Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: WAC's Cat Trip!
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just came back from 6 days in paradise! Will report soon.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Highlights

1. We arrived at Satara after 3 nights at P'kop. We stopped by at N'waswitshaka and saw a lion pride there.

2. After checking out the water hole on the tar road to Skuk, we drove on and saw a leopard cross the road in front of us. Yes, a leopard. My jinx is in fact over. :D :D

3. The big 5 in one morning.

Next 3 soon.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ya and its about time too!! But this trip was reali special. I witnessed something I have never even dreamed of. Something I'll probably never see again. I saw a lion kill.

We were sitting at N'waswitshaka around 9-10 in the morning. There were some lions under a bush watching impala coming to and fro from the waterhole. We began discussing whether they would hunt and came to the conclusion that it was too hot for that. Then one lioness sat up. She and one of her sisters mock charged the impala. She lay uner a small bush close by, her sister disappeared. She looked at them in that way and went into stalk mode. Then she relaxed. Then she turned slightly to face impala walking past her. She put her legs underneath her body. She sat for a while like that. I was watching the impala and all of a sudden, they BOLTED. I looked hurridly in the direction of the lioness to see her running at the brown blurs. Her sister then burst out of the bush. AMBUSH!!!!!! I didnt see the impala, but I saw the lion bite the neck. I know that sounds bizzare, but it was happening really fast. The rest of the lions ran to the kill and began to feed. Within 5 minutes, the feeding frenzy was over, and the bloody faced lions returned to the shade. Then 4 cubs appeared to finish off. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen ever. I'll never forget it.

That afternoon the lions were closer to the road, lying in the shade. We were the last to leave the waterhole, and had to rush to get back to camp. The next day the lions were gone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Promise I will post pics!

We also saw 2 cheetah in the black burnt veld!!!! One of them ran for us... O my word paradise!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]