Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Southern Kruger sightings : April 2005
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:52 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Madach (and spouse) in KNP 2005

DQ reporting:

Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:52 am
Well, the first reports are in, they arrived as planned on the Saturday afternoon.
On the Saturday they saw lots of ellies and birds, and on the Sunday they saw lots of ellies and birds, and a LOR. (Leopard on road). They were apparently looking for 3 leopards in a place (likely near Lower Sabie), so I asked him if that was a female with kids. No reply yet......

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:29 pm
Update:
Spotted Black rhino at Nkumbe lookout.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:59 am
Recent sightings by Madach: Sable, lions and serval near Talamati, but all far from the road.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:16 pm
He has upped it a bit (why am I not there )
Two good leopard sightings on Orpen road

Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:28 pm
This will get the forum going...

Madach has just reported in a LIT, just 5 km from Olifants. He/she has a IIT (Impala In Tree) for companion, so it is not too frightened.

Remember the saying:
Don't shoot the messenger!

Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:31 am
Latest update:
Total amount of pics made of the LIT: 50 (Which means that it was further from the road then he would have liked.)

Sightings today:
Gymnogene, ground hornbill, hyena's jackals en a very rare FT (front left).
(FT – flat tyre)

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:52 pm
And another update:
Drie klipspringers op exact dezelfde plek waar wij ze ook gezien hebben. Fantastische sighting.
Or in English:
Three klipspringers at the exact same place we have seen them. Fantastic sighting.
I have asked him if he is now looking at the Wild Dogs, last year we saw the klipspringers first, and then 11 wild dog.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:29 pm
No dogs, but they have seen 4 lions on the S89 near Balule.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:45 pm
More update:
More lions seen (three) and a cheetah on the S89. The cheetah was too far away for photo's.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:59 am
Nothing much today, he reports in at 07:11 SAST with this bit:

Lions, African Wildcat, hyena and lots of ellies. Traveling from Balule to Shingwedzi.

I had SMS'd him about the rhino's on the cam, and he replied that they had not seen at single (white) rhino yet!
We are one up on him

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:23 am
26 March
Yellow ribbon meet!
They meet Bertus near shingwedzi, and report no other significant sightings, but the next sms:
Another Yellow ribbon meet! They meet up with Busbaby. They are also stuck with what proves not to be so rare after all, another FT (Flat tire).
A new car has to come from Skukuza. They do an afternoons drive on tar only, as they are out of spare tires. Spot two cheetah on a kill, but not near the road. I want to see those photo's.
The new car will be driving up outside of the park to Phalaborwa gate and then to Madach (Remember Easter? )

27 March
They seem to have the car, but they report five tsessebe and two giant eagle owls near Punda Maria. This has me puzzled a bit as I thought they were supposed to go to Sabi Sands that evening.

28 March
Lions between Letaba and Olifants.
He also reports seeing Mafufunyane, that is one of the leopards in Elephant Plains, so I assume he is there now.
That also means it will be the last update (unless things have changed) because there is no cell-reception there.

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:19 am
Reporting in again (seems to have cell-reception).
They have had "Unbelievable sightings", Mafufuyane in a tree with kill, and then from Safari (a female leopard there) with her cubs.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:44 am

Madach wrote:

Hi All,

I'm back from my eight-day trip to the KNP and a three-day trip to Sabi Sand. The bush is really dense at the moment, which makes spotting wildlife very hard. Luckily we (my wife and I) rented a high car (Toyota Condor), which made life a bit easier because we could at least see over the high grass. I was surprised to see the low levels of general game. Even in the South there doesn't seem to be a lot of it around. The only exception would be the Satara area where, as always, there were lots of zebra and wildebeest around.
The park was busy over the Easter weekend, all the camps were fully booked and the camping areas were very busy. The roads in Kruger were all right though. I've not been in a sighting where more then 10 cars were parked (except a cheetah sighting just outside Shingwedzi 10 minutes before the gate closed, I think the whole camp was there :D )

Even though spotting was tough I still had a pretty good trip. Here are the highlights:

Yellow Ribbons
Petrus spotted me at Red Rocks viewpoint near Shingwedzi. We planned to meet up at Shingwedzi for a drink but due to car trouble that never happened (sorry Petrus). Later in the day Bushbaby spotted me near Shingwedzi as I was getting ready for a bush walk. She immediately threatened to report me to the forum so I told her I was outside my car because I had a flat tyre :lol:

Leopard
Spotted one at the low water bridge at Lower Sabie. It ran across the road so I didn’t get any pics. On 23 March we saw two leopards (separate sightings) on the Orpen to Satara tar road. I got some pics of the first one. Later in the day we saw another leopard near Olifants restcamp. This one had an Impala kill in a tree. It was about 150 meters from the road so I didn't get any decent pics of it.

Lion
Serveral sightings of lion near Balule and Talamati. Near Balule the lions were very vocal, they roared all through the night. During the Talamati nightdrive we saw lions hunting buffalo and a few minutes later buffalo hunting lion :lol:

Rhino
We didn't see any white rhino in the KNP this year, but we did see a black rhino from Nkumbe viewpoint. It was faaaar away so I didn't get any pics, but through our bino's we got a good look.

Ellies
Elephants were everywhere this year; you can't go round a bend without bumping into an Elephant.

Buffs
We saw a couple of large herds of buffalo. The largest herd we saw was near Satara. The Bovine TB research team was circling this herd in a bakkie and judging by the dart gun they had with them they wanted to dart one of the herd. We watched them circle the herd for about an hour but nothing happened so we left them.

Cheetah
We saw a cheetah just outside Balule. It was very far away though. Even using binoculars it was hard to see properly. When we stayed at Shingwedzi two cheetahs made an Impala kill in the riverbed close to Shingwedzi. We got a good look at them and I got some pics, the light was almost gone though and they were far away so the pics aren't that good.

Wild dog
No sightings :cry: :cry: :cry:

African Wild Cat
Saw one African Wild Cat early one morning near Balule.

Tsessebe
We saw five Tsessebe crossing the road to a waterhole near the power lines that run between Punda Maria and Pafuri.

Jackals
Saw quite a few of them near Balule and Satara.

Birds
Tons of birds around (Kingfishers, Eagles, Storks, Bee-eaters, etc). I'll post some pics later in the week.

Cheers, Madach.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:17 am

BIGBOB wrote:

Wow!! What a trip
I was in Maroela near Orpen and had obviously missed the YR on your car.
On 23/03/2005 at 06:00 we saw 4 White Rhino on the same road you saw Leopard, they were on the tar road, and a few KM's further was a Male Lion.
Regards
BB

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Erwin's Kruger Park Report
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Erwin's Kruger Park Report

I'm back after an electronic absence. :D

I have compiled a report on our recent visit to KNP. The last time I mentioned the website where the report resides, I was knickelled over the knuckles. So for those interested, check my profile for the website or simply go to http://www.oshana.co.za (am I doing it again...... :wink: )

The Park was as beautiful as ever - see the pics!!!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:45 am
DB:
Really fab pics - I just have one question, as a really amatuer photographer...did you really take all those pics from your car? (Obviously not the ones in the camps etc). But how do you guys manage to get such great shots from a car?

Erwin:
Except for the ones that I was on foot or leopard-crawling in the camps, all were taken from my car (bakkie or pick-up for that matter). The one picture from Day 3 (chameleon rescue) I opened my door in the middle of the road and took the pic real Paparazzi-style. This was where he climbed onto my camera and was dropped in the grass next to the road.

If you look at the pics, you will notice that most of them are taken at an angle. Either upwards(birds, giraffe etc.) or downwards(warthog, impala etc.) When one uses a fairly long lense - (500 to 800mm as I do most of the time), the shooting angle is somewhat lost by the zooming effect.

No, I do not get out of the car. I would love to be able to walk up to a lion, get out my wide-angle lense and ask: "May I......??"

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:03 am
GP
Erwin, that Froggie you have on your website is a "Rietpaddatjie". Unfortunately I haven't got a cooking clue what it's called in English. There's a huge variety of them to be found in South Africa.

They go under the Species name "Hyperolius". This one is more than likely a "H. marmoratus" or "skilderbontrietpaddatjie". Please, if anyone can find the English name from the Latin Names I've given - Help!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:05 am
Ngala & WTM
Hyperolius marmoratus = Painted reed frog

DQ
Hyperolius marmoratus marmoratus = Marbled (or Painted) Reed Frog, but there are a few more (sub-)species.
Is thisthe one? Or this one?

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:12 am
WTM
In KNP u get 3 types:
Groen rietpadda/ tinker reed frog/ H.tuberinlingius
Goue stekel rietpadda/ golden leaf folding frog/ Afrixalus aureus
and the painted one

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:52 am
Erwin
Thanks all - now I know a bit more about paddatjies (froggies). Must get myself a book on these cuties. I believe some of them are poisenous.

Post subject: Simon's KNP Trip
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Simon's KNP Trip

Simonb6 reporting:

Apr 09, 2005 6:22 pm
....watch this space.

I'm in Nelspruit tonight and aim to be at the Malelane Gate at opening time tomorrow.

I'm really just testing my GPRS link to make sure that it works so that I can post some reports (and maybe the odd image) from the KNP.

Got a copy of the SASOL "Birds of Southern Africa" at a book-shop in the Riverside Mall here, plus a book on Mammals of the KNP so I'm all set!

Time for an early night.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:34 am
Problems with the GPRS link so can only post short messages - yesterday I saw Ellies, Warthog, Impala!!, Dwarf Mongoose (?), Giraffe, Widebeest, Kudu, Baboon, Crocodile, Buffalo, Hippo and Waterbuck plus lots of birds

Will try and sort out problem with the link but at the moment I can't upload pics or reply to PMs.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:38 pm
Good afternoon, workers!

I'll do this in sections....
Set off first thing this morning for couple of hours before breakfast, and returned nearly six hours later in time for Lunch.

A herd of 20 or so Wildebeest, including some youngsters, at Shipwetana water hole was followed a km or so later by a herd of 20-30 Ellies which spread along the S100 for about 2km. Every time I thought I'd seen the last one, I found another one!

There were also several Impala about plus a couple of Waterbuck and a couple of Giraffe....

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:46 pm
....Finally saw my first Zebra - I was beginning to think they had all emigrated! Crossing a ford on the S41 I had to give way to a crocodile (about 1 metre long) then it was time for a "comfort stop" at N'wanetsi picnic spot.

From there I went on to Sweni bird hide where I spend a very pleasant hour watching a couple of amorous Hippo romping in the river, whilst the rest of the herd floated around a couple of hundred metres away, looking the other way....

There were also a couple of crocs having a bit of an argument, and a small herd of Impala at the bar having a drink. What a heavenly spot.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:51 pm
....and after lunch at Satara, I've just had an amble along to Ngirivane water hole where I found a family of warthog sharing the facilities with three very jumpy Wildebeest and a Giraffe.

By the way, the temp was around 34C with just a few fluffy cumulus in the blue sky.

Aaaaaaah - heaven!

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:57 pm
Had a look for Kathleen yestersday just before the gates closed but couldn't see any YRs.

I didn't feel it was wise to go up to every lady and ask "Excuse me, Madam, but do you love Meerkats?".

I'll try again when we are scheduled to meet at Mopane next week - if I don't meet them on the road...

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:52 pm
Still here!

Fist sighting of the day was one of the SANParks choppers - there was a big hunting party outside the camp - wonder what they were after....

Had a pleasant morning amble up to Ratel Pan bird hide, passing my first Ostrich on the way - unfortunately nobody was home so after an hour I carried on up the S39. Some large herds of Impala here and there - and I added Vervet Monkey to the bag. Quite a lot of Giraffe around in ones and twos plus plenty of Wildebeest and Zebra.

This afternoon I went for a run up the S100 as far as the first waterhole - met the big herd of Ellies again then spent a happy half-hour watching a herd of frisky Wildebeest and a couple of Giraffe at the water hole.

Even hotter today - 36C (Sorry Meg).

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:59 pm
Freda:
I've seen relocation trucks quite often at Satara, perhaps they were moving game somewhere, pop into the Duty Officers office and ask Gorden Ramsden, he'll tell you what's happening in the area and lots more besides.
Glad you are seeing lots, perhaps if you put the kilt on the cats would appear.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:05 pm
Simon
There's been a new African night sound for the last couple of hours - the cricket commentary, courtesy of the family in the next cottage

Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:56 pm
I'd forgotten how heavenly Letaba is!

Set off at gates-open - still no cats but a few nice sightings, starting with a Kudu bull with a spectacular pair of horns - he made the SANParks logo look positively wimpish

Three nice Buffalo posed for the camera, but my favourite moment was 20-odd Km north of Satara on the main road when a pair of Hyaena came loping down the road - I got some great pics of them.

A big flock of Vultures was descending on a kill a few Km short of Olifants - unfortunately the kill was a wee bit too far into the bush, but I presume that the presence of all the Vultures on the kill meant that the original owners had moved on....

Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:05 pm
....Plenty of Ellies around Olifants (stands to reason, I suppose!) plus a lonesome Klipspringer to add to the list. Then it was on to Letaba for a late lunch.

No afternoon drive today - I just sat on a bench overlooking the river and watched the Ellies at play.

No cricket this evening either, and I forgave last night's neighbours - I'm very aware of how seriously you folks take sport in South Africa!

Tomorrow night is my night out in the bird hide at Sable Dam - should be fun...........

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:30 pm
Unfortunately the weather was overcast and grey for most of yesterday, so the animals all went on a 24-hour wildcat strike

2 Giraffe, a dozen Impala, three Zebra and one Kudu all day!

Left the camp at lunchtime to go into Phalaborwa to buy a spotlamp and a few bits and pieces before my night out, having been convinced that a spotlamp was a must....

Then I picked up the keys and the bedding from the charming ladies at the Phalaborwa gate and set off to the hide. Just as I got there 21 (ny my count) Ellies came down for a sunset drink - and that was it, all night...............!

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:37 pm
....The sky was clear for the first couple of hours - crescent moon and plenty of stars - then it clouded over. There is some light all night from the lights of Phalaborwa - enough to give you a horizon to the west over the lake.

Throughout the night there were crickets and bats but nothing else - a few fishy splashes from the lake and - at about 3am - what may have been the grunting of a Lion some way off.

Don't get me wrong - it was a superb experience, but some animals would have been nice!

I'll describe the place and post some pics of it when I get home.....

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:50 pm
....Today was a restful one - I got back here for breakfast then went for a lunchtime drive around to Engelhard Dam. For the first time I saw a Hippo grazing - I was beginning to think that Hippos' legs were as fabled as LITS!

Also found a young Giraffe with Mum, several Ellies and a nice big troupe of Baboon, just outside the camp gates. Oh yes, and I saw what I think was a Steenbok, but it shot off into the bush too quickly for me to get a really good look.

I've decided to head back down to the south of the park for the few days so, after tomorrow night here, I've changed my last three nights to Skukuza.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:09 pm
The KNP magic is definitely working - I don't appear to know where or when I am any more

First of all, I'm actually at Letaba, not Satara

Secondly, my last report, for 14/04/05, was really for 13/04/05 and there aren't usually that many "t"s in Satara.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:21 pm
The sun reappeared this afternoon, along with the animals. As you say, Letaba is gorgeous - so restful! I could happily sit all day on one of the benches overlooking the river (if it wasn't for the Squirrel which gives me a hard time whenever I light a cigarette - it must be an ex-smoker, they're always the worst)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:21 am
Just one more thought for the morning....

The lack of animals doesn't worry me - they're there but the statistical chances of seeing them are pretty low; after all compared with all those huge areas of inaccessible land, the verges of the road are a tiny area.

The pleasure to me is being able to drive around safely in the ever-changing African bush, rarely seeing another person, looking at the scenery and hoping for a sighting. The sightings are a bonus and the longer the wait, the greater the pleasure at seeing something - even an Impala.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:05 pm
Aha - there are cats in the park after all.

Set off for a gentle amble this morning and, within 10 Km of the camp a Leopard strolled across the road about 100m ahead of me. It walked straight off into the bush, so there was no chance of a photograph, and showed not the slightest interest in climbing trees

Other than that it was the usual suspects, although today is the first day when I haven't seen a Giraffe. From the get-out point on the bridge over the Letaba river I got some unusual shots of Terrapins (?) in the river, including one with five fish looking confused.............

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:13 pm
....After a leisurely lunch I went out mid-afternoon and promptly met my pal the Leopard again, about 1500m from the camp gate. This time I got a few photographs of its rear end - enough to show that the tip of the tail was definitely white

I worked out where it was heading and decided (very optimistically) to try and intercept it a km or so away on a parallel road.

This plan was thwarted by a herd of Buffalo crossing the road - I checked the times of the first and last pics I took of the herd and they were 32 minutes apart! Throughout this time there was a steady, almost head-to-tail stream of Buffalo of all ages and genders - there must have been a couple of hundred, if not more. Magnificent.

Down to Skukuza tomorrow.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:26 pm
I've been editing the pics every evening - I've taken 502 in total in the park, of which about 220 will be on my web-site next Sunday. 20 of these are of this afternoon's Buffalo.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:29 pm
And today I saw my first Lion(ess) Note the optimistic use of "first"!

After a pleasant run down from Letaba, stopping at Satara for breakfast, I decided to go up to the Orpen Dam on the way past. As I came around a corner on the track, there, lying on the edge of the road, in the shade, was a big pussy cat. She was stretched out full-length and completely ignored me.

After checking in at Skukuza I went for another run - there was a large area of bush on fire south-west of the Paul Kruger gate. It amazes me how little damage these fires appear to do - all the ground bush is burnt away, but very few trees or bushes suffer more than a few singed leaves and branches.

Two more full days to go!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:06 pm
I have a big problem............

Drove up the sand road to Phabeni gate this morning (S3?) then across to P'kop and back up the main road - it was pretty quiet so it looks like everything has relocated since Fevertree's visit

My book says it's a good area for Rhino and Sable - obviously the Rhino and Sable can't read. No problem there, though.

Had no problem seeing the dead Buffalo in the bush just off the H1-1 and seeing enough of the well-fed Lion further in the bush - don't ask me how many Lion there were, though....

Now we come to my problem...........

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:12 pm
....at the bridge next to the De Laporte waterhole there was a traffic jam - aha, I thought, another cat! There were mutterings of "Leopard" but all I could see was a Giraffe which was standing absolutely still - for many minutes.

I pulled back and went into the De Laporte parking area and there a kindly lady tried to point out where the Leopard was - IN A TREE. Of course, I would have totally ignored this story except that the gentleman with her appeared to be able to see it as well.

I must admit, I'm pretty sure I saw something, but was it a Leopard or am I just another victim of the Angels' LITS conspiracy?

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:39 pm
bert:
Things are working out for u Could this gentleman have been part of the LITS club Maybe with beard and YR

Simonb6:
Don't think so Bert - he was definitely clean shaven.

Only saw the passenger side of his car so don't know about a YR. They didn't comment on mine (which is now more dusty red than yellow).

Big task for tomorrow (after a trip to the Lower Sabie area) - take the car to the car wash! I'm sure it was white, not red, when I rented it

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:52 pm
I've decided that Rhinosausages are like LITS - mythical.

Went almost to Croc Bridge, then back via Lower Sabie and saw lots and lots of Rhino middens, but no Rhino. Last chance on the way to Numbi Gate in the morning

Did see another Lioness though - or maybe the same one as on Sunday. The only other thing of note was a Steenbok (I think, not sure) in the burnt savannah which actually agreed to having its picture taken (not that there was realy anywhere for it to hide!) - oh yes - and a Giraffe sitting down - I've never seen that before...

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:58 pm
So that's about it for this trip.

Back to "civilisation" tomorrow - and hopefully it will not be so long before I'm back here again!

Every day, I've seen Impala, Zebra and Ellies - I think I've seen Giraffe and Hippo every day except one. Three Leopard sightings (OK - two plus a maybe) - three Lion sightings - the huge herd of Buffalo - kneeling Peeeeegs - sitting Giraffe - Sable Dam overnight..............

Brilliant trip!

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:57 pm
Unfortunately I have developed a rather jaundiced view of the sightings boards - more of that when I get home....

As for enjoying my last night - I've jut been up to the Selati Grill for a huge steak - best meal I've ever had on a railway station platform

3 days in Pretoria/Jo'burg then home on Saturday night to tropical England - then over to Jersey on Wednesday for a new job interview so I'll get to see Mum and, hopefully, the new dog.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:01 pm
The only burnt area I saw around Skukuza was to the west of Skukuza - heading for Phabeni, it started roughly at the turn off for the Paul Kruger gate and stretched about half way to Phabeni.

It didn't stretch as far south ad the Pretoriuskop road.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:28 pm
....you'll be glad to hear!

Changed my mind this morning and went for the Phabeni gate - lots of Impala, two Dwarf Mongoose and a Steenbok.

It looks like I'll just HAVE to come back to photograph a Rhino (doubtless they were all lining the road to P/kop and Numbi Gate).

Sorry I haven't been able to reply to your comments as much as I wanted to; unfortunately this GPRS connection has severe limitations - it downloads OK but I have to submit any messages more than a couple of line long many times before it goes through. It gets a bit irritating after a while!

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:26 am
just couldn't believe that it was 10 days already, although the KNP is in a sort of time warp - apart from an awareness of gate hours, time ceased to have any real meaning.

The hardest bit was driving at more than 20-30 KPH, and having to look at the road ahead all the time.

Night.

Post subject: sightings in the south 17 april
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Fevertree's trip to KNP 17 April

Fevertree reporting:

Apr 18, 2005 12:07 pm
Entered the park at croc bridge. Within 100m of the camp, there were 4 ele bulls right next to the road. About 1km further a magnificen male lion.
At Nhlanganzwana Dam, a beautiful sighting of a serval cat, no pics unfortunately.
Other than that, lots of eles and buff scattered all over. Was really looking for sable though, but to no avail.....
Nice day, but very hot!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:45 pm
Definitely good sightings to be had. Sorry, if I make you jealous, but went in last weekend ( 12 April) as well for the day and saw two lion sightings over 10 elephant sightings (!) and 4 buffalo sightings. Game viewing is great at the moment, strangely enough the most game is around the pretoriuskop area I found which is normally quite sparse with sightings.

Post subject: Kruger trip report - 14th - 16th April
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wildjohn's Kruger trip report 14th-16th April

Wildjohn reporting:

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:36 pm
Hi all,

Just to submit report for those going soon. Did an ad hoc trip while I was in area - snuck off for weekend. Spent 2 nights - Maroela and Bergendal - with the excuse of having to test out my new tent and get to know Berg-en-dal area. All my mates right it off, and I wanted to give justice to it and spend some time there and recce the area.

Animals seen en route and in area:

Lion pride - Mahlabyanini, nr Talamati,

Rhino - Nhalunguleni & Afssaal, Big herd of buff - inflow to Airforce dam,a nd rock python at same place. More buff -Upper sabie

Wild dog - pack of 10 or so - S Memorial rocks.

Lioness - Bume spruit, nr Gayisenga

2 male lions - matjulu spruit, from bridge

1 female leopard - Mlambane river rd, nr Malelane

Many eles, and osprey on upper sabie.

Interesting to see some burnt patches at this time. The autumn colours in the Combretum woodlands were fantastic at this time. I like Bergendal - there is nice landscape diversity there.

Hope this info can be of use to those going soon. Look forward to my nxt one.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:19 pm
Saw more this time, than last time - was lucky this time round. Good luck to all for next trips. Just hope that the dogs are to den next to one of roads in May - June month.

I am eager to go back again.

wj

Post subject: Southern Kruger sightings April 2005
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mfb's weekend in Kruger - April 2005

Mfb reporting:

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:17 pm
Hi all,

Just a few hilights from the weekend,

All travelling between croc bridge, lower sabie, skukuza and paul kruger gat

Sat

Nice herds zebra and wildebeest, elephants,rhino, buffaloes. nothing too much out of the ordinary as i had left my luck hat behind.

Sun (now armed with lucky hat)

Huge herd of buffalo, 4 cheetah (1 female 3 old cubs) lovely sighting next to road and then crossed played a little while and then dissappeared into the bush one of the cubs even climbed a tree so a CITS :lol: , hyaena, lovely pair of steenbok, ground hornbill eating a puff adder while rummaging through the burnt grass 2 rhino.

Overall the park is looking good and the animals looking really healthy, the burning didn't affect the spotting too badly and even in some places the new growth is already coming through plus it rained over the weekend so that'll help for the ppl going shortly.

My only gripe was the monkey and baboon situation at Nkuhlu picnic spot they were really bold and one had to very wary as they approached you at close quarters even stealing bread off the table next to us while the people were standing there. Made for an unpleasant fry-up.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:58 pm
Saw the cheetah on the H4-2 just before the gesanftombi dam watched for about 5mins as they played on one side crossed the raod and then played on the other side while the cubs chased each other watching a cheetah inflight is trully one of the amazing experinces. oh and yes the hat is all mine sorry... hehehehe .... the ol' hat never fails.

Never seen a lits but the cits is a first for me funny thing I have seen about 4 time the amount of cheetah than leopard.

The other nice thing i never picked up my binos once to look at an animal only ID'ing birds something I have been spoilt by over the last few years is that i could virtually leave my bino's at home :shock: also saw a lot more warthog than usual.

cheers
mike

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]