Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mgoddard and Family in Kruger 2007
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well the time has arrived..we have been in S.A for 3 weeks now, caught a few fish and was all set for Kruger tomorrow when disaster struck on Monday!!!
I developed a lump on my butt, had an agonising 11hr journey in the car from the Eastern Cape and spend the last 26hrs in hospital having it cut out..just been released from hospital and busy packing for the Park..SO's brother arrived from Muscat, Oman yesterday, girls boyfriend arriving from CT at 3:00pm today and we are set to leave at 4:00am tomorrow morning, hole in but and all!!
Hope the sightings make up for the discomfort, but will keep you all posted. :dance:

Last edited by Mgoddard on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Folks and Friends
Well we in the Park, entered at Phabeni, which to me was quite a dissapointment...used to the nice bridge and arch at Malelane, almost announcing your arrival...We drove the S1 to Skukuza, now with ppl in the Park that have never been, its quite embarrassing stopping for every Impala we see,..we eventually drove off and I think they got the message...We saw a rhino in the distance...nice big Kudu bulls...zebra, blue wildebeest, saddle billed storks, heron, ducks, bataluer and brown snake eagle..
Then on to Skukuza for lunch...sorry, no time to stop at Lake Panic, will have to do that by ourselves...Lunch at Skukuza was very dissapointing...the food was ok, but the service really sucked...we waited almost an hour for pies and chips.....
Then we took the H1-1 to Pkop, (sighting of leopard-we did not see) we drove slowly towards the cars, and a oomie in his VW Bus screamed passed to cut in front of us...very dissapointing to see this behaviour....we left and went to Transport Dam and saw a very sick lion :cry: not sure if it will survive the night....on to the tar road again, we were fortunate enought to see Sable..., then more Zebra and Baboons and Buffalo....
Sitting at a very nice WOOD fire cooking spare ribs and boerewors.....look forward to tomorrow,.....

Post subject: Day 2
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Folks, Friends and Family
Had a bit of problem last night reporting from Biyamity...what a wonderfull camp...I loved it...We left PKop at 6:30 (very late I know, but cleaning and dressing the wound takes a bit of time)..The H1-1 towards Numbi Gate then on to the S3 to Mestel Dam,, not much acitivity..Impala, Duiker, Giraffe and Wbuck..Then the S7 and we saw Rhino close up...From there the H2-2 towards Afsaal (Voortrekker Road) we saw Elphant, Zebra, AND 3 Cheetah lying in the shade and then some more Rhino...Had a nice breakfast at Afsaal, just a pity Their Ice machine is broken, so no ice for sale, and I got stung by a BEE, the whole place is invested with bees....no Scops Owl, thats gone....then onto the S114 and we stopped at Jones Waterhole...what a nice place, took pics and video of elephant having a tussle...lots of Kudu, Impala and Warthog....Then onto the S25, a bit dissapointing...not much happening except for Elepnhant....quite a few breeding herds...
Due to problems last night I will post a pic after this report

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your comments....onto Day 3..We at Lower Sabie, but as said having some problems reporting...We left Biyamiti on Monday and took the S139 saw some Elephants (its amazing how many breeding herds around), then Bushbuck, Rhino (again, every time we see Rhino its a mother with baby) and Duiker...then onto the S114 - First sighting a Pearl Spotted Owl...then more Elephant, Rhino, Steenbok, Zebra, Impala and a few birds of Prey, cant tell you yet what as I have not looked in my book, (sorry, not a bird expert, but hoping to become one)...We stopped at Nkuhlu for something to eat and then on to Lower Sabie...Sunset dam as usual has a lot of Hippo, crocs and birds....
Still trying to download the photos from day 2...wish it would work so u can experience it with us...
Till next time...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello again, while its workig I will keep on going...Day 4 at Lower Sabie, we took the H10 and then onto the S29 to Mlondozi Dam...not much happening, saw Warthog, Kudu, Duiker, Elephant...then onto the H10 again, a few elephant, rhino, blue wildebeest and Zebra all in the same area....got out at Nkumbe lookout, nothing happening at the bottom, but still a wonderfull site...We drove on and came across 2 lions in the grass on the left and Rhino, Bluewilldebeest and Zebra on the right...stayed with them for about an hour, but not moving....we left and saw our first Honeybadger and then reedbuck...Had a quick pie from Tsokwane, (the shop is not what it used to be like - but then maybe its the way it is...still cant understand it)Then onto the H12 towards Skukuza.....stopped at Silolweni Dam, lots of cars (must say, this time of the year 8 cars are a lot) ppl our of their cars, sitting on the roofs, quite shocking....with 16 lions running around the dam....on the far side....the lions got disturbed by something and ran iton the bush..we waited and eventually drove to the side of the dam and could see a bit more...a buffalo came drank, lay down and quickly got up again, maybe got a wiff of the lions...we waited but still nothing, eventually had to leave as a bit of a drive back to Lower Sabie...Just after this my SO stopped quickly and I just in time saw a Green Mamba crlossing the road....too quick for a pic....Then onto the road to Lower Sabie...stopped at Nkuhlu for a pit stop and more Ice....THIS is where I SAW the FIRST yellow ribbon...It was Ollie and Family...We left and saw 4 lions across the river on the bank...not very clear, but still some lions....about 4km further we saw some cars parked on the side and was told there is a leopard in the tree....some ppl complained to a Oomie that he was blocking their view, he said, my child first come first view......now we have seen all 5 in one day....cant wait for it to get even better...off to Talamati tomorrow...will let you know...still trying to post pics and not working....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Now just wait until Mgoddards blog is up and running in preparation for her year in the park...

@Mgoddard...initial tests went well-just some customisation and the first fully integrated SANParks blog will be running-very glad you're testing connectivity!

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Again Folks, Friends and Family
No reception at Talamati, so 2 days reports to come again...In the meantime I will still try and post some pics from Day 2..Really frustrating not being able to show u what I see...The girls went on a night drive and saw African Civet, genet and Elephant...
On to the next day...Lower Sabie to Talamati via the H4-1..saw 2 Buffalo and then we got lucky...6 lions walking in the road next to and in front of the car....for about 1km....after that we saw a few baboons then Nyala...very skittish, they ran into the bush before I could get a nice photo.....Then onto the H12 where we saw Giraffe and Impala...onto the S34 where we saw more Impala and some birds in a nest...will still have a look in my book to see what they were...The S36 is SHOCKING...we were told they are waiting for the rains to fix it....good luck to anyone driving these roads during the next few months....We stopped at Lugmag Dam,,,saw nothing...then said to SO I would like to take a photo of the Dam, we turned around and low and behold there were 3 lions lying next to the Dam....off to Talamati...the S145 is also shocking....we checked in...No, 1 nice camp...we were off on a Sunset Drive...not exciting at all...saw a Rhino....lots of hares, duikers, steenbok and some Elephants....

Post subject: Kruger Day 5
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We left Talamati at 6:10 and traveled towards Orpen, the plan was to do some washing, but as it was till early when we came to the tar road I told my SO to carry on towards Satara where we were supposed to meet the girls at 12 for lunch….about halfway between Satara and Orpen we saw a buffalo that had been killed by lions during the night…we waited in the que for the cars to move on and eventually, after about half an hour had a spot right in front…it was up on the ridge with the kill lying in full view at the bottom….There were no lions in sight, but after a while a black backed jackal came and was very nervous, running up and down next to the kill, after a while we saw a big male lion walking towards the kill…he first lay down then got up and started to feed…we were still watching this, some ppl got out the windows of their cars to get a better view, got pics of them!!! Then I saw another lion trying to cross the road from the other side…some other ppl also saw this and immediately raced off, I felt so sorry for the lion, trying to cross and ppl blocking him off….eventually they moved off and then he could cross…we stayed a while longer and then had to go as the girls were waiting for us…Had a quick lunch and then back on the same road to Tamboti…
We stopped at the Buffalo Kill again, but this time there were a lot of cars….while we were sitting watching this a white VW Combi with the name Siyabona (Siyabone) safaris came past and the driver was swearing like mad in Afrikaans, first we were a bit shocked and did not know what was going on, he turned around and stopped next to the girls, now 3 girls and 1 guy in the car they apparently wanted my daughter and friend to come with them in their car…they said no…and some conversation took place, not sure exactly what was said…eventually they drove off and so did we, they slowed down..then raced up to the girls again…blowing their hooter….It was very disturbing to see…we drove off, must say a bit fast to try and get rid of them…we then saw them stopping the combi, all driver and passenger got out of the car to relieve themselves next to the road…stupid me, after reading this forum for so long should have known to take their registration!!!! We reported them at Orpen, but not sure anything will happen with no registration…We booked into no 30 and 31 what a beautiful view…Tomorrow off to Olifants…got some friends coming from East London for the weekend…cant wait..this is where we came the first time as friends and now 22 years later we back at the same place….

Post subject: Kruger Day 8
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Once again to All
We left Tamboti at bout 7….know its late but had a late night with a rat in the tent chewing the wires of our spot light…..We thought it was a baboon or something outside on the deck, but could not see anything until we started packing up the next morning and the wire of the lamp was lying all over the couch….off to Olifants and we followed the tar road towards Satara again…stopped at the buffalo kill, but once again so many cars, we went in the que again waiting our turn…it eventually came,, but then a lady from Timbavati Safaris with about 6 tourist on the back came next to us and asked us to stop as “we were blocking their view” they only arrived while we were waiting in the que for a long time to get a nice view…she had the audacity to tell us that we can see this ALL THE TIME…does she think all ppl in S.A driving a GP registration stay here and come to the Park every day!!!! Because she has foreign visitors does it give her the right of view?????Anyway we still watched a while and the lions were still there feeding…the stench was horrible…but it was exciting to see how they turn the carcass around to get to the other side…
Made a quick stop at Satara to prepare a healthy breakfast for my daughter who turned 22 today…like the picnic spots for day visitors at Satara, but they could put up some more screens to stop the wind….on the way to Olifants we saw many Elephants, Kudu, Impala, baboons and steenbok…We booked in to realize after a while that we had no hot water, we called the duty manager and within 10 min they brought us the key of another hut up the road and the maintenance ppl came soon afterwards…it was nice to see this kind of service, but unfortunately they could not fix it that late and left us with a bathroom that we could not use as we had no water, either hot or cold and a toilet that could not flush, so we had to walk up the road to another hut everytime we needed water or the loo or a shower…
Tomorrow off to Timbavati for breakfast, down to Satara and then the famous S100, wonder what it holds for me!!!

Post subject: Pics from Day 2 and 3
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Post subject: Pics from Day 2 and 3
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Post subject: More pics from Day 2 and 3
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Post subject: Next episode
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Once again warm greetings from Kruger...
After a very nice evening with our friends here we went to bed a bit late again…up at 5:10, but did not make the gate at 6:00 (We have bungalows 109,110 and 111) a bit of river view and very nice to sit up on the verandah and look over Kruger…We drove down the mountain on the H8 and then onto the H1-4. We saw the usual, Zebra, Impala, Kudu, Warthog and Steenbok (cant believe how many we are seeing on this trip). We then turned on the S39 towards Timbavati…the road is much better than others we have driven…once again the usual animals but also quite a few Giraffe, until we came to Roodewal waterhole…there must have been close onto 200 Impala, all over the place and a few Kudu and Zebra…two other cars were also there watching and then we noticed the lions lying on the right hand side opposite the waterhole…we could see one clearly in the open, but then noticed another 3 behind the bush..someone came past and told us that there were 8 in total…we waited a while and saw the Impala walking right up to the front lion and then gave an alarm call…they did not run off, but just stood there looking at the lion…then we saw the front one crouching…the next minute one of the lions at the back started chasing a herd of Zebra, it was almost as if the front lion was confused as he stood up and then started running….I was trying to take a video of this spectacle, but there were so much bush in front that you could hardly see the lions, my SO is driving and Im on the back seat, when the chase started he had to reverse while I was trying to take this video…very funny, I told him next time he should not look at what we are seeing and just drive, he can watch the video later…(needless to say, that did not go down very well)…anyway they gave up after a while and walked back to the other lions behind the bush….
After Timbavati breakfast we traveled down the S39, stopped a while at Nsemani Dam and then onto the S100…I can see why ppl love this road, it did not produce any predators for us, but we saw Elephant, Buffalo, Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Giraffe, Steenbok, Waterbuck, and an African Hawk Eagle etc. I like the little places you turn in to have a look at the bit of water in the river…then back to camp for another scrumptious braai..and a beautiful wood fire…

Post subject: Pics from Day 4
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A few of the 16 Lions at Siloweni Dam

Post subject: Day 8
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After saying goodbye to the girls and our friends, we left for Skukuza…cant believe this is our last full day in the Park…traveled down the H1-4 towards Satara..there are herds and herds of zebra and impala all over the place…stopped at Ngotso Dam where we met up with Olie and family again…believe they saw quite a few Cheetah’s, also nice to meet someone else from the forum….We made a quick stop at Satara and continued down the H1-4 and again made a quick detour to look at the Baobab tree, always love these trees..we saw a strange box at the bottom of the tree (not sure what it is, maybe someone’s ashes laid to rest at the bottom of the tree) A quick stop at Tsokwane for a bite to eat then continued our journey…We once again stopped at Silolweni Dam where we this time see 3 lions, but they were also chased off by the Elephants, strange to see how they run when the elephants approached..We took the H1-2 to Skukuza but unfortunately did not see much…checked in at Skukuza bungalow no. 87, what a nice view onto the river, but its sad to see the Park so dry…we did not make a fire, but went to Selati restaurant, really enjoyed it, nice setting, good service and good food…tomorrow we leave as SO has to fly out on Tue am, back to Doha…

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next