Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Suej in Cape Town, KTP and Kruger - September 2007
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well here goes for the first of my trip report. I arrived in Cape Town on Monday, 3rd Sept to a lovely bright, sunny day.
After being dropped off at my Guest House for the next 3 days, I was collected by Oumie and we went to the V&A Waterfront for lunch and a relaxing walk round. As it was a clear day, we then went to the Cable car at the foot of Table Mountain, we had no wait at all to get up the top for some stunning views. Thanks Oumie for giving my a wonderful first insight to your glorious city !

That evening I returned to the V&A Waterfront for the Cape Town meet with my new found Sanparks forums - what a great first night and what a splendid meal I had of game meat kebab !

Thanks for everyone who turned out to meet with me and make my first evening a memorable one.

I will now skip the rest of my Cape Town meet to the end, and jump straight onto the Kgalagadi experience in my next post.

KTP 2012 - Green Dunes, hungry mice & frozen toothpaste

Kalahari Tapas 2010http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=48065&hilit=kalahari+tapas

Kagalagadi Wheat Fields TR 2008

Post subject: Trip Reports - Suej (On Route to KTP)
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Penni and I packed the Prada and rose early (4am) on Friday 7th Sept to commence our journey. A clear morning with a beautiful quarter moon and bright stars as we drove back towards Cape Town. We proceeding through the mountains, via Citrusdal and as the dawn broke we had breathtaking views of a meandering river in the valley below. Thick mist shrouding the citrus grove and making blackened tops of trees standing [above the mist appear like a scene from Dracula.

We stopped for a morning breakfast near Calvinia. As it was still cold the flowers only began to open as the sun burnt through and we stopped for a few pics in Calvinia itself.

We continued along a baron landscape and never-ending road, straight in front. A few farms with sheep that appeared to be eating nothing but stones, and began to see rooks sitting on little nests on the telegraph poles, and weaver bird nests adorning the poles, sometimes so big and heavy as to snap the poles off. Also we started to see Pale Chanting Goshawks stood on the pole tops.

Uppington, a delightful little oasis, with a pond, fountain, well maintained grounds and tame Springbok roaming around.

The next morning, after a brief shopping excursion in Uppington we continued our last leg to KTP. The South African road looked good with newly laid tarmac, but after a short distance this became poor like driving over a cheese grater, but we finally arrived at Twee Rivieren at lunch time. Our lodge was well equipped and we even had a room each !

More to follow....

Kalahari Tapas 2010http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=48065&hilit=kalahari+tapas

Last edited by Suej on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Trip Reports - Suej (Kgalagadi TP)
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After unpacking on our arrival at Twee Rivieren we set off on our first game drive along the sandy Nossob Road, passing dried riverbeds and beautiful red sand dunes. We sighted Eland in a very poor state, unlike the beefy animals I have seen in the past, these had their bones sticking out from their skin and
very moth eaten coats. The Wildebeest and Springbok seemed to have faired better, and of course the Gemsbok looked thriving being better adapted to desert life.

Ground Squirrel amongst flowers at Twee Rivieren

Sad Eland

We were told that the area had only received 50ml of water for the entire year and that many animals had dispersed as there was no food, let alone water. Many water holes were totally dry, some had signs to say they were not working, pity the animals cannot read as they were frequently seen just staring at the dry waterholes in dismay :-(
I certainly think that money would be better spent on improving the state of the waterholes than on webcam right now.

There were numerous birds along the way, resplendent Ostrich, Social Weaver nests, endless Pale Chanting Goshawk and Tawny Eagles, Gabor, Pygmy Falcon, Kori Bustard, etc.

Juvenile Pale Chanting Goshawk

As we returned to camp we came across a sleeping pride of lions with an hour to go before sundown, we sat at the waterhole just outside camp to watch. There was the remains of an earlier Eland kill in the bushes and the lions looked very fat and content. I understand that Bucky who arrived the previous night had seen all the fun in the morning, we had the dregs in fading light ;-)

Just before we left a young male and a female awoke and walked to the waterhole to drink. The perfect end to our first day. We rounded off the evening with a braai outside our chalet while the African night sky delighted us with a dazzling array of stars.

To be continued....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sunday 9th Sept

We were a little later waking up today and set off on the Mata Mata road at 7.30am. We saw magnificent Gemsbok, Springbok and Wildebeest and also a small herd of Red Hartebeest.

Red Hartebeest

There were too many Black Backed Jackals to mention, some find them boring, but I think they are stunning and fascinating to watch,, never failing to present exquisite photo opportunities and contrasting beautifully with the red sand.

The lion pride from the previous evening had dispersed, leaving the kill remains to 3 Jackals. On the road, two other vehicles stopped to warn us to watch out for a large male lion lying on top of the dunes to our left. When we spotted him he had started to move off, trotting along the top of the red dunes back in the direction we had just come from, and looking stunning. We were about to turn around to follow him and at that point he decided to come down from the dunes and walked straight towards us, looking into my open window. I got a couple of shots and at that point my flash card reported full ! :o At this point I was rapidly fumbling to change cards while Penni was screaming at me to just look at the Lion ! :D :roll:

After a quick change, we turned around and followed him as he continued back up the dry riverbed on the opposite side, with the sun straight into our cameras. We drove ahead of him and waited for him to catch up for about half an hour. He was purposeful, urinating as he walked and roaring. He walked past a herd of Springbok, totally ignoring them, and they too had little concern about his presence.

Eventually we left him to continue his journey and once again turned around to continue ours. There were hardly any other vehicles to witness this, I guess they had all missed him by going out early ! We considered ourselves lucky.

To be continued ......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part 3.

After our exciting lion sighting, we caught a sight of surocate in the far distant dunes, too far for pics and our only sighting of these little animals.

We came across a pair of Giant Eagle Owls resting deep inside a tree, saw Yellow Mongoose and were further delighted to spot a Slender Mongoose, a bright orange creature. We stopped for a picnic at the old settler museum, on top of the dunes in the middle of nowhere. That must have been a very hard life !
We watched raptors soaring on the thermals above the riverbed, wildebeest cavorting around a waterhole and a nice sighting of a Kohraan before returning to camp.

Yellow Mongoose
Fork Tailed Drongo on blossom
Cape Sparrow
Slender Mongoose
Giant Eagle Owl
Pale Chanting Goshawk
Wildebeest calf suckling
Male Black Kohraan
Kori Bustard

We rounded the evening off with a braai invitation from forumites Bucky and Arks. Bucky cooked a super Poitjie for us and kept us warm in the chilly desert evening by keeping his fire stacked up with wood. He had some stunning pics of the lions and cubs from the previous day.

His caravan was kitted out with EVERYTHING ! Including a full sized fridge/freezer, laptop and much more.

to be continued .........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part 4

Well somehow my trip notes got a bit confused here and I seem to have lost Monday ! :?

Anyway, after 2 nights at TR we packed up and arrived in Nossob camp where we were now camping. Temperatures that nights ranged from 2C to 37C ! As I have lost the days reports, I will say that the gates were kept closed due to problems with Jackals here, although they did not deter them during the night and as soon as we were snuggled in out sleeping bags with the lights out they could be seen investigating around our braai and heard walking around the tents. That night they kept waking us up with their screeches and next morning rubbish from bins was littered everywhere, pity all the bins are not jackal proofed.

Tawny Eagle
Yellow Mongoose warming itself with Two Ground Squirrels
African Wildcat in tree

Another couple we met up with, Isaac and Margo were also camping and Margot had a shoe stolen from outside her tent, so had to barefoot for the rest of the trip - not nice as the sand was so painfully dry, that even with shoes and socks on feet quickly became cracked and sore and mine resembled pangolin feet by the time we headed home !

We had several delightful squirrel visitors who descended on any new arrivals and watched them set up camp. This little female came looking through our tent flap as if she was asking "any jobs going?"
Vultures
Stunning Bateleur Eagle
Bucky has a similar pic of this !
Yellow Mongoose
Juvenile Bateleur
Tawny Eagle

Jackal squabble
Jackal drinking

to be continued ........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tues 11 Sept

This morning we came across a very large Spotted Hyaena at the waterhole. It appeared to have just left a kill, judging by it's blood stained head which was adorned with bits of fresh flesh and gore. It had a damaged left eye, with a cloudy spot on the eyeball.
It was standing in the waterhole, digging and eating mud as there seemed to be no water left. From time to time it would lay down and wallow to cool off. There were several birds and a family of wildebeest hovering behind it waiting for their turn, but eventually the wildebeest gave up and moved off.

We sighted a very unusual small buff hawk or falcon, which so far, nobody has been able to identify. I may post a pic of this on the birding forum to see if anyone there can ID it.
Any ideas anyone? stop press:
now believe this to be a Greater Kestrel

We also saw a wildcat just sitting out in the open.

As we drove further North we could see a sandstorm heading towards us, thick and smoky looking clouds heading our way. Before long the dust was choking and blinding so we headed back to camp, feeling sorry for the animals trying to shelter.

When we returned we were relieved to see our little tent still standing, but sand had blown in through any crevice it could find and everywhere was smothered in dusty sand. We had no alternative but to try and sleep the afternoon inside the tent while the viscous hot blast of dust swirled around us. No chance of even making a drink until it passed, which id thankfully did around 5pm. We did attempt a small drive out after but there was little to be seen, as like us, most animals were hiding.

To be continued.....[/b]

Last edited by Suej on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The morning after the sandstorm was clearer and much cooler, with a cool wind blowing early on, but it soon warmed up again. Here I am with a coat on !

We watched a juvenile Bateleur at Mavie Se Gat waterhole and witnessed a beautiful red necked falcon further along the road.

We returned to camp and rushed around to get cleaned up as we were moving camp the next morning.

to be continued...........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wed 12th Sept

We left Nossob camp this morning to drive on up to Mata Mata . The scenery changed dramatically as we crossed the dunes. Dramatic colours, varied shades from greys, to yellows and red dunes. Lots of hills and hollows. My favourite scenery so far.

We came across a Steenbok resting in the open close to a Jackal also napping. There were several pairs of Southern Black Korhaan, the females especially proving hard to photograph. We also saw a large herd of Eland at a waterhole, including two very young calves. The usual remains of recent kills were to be found around most of the waterholes and a distinct lack
of scavengers (Hyaena, Vulture) to finish off the remains.

Steenbok

female Korhaan
and her mate
Eland herd and calf below
Gemsbok with enormous horns
Springbok buck

The riverbeds were a myriad of game tracks and thousands of burrow holes. The life underground must be very crowded !

As we neared Mata Mata camp, along the dry riverbed we counted at one time a total of 21 Giraffe - they must be thriving well there ! We managed to photo 2 drinking at a waterhole, once a very disgruntled and territorial Gemsbok had decided to allow them into the waterhole.

Cinnamon Dove

On arrival at Mata Mata we tried for a chalet but all were full so again we pitched our little tent, but had to borrow larger tent pegs from another camper as the ground was so solid it just bent our normal pegs.

There were two pearl spotted owls nestling deep in a tree in camp, and a little further along, in another tree were a white faced scops owl and a tiny African scops owl, the latter being very well hidden and hard to take pics of.

Pearl-spotted owl
White-faced scops owl
African scops owl

We took time to relax after setting up camp and to watch animals at the waterhole in front of the camp, while drinking coffee.

to be continued ...........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thurs 13 Sept

I rose at 4.50am today and it was very cold ! We were out at 6.30 am, saw Cheetah in the poor morning light on distant dunes. I took a few pics but they were not worthy. We returned to camp for lunch and found our little owls again.

Crowned Plover
Beautiful Springbok buck in after-light glow of red dunes.
Ring-necked Dove drinking
Red-eyed Bulbul
White-browed sparrow weaver
Crimson-breasted shrike

Gemsbok profile
Gemsbok with deformed horn & Springbok

to be continued ........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We went back out at 4 pm and witnessed a half hearted Gemsbok fight. I doubt it was a serious fight, although one did receive a nasty gouge in it's neck. Bucky also has pics of this.

I forget which of the falcons this is?

We saw little else today.
We enjoyed another Braai in the evening, joining Bucky and Isaac & Margot and combining our resources. I love Bucky's braai bread !
During this night we were woken several times by some new campers who had squeezed their tent very close to ours and another, in order to obtain an electricity supply. The man could snore for England and I think few campers must have slept well that night ! I had to resort to ear plugs but still heard him. :x

to be continued..........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Fri 14th Sept

We were up before dawn today and packed up and left Mata Mata at 7.45 am, stopping at our usual picnic spot for morning coffee. All picnic spots are unfenced and in the middle of nowhere, quite often with remains of lion kill close by, so it's as well to keep a wary eye open ! The only fence is around the ablution block, with a mopani pole cage enclosing the ablutions.
Would hate to be stuck in there with a pride of lions outside !!
The area we visited most had shady trees around with plenty of interesting little birds and small rodents. Notice the weaver bird nests hanging from trees.

This Glossy Starling was curious as wanted a to pose for a pic!
This is me looking out from the cage around the ablutions!
A solitary and lazy "Waldo"

We missed lions drinking at waterhole 14, but saw them on the dunes before they disappeared over the top. They had been reported the night before with a kill. There was plenty of new spore all around the waterhole and over last nights tyre tracks.

Jackal digging in the mud
Ostrich taking sand bath with Springbok behind
Our only other Red Hartebeest sighting

Continuing on the beautiful dune road past Killiekrankie we spotted a Steenbok on the dunes, blending in well with the red sand.

A short distance on, as I was looking at the strange termite mounds, I noticed another African Wildcat laying in the shade of a larger mound. We stopped and watched it for several minutes until it moved out, marking the vegetation as it did so, and then crossing behind our vehicle it sauntered off on it's way.

As we drove over the dunes at KijKij waterhole we found a recent lion kill. About 10 lions with a fallen Eland. The pride was mainly resting in the shade, with the occasional feed. Other recent carcases lay nearby. As the lions were quite a distance and appeared to be settling down to rest for the day we decided to head on and return later that evening.

We arrived back and Twee Rivieren, stopping at the waterhole to watch two Martial Eagles and a Black breasted snake eagle at the waterhole.

Martial Eagle
Black-breasted Snake Eagle

We unpacked into Chalet 10 for the night, before heading back to the lion kill, to find several other vehicles had the same idea. As this was some 45 minutes drive, we stayed around until it was time to drive back before the camp closed, and before the lions decided to wake up.

We did again have the pleasure of watching plenty of Jackals waiting for their share of the kill.

We shared our chalet this night with a very fat ghecko and handsome cricket, the latter spent the night in the toilet and reminded me of a horned toad so I named him "Toady" - I grew very attached to the little creature and was crawling around on the toilet floor to get this picture !

That night, being our last in the park, we treated ourselves to a meal at the restaurant before retiring for the night.

to be continued.............

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sat 15th Sept

We awoke to hear lions roaring very close by at 6am. We hastily got ready and headed out to see if we could find the subject of the noise, but sadly, were unlucky.

We watched a very large family of Ostrich with around 13 sub-adults - a very successful brood ! They were close to both sides of the road, but will they keep their little heads still for pics !!

Young ostrich

We also saw a "pack" of around 21 Jackal - very strange to see so many travelling together.

What we did see was to cap the entire trip, a first for me. As we were driving back to camp a brown hyaena crossed the road in front of us. Travelling rapidly, by the time we stopped the vehicle he was well off into the dunes, but I did manage a few distance shots of him as he loped away.

Another red necked falcon popped out to say goodbye

We decided to exit through the Botswana side, which was a far better and faster road out of the park. Our last look at the beautiful red dunes from the Botswana side as we exited.

Important "misses" :

Several sightings of Honey Badger and a few Leopard sightings alluded us this trip.

This concludes our KTP trip. Our return journey through the Cedarberg range and my brief stay in Elgin, followed by my Kruger report is to follow.

Post subject: Trip Reports - Suej (Kruger NP)
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part 1

After returning from the Kgalagadi via the Cedarberg mountains, with an overnight stop in Clan William, Penni and I arrived back in Elgin. (more of the journey will come in my Cape Town report)
I stayed with Penni and Mark at Ladybird farm for a further two nights and was thrilled to be shown around their apple farm.
They have been renovating the farm for about the last 18 months and have done a wonderful job to both the house, farm and the workers compound which has also been totally renovated. It is now nearing completion and I know Penni is looking forward to that day.

The views around the farm are spectacular and Penni has been working hard to clear the wooded area at the back of the house and the dam, which will ultimately be a wonderful wild bird haven, in fact it already has many bird residents, included a couple of Spotted Eagle Owls and an African Goshawk, to name but a few.

On the night before I was due to fly out to Kruger I had developed a tummy bug and managed to leave behind just about everything I had eaten over the last week! Not the best way to start a flight and trip to Kruger. :slap:

My flight out from Cape Town was delayed due to fog in Joberg. When I eventually arrived 1.5 hours late it was overcast in Nelspruit and just 20C on the ground. I felt totally drained and as weak as a kitten. I was so thankful to be greeted by Freda & Jose who took over my bag carrying to the vehicle - Freda's new safari bus, a superb Landy Defender 110!
Way to go Freda :clap:

We arrived at Pretoriuskop to find our beautiful family cottage and I had a 4 poster bed (all to myself) ;-)
I went to bed early at 6.30 pm after a dry piece of toast and slept until 6.30 next day.

Wed 19 Sept

We set off around 7.30 am from Pretoriuskop with fine drizzle. Due to a recent bush fire set off by an arsonist (an ex-pat Englishman who was caught in the act) the bush was like a blackened, burnt out wasteland. The fire had scorched around 3000 hectares throughout the park.

Our first animal sighted was Impala, closely followed by a huge White Rhino bull, near to the road. He did not look fussed to see us and soon wandered off .

The lighting in the park I found very harsh with much contrast and often white skies so I had difficulty getting the right camera settings.

Impala in camp
White Rhino
Kudu with dramatic blackened landscape as a backdrop
African green pigeon
Spotted Hyaena
African Fish Eagle
Impala drinking
Croc
Sand Plover ?
Vervet Monkey
Baboon sniffing flowers
Zebra
waterhole scene
Red-billed Hornbill

to be continued.......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part 2

At this dam there were a variety of birds and animals, including Giraffe, Elephant, Hippo and croc.

Saddle Billed Stork

I would like someone to tell me why the best animal sightings are also on the wrong side for sunlight ! :twisted:

We found this beautiful fat ghecko on the pathway at a brief stop in Skukuza. On the image of him below on a tree you can see how well camouflaged he is.

Further along the road we witnessed or first kill ! A Bateluer suddenly swooped down on the roadside right in front of us and snatched up a bird. It was devoured in seconds. He was right into the strong sunlight making good pics impossible, but I had to take them all the same. We did try driving past, but he had eaten his prey so fast he just took off leaving only feather remains behind.

Kudu
Hippo
Buffalo
Ellie drinking from well
Southern Ground Hornbill

We had many sightings along the way to Olifants and were constantly stopping, finally arriving at around 5pm.
Our family chalet (No 18 ) overlooking the river was sadly surrounded by construction work. Pipes were being laid on the river side of all the chalets along that bank where the braai would normally go. It was somewhat disappointing to find this, although to be honest. once you sat on the stoep you could not really see the construction below. We did ask if we could be moved but were told everywhere was fully booked so we determined not to let it spoil our 3 night stay, but it would have perhaps been useful to be told in advance.

Construction - pipe laying

View from our chalet

The riverbed below was really lacking water.

to be continued........

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next