Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DAY 18 - Departing from KTP

Well, all good things come to an end. The day I had been dreading had arrived. :(

We planned to stopover at Calvinia on the way back to Cape Town, so there was enough time for a dawn leopard patrol, after packing the car.

Of course, leopard mother and cub were probably fast asleep on such a cold morning.

We crept slowly up the Nossob, savoring these final moments. About 3 km north of the leopard den, I noticed a large rock, looking out of place, far from the road. The binoculars were out in a flash, to reveal another lion, a large male, sitting absolutely still in the sun. Behind him rose a few clouds of dust, and springbok and hartebeest were scattering everywhere. Another 3 females appeared on the ridge. They were still hunting, and one trotted off, watched by the others.

Eventually they gave up, the male joined them, and they walked parallel to the road, but then headed off into the dunes.

I could not resist making the most of the remaining time, and headed further north as far as Rooiputs. There was plenty of general game around, on a perfect autumn morning. I looked at the other visitors heading further north with much envy, but knew it was time to turn around. So after a long, final coffee break watching the doves at Samevlooing, we left the KTP.

Well, that was the best trip to KTP by far - these I think are the highlights :

Leopard – mom & cub
Urikaruus
3 Caracal sightings
3 Bat-eared fox sightings
Shrew
Slender mongoose
Cheetah at dawn
All 28 lions
Coffee breaks …..

Hoping to see in April 2008 ::pray: Honey badger, kudu, eland, spotted hyena, aardwolf, rock monitor…..(no lions required :wink:).

For those of you still thinking about visiting KTP, I hope this report has convinced you that the time is now. For those who cannot visit KTP, for whatever reason, I hope I succeeded in sharing just some of its awesome and very special beauty.

Until next time…… :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:26 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Hoping to see in April 2008 : Honey badger, kudu, eland, spotted hyena, aardwolf, rock monitor…..(no lions required ).

Okay I am envious :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: of what you have seen but not so envious of what you aspire to see in April 2008 because I have already seen an aardvark and rock monitor :angel:( and a spotted hyena,honey badger, kudu ,eland)
We saw the aardvark north of Nossob on the same trip that we saw the rock monitor...must have had something to do with the weather. Unfortunately we were not able to get photos
Thanks again for the most wonderful trip report and wonderful photos :clap: :clap: :clap: ...22 May 2008 cannot come soon enough !

:) :) :) :) :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3