Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Black Rhino sighting near Afsaal
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

On May 4th we (my SO and me) were on our way to Malelane gate to leave the park after an eight day stay. We stopped for breakfast at Afsaal and left Afsaal around 10:30. About one kilometre South of Afsaal we saw two rhino's standing under some Acacia trees. We both yelled 'black rhino!' at the same time as they were clearly recognisable as black rhino. We stopped to have a look and stayed with them for about 30 minutes. They were pretty far in so taking pics was difficult but here are a few snapshots:

While we watched the rhinos cars drove by and never even stopped to have a look at the rhinos. Some people slowed down and had a quick look and then drove on. They probably thought it was white rhino :roll: I stopped some cars to tell them that it was black rhino and the people I told were shocked that they hadn't recognised them :redface: The fact that a SANP bakkie had stopped and that the people inside the bakkie were taking pictures should have given them a clue that this was a special sighting though :lol: :lol:

It was only the second time in 10 years that we'd seen black rhino. It was the perfect end to our stay in Kruger!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

rare sighting,Madach.
saw the same Rhinos on the same spot.this was Jan 07.
many cars drove past without bothering to look.what a pity!
these Rhinos were too far for a decent pic.are these the same two,as your sighting?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Muhammed!

I think it's the same ones. Black Rhino are territorial so the chance of two other black rhino showing up in the same place is minimal. I found another picture of (the same) two black rhino in the public gallery. I guess this is a Kruger hotspot for black rhino :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

These people weren't in a hurry but just didn't recognise them as black rhino. White rhino are a pretty common sight in the south of Kruger so people will sometimes drive past if it's not a good sighting.

We had a leopard sighting in Kruger last April where the guy that spotted it first said it was a cheetah :doh: You sometimes see pins for both cheetah and leopard at the same spots on the sightingsboards, I'm convinced that these are cases of people misidentifying the animal.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]