Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 4
 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:03 pm 

On our way to Orpen we passed giraffe, wildebeest and impala. And then one of today's highlights...a wonderful cheetah sighting! Yip, weep fellow forumites, it was our second cheetah sighting this trip. Two beautiful well fed cats walked across the veld 50m from us! All I can put this luck down to is our yellow ribbon. We will never visit KNP without it. (Soaked in windhoek! Toss the castles guys.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Your lions arrived at 18:20 this evening! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:08 pm 

We also saw one of the biggest ellie herds we have ever seen frolicking and splashing in the dam near here.

The visit past the cam was special. The veld around there is very green and there is a fair amount of game in the area so watch! Saw a magnificent kudu bull close by. There is also a lot of bird life around the cam and lots of butterflies.

DQ-little yellowbilled hornbills not ground hornbills - maybe they are action man??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:11 pm 

@ WTM - for me the burnt areas have not spoilt this visit to Kruger in any way. I like to see the different facets of the Park. It is interesting to look out and see the burnt areas as well as very green patches stretching from Nkumbe. The road past the view site is very pretty with bright green grass sprouting out amongst the rocks. We saw some game along the road enjoying the new grass. Did not go past Orpen Dam sorry.

Last edited by DinkyBird on Sun May 15, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:13 pm 

Is it perhaps mating season for the impala ? There is a lot of the ram chasing the ewes back and forth outside the fence - for most of last night and still now. Lots of grunting and snorting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:18 pm 

Guinea Pig wrote:
Your lions arrived at 18:20 this evening! 8)

well this could be the start of a good thing - suggest to admin they employ me to warn you guys of good cam sightings...i'll live at orpen. i'll clean the lens from time to time too!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
Is it perhaps mating season for the impala ? There is a lot of the ram chasing the ewes back and forth outside the fence - for most of last night and still now. Lots of grunting and snorting.

Did you know? Between his mating responsibilities and fighting off challengers to the throne, a successful male impala will lose up to 25% of his body weight during the rutting season.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Had an sms that should better be ignored by all LITLESS forummers! :twisted:

DB and Hawk saw a LIT earlier this morning :!: :!:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:32 pm 

We decided to pack our morning coffee and rusks and drive the S100 at sunrise today. Never had much luck as far as sightings go along that route in the past. After enjoying coffee parked next to a lovely pool in the river we made our way back to camp...and to our left about 70m from the road we saw two lionesses with 2 of the cutest little cubs. Yr magic was still working!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:39 pm 

After breakfast at camp we decided to explore the Olifants area. Ten or so kilos north we came across a traffic jam...there in good view about 80m from the road sat Bert in his spotted white suit complete with claws and yellow eyes...we took out our binocs and no! it was a real live genuine leopard in a tree!!!! Yes in a tree and looking very happy to be there and like he often sits in trees. I have pics and video. Wow, it was so exciting. I have seen a LIT before but nothing like this sighting. He sprung down from the tree and we followed him for a good while with binocs as he made his way through the veld.

Who could ask to see more on a trip to Kruger than we have over the last week!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:22 pm 

No big game sightings to report this evening however it has been another perfect day in Kruger for us. We added a good few birds to our birding log which we only started seriously this trip so I will keep the number of birds on it a secret as it is way below the 100+ one can log in a single trip here

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:29 pm 

The sightings board here at Satara was full of pins today of all the big 5 close by.

The trees and bushes are silhouetted against a deep red sky opposite the fence and the first stars have appeared. There is a buzz about the camp as campers light their braai fires. The impala ram is still very busy...no wonder he looses as much weight as he does.
Have not heard the nightjar yet.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:36 pm 

Tomorrow early we start our journey back to the southeast coast. We will drive as far down through the Park as time will allow . I know my heart is going to be heavier than it has ever been before upon departure from this wonderful place. Chat to you all on Sunday evening then.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:47 pm 

We are sitting at our campsite and the scops owl is calling. We heard a rustling in the grass just beyond the fence and shone the torch in the direction of the sound and there was an African civet -another first for us. He stayed a while sniffing the air and peering into the camp and then set off into the night.

There are two hyaena patrolling up and down - really hope noboby feeds them. And the impala is still snorting away.....

Last edited by DinkyBird on Sun May 15, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:35 pm 

Hi from the Eastern Cape!

We broke camp, filled up with petrol and left Satara early yesterday morning waving good bye to the impala ram who did not even glance in our direction - don't think he knew we were there at all.

During our trip down through the Park the YR magic still worked for us - near Leeupan we saw a majestic male lion with a magnificent mane and a female who I assume had moved away from their pride to mate - they disappeared into the bushes for a bit and then returned so were very discreet!! On the dirt road to Leeupan there was a traffic jam at another lion sighting (the pride of the two lovers I suppose). Further on we saw another healthy pride of lion including two handsome males, females and cubs in the Sand River bed near Skukuza.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next