Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Mother cheetah and three cubs, Skopsie.

Mother & 3 cubs :dance:

I wonder if these are the same ones we snapped at Marie se Gat in September.

I would put money on it! The ranger who left the following day, and who viewed them with us, said that she was a very good mother and this was the third litter she had raised in 3 years near Nossob.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:25 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
She expected a shop of sorts.

Don't feel bad Skopsie's So.....I saw a signpost along the Aub saying Nossob River( well it was a symbol for river) and we drove the dune rd to end and I expected to find a river !!!!
:huh: I think a shop in Kgalagadi is easier to find than a river !!!
I am thoroughly enjoying your report Skopsie......I see there are more cheetah pics to send in.

And a big thank you for the warthog pics....it now makes my sighting more credible. :wink:

Last but not least...what is on top of your list for your next trip to Sanparks.............A yellow ribbon I hope :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, I expected to get it because of the YR. Well, in my (weak) defence, I can say that I worn the YR BETWEEN parks, that is, on the road from KTP to Augrabies. Maybe not the correct way. The pic was taken by SO with her cellphone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Talking about yellow ribbons - I experienced quite a few interactions with people in the Kgalagai due to constantly flying the YR. Here's a typical conversation:

"Excuse me... Why do you have a yellow ribbon on your mirror?"

"To show that I am a member of the SANParks website forum."

"Oh, I thought it signified something special..."

"It does. The SANParks forum IS VERY special!"

"Really, now you have me interested. How do I find it?"

"Google SANParks."

"Will do, thanks"

In further defense of Skopsie - I did see him flying the ribbon on at least one occasion...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist, they might be. It is 9 months later, and the cubs in your pic look much younger than the ones we saw. Maybe someone can enlighten us on how long a mother look after the youngsters before they go their own way.

Yes CC, it will be posted in mugshots.

The camper is great to do game parks. SO is next Friday not at home, and already I am thinking in Kruger’s way… :dance:

July 1-4 Mata Mata

On the morning of July 1st, we left at 08h30 for Mata Mata. We had to take our second coffee of the morning at Marie se Gat, just to say goodbye. Not much at the hole, and after the coffee, I suggested we must go, but SO said no. After only a few minutes, out of nowhere, it seems, we had these visitors:

This was a really special sighting to us, because all the other Eland we saw started running the moment we saw them. Luckily these two were really thirsty. Not even the jackal could scare them, not that he would be able to do anything to them.

Image Image

On the dune road, we saw these Oryx. I can’t remember the waterhole’s name. This is a typical Kalahari scene to me.

And this little war veteran, it seems. I think would have a great story to tell his grandchildren of how to escape a hungry predator.

In the Ayob, we saw the interaction between the Pale Chanting Goshawk, Jackal and Honey Badger in action. I couldn’t get the jackal in the pic as well, but one can see the badger hiding in the bushes under the PCG.

In Mata Mata, just outside reception, this Pearl-spotted Owlet was preparing for the busy night ahead.

TBC....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Wanderw, I really don’t know, but I assume your chances are great to see it again in that area.

2 – 4 July

The next day was our mini meet day at Kamqua picnic spot with Johan van Rensburg en Marli. Unfortunately, Marli and family had to sleep in the car the previous night :cry: and could not make it. We had a wonderful time and were privileged to share Johan’s SO’s birthday. We had chocolate cake and Amarula coffee on the menu. Thank you, Johan.

These were some of our sightings for the day:

Image This could be the same one we saw earlier.
ImageIt seems this guy injured his horn some time ago.

And what is a KTP trip report without a sunset?

The next day was a slow day for us, hanging around in camp to do some domestic duties. We met Tokkie, though. He was raised by the Namibian neighbours. Obviously, the camp has many more friends, and much more food…

And we had a visitor in camp as well

The afternoon drive produced this Brown Hyena. This was a very special sighting, because this was a first for SO.

And what is a KTP trip report without a Camel Thorn Tree?

Our last morning in KTP started out cold, as usual. Luckily, not every morning had this temperature.

And a last pic for the gallery:

Due to the fact that SO had more cold showers than warm ones during our stay, and the bad feedback from fellow visitors on the restaurant at Twee Rivieren, we decided to cut our visit short and leave one day earlier. We went to a lodge outside the park and had a wonderful steaming hot shower and lovely supper. It is a concern if you are told that there is no money to buy gas (for the geysers), or that they ran out of spare elements for the geysers. Imho, management in the park is not up to standard.

Augrabies in the last edition…

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry it took so long, but I do have a work ….

We left the lodge early and had a wonderful breakfast in Upington. On our way to Augrabies, we visited a wine cellar and some other attractions.

The facilities at Augrabies impressed us much more than KTP. The camp has a much busier atmosphere around it. It gives you the impression of a camp at a holiday resort, not in a National Park. But the Rock hyraxes were running around like cats. The ones in the camp have a very easy life. Plenty of food and no natural predators. We met a team of students doing research on the influence humans have on them.

We went for a walk to the falls. The water was low, and the falls not as impressive as they could be. Nonetheless, the falls were great to see. It was late afternoon and the light on the falls made for a great sunset.

We saw these baboons running around the rocks above the gorge. They carried on as if it was a level piece of ground. Unfortunately, they were far off, but it still gives one the impression of where they were. The one on the left almost always walked on his rears only.

The next morning, I waited at the falls for the sun to rise and got this pic.

Later on we went for a drive through the park and met Johan van Rensburg and family on the road. We enjoyed the drive tremendously, because the landscape is very special. The gorge is spectacular. At one spot a Black Eagle was flying underneath me while I was looking at the gorge.

A few minutes later, you are in an almost moonlike landscape.

We saw this Swallowtailed bee-eater, as well as this Cape White-eye.

We ended our holiday with a wonderful supper at Johan and SO.

Thank you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks every one for your responses on my report. I really appreciate them.

Our trip was an unforgettable experience. If possible at all, everybody must visit KTP at least once. It is truly a wonderful world to see.

Till next time….

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2