Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Restio goes it (almost) alone - Kruger Aug 2007
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm off to Kruger from 31 July to 5 August, staying at Pretoriuskop and Croc Bridge. :D I'm going solo until the weekend when my SO joins me. I'm looking forward to it immensely - just a tad worried that I'll meet an annoyed ellie when I'm all alone. :?

BGS has kindly offered to post an SMS report for me. Thanks, BGS! :D

Last edited by restio on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Received a sms from restio @ 18:33....

Quote:
Hi BGS! Mpumalanga is shrouded in a smoky orange haze, as a result of the terrible fires they've been having. Got to Numbi Gate at 17h00, & went straight to Pretoriuskop. Lovely camp with grazing impie's & vervets looking shifty. A balmy night here. Ciao, restio

I replied with: I'm so happy your save there! Pretoriuskop is indeed a lovely camp. Be on the lookout for dwarf mongoose. We saw them last time when we stayed there. You must be exhausted! In wich bungalow you stay? Enjoy a sundowner on my behalf!!! Greetings

She replied @ 18:51 with....

Quote:
Thanks BGS! :D I'm staying in a hut - 106. It's small & cute. Just having a burger at the restaurant & then straight to sleep. But first i'll toast you & all my forum friends with a glass of wine. Tomorrow i go to Croc Bridge for 2 nights then back to P'kop for 2 nights.

PS: She just made camp in time from the look of things! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:10 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Received an reply @ 13:37....

Quote:
Tell pardus hi! :D I've just arrived at Croc Bridge, where the fish eagles are calling. The park is very dry and brown. Saw a herd of buffs, a fleeting glimpse of a ratel/honey badger and a party of ground hornbills as well as general game.

PS: Honey badger....wow... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:13 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Sms from restio @ 20:48....

Quote:
Just back from night drive. Saw civet, which was exiting for me. Also white rhino, hyena, hares and bushbabies. G'night restio.

Lucky girl! :mrgreen: :dance: , sleep well restio!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A sms from Restio at lunch time.

"I am having lunch on the deck at Lower Sabie watching the cheeky birds. Hippos grunting in the river and hadedahs calling. Saw White Rhino on the drive up from Croc Bridge.. "

:mrgreen:
sigh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:16 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
I was just thinking of restio when i received an sms @ 19:04...

Quote:
Hi! I had a peaceful, relaxing day. Saw a herd of 50 waterbucks, a tiny zebra foal and some snoozing lions. Ciao, R

PS: lions... :dance: . It sure sounds like she enjoys every minute, and she makes me really longing to be in Kruger... quite :twisted: of her!! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:21 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
I've ask retio if it's off to P'kop tomorrow.....

Quote:
Yip, i'm off to P'kop tomorrow. Then SO joins me for the last night. Spectacular sunset tonight because of all the smoke in the air. Keep well! Restio

PS: How time go by in Kruger, to fast for the all of us.... :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:42 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
More news from restio received at 15:27....

Quote:
Hi BGS! Hope you're having a good day.

Hi, restio! Yes, thank you!

Quote:
Just arrived in P'kop. Big fire has been through this part of the park, and it's still burning and smouldering in places. R

PS: Pitty about the fires :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:53 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Pardus, it sure look like the fires restio was talking about is the work of that :evil: man! Just in from retio @ 19:19....

Quote:
Hiya BGS! When i checked in at P'kop, i asked about the fires and the reception Angel said they'd been started on purpose. What a terrible, wicked thing to do! I can also report that, sadly, the fire damage is much more extensive than i realised earlier. I would estimate the burnt area to extend from the Albasini road until somewhere east of Napi Rocks. It looks as if much of the land between the S1 and the H1-1 is burnt and still burning. The fire came right up to the fence at P'kop. The fire did'nt seem to burn many trees - mostly grass and undergrowth. There were also 'islands' of untouched veld so i would hope that birds and lager mammals would have escaped. Still, the park is already dry and stressed and this will just make it worse. Makes me sad and mad to think this was intentional!

I informed restio regarding the media release about the man that was being caught today setting the fires.

She replied:

Quote:
Thanks for the news! Glad they caught him!

and...

Quote:
I guess they're still assessing the damage. I drove that route today and that was my impression. I'm sure KNPSM will be able to give more accurate info.

PS: will post soon another sms from restio....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:10 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
sms from restio at 19:39...

Quote:
BGS, it's possible that it's not as bad as i've made out. Certainly the veld alongside the roads i've mentioned is burnt. But now i know it's arson, i guess it's possible that the main damage is next to the roads, because that's where the firebug set the fires. If it was lots of fires and not one big one then maybe areas in the middle are still unburnt? Hope so! We'll have to wait for the official word.

I ask if everything was fine at the camp...

Quote:
Yes, camp seems fine. Very peaceful

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:02 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
An early sms received from restio @ 17:02....

Quote:
Hi BGS! Picked SO up from the airport and we went to LS for lunch. Now nearly back to P'kop for the last night :cry: Saw lion on a giraffe kill, lovely rhino and ellies. Beautiful sighting of a steenbok. Ciao, Restio

PS: last night :cry: ! Hope you had a great time restio, great sightings today, travel safely back 'home' and hope to see you soon on the forum with a detail trip report!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:27 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
sms from restio received at 19:49....

Quote:
Hi, BGS! Back home in CT. Sad to leave KNP but lovely to get a huge hug from my son, and to hear all his happy stories about the wonderful 'holiday' he's had with his grandparents. Oh, and we saw a special antelope on our way out.... Restio

PS: Happy they are safe back in CT. Wonder what that special sighting was, BUT i just know that i'll be :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

How it began

This hasn't been a good year for me, and by the time July came around I was feeling tired, stressed and very nearly burnt out. :evil: Thank goodness I had a trip to Kruger planned for November. Three blissful weeks with my beloved SO and my much-adored son in the park. But November seemed so far away! I wondered how I would hold out until then.... and on top of it, I had to go to Jo'burg for what promised to be The Most Boring Meeting Ever. :wall:

Then it hit me! :idea: Since I had to go to Jo'burg, I might as well take the opportunity to pop into Kruger. Since work was paying for the flight to Jo'burg, a side-trip to KMIA was actually positively thrifty! SO looked slightly appalled when I explained this to him, and muttered something about false rationalizations. I ignored him. Jealousy makes people say funny things, and we can't all have brilliant ideas.

So that was settled. I booked five nights in Kruger. One in Pretoriuskop, two in Croc Bridge, and then two more in Pretoriuskop. I chose these camps because they were reasonably close to the airport, I hadn't stayed visited them before and they weren't on our itinerary for Nov/Dec. Well, OK, this is a bit of a simplification because I changed the booking about four times before I landed up with this itinerary. But those rationalizations are wonderful things. :wink:

Then, sort of at the last moment, SO realized that he also had to go to Jo'burg for business. And in the same week nogal. So he jumped on the bandwagon and decided to fly up to KMIA and join for me the weekend. :dance: I was very happy. This was twice as thrifty.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

31 July

The Most Boring Meeting Ever was still dragging on when I looked at my watch and realized it was 11h55. My airport shuttle was about to depart! I jumped up, waved goodbye to my colleagues, pretending to be a bit sheepish, but actually celebrating on the inside. :dance:

After a short, bumpy flight, we landed at KMIA. I had read about the veld fires, but was awed to see that the smoky orange haze blurring the landscape.

The friendly car hire man gave me detailed directions to the White River Pick 'n Pay and Numbi gate. He was very solicitous for my safety. "Now," he said seriously, "When you reach the T-junction, you must turn left. Do not turn right or they will hijack you!" I promised to turn left.

By the time I arrived at Numbi it was 17h00. I dawdled up the road to Pretoriuskop, stopping for a lovely little duiker. When arrived at the camp, I was delighted to see the impalas grazing and the vervets playing. I was staying in one of the huts - a small, cute rondavel with barely enough space for two beds and fridge.

I was too tired to cook. It was a lovely, balmy night and I ate a takeaway burger at a table outside.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The next morning, I was on my way bright and early, with a huge mug of coffee for company. Smoke still clouded the air, turning the early morning light to liquid gold. On the Fayi Loop, I watched a Stonechat while I sipped my coffee. Of course, I couldn't resist taking a photo of the sunrise. It's not a sight I often see; an owl is a good avatar for me.

I came across a herd of buffalo munching peacefully. A pretty lady gazed at me soulfully.

A big old male was itchy. First he found a convenient anthill and used it to scratch under his chin. Then, slowly and deliberately, he rubbed his flanks against a tree, causing chunks of bark to fall.

Back in Pretoriuskop, I refilled my coffee, and took a photo of the view from my hut. The Erithrynas were in bloom, and the impala were grazing under the washing line. It was a blissful scene.

Image Image

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next