Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 4
 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:52 pm 

Today, 7/5/05, dawned fairly cloudy and cooler than yesterday with a slight breeze - but no one complained!

We took the day slowly and just stayed close to LS adding warthog, buffalo and elephant with small calf to our sightings list. We did not drive for more than a couple of kilos without seeing some wildlife along the road.

We drove as far as Nkuhlu for lunch. Cooking brunch next to us were a group who were speaking very loudly of their cheetah and leopard sightings this morning.

The monkeys at Nkuhlu are really a problem and one has to be very watchful of one’s food. As we packed up to leave we heard a little girl screaming in her car - her parents had left food on the seat with the car windows open and the child was on her own in the car and a monkey had climbed into the car to steal the food. Mr DB rushed over and chased the monkey off. The monkey was extremely aggressive and as Mr DB waved his arms and shouted at it, the monkey stood its ground and even went for my man!! This is proof that the notices imploring tourists not to feed the monkeys and that these monkeys get aggressive and as a result have to be shot, must be taken seriously. So please, once again, do not feed any of the animals in the Park (I know I speak to the converted here).

Another small hitch at lunch at Nkuhlu was the amount of bees there. You actually have to see them to believe just how many there are! They swarm about, in one’s drinks, on one’s
food and of course I had to go and get stung - twice!! I’d really like to find out why there is such an amazing increase in the bee population in this area.

It is another wonderful still evening with just the sounds of the pinging bats and low voices in the camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:00 pm 

There are just two words in Lower Sabie camp this evening - “cheetah killâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:03 pm 

@ WTM - the veld south of the S112 was burnt for a good few kilos but the grass is recovering and there were impala and wildebeest enjoying the new grass. Have not see any other burnt areas apart from those I have mentioned so far up to this point but will keep you posted as we are going to do the eastern roads tomorrow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:08 pm 

With regard to the bees we have encountered; I spoke to an Hon Ranger (nice chap) here at LS and he said to me imagine what it is like for the animals as the bees also bug them (so not much sympathy from him) and I spoke to a man at Skukuza who looked like he was the cafe manager and he agreed that it is very unseasonal for them to be about now....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:45 pm 

Had exciting bird sighting. Can’t wait to post pic for francios and twitchers to see and comment on. An hon ranger suggested I send pic to 50/50. Will see what you guys think next week. (h/ranger was not a bad sighting either angels!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:50 pm 

Saw a magnificent ellie bull today with tusks to the ground. Will post pics next week for you forumites to help id him.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:08 pm 

Spent last few hours of daylight at Sunset Dam. As the red sun sank into the veld, a herd of a few 100 buffalo came to drink at the far side of the dam, impala came to feed and drink on the left of the dam and so did waterbuck, wary of the huge resident croc. The baboons wended their way home playing and squabbling past our car. Water birds waded along the water's edge and the marabou's flew off to roost. The hippos grunted and started to make their way off to feed for the night. It was magical ...and I am sad to be moving on tomorrow but looking forward to Satara.
So, night all...gosh there is a very angry ellie trumpeting down at the river right now.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Sounds like another perfect day in paradise DB.

Say hi to Mr DB and enjoy the trumpetting. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
DinkyBird wrote:
Saw a magnificent ellie bull today with tusks to the ground. Will post pics next week for you forumites to help id him.
Duke!?!?!!! :shock:

Do u think it was him?

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:28 pm 

Left LS this morning and waved bye to the cheetah as we passed him. He looked happy enough - proud of his yellow bow and had that silly expression on his face musketeers get after too many castles ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:28 pm 

Left LS this morning and waved bye to the cheetah as we passed him. He looked happy enough - proud of his yellow bow and had that silly expression on his face musketeers get after too many castles ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:44 pm 

We drove the H10 from LS and both sides of the road for first 12kms had been burnt and thereafter further large areas were burnt as far as Tshokwane. No burning after there to Satara. Some areas had lovely green shoots and we saw a lot of wildebeest.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:18 pm 

Set up camp on the fence here at Satara. The camp is busy but quiet. There is a large herd of impala other side of the fence this evening and we added hyaena to our sightings list - there is one patrolling along the fence at the moment.

As usual the Satara sunset was wonderful!

It is dead quiet here now except for the prrrt of a scops owl and the chirrrrp of a cricket.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I don’t often post on this forum because DinkyBird keeps me up to date but I'd like the members to know that I do have a forum name and it is not Mr DB.
Thanks for all the concern musketeers but DB knows who holds the trump card. She is a capable girl but needs me to take her to Kruger.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:00 pm 

The sun has set on another perfect day in Kruger. The weather has been great, cool to start and hot by midday. The sky at present is crimson and turquiose with a silver crescent moon.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next