow at Satara. Saw a big herd (100+) buffalo on the way up . Sitting on the verandah now watching birds. Can see impala, giraffe , monkeys and wildebest from my chair! Tommorrow we head to Letaba. Caio Restio

I received this on Friday so my guess is that Restio is having a wonderful time in Letaba right now...enjoy.. I wonder how Little CB's videoing is coming on !!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:14 pm 

No more at the moment...maybe she is out of cell phone signal!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 pm 

I have sent Restio a sms...I will let you all know if I hear from her.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:04 pm 

News from Restio!!!!

We had an idyllic stay in Bateleur with lovely bird sightings. Now we are in Mopani for two nights. Encountered a grumpy ellie en route- were very respectful. Ciao Restio

Grumpy Ellie :shock: ..I can do without those. I must admit I am rather :mrgreen: Bateleur and Mopani...I really enjoyed those two camps when I was in Kruger!!! Enjoy Restio!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:54 pm 

another sms in from Restio...firstly she is thrilled with her new horn ( and rightly so !!!! ) and the rest...well :mrgreen:

Saw 4 wild dogs this morning at 5h00. A very special sighting !!!

Well that just makes me really :mrgreen: I have not had the privilege of seeing wild dog !!!!

Enjoy Restio!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:43 pm 

message in from restio

Hi everybody...saw a lioness with 3 small cubs on the Orpen Satara rd this morning/this afternooon we stopped to watch a herd of nyala and met Gunner and friends

wow...lioness and cubs and a meet !!!! It seems to me that things are just getting better.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:36 pm 

Foxy wrote:
Quote:
04 Dec - 06 Dec - Biyamiti

Looks like Restio & families last night in KNP.

Nope no more news I am afraid :cry: .....but oh my goodness me...a trip report coming up soon. :clap:
I am dying to see or hear CB's version of this holiday. He sounds like quite a little character :dance: ...methinks I need to invite him out for a milkshake...maybe I will get some inside information. If I remember correctly...bribery and corruption gets you everywhere :dance: :dance: :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much for doing the trip report, Michele! You're a star! And thanks to all for your kind comments.

Sorry that I haven't had a chance to get started on the trip report. :redface: I got back to earth with a bump when I arrived home. The geyser burst; my boss resigned; deadlines loomed at work; and I had masses of Christmas presents to buy! :|

However, that's (mostly) behind me now, so I promise to start on the trip report in the New Year, when I get back from Bontebok NP. :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

19 November: Berg-en-dal

After a long trek north, we were delighted to drive through the Malelane Gate. CB (my five-year-old son) rushed out to find the animal skulls. He firmly believes that all entrances to all national parks will boast a fine collection of animal skulls. And you know, he's never been disappointed yet. Is it an official SANParks tradition, or just serendipity?

It was very hot and humid. We got our permit, bought CB an ice-cream (the first of many) and drove off to Berg-en-dal.

CB was jiggling with excitement. He would have been jumping, but SO is very strict about seatbelts. "I'm so excited, I'm so excited!" he said. "Thank you, Mama! Thank you, Dada. Thank you for bringing me to Kruger!" CB is a big believer in positive reinforcement as a way of ensuring that adults repeat behaviours that please him. This strategy is particularly successful with grandparents - and to tell the truth, his parents find it endearing too.

We were booked into a three-person bungalow in Berg-en-dal (BA3U), and it was charming.

SO and CB went off to swim, while I read my book with the air-conditioning on.

Later, we went for a drive and had a lovely sighting of a rhino. We popped in at the shop to buy ice and ice-creams (did I mention that it was hot?) and there were elephants feeding on the green grass of the dried-up dam.

That night, the Fiery-necked Nightjars were calling. I have their song as my sms notification. "They sound like your PDA, Mom!" exclaimed CB in amazement.

Last edited by restio on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

20 November: Berg-en-dal

SO was exhausted from a long year, so he declared this a Day of Rest for himself, and spent the day in camp. CB and I went on a morning drive alone.

The sun was rising.

We saw a tree full of sleepy mousebirds.

I think impalas are so pretty!

CB was happily filming everything on our video camera. He was so excited to use that camera! Later that day, the camera mysteriously stopped working. Perhaps letting your 5 year old use your video camera is not such a good idea. :hmz: I'm still hoping we can get it repaired under warranty....

Back in camp, I was delighted to see vervet monkeys with tiny babies.

It amused me to see how the vervet babies clung to their mom's tummies, with the tails looped neatly around their mom's tails. Each baby adopted exactly the same position.

The birds in camp were lovely. From our patio, I spotted Crested Barbet and the bright flash of a Woodland Kingfisher. Inquisitive francolin wandered by, hoping we'd left crumbs. The Emerald-spotted Wood-doves and Woodland Kingfishers sang of summer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

21 November: Berg-en-Dal to Lower Sabie

This was a moving day, so we packed up and then drove up the H1-1. We frootled slowly to Lower Sabie via Skukuza staying on the tar roads as the car was quite heavily packed.

We saw lots of ground hornbills during our three week stay - such a special treat for us. This juvenile had a caught a scorpion.

We stopped in Afsaal for a cup of coffee. CB had the by-now obligatory ice cream. There was a saucer of jumping beans on the coffee counter, and we laughed to see the beans bouncing up and down as the tiny worms inside them wriggled.

As we drove north, we were delighted to see a dainty dancer of a klipspringer, standing sentinel on a granite outcrop. Further on, we reached the large granite outcrop that houses Mathekenyane look out and get-out spot. CB was glad to stretch his legs.

I spotted a resurrection bush, Myrothamnus flabellifolius. The brown withered-looking shrub brought back happy childhood memories. If you take a piece of the seemingly-dead and dessicated resurrection plant, and put into water, then within a few day it turns from green to brown. Its leaves fan out, and it comes to life. Such fun! (But don't pick the ones in Kruger, please!)

People's Plants by Ben Erik Van Wyk and Gericke Nigel wrote:
The plant is an important African medicine for colds and respiratory ailments, but its main significance lies in the traditional use in the psychological treatment of severely depressed people. Sangomas would tell the patient to place a small twig in water and then give witness to the transformation. Miracles are possible; that things can unexpected change for the better.

It is hard to find a better symbolism for adaptability - the plant dries out ('dies') in the dry season but resurrects immediately after the first rain.

Modern scientists are keenly interested in the resurrection bush. Its microbiology may hold the key to new medicines, drought-resistant crops and even anti-aging cosmetics.

We stopped in at Lake Panic hide, and were fascinated to hear a "popping" sound all around us. It really sounded like popcorn! We eventually traced the sound to seeds that were "popping" off nearby trees. We thought that they were perhaps more jumping beans.

After a pleasant lunch in Skukuza, we meandered east on the H4-1, with its tantalizing glimpses of the Sabie River. Woodland Kingfishers abounded.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next